Lambert Replacement?

Saint J 77

The price is irrelevant (we sold him for four times what we paid after all), we will spend more than that on a new player, we have funds after all.

Finding a player who can do the job Lambert does (score goals in the box, drop deep, set up goals, give an outlet to midfielders, keep the centre-backs honest, bang in set pieces etc. etc.) - tough ask. Which striker in the Premier League did a better all-round job last season? Not many...

I would like to think that the board/new manager will make a nice big marquee signing

1-To please the fans and assure them it's not assest stripping

2- To send out a statement of intent to the rest of the league that its business as usual

I like the look of Immobile at Torino,but reports are he is about to join Dortmund

I would like to think that the board/new manager will make a nice big marquee signing

2- To send out a statement of intent to the rest of the league that its business as usual

I like the look of Immobile at Torino,but reports are he is about to join Dortmund

That phrase makes my skin crawl. It's as if people want more big name, big ego, overpriced prima donnas like Osvaldo. I want us to sign the right player, I couldn't give two sh*ts if he comes from Exeter on a free.

Don't agree - you buy a player to fit into a team, a squad and a way of playing. Not to appease fan jitters. Lovren was not a marquee signing, but what a player. Davis was not a marquee player, but ideal for our team. Same for Clyne, Boruc, Rodriguez etc. etc.

Osvaldo? Ramirez? Marquee players. Best part of £30m wasted (much as I would like Ramirez to prove otherwise).

The price is irrelevant (we sold him for four times what we paid after all), we will spend more than that on a new player, we have funds after all.

Finding a player who can do the job Lambert does (score goals in the box, drop deep, set up goals, give an outlet to midfielders, keep the centre-backs honest, bang in set pieces etc. etc.) - tough ask. Which striker in the Premier League did a better all-round job last season? Not many...

Who says we will have funds available? Not once has RK or anyone from board said there will be significant funds available. The fact he keeps banging on about academy and how we will use youth to be competitive suggests limited funds will be made available.

Sent from my HTC One SV using Tapatalk

£4m might be enough but there's one real candidate for me - Lasogga.

Where are people getting the idea that we will only spend £4m on his replacement from?

I presume you also think we will be buying another LB for £27m?

Don't agree - you buy a player to fit into a team, a squad and a way of playing. Not to appease fan jitters. Lovren was not a marquee signing, but what a player. Davis was not a marquee player, but ideal for our team. Same for Clyne, Boruc, Rodriguez etc. etc.

Osvaldo? Ramirez? Marquee players. Best part of £30m wasted (much as I would like Ramirez to prove otherwise).

"He's someone we tried to get before Saturday's game. We'd like to thank Bristol Rovers for their help in making it happen.

"I feel he is the player that can get us out of this division and he starts on Tuesday.

"For the last two years, he has been prolific in League One and we want him to continue that. He's what I would call a marquee signing."

Lambert started his career at Blackpool and has previously played for Macclesfield Town, Stockport County and Rochdale.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/8193383.stm

Sometimes marquee signings turn out alright.

That phrase makes my skin crawl. It's as if people want more big name, big ego, overpriced prima donnas like Osvaldo. I want us to sign the right player, I couldn't give two sh*ts if he comes from Exeter on a free.

Yeah I definitely don't want an over priced prima donnas like Osvaldo again. That felt a bad fit for Saints right from the off. What made Rickie so special was because he was an honest, hard working player who was able to fulfil his potential and beyond playing for us. I just don't think we can unearth another gem like that again. We paid 4 million for Emmanuel Mayuka, so if he was worth that surely Rickie is worth much more, despite his age!? Liverpool have got a bargain and I get the feeling they aren't that bothered about him and will be a wasted talent there.

If we put an offer in for Jordan Rhodes, Blackburn would want 9 million, and he isn't proven in the premiership. Nor has he played for England. I feel we have been majorly ripped off for our fee for Lambert.

Talking of Jordan Rhodes Would he be a good enough replacement? I haven't really followed his progress this year.

He will be replaced by Gallagher. He will play the majority of games next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does kind of remind me of how McGoldrick was promoted those years ago. Never ready, never quite good enough, but we sold all our experienced players and relied on him. That ended well.

All we need now is a dutch manager talking about the boysh.

F uck it when this is all over we are going to be a lot of players down and have a s hit load of cash which the board has to spend (if not well bollix what's the point). So time to rob Swansea of Bony and Dyer and tell Norwich we're taking Redmond I want to see us ruthlessly plundering lesser clubs with our big wodge of cash..........

Don't agree - you buy a player to fit into a team, a squad and a way of playing. Not to appease fan jitters.

No, no, no you got to please and appease the likes of St Charlie, alpine_saint, Dig Dig et al, they're the ones who really count! They're the ones who know, they are the main men!

Where are people getting the idea that we will only spend £4m on his replacement from?

I presume you also think we will be buying another LB for £27m?

Read the opening post.

I haven't got much of a clue how much it would cost to bring him here but it wont be £10m.#

My main emphasis was Lasogga.

It does kind of remind me of how McGoldrick was promoted those years ago. Never ready, never quite good enough, but we sold all our experienced players and relied on him. That ended well.

All we need now is a dutch manager talking about the boysh.

Ronald Koeman?

I see Swansea slapped a £25mill tag on him this week

Probably worth it too. He's not just a flash in the pan - voted best player in the Netherlands in 2013, scored 31 times in 30 matches (according to wiki) for a fairly weak team in the Dutch league.

There is no way that we will get a 'like for like' replacement for £4mil !

Sadly that is not even the biggest problem, as it it the message that this sudden, pre world cup transfer sends out !

If we are prepared to sell our top scoring talisman then we will sell anyone, other clubs know this and so do our own players, that is the tragedy of it all !

Big deal that Rickie gets his dream move, I would have told them '£10mil or f#ck off' and most certainly not have sold him ahead of the world cup and before the new manager comes in !!

Quite why anyone thinks there will be any funds made available for new purchases is beyond me. Today's utter fiasco is clear evidence the asset stripping has just begun.

Ask yourself a question ... why would any business sell an asset at speed and at a knock-down price?

Maybe I'm disillusioned after being so thoroughly let-down by Mr Krueger's now worthless statement but I fail to see any good news in the near future.

Rhodes, Ings or Austin are English strikers that wouldn't break the bank, untested at prem level but then again neither was Ricky and he did OK.

We also still have the Osvaldo option if needed.

Another possible (?) name is Konstantinos Mitroglou at Fulham, didn't really feature for them last season due to injury but could be a cheap'ish option.

Quite why anyone thinks there will be any funds made available for new purchases is beyond me. Today's utter fiasco is clear evidence the asset stripping has just begun.

Ask yourself a question ... why would any business sell an asset at speed and at a knock-down price?

Maybe I'm being daft, but wouldn't KL get a lot more money by selling the club as a going concern with as many of its star players as possible, rather than asset stripping?

Another important question has just come to mind. Who in the current squad, will take our penalties now? Or should I rephrase that to, which current player, that is going to still be a Saints player come August will take our penalties? Now Rickie has gone, We have to go back to being worried about the potential of a missing penalties again :(

Another important question has just come to mind. Who in the current squad, will take our penalties now? Or should I rephrase that to, which current player, that is going to still be a Saints player come August will take our penalties? Now Rickie has gone, We have to go back to being worried about the potential of a missing penalties again :(

Steve Davis? Strikes a good shot, reliable and dependable when needed.

Steve Davis? Strikes a good shot, reliable and dependable when needed.

hmm... I like Davis, he is a great player for us but I wasn't convinced by his penalty against Barnsley earlier in the season.

[video=youtube;8vA9hX-9rGQ]

With Lambert you just knew it was going in when he stepped up.

Depends what you consider Lambert's role for us now? He was already replaced by the club nearly 12 months ago with Osvaldo, he was not going to be our first choice forward for the next 12-24 months anyway.

But outplayed Osvaldo on the pitch and in the dressing room.

I agree with your target but Burnley would be mad to let him go for £4m, he's worth £8 (same as Rickie Lambert is).

Aside from Dellday's dull attempt at humour, the only player aged 32 plus, who has ever gone for more than £7m, is Cannavaro the year he captained Italy to World Cup victory.

We don't need a direct replacement for Lambert - who's really a second striker - we need a centre forward

Luc Castaignos at FC Twente is valued a £4 million supposedly. Alfred Finnbogasson would probably cost us a bit more but he would be another

Either Guidetti or Borini would be good to add some strength in depth upfront as well

I'd love Romelu Lukaku - but I would guess we could only afford him on loan if at all

I'm more worried about how we'd replace Lallana if he left