The New Manager Thread

washsaint

Who do you want as manager?  

572 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as manager?

I'm sure the Tim Koeman thing was weeks ago?

Yes, but as my post shows he retweeted that tweet by TalkSaints recently.

And he's retweeted that!

Doesn't mean we've appointed him though - just that RK wants the job.

I know, but its still related to the topic of this thread.

Cowman is the English translation of Koeman.

You interest me strangely old fruit. Can you even have man cows? Ain't cows all chicks?

Here is what i reckon happened, old Koeman's granddad (before they was called koeman) he dressed up in a cow suit and waddled into the milking shed one morning, where he waited patiently for the dairy maid to come along. She was called Helga. She was large of breast and firm of grip. (to be continued)

i like the one where Magath made all the squad go on a long run through the forest, and when they got back they found he'd emptied all their water bottles on the ground and refilled them with piss :lol:

Was it all his ****? In which case, it's a tremendous feat to fill all those bottles.

If it wasn't his, where did he get it from? Did he buy it in? Are there shops where you can buy it? Did other members of the coaching staff have to contribute?

So many questions unanswered.

Was it all his ****? In which case, it's a tremendous feat to fill all those bottles.

If it wasn't his, where did he get it from? Did he buy it in? Are there shops where you can buy it? Did other members of the coaching staff have to contribute?

you make good points, there is logical inconsistencies in this well-known legend. It seems more likely that he drunk the water than emptied it on the ground, this would obv explain the refilling process.

Badger p*ss, know in the UK as Watney's Red Barrel.

I think magath would be awful. Yes he record was good but I just don't see his approach working here. Poch inspired players and they all loved him, they loved the style of football and most improved as players. Can you honestly imagine that reaction to magath?

People say he had no chance at Fulham, but there were so many poor teams down there they were only ever a couple of wins from safety and he blew it. Some very odd decisions and selections, kept playing a striker who'd been on loan in the lower leagues. I know bent is lazy but he'll grab a goal. He ignored their Greek striker signed in January, and kept chopping and changing things. I think they'd have stayed up under meulensteen. Not many agree, but he'd used the transfer window and never got the chance to used his new players, and he'd started to get them playing with more spirit, they were very good at old Trafford. Think he'd have nicked the few wins required.

He did play Bent a few times, and he was shocking. Seriously, really really bad. I've got a fair few Fulham mates (I'm local), and went along a few times at the tail end of the season when they had spare tickets. I saw Bent, I promise you, he didn't look like a Championship player. The kids had more chance of scoring.

Mitroglou wasn't fit, I don't think he was fit when he signed (it was a strange signing). It wasn't really a case of ignoring him from what I understand.

Rene, is the classic example of a top coach, poor manager. Fulham were an utter shambles under him. No shape, no organisation, no direction, no real idea of what they were trying to do.

Obviously it's opinions, and more often than not I agree with you, but not on this one. I saw them under Felix and Rene, they were massively better under Felix.

I really don't see the point of interviewing '5 or 6'. I hope we don't get sucked in by 'AVB Powerpoints'.

Just give the job to Koeman. He has stature, been successful, plays the right way and has a good record of bringing young players through.

Les, please stop f*cking around giving yourself a hard-on interviewing people and just give Ron the job.

I really don't see the point of interviewing '5 or 6'. I hope we don't get sucked in by 'AVB Powerpoints'.

Just give the job to Koeman. He has stature, been successful, plays the right way and has a good record of bringing young players through.

Les, please stop f*cking around giving yourself a hard-on interviewing people and just give Ron the job.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I'm sure if RK isn't a resounding success from his first game there would be some saying, "why did we just appoint the first person we spoke to, we didn't even interview anyone else etc."

Very easy to say given the results, but 2 other managers did badly with Fulham last season too. I'm not basing my opinion on his results, but on how I think he'd have done given more time. They got relegated, so he wouldn't have had much to beat, and I think he was turning the corner. Takes time and it wasn't an easy job, but giving someone money to spend then sacking them is ridiculous. Feel sorry for him as if he'd got a management job with better players I'm sure he'd have magically been a good manager. He was used to coaching very good footballers, and got poor ones at Fulham. Yet a few months of that and he's written off as a manager.

It wasn't just results though. It was the performances. As I said, I went a few times this season, and saw them under both Rene & Felix.

The things which you have highlighted from my above post are really the key aspects of a managers job (along with man management etc.). It wasn't a case of just getting a few unlucky or bad results. They looked woeful. There was no cohesion, no style to their play, no link up between the different part of the pitch. It really was a shambles.

They had a poor team to start, too old, not enough imagination (well, that you could rely on Dejagah, Kasami & Taarabt in spells but can hardly be relied on, especially when you are in a scrap) and probably were always likely to struggle.

From what I saw, I have no doubt that if both men were given the same squad, over the course of a season, Magath would do better.

It's alright saying oh he's written off now. But, why has he never moved into management before? He's not that young, plenty get into management way younger. He's clearly a good coach, maybe he has never been given Manager's jobs because, he is better as a coach?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I'm sure if RK isn't a resounding success from his first game there would be some saying, "why did we just appoint the first person we spoke to, we didn't even interview anyone else etc."

Cortese just got Poch in. For all his faults at least he was decisive.

That wasn't exactly a widely accepted way of going about things. Ultimately, he was proved right of course.

Also, it was a slightly different situation. We hadn't been left managerless, as Adkins hadn't left for another club. By the sounds of it, that appointment had been a while coming. Poch spoke of having watched the team for a while before he took over. So, I doubt that came about in less than a week. I'm sure work and research went into that appointment as well, it was planned in advance, not a snap decision.

As I said, if the appointment goes well, it will be seen as prudent to speak to prospective candidates and see who offers what. If not it will be they dilly-dallied and took too long.

Again, if they just appointed someone, without going through and interview process, if things were to go poorly the "we rushed into it etc." lines would of course be trotted out.

Right now, we can afford to take a little bit longer to make sure we get the right person for the job. For me, that is most important. Despite the press trying to whip everything into a frenzy at the moment (generally, not just in relation to Saints) as there really isn't all that much happening - they are just trying to fill the void left between the season end and the World Cup.

As long as the board stick to the "no players leaving til a manager is in place" we have a bit of time. Again, thanks largely to the World Cup.

If it was mid-season, you need to move much faster. Right now, I think we have a little more time. It's been just over a week. That's not that long to wait to appoint a new manager, I'd much rather wait and put in the due dilligence.

That wasn't exactly a widely accepted way of going about things. Ultimately, he was proved right of course.

Also, it was a slightly different situation. We hadn't been left managerless, as Adkins hadn't left for another club. By the sounds of it, that appointment had been a while coming. Poch spoke of having watched the team for a while before he took over. So, I doubt that came about in less than a week. I'm sure work and research went into that appointment as well, it was planned in advance, not a snap decision.

As I said, if the appointment goes well, it will be seen as prudent to speak to prospective candidates and see who offers what. If not it will be they dilly-dallied and took too long.

Again, if they just appointed someone, without going through and interview process, if things were to go poorly the "we rushed into it etc." lines would of course be trotted out.

Right now, we can afford to take a little bit longer to make sure we get the right person for the job. For me, that is most important. Despite the press trying to whip everything into a frenzy at the moment (generally, not just in relation to Saints) as there really isn't all that much happening - they are just trying to fill the void left between the season end and the World Cup.

As long as the board stick to the "no players leaving til a manager is in place" we have a bit of time. Again, thanks largely to the World Cup.

If it was mid-season, you need to move much faster. Right now, I think we have a little more time. It's been just over a week. That's not that long to wait to appoint a new manager, I'd much rather wait and put in the due dilligence.

I don't think the average fan is very corporate, and doesn't really care about the merits or not of how many candidates should be interviewed or due diligence. This is appointing a football manager, not a City takeover.

Ralph said last week that he more or less knew Poch was going in January, when he himself started. Plenty of time then to start the spadework in earnest for a new boss.

Well, that's a fairly disingenuous comparison, as that was a situation engineered by Cortese - if he'd sacked Adkins and then started his search he would look rather silly.

Quite frankly it makes pretty much no difference if we appoint someone at 5pm today or at 5pm a week on Friday. It's only a few wallies on a forum (me included) obsessively refreshing on forums who can't wait.

We will have a manager soon.

INteresting. Mail seems to think we're looking at a Wales player rather than Dutch perhaps recommended by a certain someone...

I'm fairly sure Koeman was also there, working for Dutch TV. That's where his quote came from last night saying that he'd had talks with an English club.

We actually have no idea how that process went . It seems that Nc has decided to sack Adkins well before he did so. Presumably he started his search for a replacement as soon as he made his private decision , but since he hadn't yet publicly sacked Adkins , there wasn't the intense scrutiny of every visitor to the UK, or trip to Spain ,or detailed analysis of earlobes that we are getting now.

For all we know Cortese might have secretly interviewed several candidates over a period of weeks before Adkins left.

Am I the only one thinking that the longer this goes on, the more its not going to be Koeman ?

No you're not but that's just classic Saints pessimism kicking in. All signs are pointing towards him joining at the moment including popular opinion but we can't rule out that Koeman is a dinlo in interviews.

Well, that's a fairly disingenuous comparison, as that was a situation engineered by Cortese - if he'd sacked Adkins and then started his search he would look rather silly.

Quite frankly it makes pretty much no difference if we appoint someone at 5pm today or at 5pm a week on Friday. It's only a few wallies on a forum (me included) obsessively refreshing on forums who can't wait.

We will have a manager soon.

Yeah, this. Somehow I sounded corporate (which is a new one).

This is what I was getting at, I just used a lot more words(/waffle) to go about it.

Hiring a new manager doesn't just involved the man himself. It will involve an assistant and coaches, all of whom will need to be interviewed. If the new man requests specific players, it may be preferable to have them on board before the manger announcement.

Considering Pochettino about turned and changed his mind and left, the Board are working pretty fast. I remember how Lowe had us on tenterhooks all summer after Hoddle left and appointed Gray full time, then another long wait before appointing Wrigley. Both were enormous deceptions and disappointments as we'd looked for a high profile candidate.

No you're not but that's just classic Saints pessimism kicking in. All signs are pointing towards him joining at the moment including popular opinion but we can't rule out that Koeman is a dinlo in interviews.

I dont know why people think Koemann is the dogs bollix without interviewing him and doing background checks on his past

Lets face I know very little about the potential managers but I fully expect SFC will have done the interview process professionally and will find the manager who meets most of their requirements.

That is partly my point. AVB by all accounts is brilliant at interviews, others not so good. Personally, I would judge a manager by his achievements, not by how good he is at PowerPoint and whether he's polished his shoes.

Kelvin, sorry, I didn't mean to call you corporate personally.

That is partly my point. AVB by all accounts is brilliant at interviews, others not so good. Personally, I would judge a manager by his achievements, not by how good he is at PowerPoint and whether he's polished his shoes.

Kelvin, sorry, I didn't mean to call you corporate personally.

Totally agree with you although an interview is important the backgound of his successes and the way he works is more important

I dont know why people think Koemann is the dogs bollix without interviewing him and doing background checks on his past

Lets face I know very little about the potential managers but I fully expect SFC will have done the interview process professionally and will find the manager who meets most of their requirements.

Me neither, totally agree.

On paper he looks good but my point exactly is that he may be a tosser with no good ideas and the interview is designed to find that out.

Getting Ranieri (and to a slightly lesser extend Koeman) would be a great signal to the rest of the footballing world that Saints are serious about progressing further and becoming a power player. Moyes and some of the other names mentioned lately would mostly signal that our ambitions are limited to staying in the middle section of the Prem..

Am I the only one thinking that the longer this goes on, the more its not going to be Koeman ?

I thought the same about the Poch situation as it rumbled on, after 2 weeks & no approach I was sure he was staying... Think it's just how long these things take, I suspect there's all sorts of legal/contract/sporting decisions that need ironing out before it's all sorted, all this going through an agent too... It's probably just as frustrating as dealing with estate agents

I actually don't think Sherwood would be that bad.

Point to prove

Whilst I think he was harshly treated by Spurs, I think he would be better off doing a year or so in the Championship.

My main concern would be that he did ok with his 'mates' and may struggle with players he doesn't know, similar to Eddie Howe.

Whilst I think he was harshly treated by Spurs, I think he would be better off doing a year or so in the Championship.

My main concern would be that he did ok with his 'mates' and may struggle with players he doesn't know, similar to Eddie Howe.

I was completely against him, but I thought he came over really well whilst commenting on the cup final for ITV.