What would be successful damage limitation?

shurlock

Always thought the writing was on the wall in jan for MP.

He's gone, we now move on. More interested in what this means for the squad. Is it going to trigger a rush for the exit or can the tide be stemmed? Much will depend on who we appoint but there will be departures. Question is how many will leave? What realistically counts as success?

IMO if we can get away with 3 departures, that will be a very good result...

Edited by shurlock

Depends.

If the new board manages to secure a top class manager, then we've more chance of hanging onto some of our better players.

Top class manager, one or two player sales properly reinvested would count as success for me.

Retain Lallana.

Improved terms for Fonte, Cork and Schneiderlin.

Outline of vision and next stage of project (in other words, we still want to kick on, not treadwater)

Appointment of Murat Yakin or manager with proven record who can unify the club and is here to stay.

Sale of Shaw for £30m and extra £30m given to manager to strengthen the squad at GK, LB, CB, ST.

Absolutely none of that will happen though, possibly Yakin, but the rest won't. Oh, Fonte might soon too.

Retain Lallana.

Improved terms for Fonte, Cork and Schneiderlin.

Outline of vision and next stage of project (in other words, we still want to kick on, not treadwater)

Appointment of Murat Yakin or manager with proven record who can unify the club and is here to stay.

Sale of Shaw for £30m and extra £30m given to manager to strengthen the squad at GK, LB, CB, ST.

Absolutely none of that will happen though, possibly Yakin, but the rest won't. Oh, Fonte might soon too.

Holy **** I'm agreeing with this person (except the last bit, in hope)! I must be ill! :)

...don't think we'll keep Lallana though

Appointing Frank De Boer or Ladrup as they would fit our style. The work that has been done at Ajax, that would be a perfect fit.

Then keep hold of our players and then end above spurs!

I feel that players will leave, but we will have huge amounts of money in the bank. We re-build and look to stay up next season and then build again from there.

I think we need to keep hold of Lallana, the rest will kind of link together then.

Hell, I said the same about MP and he went.

Who knows. The club don't, that's for sure.

Keeping Lallana has always been less realistic than Shaw IMO. Hopefully the need to recruit a decent manager means whoever comes in will be no pushovers when it comes to demanding a budget. That's my fear with some of the championship managers that have been touted.

We need RK to make a statement. A new manager will be appointed and any player he wants to keep will not be sold. In the meantime there will be no bids considered.

You mentioned Lallana would stay if MP stayed? How does his departure change things? Would players be willing to look past his departure if the ambition is there (conceivably, MP left because we couldn't match his ambition)? Or is the uncertainty of a new manager and setup a turn off in its own right?

.....the two who caused this whole cataolg of events since last summer to transpire (Gashton, Osvaldo).
So if I understand you correctly, "this whole catalog of events" is the sole responsibility of Gaston Ramirez and Dani Osvaldo?

Yep. Irrational hatred, borderline racism, or just a very angry confused man spraying hate and frustration in every direction. If he has a cat it's probably just been kicked to death and called a ****.

Racism my arse.

I am guessing it was the expenditure on both with little return that got KL looking closer at NCs spending and future spending plans.

The acid test is speed of appointment of the new manager - this is absolutely crucial given the ride the fans have had over the past month. Pochettino has been ****ing about since the new year and anyone with a modicum of business acumen will have been window shopping the best available candidates. The appointment must have real impact - Koeman, Yakin, or Laudrup - to turn heads (all three have achieved more in the game than Pochettino). The playing staff must then be informed that the drive for success goes on, and that nobody under contract goes anywhere unless the bid is acceptable (i.e ludicrous). The new manager must be provided with significant transfer funds to recruit the 'missing links' from last seasons threadbare squad, and further significant funds if senior players leave. Our aim next season should be go finish above Spurs and beat them home and away, oh, and the FA Cup for a bit of player/ manager / fans galvanising.

The calibre of the new manager will be the only real statement the Board can make.

This really

I still am baffled by the anger towards the board,they manager has walked out on us and from the statement they released I get the impression they were not happy by it,they didnt thank MP for his work just announced he had resigned.

They obviously offered him a contract that he didn't want,you can't expect them to announce it to the world they are waiting on him to sign and it's up to him.

For me they can only be judged from here,a class manager appointed and a decent transfer kitty and MoPo will be yesterdays news

This really

I still am baffled by the anger towards the board,they manager has walked out on us and from the statement they released I get the impression they were not happy by it,they didnt thank MP for his work just announced he had resigned.

They obviously offered him a contract that he didn't want,you can't expect them to announce it to the world they are waiting on him to sign and it's up to him.

For me they can only be judged from here,a class manager appointed and a decent transfer kitty and MoPo will be yesterdays news

This.

And agreed where somsone said it's down to the manager.

Plleeaaaaasssse can it be someone with impact, not any of the usual suspects trading around the bottom half of the prem. We still have such a great opportunity to push on with the right appointment.

This really

The board come over as weak. They don't inspire any confidence. The statement today should at least have drawn a line in the sand along the lines of "If anyone thinks our players are an easy target, you have another think coming" But all we get is wishy washy rubbish. And I love that they admit they are only now just beginning to look for a replacement. Seems pretty clueless to me.

The board come over as weak. They don't inspire any confidence. The statement today should at least have drawn a line in the sand along the lines of "If anyone thinks our players are an easy target' date=' you have another think coming" But all we get is wishy washy rubbish. And I love that they admit they are only now just beginning to look for a replacement. Seems pretty clueless to me.[/quote']

They don't come out with any empty rhetoric you mean. Thank God for that.

The board come over as weak. They don't inspire any confidence. The statement today should at least have drawn a line in the sand along the lines of "If anyone thinks our players are an easy target' date=' you have another think coming" But all we get is wishy washy rubbish. And I love that they admit they are only now just beginning to look for a replacement. Seems pretty clueless to me.[/quote']

Les Reed has already come out and said nobody has permission to talk to our players and nobody will be sold without the managers permission,granted Poch has left but I am pretty sure they were not aware that would happen

The statement today didn't thank MP it pretty much said we where here before him and we will be here after him,no thanks for finishing 8th with our highest ever points total,that to me says they were not happy he walked out and they didn't expect it

I would be surprised if we sell anyone without a manager as we will look weak to any future manager,the statement did say we will look for a high calibre manager so you would expect them to be looking at someone that can take us forward.

Like I said we can only judge by who they appoint as that will give a indication of where we heading,but with one of the best academys in europe and a world class training ground that KL has ploughed her own money into I would be flabbergasted if she now decided she would be happy to sell everyone off and fight relegation

Too many knee jerk reactions flying around,just like when we sacked NA most of the people on here were crying about that and were certain we would be going down

As far as we know no bid has been accepted by the club for any player,the Shaw deal was supposed to of been wrapped up by now according to the press but he is still here isn't he?

Let's wait a few days and see what happens,I am not worried as I think we will lose 1 or 2 players but I am more than confident we will bring in a few quality players as well,especially if we bring in a top drawer manager

Edited by pangy

Les Reed has already come out and said nobody has permission to talk to our players and nobody will be sold without the managers permission,granted Poch has left but I am pretty sure they were not aware that would happen

I would be surprised if we sell anyone without a manager as we will look weak to any future manager,the statement did say we will look for a high calibre manager so you would expect them to be looking at someone that can take us forward.

Like I said we can only judge by who they appoint as that will give a indication of where we heading,but with one of the best academys in europe and a world class training ground that KL has ploughed her own money into I would be flabbergasted if she now decided she would be happy to sell everyone off and fight relegation

Too many knee jerk reactions flying around,just like when we sacked NA most of the people on here were crying about that and were certain we would be going down

As far as we know no bid has been accepted by the club for any player,the Shaw deal was supposed to of been wrapped up by now according to the press but he is still here isn't he?

Let's wait a few days and see what happens,I am not worried as I think we will lose 1 or 2 players but I am more than confident we will bring in a few quality players as well,especially if we bring in a top drawer manager

You've nailed it lad, well done

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?50397-Summer-Survival-Guide#.U4UY73m9K0c

I make no bones about it I liked MP and was hoping against hope he would stay with us . Sometimes blind faith succeeds Christ I have supported saints for nigh on fifty years . I don't think we need damage limitation . I think we will be okay . The board are strong and professional and do what the fans and the club need for the future . We are recruiting fir a fans development officer . MLT is totally supportive of the club . kT is following in her fathers footsteps . She knows what's saints is about and family loyalties , cortesse abused that trust and I'm convinced Marcus would also have dispatched with his services sooner rather than later ' I think she will bring a few smiles to our faces in the weeks and months to come .

lol keep taking the pills sunshine. We already look weak and nothing that has happened today has made us look any stronger. Get real about KL ploughing her own money in. It's a business for god's sake not something she is doing out of kindness. The arguments you use about Shaw (he is still here, as far as we know no bid has been accepted) were the exact same ones being used about MP 24 hours ago. Your point about what Les Reed saying nobody has permission to talk to our players? In that same interview he goes on and on about how him and Pichettino are cool, no issues blah blah blah

Golac the board were not week , mop head had his head turned . He will be the ultimate loser. He had an opportunity to be a great and long serving manager . But he was impulsive and had no plan b . Just like 1982 and that other charlatan called maradonna . Sorry I will correct myself maradonna had a plan b he used his hand

Golac the board were not week , mop head had his head turned . He will be the ultimate loser. He had an opportunity to be a great and long serving manager . But he was impulsive and had no plan b . Just like 1982 and that other charlatan called maradonna . Sorry I will correct myself maradonna had a plan b he used his hand

Nah i'm not saying they were weak for letting him go. I'm saying that they they need to man up now. The vultures are circling and I'm seeing nothing being done to discourage them in the slightest.

Nah i'm not saying they were weak for letting him go. I'm saying that they they need to man up now. The vultures are circling and I'm seeing nothing being done to discourage them in the slightest.

Unfortunately we don't know what's going on,they could be telling every club to do one or they could have a price for all our players.

Until we see something significant that the board have control over be a transfer or manager appointment we can't judge on how the board are doing

Have faith that we will appoint a CL experienced manager and have a £50-60m kitty with no player leaving

Unfortunately we don't know what's going on,they could be telling every club to do one or they could have a price for all our players.

Until we see something significant that the board have control over be a transfer or manager appointment we can't judge on how the board are doing

Have faith that we will appoint a CL experienced manager and have a £50-60m kitty with no player leaving

Yes we can judge them on their extremely poor response to the situation. I have no faith in them but you carry on and enjoy your half term break too.

24/7 news cycles really make everything look worse, as Danny Baker says about the media - if we're not scaring you, we're not doing our job. I really think Shaw and Lallana are already gone but i think its actually more important to keep Lovren and Schneiderlin for the team. We need a striker capable of scoring 15 goals a season in addition to what we have, a good replacement for Adam and a left back and central defender.

From the position that we are in the board should be able to recruit a really good manager. that manager really ought to be able to recruit quality (if not equivalent) replacements for Lallana and Shaw, with some of the cash generated,and to keep us comfortably mid table.

That is the only game in town. There is no next level without hundreds of millions invested, and that won't happen.

Keeping the club safe in the PL will be KLs prime objective, unless a credible buyer can be found, in which case selling the club will become the top priority.

It's pretty horrific that we are now retreating to a position of praying Dejan and Morgan don't go...

If we are now reisgned to losing Shaw and Lallana, we'd better get resigned to losing a lot more. Lovren, Morgen, Chambers...who knows where the list will end ?

Why should any of them stay when the manager is gone, the team dismantled, they are not being kept informed by the board (FFS, they cant even offer Cork a new contract), and one of the big 6 comes knocking ?

Our squad is going to look a lot different come August. Bet we're still stuck with Osvaldo and Gashton though.......

Damage limitation needs to be 3 fold.

Short term ( next 2 weeks), let it be known no players are leaving until a manager is in place and the world cup is finished.

Medium term (world cup-end of July) get a high profile man in, somebody who will genuinely enthuse the place and has charisma. Even if its a one season wonder like laudrap, poyat, slaven Bilic ect , just somebody who players will bond with.

Long term( pre season-start). Loss of 2 players, but to champions league clubs Or man utd. If we start losing players to the spurs of the world, we are sending out a message. I really think every player angling for a move should be told " you are not going to spurs, end of". Really really dangerous if Poch starts unsettling the jrods and clynes and those just below adam and Shaw.

It's gaston not gashton. Have some respect or shall we refer to you as alprat_saint?!

Respect needs to be earned. He hasnt earned it. He's taken over 5m out of the clubs rapidly diminshing kitty for f**k-all return.

I get called a lot worse on here, to be fair.

Respect needs to be earned. He hasnt earned it. He's taken over 5m out of the clubs rapidly diminshing kitty for f**k-all return.

I get called a lot worse on here, to be fair.

Is that his fault? Who scouted him? Who signed him? Who offered him the contract on that much money? Who hasn't been able to get the best out of him?

Same with Osvaldo. The worst signing our club has ever made considering the fees involved yet no one will attach any blame to the former chairman and manager using the 'every club makes bad signings' mongboard get out clause. It's not like the warning signs weren't there with him though was it.

Edited by Turkish

Is that his fault? Who scouted him? Who signed him? Who offered him the contract on that much money? Who hasn't been able to get the best out of him?

Same with Osvaldo. The worst signing our club has ever made considering the fees involved yet no one will attach any blame to the former chairman and manager using the 'every club makes bad signings' mongboard get out clause. It's not like the warning signs weren't there with him though was it.

I would argue that KL has attached blame. Thats why the club has lot its CEO and manager. That was my point. She hasnt sacked them, she's just closed her purse.

I've never used that excuse, btw.