James Ward-Prowse - Key Season

Saint Charlie

Interesting to see a couple of Telegraph journalists touting JWP as one of the next to breakthrough for England with Euro 16 in mind:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/10916796/Roy-Hodgson-should-stay-in-charge-of-England-set-up-but-he-must-turn-things-around-by-Euro-2016.html

Also in Tim Sherwood's Independent column he says in English footballnwe don't trust young players with key roles and cites JWP as the only young English player often asked to play the "pivot" role in a similar way to Pirlo.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/worldcup/tim-sherwood-on-world-cup-2014-there-is-young-english-talent-out-there-but-we-need-to-trust-them-and-be-patient-9552959.html

So, after now two full PL seasons as a first team squad member, would you say that he is ready to really make his mark and dictate games for us in the PL?

Its a tough question because for me he would still be behind Schneiderlin, Wanyama and Cork in the deep lying role. Main reason is lack of ball winning tendancies which I think holds him back slightly. He will never be as creative or instinctive a passer as a Pirlo or Wilshere type, but its clear has an excellent passing range and technique in a deep lying playmaker role. Someone like Schneiderlin was similar when he first joined in terms of technique, and only really transformed once he added that aggression to his game, which JWP lacks slightly.

In a more attacking role which JWP has sometimes played, either centrally or wide, he has been decent and has great delivery, but isn't really a 'threat' to the opposition - I don't see him as a Lampard type which he had previously been billed as - there doesn't seem to be that knack for goals.

He is obviously hugely talented technically and tactically and both Adkins and MP have thought a lot of him, plus the England setup obviously do.

So, what would you expect of him next season, and would it perhaps influence the club's thinking if an offer comes in for Morgan, that perhaps JWP's development would be best served with playing a more pivotal role in the team? Perhaps it already has with the Cork situation?

Either way, I think he will start the vast majority of games next season but will need to add a bit more aggression to his game, in the way Schneiderlin did a couple of years ago, to really start fulfilling his potential.

Thoughts on his progress?

Edited by Saint Charlie

I like him. Technically proficient, great free kick, wonderful attitude, hard worker.

However, I've no idea of his best position: simply hasn't claimed one. He could evolve into a trusted squad player, filling in wherever the injuries are.

So yes: key season for him to step up and own a first team role.

Not sure about that. I think its more a case that we really solidified that area of the pitch under MP, a big factor in why we improved as a team.

Not sure we could say went backwards but maybe stood still a little in his development. Still plenty of time to kick on mind and I, like others, see him doing so at better pace when he can nail down a position.

Worst case we make use of his versatility and he sees 15-20 apps a season for the next couple while developing before stepping up when we lose others.

Maybe controversial, but could he possibly become a Steven Davis type player?

Solid, tidy, hard-working whilst maybe a bit unspectacular?

It's just a thought that's popped into my head whilst reading through this. I like the kid, think he's very neat and tidy, good technique, appears to have a great attitude and can whip a great free-kick. Did you see that goal he scored for England U-21s(?) the other week? Wow!

I have every faith he's going to crack on to become a very good player, probably not absolutely top drawer but still very handy. I hope that progression is with Saints.

I agree with the op that a bit of aggression wouldn't go a miss, but I'm not too concerned about that at this stage. As is rightly pointed out that is something Morgan added later and look at the player he has become. That is something that can be added to his game I think.

It's just a thought that's popped into my head whilst reading through this. I like the kid, think he's very neat and tidy, good technique, appears to have a great attitude and can whip a great free-kick. Did you see that goal he scored for England U-21s(?) the other week? Wow!

I have every faith he's going to crack on to become a very good player, probably not absolutely top drawer but still very handy. I hope that progression is with Saints.

I agree with the op that a bit of aggression wouldn't go a miss, but I'm not too concerned about that at this stage. As is rightly pointed out that is something Morgan added later and look at the player he has become. That is something that can be added to his game I think.

Not controversial with me! My thoughts entirely. That would make him a very valuable asset. I also think this is going to be pivotal season for him and suspect Koeman will be the perfect fit to get the best out of him.

Not particularly controversial - it's been said plenty of times on here.

I thought he really struggled in some games last season. At spurs and Chelsea away he was bullied off the ball and out of position numerous times. I think his best position is one of the 3 behind the striker but he needs to either become a Steven Davies type and knit play together or learn how to take a player on. With the crossing ability he has he reminds of beckham and he never had the pace or skill to go around a FB either

Anyone who can't see that this kid is going to be a star should give up watching the game IMO.

Technically he is strong, and he is developing physically - I watched him dump Yaya Toure on his arse last season. He's got a good engine, is intelligent and will soon start to impose himself on games. Will then really provide some stiff competition for Morgan.

I thought he really struggled in some games last season. At spurs and Chelsea away he was bullied off the ball and out of position numerous times. I think his best position is one of the 3 behind the striker but he needs to either become a Steven Davies type and knit play together or learn how to take a player on. With the crossing ability he has he reminds of beckham and he never had the pace or skill to go around a FB either

Personally I think he only works behind the striker depending on who else is there. If paired with say Lallana and Rodriguez then fine, but if its with other "passers" then there isnt enough pace or off the ball movement to be a threat to the opposition.

Agree with the Steven Davis comparisons but they contradict this idea of him being the midfield pivot (which Davis isn't). I think he could play that pivot role but needs the aggression to do it well at PL level.

He played there in the Toulon tournament but from watching a few of the games there was barely a tackle made whereas in the PL I think players in that position have to be capable of putting their foot in (especially away from home). I think JWP is very similar to Nabil Bentaleb from Spurs - will be interesting to see if MP favours him.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Anyone who can't see that this kid is going to be a star should give up watching the game IMO.

Technically he is strong, and he is developing physically - I watched him dump Yaya Toure on his arse last season. He's got a good engine, is intelligent and will soon start to impose himself on games. Will then really provide some stiff competition for Morgan.

I won't give up watching the game, but having watched JWP for two seasons I doubt he is going to be a top class player. Neat, tidy, good dead ball delivery...but lacks pace, passes are often sideways and back, not particularly aggressive in the tackle and easily out-muscled. Hope I am wrong and he turns out to be the new Beckham/Gerrard.

Has been over hyped imo. A decent, tidy player but certainly doesn't look like a star in the making...yet. However, he's still only 19, with plenty of time on his side to develop and I would love to be proved wrong. Hopefully Koeman can take his game to the next level.

Personally I think he only works behind the striker depending on who else is there. If paired with say Lallana and Rodriguez then fine, but if its with other "passers" then there isnt enough pace or off the ball movement to be a threat to the opposition.

A thought on this, could it possibly be that part of this was having Lambert up top? Not slating the guy, he was obviously amazing for us. But, it's fair to say that pace and running in behind wasn't his game.

Maybe with a faster striker, he could be a tad more effective there?

Has been over hyped imo. A decent, tidy player but certainly doesn't look like a star in the making...yet. However, he's still only 19, with plenty of time on his side to develop and I would love to be proved wrong. Hopefully Koeman can take his game to the next level.

Clearly you missed all the prem games last season where he played a Pirlo pivot role

He was the only player to go backwards under Poch. Give him a chance and he will flourish IMO.

Having watched JWP for two seasons I doubt he is going to be a top class player. Neat, tidy, good dead ball delivery...but lacks pace, passes are often sideways and back, not particularly aggressive in the tackle and easily out-muscled. Hope I am wrong and he turns out to be the new Beckham/Gerrard.

Amazing how a number of Saints fans can't see his quality. Yes, he isn't going to dribble past people like Walcott, Bale, Shaw or Lallana. But at what his role requires he is superb and will likely be an England regular in the future.

He was voted the 3rd best player at the Toulan tournament this summer, where he was also England's captain...

BpEYI1BIYAAV8kf.jpg

His goal vs Brazil in the Toulan tournament, which won goal of the tournament...

Amazing how a number of Saints fans can't see his quality. Yes, he isn't going to dribble past people like Walcott, Bale, Shaw or Lallana. But at what his role requires he is superb and will likely be an England regular in the future.

He was voted the 3rd best player at the Toulan tournament this summer, where he was also England's captain...

BpEYI1BIYAAV8kf.jpg

His goal vs Brazil in the Toulan tournament, which won goal of the tournament...

Reminds me of how a lot of fans saw a certain Morgan's influence/ability at the start of his saints career.

Reminds me of how a lot of fans saw a certain Morgan's influence/ability at the start of his saints career.

I think some people don't notice what young players like Schneiderlin when he first arrived and Ward-Prowse do for the team and what their roles entail. Most of it is unspectacular as they aren't dribbling past people and catching the eye, but they both have superb technique and are comfortable on the ball and do what appears to be the simple things consistently well. Add to that Ward-Prowse's superb ability at crossing, corners and free kicks and he is an extremely impressive talent.

I'd also add that he may not yet have reached his full adult strength. Part of why Shaw, and to an extent Chambers have been successful is that they seem to have filled out earlier. I'm sure the club are aware if this is an issue, and perhaps we'll gradually see him upping the number of games he plays. Remember how he robbed Gerrard a couple of times in the game last season: this may be more a reflection on Gerrard!, but certainly there's still potential to fulfill. Midfield is a difficult place to impress in as a youngster.

Not really - thought Morgan would go on and be a player from day one - as yet, don't see it from JWP.

He has potential but haven't seen a huge amount of development in 2.5 years to justify some of the hyperbole on here.

Edited by shurlock

I think a lot of people are forgetting that Ward-Prowse is only 19. Look at what he's already achieved compared to when players of his position generally peak, and it's no surprise that many rightly regard him to be a definite future player for England. Not every graduate from the Saints academy is going to be an immediate sensation.

Never said I rated him above Morgan in an absolute sense, you clown. I simply said Mellis was showing good form at the time and should be starting as a more attack-minded midfielder. Pardew was experimenting with Morgan in different positions and it was taking time to adapt, as Morgan himself admitted. But have always rated Morgan - right from his first games in preseason against Wham and Celtic in the championship.

Edited by shurlock

A key factor here, as for our season ahead generally, will be the squad available at the start of the season. I can't see JWP being a first choice CM ahead of MS or Cork , with VW playing a more defensive role. This assumes Koeman does not bring in any other Dutch midfielders.

Perhaps the question for the club is if they take a chance to release Cork to enable JWP to progress further. Personally I'd not take the risk.

Perhaps the question for the club is if they take a chance to release Cork to enable JWP to progress further. Personally I'd not take the risk.

Depends also how they see the team playing because Cork and JWP have completely different strengths.

One thing that is for sure is that to get rid of Cork would be a poor move. Hopefully he signs a new contract. Consistent, low maintenance performers like him are a rare breed these days.

Depends also how they see the team playing because Cork and JWP have completely different strengths.

One thing that is for sure is that to get rid of Cork would be a poor move. Hopefully he signs a new contract. Consistent, low maintenance performers like him are a rare breed these days.

Agree.

Note also the interview with MS as translated on here, where his preference is playing alongside Cork.

I'd also add that he may not yet have reached his full adult strength. Part of why Shaw, and to an extent Chambers have been successful is that they seem to have filled out earlier. I'm sure the club are aware if this is an issue, and perhaps we'll gradually see him upping the number of games he plays. Remember how he robbed Gerrard a couple of times in the game last season: this may be more a reflection on Gerrard!, but certainly there's still potential to fulfill. Midfield is a difficult place to impress in as a youngster.

I wondered last off season why he and the club didnt work on him bulking up a bit, he's not quick anyway so putting a few pounds of muscle on would help him and he's the perfect age to do it

Possibly (my point above) because he is still growing? He still looks awfully young in those photos upthread and muscle needs to wait until the frame is ready or problems will occur down the line. Dunno to be honest, but a bit of strength would certainly help.

Have not been overly impressed in his field play, however he is one of the few in the team to have a really good dead-ball technique whether from a free-kick or corner - probably technically better than Lambert even. Now if he can develop like Shaw has over the next season, he could become a hugely influential player. If he doesn't step up to the plate, he'll find himself being loaned out to a Championship side quickly.

BpEYI1BIYAAV8kf.jpg

Gerrard was probably about two years older when he was a guaranteed starter every week for Liverpool - and he is seen by many as a great.

If he wanted to move you can bet a top 6 side would sign him quickly.

Just because he isn't scoring weekly goals or keeping top players out of first 11 doesn't mean he isn't a top talent.

Our midfield - Morgan, French international, Lallana clearly seen by 2nd team in country as improvement, Davis- Irish captain in his best season for years, JayRod was best goal scoring young midfielder until injury, Wanyama - international (captain?) And already solid experienced player.

JWP still a boy and to get as much game time at his age shows how good he is.

Cork and Morgan are great in our holding roles, i would love to see us play 2 pace wingers and one striker, it gives someone space to be a either number 10 player or have freedom to be the one spraying the passes to wingers or the number 9.

However i am not sure what RK wants from his teams and his different tactics he uses.

If he wanted to move you can bet a top 6 side would sign him quickly.

Just because he isn't scoring weekly goals or keeping top players out of first 11 doesn't mean he isn't a top talent.

Our midfield - Morgan, French international, Lallana clearly seen by 2nd team in country as improvement, Davis- Irish captain in his best season for years, JayRod was best goal scoring young midfielder until injury, Wanyama - international (captain?) And already solid experienced player.

JWP still a boy and to get as much game time at his age shows how good he is.

Head, nail for me.