Southampton set to swoop for Schmeichel

golfdelsur

We need a second keeper and he´s way way better than what we have behind Boruc....(granted, most keepers are)

Would make sense to try picking up someone on a free and use whatever transfer funds we have for more attacking players...

Would be a decent signing but why would he come here to compete with Artur when he's already got Prem football lined up at Leicester?

If we could get him though I'd welcome it.

Decent keeper proved himself through divisions, I wanted us to sign him when he was playing for Leeds in league 1. I've heard from a few different people (nothing concrete) this deal is tied up and done but may have to wait till he's officially free in June.

My guess would be that there would be a stipulation regarding amount of games he plays in order to make the move. Fingers crossed as this would be a steal.

Would be a decent signing but why would he come here to compete with Artur when he's already got Prem football lined up at Leicester?

He's not signed a contract at Leicester so you'd assume he's open to or actively seeking a move.

As with Boruc, some question marks but hard to turn down on a free.

Can't see him replacing Boruc next season outright. Obviously a longer term prospect, but where does that leave us next season? Would he be happy as second keeper to Boruc for perhaps the entire first season? Alternatively would we get the best out of Boruc if he felt he was being edged out during the first season?

Can't see him replacing Boruc next season outright. Obviously a longer term prospect, but where does that leave us next season? Would he be happy as second keeper to Boruc for perhaps the entire first season? Alternatively would we get the best out of Boruc if he felt he was being edged out during the first season?

where does that leave us next season?

with two international keepers, that is where

No but I don't see how that shows ambition in any way? It's just an a sensible signing of a back up player. Someone like Casillas or Forster would be showing ambition.

The article says he'll replace Boruc as first-choice keeper, if signed. Boruc may be on his way.

Cassillas is quality, but he's under contract until 2017 so we'd have to find a huge amount of dough for both transfer and wages, assuming of course, he fancies making the switch from Madrid to Southampton, a proposition I find a little far fetched.

Forster is definitely gettable. Davis and Wanyama were both from the Scottish leagues - Boruc played there too at one point; both have been quality, contradicting the conventional wisdom that transfers from Scotland are a bit of a gamble. Jos was good for the level we bought him at - but I have special concerns about goalkeepers from Scotland. The only worry I'd have over Forster is the quality of opposition he's faced.

Schmeichel would be an excellent fit. Just beginning his international career, recently part of a winning culture and looking to establish himself in the Premier League. Newly promoted teams are always amongst the favourites for relegation, so we'd be a safer bet for him if he fancies hanging about. Relegated goalkeepers have a taint about them.

The article says he'll replace Boruc as first-choice keeper, if signed. Boruc may be on his way.

Cassillas is quality, but he's under contract until 2017 so we'd have to find a huge amount of dough for both transfer and wages, assuming of course, he fancies making the switch from Madrid to Southampton, a proposition I find a little far fetched.

Forster is definitely gettable. Davis and Wanyama were both from the Scottish leagues - Boruc played there too at one point; both have been quality, contradicting the conventional wisdom that transfers from Scotland are a bit of a gamble. Jos was good for the level we bought him at - but I have special concerns about goalkeepers from Scotland. The only worry I'd have over Forster is the quality of opposition he's faced.

Schmeichel would be an excellent fit. Just beginning his international career, recently part of a winning culture and looking to establish himself in the Premier League. Newly promoted teams are always amongst the favourites for relegation, so we'd be a safer bet for him if he fancies hanging about. Relegated goalkeepers have a taint about them.

Dear Pap.

Excellent post. Missing Conspiracy theories though. Also just as the whole of POland is joining the #globalsfc massive it really makes no long term increase in Commercial revenue sense

Quite frankly, I think this is disgusting behaviour from the Club. They should be ashamed.

How dare we look to buy a player from another club who they feel may improve the squad.

Or do we not think like that if it is in our favour, unlike Shaw/Lallana leaving

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

I don't think there would be many top half clubs who would consider Schmeichel good enough for their starting 11. I'm all for giving lower league players a chance, but if this is showing our ambition then it's not showing it in good light. That's not saying he's not a good signing but it's not ambitious in any way shape or form, if I'm being pedantic. Which I am.

Quite frankly, I think this is disgusting behaviour from the Club. They should be ashamed.

How dare we look to buy a player from another club who they feel may improve the squad.

Or do we not think like that if it is in our favour, unlike Shaw/Lallana leaving

?..

He's not another club's player. He's out of contract. How very dare you.

Real Madrid? Who struggled to get the ball past him. A superb goalkeeping display that evening

I'd be happy with this signing - It's clearly an area we need to strengthen and the lad is ready - Been very good in both league 1 & the championship.

Surprised he's ready to leave Leicester when you consider the money they are talking about throwing around.

It isn't an article in any sense of the word though. Your reasoning is complete ********.

Ok, report. We quibble on terms. There isn't much detail to go on, but that's one of them - and one of the few things that it claims is that Schmeichel would be ahead of Boruc as first-choice keeper. Boruc can be excellent, but we missed out on his services for ten games this campaign which has left us in shít shape for victory.

Schmeichel is guaranteed a spot on the team sheet if he signs a new deal at Leicester, Premier League exposure guaranteed. If you were in his position, would you swap that for a place on the bench at St Mary's week-on-week, even if you had assurances of being a long-term replacement?

With him being out of contract, he has a lot of options. He can afford to hold out for first team football, and if he's coming here, I think that's what he'll get. Under those circumstances, Boruc may leave. He's a journeyman player who doesn't let the grass doesn't grow under his feet.

That's my reasoning. Now let's hear some more about how an article isn't an article. Everyone was fascinated.

Most important thing about this signing for me wouldnt be that he's a decent keeper. Leicester have a good side, money to spend and a clear ambition of reaching the top 5 in 3 years. Whether that will happen is another thing. Nevertheless, why would he consider a move to Saints if our plan was to move on our best players, get rid of the manager and bring in average replacements.

Obviously this is no way a done deal, but for me it would completely put my mind at ease as it would signify that we have a direction and its positive enough for a player in his situation to want to be involved with.