The New Manager Thread

washsaint

Who do you want as manager?  

572 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as manager?

Not sure if this has been linked at all, but these quotes from David Moyes seem to rule him out completely: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/05/david-moyes-turns-down-job-offers-manchester-united-abroad

“I have had a couple of opportunities to go back in and chosen not to do anything just now. I am going to look for what I feel is the right opportunity. I would like to think I proved myself over the 11-year period at Everton and what I am capable of, and the level at which I want to manage.”

“I would like somewhere that would give me a chance of being in the Champions League or a club that has ambitions of being in the Champions League."

When does squad arrive on Brazil?

Going back to RK's statement - did he say that he would take fan's view on board re manager? If so I think that the general feeling is for Koeman

They fly on Sunday to Brazil.

Might as well add my two penneth worth! We have decided on Koeman as our new manager but are waiting until England team have left Miami for Brazil. This way, no medicals etc can take place and we will have 2 Saints in England squad! It also shows that the board are in control of situation and doing it their way, the right way! We aren't going to be held to ransom by players or clubs who want said players! If Lallana and Shaw shine at WC, more than likely their value will be enhanced and we will be in even stronger position. We are also more than likely trying to sort incomings quietly at same time! Expect Koeman and hopefully Pelle announced next Friday when dust has settled. All in my humble opinion

Might as well add my two penneth worth! We have decided on Koeman as our new manager but are waiting until England team have left Miami for Brazil. This way, no medicals etc can take place and we will have 2 Saints in England squad! It also shows that the board are in control of situation and doing it their way, the right way! We aren't going to be held to ransom by players or clubs who want said players! If Lallana and Shaw shine at WC, more than likely their value will be enhanced and we will be in even stronger position. We are also more than likely trying to sort incomings quietly at same time! Expect Koeman and hopefully Pelle announced next Friday when dust has settled. All in my humble opinion

I dont even think shaw will play in the WC

lallana needs to do well or he will be hoiked off the park, very quickly

Not sure if this has been linked at all, but these quotes from David Moyes seem to rule him out completely: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/05/david-moyes-turns-down-job-offers-manchester-united-abroad

“I have had a couple of opportunities to go back in and chosen not to do anything just now. I am going to look for what I feel is the right opportunity. I would like to think I proved myself over the 11-year period at Everton and what I am capable of, and the level at which I want to manage.”

“I would like somewhere that would give me a chance of being in the Champions League or a club that has ambitions of being in the Champions League."

Says it all really

Shame, he would have "raised" us to Top Six level IMHO

Sherwood was interviewed last week

Is it wrong to say he'd be right up there just behind Koeman for me in the stakes. Proved himself quite well at Spurs. Very interested in youth development. Would much prefer him to Magath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it wrong to say he'd be right up there just behind Koeman for me in the stakes. Proved himself quite well at Spurs. Very interested in youth development. Would much prefer him to Magath.

Not 'wrong', more 'disturbed'.

He did well with his mates playing, not sure how well he'd do with players he doesn't know. It would be a gamble for me at this stage in his career.

I thought everything was agreed in Jan, incĺuding fee?

You're trying to be ITK, but you're just not. Give it up.

Student also keeps referring to Saints fans (and club) as 'you' - not 'us'. This kind of gets my back up a little bit as I'd rather talk of potential player transfers is discussed among "us".

It all seems part of the pressure & expectation being applied by the bigger clubs into making us give our players away for a bag of Werther's originals and some pear drops.

Student also keeps referring to Saints fans (and club) as 'you' - not 'us'. This kind of gets my back up a little bit as I'd rather talk of potential player transfers is discussed among "us".

It all seems part of the pressure & expectation being applied by the bigger clubs into making us give our players away for a bag of Werther's originals and some pear drops.

think student is actually a United fan if I seem to remember him saying he was at Southampton uni or something like that, god knows what suddenly makes him ITK about everything Southampton related though.

If all this comes to pass, and it looks plausible, then can we start to say that the board will have made the best of a bad job? I'd take this scenario now.

think student is actually a United fan if I seem to remember him saying he was at Southampton uni or something like that, god knows what suddenly makes him ITK about everything Southampton related though.

He is beyond irritating. Everything from his username to his posts. But I expect that's his intention anyway.

Sorry, would be distinctly underwhelmed if we went for Sherwood. I think he seems to have convinced some by just being mouthy and bigging himself up all the time. Spurs had a bit of a bounce when he first took over mainly due to Adebayor coming back into the fold, but towards the end of the season, they seemed to be going backwards again and he didn't seem to have all of the players onside. Don't really see much evidence there for why he would be good for us.

If we pick Sherwood after Spurs discard him for our manager, what could that say about our board? Sure you could say Levy was silly to get rid of the mouthy and cocky Mr "I won 59%", but it would make us look small time to pick up the cast offs of the club that has caused all the trouble (or could be seen to have) in the first place.

Can't say I'm overly excited about any of the potential candidates so far. That's probably more to do with selling RL and likely LS and AL as well. Anyone coming in will probably have a fairly big job on their hands.

I guess if I had to pick one candidate it would be Ronald de Boer based on nothing but gut feeling. Is he out of the running now though? No one seems to be talking much about him. Hopefully whoever comes in will continue the same pressing style we've got used to - makes us a bit more distinctive.

Please not Sherwood. I'm putting him on the Hughton and Mackay pile. He'd only have to open his mouth once or twice and would have players running for their agents. Let him cut his teeth properly at a lower level and see how he gets on.

We need a "name", mainly because we'll be needing quite a few transfers in this summer, and also because if there's a slim chance we can show our current crop of players we mean business, that would be it. Koeman just seems to fit.

As for Celtic, I'd be distinctly underwhelmed to have Deila as manager, irrespective of the fact that he may get them playing the best football in their history.

Sherwood going very short atm.

I can only assume that all the people who have gone short have been interviewed. It seems to make a short list of Koeman, Poyet, Sherwood, Magath, Ranieri, Moyes.

Koeman - seems to have been interviewed and seems most likely

Poyet - saints made an enquiry and Sunderland quickly tied him down

Sherwood - sounds like he's been interviewed and someone around him has let slip

Magath - saints asked and were knocked back

Ranieri - interviews/talks had

Moyes - question asked and he rejected

Yakin - wanted the job but seemingly was never asked

Mclaren - doesn't seem to have been asked

Puel - was going to be interview but then taken off list

Gross - talks maybe happened.

What you can be sure of is that your board is doing things the right way. They are maximising their chance of getting a manager who works. All clubs should try to be as thorough.

Obviously very little is known for sure but that's a decent analysis imo.

David Moyes would be the best choice. Would not 'be looking' to move whereas Koeman probably would. Moyes would likely be here for many years. We probably need that!!

I'm not so sure, I tend to take a view that I would rather we had a manager here who was looking to improve, make a better name for himself and maybe move on to better things, because the best way of doing that would be to do well with Southampton.

Similarly with players, if they don't want to improve and move on to bigger and better things, there is less personal incentive to bust a gut every week.

The onus is on the club to strike a balance, ensuring that you don't lose too much momentum when players or a manager leaves, and that there are enough other good players left, or coming through, to continue.

In some respects, that's why I am increasingly looking forward to seeing what a new manager and players can do for us.

Obviously I don't think any manager would come here not looking to do well, obviously, but if they have bigger ambitions that is not always a bad thing IMO.

I'm not so sure, I tend to take a view that I would rather we had a manager here who was looking to improve, make a better name for himself and maybe move on to better things, because the best way of doing that would be to do well with Southampton.

Similarly with players, if they don't want to improve and move on to bigger and better things, there is less personal incentive to bust a gut every week.

The onus is on the club to strike a balance, ensuring that you don't lose too much momentum when players or a manager leaves, and that there are enough other good players left, or coming through, to continue.

In some respects, that's why I am increasingly looking forward to seeing what a new manager and players can do for us.

Yeah I get that I just think that the nearer we get to the top 6/top 4 the more stability we need seeing as in reality we won't become a regular top 6 club. Like you say it striking the right balance!

Fairly applicable quote by Teddy R as to the state of the prem and where we are deciding to position ourselves through our managerial selection.

Highbrow moment warning !

“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much,

because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”

Theodore Roosevelt

Moyes isn't coming here and would be on a downer anyway, has no real evidence of trusting young players .

Wayne Rooney, Ross Barkley, Jack Rodwell, Adnan Januzaj, James Wilson ?

Not good enough examples for you?

Probably be mentioned before but this piece is well written and makes a lot more sense than some of the nonsense in the press.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/southampton/10860028/David-Moyes-should-really-be-the-only-candidate-to-replace-Mauricio-Pochettino-as-Southampton-manager.html

And not written by somebody with a vested interest at all!

Most of the Koeman stories from Holland, Spain etc are quoting the Daily Echo as their source which is worrying.

If its that close then there might be something more concrete being reported?

Thats Koeman coming here ****ed then.................

David Moyes would be the best choice. Would not 'be looking' to move whereas Koeman probably would. Moyes would likely be here for many years. We probably need that!!

We employ coaches not managers. The strategy is set by the club so it is normal for the coach to move on every two or three years in the system we have adopted.

Fairly applicable quote by Teddy R as to the state of the prem and where we are deciding to position ourselves through our managerial selection.

Highbrow moment warning !

“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much,

because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”

Theodore Roosevelt

Well said Theodore!