The New Manager Thread

washsaint

Who do you want as manager?  

572 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as manager?

And AFCB probably allowed him to speak to us. If Fulham havent then Magath will need to kick up a fuss, which puts him in a difficult position unless he knows he is very likely to get the job.

Er no, Bournemouth didn't allow him to speak to us. Their **** of a chairman made huge fuss about it, and supposedly Howe didn't want to come to us anyway. Were you a saints fan then?

I very much doubt Magath will end up talking to us ... Though admittedly absolutely anything can happen in the mad world of football. To have been linked with us is a good thing for him.

Er no, Bournemouth didn't allow him to speak to us. Their **** of a chairman made huge fuss about it, and supposedly Howe didn't want to come to us anyway. Were you a saints fan then?

I very much doubt Magath will end up talking to us ... Though admittedly absolutely anything can happen in the mad world of football. To have been linked with us is a good thing for him.

The way I got it was Mitchell - needing money to pay off some pressing debts - actively punted him to Saints who said: "Thanks, but no thanks." At which point Eddie gave it the: "I'm not allowing him to speak to Saints" big one to save face.

No idea why, but I'm pretty confident it won't be Magath (watch it be him now). He may be harsh, but he has a good track record. So he clearly does something right. I really think if he was given longer at Fulham, they would have stayed up. They looked doomed when he came in, and at one point it looked like they had a chance, (after they beat Norwich & before Sunderland started flying). Note, I am not saying I want him at Saints, I just don't think he is as bad as he is being made out. You don't win the

I'm not massively convinced by reports we have asked to speak to him personally.

Could get right behind Koeman or Rangnick as manager, but Magath would be an absolute disaster IMO. His draconian man-management skills are not what our young, vibrant team need. Can't help but feel he'd only hasten the departures of a few key players who are perhaps unsettled, but more importantly, used to progressing under a manager who actually respected them as human beings. Would kill off any residual faith I might have left in this board.

Tony Pulis was really interesting on ESPN last night. Forget that he was interviewed by arch-skate Ian Darke, Pulis said he has been forced to change the way he deals with players down the years.

When he first started in management, the climate enabled him to be the archetypal, nasty hard-line boss (and in his case, VERY hard line, according to some Bompey players who were on the receiving end). Back then, you could deal with players how you wanted and needed to because they didn't go squinnying to their agent.

But he admitted that he has now had to adapt to the changing player-manager dynamic. Players do hold most of the power these days, but he has to balance that with still letting them know he is the manager.

Instead of balling people out, being a complete hard-liner who accepts no dissent and it's my way of the highway, he's realised that he's had to change and adopt a softer approach.

It was also interesting to hear him on how to deal with troublemakers within the club.

"It's easy - get rid of him," was his first answer, but then pressed on what he does if the player is the best and most influential one at the club, he said he would then get rid of the players around him who give him an audience.

He's a canny operator, Pulis. I wouldn't like to see him at Saints because I don't think he would be a good fit for us, but it would be completely wrong to brand him as a management cave-man with a coaching manual from the stone age.

Yes, his teams do have a certain way of playing, but he's actually a more intelligent and deeper-thinking person than he's given credit for. I don't think you get to be a Premier League manager for as long as he has if you aren't.

Pulis has been forced to change his way of operating as players are completely different beasts. They no longer react to the constant use of the stick, because they don't need to. Managers have to be increasingly aware of how to use the carrot instead of the stick.

Whatever, Pulis certainly got the best out of Stoke players in his time there, and his feat in getting the best out of Palace and keeping them up last season was a tremendous feat.

Rule out the speculation and what does seem fact is that a proper recruitment exercise is going on. Candidates are being invited to interview but no appointment is being made until the selection process is complete and the time scale suggests that the decision won't be until next week, even the end of the week. Koeman is the only candidate that the press seem to have definitely seen coming for his interview but others may have been unnoticed, or others may be coming. Be very interested if we hear that Rangnick is spotted passing through one of the airports as he would appear to be a strong runner against Koeman. But who knows? No one expected Pochettino and then it was a case of...who?

I wonder if Koeman was interviewed earlier this week and it went well. Maybe he wanted a lot of money to sign or something and Saints have leaked a story about another candidate to the press (via an outlet that they also leaked shouldn't be believed) to try and force Koemans hand.

One for Trousers me thinks.

thats more likely and people need to get real and realise that saints are likely going to appoint new managers every 2 or 3 years thats the modern game as to most managers its just a job.

Look at Poyet. He was linked and within a week had been offered (and signed) a new and improved contract.

IMHO The Board have illustrated how completely Inept they are

We ARE a Prem Club that finished 8th last season

We have a crop of Very good players

It was common knowledge that Spurs were after MoPo way back in January

Saints SHOULD be an attractive proposition to Many TOP Managers.

So what's the problem ???

If the Board did not due any prelim groundwork re getting a Manager lined up should MoPo leave, then that is unacceptable

But it appears that way, because not only are they Faffing around trying to attract one that will come, it appears that the "New Project" on offer is not to the liking of Quality would be applicants. We are NOT as an attractive proposition as one first thought.

I have said we will end up with a dross Manager, and end up with a dross project

The way things are going, staying up next season will be a major achievement IMHO

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Cognitive-behavioural-therapy/Pages/Introduction.aspx ;)

So reportedly Fulhams board has denied us to talk to Magath....

Hmm...interesting concept that... :rolleyes:

But did he apply for the job or did we just seek him out of our own accord therein lies the question.

Could be bolloaks anyway but if we're actively seeking out another club's manager would that not suggest that none of the actual candidates tick all the boxes with all of the deciders ?

Wonder if Koeman's agent is now asking silly money now he's in a strong position (his name having been leaked etc). Hope not. And hope we aren't playing silly buggers already by saying we're after Magath.

But did he apply for the job or did we just seek him out of our own accord therein lies the question.

Could be bolloaks anyway but if we're actively seeking out another club's manager would that not suggest that none of the actual candidates tick all the boxes with all of the deciders ?

OR, what SFC are offering does not "tick all the boxes with the candidates"

IMHO The Board have illustrated how completely Inept they are

We ARE a Prem Club that finished 8th last season

We have a crop of Very good players

It was common knowledge that Spurs were after MoPo way back in January

Saints SHOULD be an attractive proposition to Many TOP Managers.

So what's the problem ???

If the Board did not due any prelim groundwork re getting a Manager lined up should MoPo leave, then that is unacceptable

But it appears that way, because not only are they Faffing around trying to attract one that will come, it appears that the "New Project" on offer is not to the liking of Quality would be applicants. We are NOT as an attractive proposition as one first thought.

I have said we will end up with a dross Manager, and end up with a dross project

The way things are going, staying up next season will be a major achievement IMHO

One way to guarantee losing a manager is to actively look for his replacement whilst he is in the job. Correct me if I am wrong, but did we not want MoPo to stay?

If you knew your company were looking for a replacement, would you not actively look for other opportunities?

Not to beat down on your negative anti saints, anti board, anti KL agenda... But at least pick a consistent attack.

They were weak for not keeping MoPo, but they were weak for not searching for a replacement whilst he was in the chair :mcinnes:

i like the one where Magath made all the squad go on a long run through the forest, and when they got back they found he'd emptied all their water bottles on the ground and refilled them with piss :lol:

Petrol? (note to younger readers, look it up)

Tony Pulis was really interesting on ESPN last night. Forget that he was interviewed by arch-skate Ian Darke, Pulis said he has been forced to change the way he deals with players down the years.

When he first started in management, the climate enabled him to be the archetypal, nasty hard-line boss (and in his case, VERY hard line, according to some Bompey players who were on the receiving end). Back then, you could deal with players how you wanted and needed to because they didn't go squinnying to their agent.

But he admitted that he has now had to adapt to the changing player-manager dynamic. Players do hold most of the power these days, but he has to balance that with still letting them know he is the manager.

Instead of balling people out, being a complete hard-liner who accepts no dissent and it's my way of the highway, he's realised that he's had to change and adopt a softer approach.

It was also interesting to hear him on how to deal with troublemakers within the club.

"It's easy - get rid of him," was his first answer, but then pressed on what he does if the player is the best and most influential one at the club, he said he would then get rid of the players around him who give him an audience.

He's a canny operator, Pulis. I wouldn't like to see him at Saints because I don't think he would be a good fit for us, but it would be completely wrong to brand him as a management cave-man with a coaching manual from the stone age.

Yes, his teams do have a certain way of playing, but he's actually a more intelligent and deeper-thinking person than he's given credit for. I don't think you get to be a Premier League manager for as long as he has if you aren't.

Pulis has been forced to change his way of operating as players are completely different beasts. They no longer react to the constant use of the stick, because they don't need to. Managers have to be increasingly aware of how to use the carrot instead of the stick.

Whatever, Pulis certainly got the best out of Stoke players in his time there, and his feat in getting the best out of Palace and keeping them up last season was a tremendous feat.

Good post. Fergie was much the same in terms of softening his approach towards modern players, as well as understanding how sheltered and easily influenced they are by the entourage that now surround them. The problem is that Magath hasn't adjusted his approach to man-management and his career has diminished in ever-decreasing circles as a result. He lost the plot at Schalke and his second spell at Wolfsburg was a disaster after spunking an awful lot of money. Think we could do so much better than him.

i like the one where Magath made all the squad go on a long run through the forest, and when they got back they found he'd emptied all their water bottles on the ground and refilled them with piss :lol:

Thats an impressive bladder for his age - get him in

I for one would be delighted if we got Magath, excellent track record in the Bundesliga (Including with Bayern Munich if I remember correctly) and was great at playing promising youngsters with Fulham last year. He is notorious for getting teams disciplined and in good physical shape, which our team already seems to be so wouldn't be so drastic a change for them.

There were times when he looked like he might have saved Fulham last season, and if he had been appointed sooner then I am sure he would have kept them up.

This is a manager who has won the Bundesliga with two clubs and has European winners medals as a player, can anyone on here tell me why he would be such a disastrous choice?

I for one would be delighted if we got Magath, excellent track record in the Bundesliga (Including with Bayern Munich if I remember correctly) and was great at playing promising youngsters with Fulham last year. He is notorious for getting teams disciplined and in good physical shape, which our team already seems to be so wouldn't be so drastic a change for them.

There were times when he looked like he might have saved Fulham last season, and if he had been appointed sooner then I am sure he would have kept them up.

This is a manager who has won the Bundesliga with two clubs and has European winners medals as a player, can anyone on here tell me why he would be such a disastrous choice?

Because most people hadn't heard of him until he joined Fulham, and then they went down.

Also, apparently he is hard (MP immediately implemented double training systems), and is often not liked once he leaves a club (MP is clearly loved here now).

As I said, I'm not advocating his appointment, but it could be much worse. He was something of a coup for Fulham, I agree (as I said above) I'm fairly confident he would have seen them safe if he was appointed when the appointed Rene Icantspellhissurname, the Dutch Mancunian.

Because most people hadn't heard of him until he joined Fulham, and then they went down.

Also, apparently he is hard (MP immediately implemented double training systems), and is often not liked once he leaves a club (MP is clearly loved here now).

As I said, I'm not advocating his appointment, but it could be much worse. He was something of a coup for Fulham, I agree (as I said above) I'm fairly confident he would have seen them safe if he was appointed when the appointed Rene Icantspellhissurname, the Dutch Mancunian.

Haha that makes sense! Just like people who hadn't heard of Lovren initially moaned after there were a few semi-negative reports of his time at Lyon then...

MP appears to be loved because of his close man management with the players but I can think of a few Saints fans I know that never warmed to him. I think the Fulham fans have really warmed to Magath so would be interesting to know if the players have too.

Agree RE Rene Icantspellhissurnameeither, but that was a really odd appointment. Never looked like that one was going to work out!

don,t mind if they appoint him to be honest and i believe our board will make the right choice of who is best man to work in the structure of the club on the footballing side.

odds now shortening on Claudio Ranieri

He was strongly linked with the Greece national job recently, to take over after the WC. Allegedly signed and sealed, but only via Italian media sources I think.

He was strongly linked with the Greece national job recently, to take over after the WC. Allegedly signed and sealed, but only via Italian media sources I think.

Was sacked from Monaco a couple of weeks ago after, on the face of it, an amazingly successful two years - getting them promoted and then to second in the French PL. Odd

The Greeks want him I think, not so sure that he wants the Greeks, he's to decide by the start of next week apparently.

Not great at Monaco last season really but they still had a half and half side, a lot of expensive buys but also a lot of players who came up from the 2nd division with them, you know like Fox and Jos. Side is only as good as it's weakest elements. Then there was Falcao who blew hot and cold because he thought he might go to Madrid and eventually got injured for half a season. Ranieri handled it all with dignity and some very dubious French, should have used a translator perhaps :rolleyes::rolleyes:

ie the bookies have no idea who it might be

Yes I've seen the "latest odds" and they're still quoting blokes like Yakin (coming in according to 1) who'll sign on in Moscow later today or tomorrow, all done and dusted. Then there are the usual "stick him in and see if we can get some fool to put £20 on him candidates" like Hoddle and Redknapp. Complete bazar really, I mean you wouldn't bet on some nag that you saw in a horse trailer just in case he turned up in the derby now would you. Bookies must just love manager instability in football because people seem inclined to bet on non-candidates.

Can't see it being Ranieri due to his patchy English (although fair play to him for at least trying - take note MP) when he was at Chelsea. He may have improved it since but if the rumour about it being a key element of the board's criteria is true then it may be a disadvantage. Good manager though.

Magath would have been brilliant 10 years ago when WGS left but player management styles have moved on a lot so think he would be a poor appointment now. Plus there are better options on the market that we don't have to pay compo for.

I think magath would be awful. Yes he record was good but I just don't see his approach working here. Poch inspired players and they all loved him, they loved the style of football and most improved as players. Can you honestly imagine that reaction to magath?

People say he had no chance at Fulham, but there were so many poor teams down there they were only ever a couple of wins from safety and he blew it. Some very odd decisions and selections, kept playing a striker who'd been on loan in the lower leagues. I know bent is lazy but he'll grab a goal. He ignored their Greek striker signed in January, and kept chopping and changing things. I think they'd have stayed up under meulensteen. Not many agree, but he'd used the transfer window and never got the chance to used his new players, and he'd started to get them playing with more spirit, they were very good at old Trafford. Think he'd have nicked the few wins required.

Reports since mopo left suggest they didn't all love him only those in his special tea drinking group seemed to be happy others felt left out with mopo leaving it to other coaches to talk to them...allegdelly anyway

Not in France

Exactly, people don't seem to realise how awful the general standard of football is here. Paris SG have spent about 500 million

(or even more) but their side usually contains 1 frenchman..Matuidi all the rest are Brazilians,Italians,Argentines etc, they won the championship at a canter, Monaco were a distant second even with the 300 million or so spent on players last season and half of that the season before to get them out of L2, they literally bought their way out. When you're faced with Angers and Chateauroux who probably pay their entire staff half of what Falcao is paid you can see just how easy it is. The problem in France is tax, everything is taxed to death. 1 worker and his employer supports about 3 or 4 non workers, the taxes are ridiculous, so poor clubs with a couple of thou home gates cannot afford good players, even top clubs can't keep their players nowadays.

French 2nd div football would be little better than the conference.

Edited by Window Cleaner