Osvaldo

SO16_Saint

So now we are 'looking to sell'? We have been looking to sell or loan out until now.

That comment weakens our hand and we will be lucky to get £5M back, maybe not even £3M.

I would have looked to loan him again and hope he does well. Yes, ever the optimist. :D

Fortunately, (for him) he missed the World Cup fiasco, and so may have a second chance with their national side, but several sites have stated that he is " well-regarded " in Italy, (which must say something about the mentality of Italian fans), but although we won't be able to recover the entire fee, I'd expect us to get a reasonable deal to get him off the books, and pass on his salary to someone more deserving .....who wants to play for Saints.

he will be here all summer and will eventually go out on loan on the last day of the window for no fee and maybe even us paying some of his wages. Buyers marketing with him. We don't hold any cards at all.

I would love someone ITK to confirm his fee that we paid. It was supposedly a lot less than the £15m oft quoted. There are a lot of people saying it was actually £12.9m but then someone said it might be as low as £9m, with appearance fees (obv not worth much, and other add ons). Fortunately any o/s payments have benefited with the FX rate moving in our favour.

he will be here all summer and will eventually go out on loan on the last day of the window for no fee and maybe even us paying some of his wages. Buyers marketing with him. We don't hold any cards at all.

We should loan him to Liverpool, that would **** off Judas Lallana and Judas Lovren. In fact he could do us a favour and glasgow kiss them while he is there.

Approximate translation:

"Osvaldo has said yes to Inter. There has been contacts even during the last few hours, the striker having for some time broken (his relationship) with Southampton, wants to return to Italy and also to forget his sidelining at Juve. Mazzari likes him a lot and had wanted him at Napoli if he hadn't at the time been so restricted in his ability to manoeuver [financially]. The contacts have arrived at this result: the striker saying yes, with the position of finishing the loan with a release fee. The situation could change only if Juve, following important transfer business also had the funds to invest in the striker. But Mazzari likes Osvaldo so it's just a question of waiting for the next moves."

No mention of the fee for Saints in there: is the Juve loan an ongoing thing? Boh.

We were stupid enough to buy him a year ago; someone else will be stupid enough to do the same thing now. If we get even half what we paid, it'll be good business.

Terrible business to sell a player at a huge loss but we have no choice now

What about doing a player swap with Inter?

I've lost touch with Serie A but who might Inter have available that Saints might want and who would fancy a move to England? If the new addition worked out well, it might be worth a gamble and they could be worth a lot more than the lower fee or loan fee we'd get now. Osvaldo would also be off our hands for good and I suspect he'd be keen to go there and waive any payments or bonuses Saints owe him to make a move happen.

There was a rumour a while ago about Japanese player Honda not doing well at Inter and could be part of swap deal for Osvaldo does anyone else remember this or am I starting to lose touch with reality ? numbness to fingers due to repetitive F5 ing spreading to my head .Come on sign someone !

There was a rumour a while ago about Japanese player Honda not doing well at Inter and could be part of swap deal for Osvaldo does anyone else remember this or am I starting to lose touch with reality ? numbness to fingers due to repetitive F5 ing spreading to my head .Come on sign someone !

Would be interesting for AC Milan to send us one of their players just so Inter could take on Osvaldo. Not sure he's destructive enough for that to make sense for AC...

Look on the bright side....since WHU signed Carroll for £15m, he has made 12 appearances for 2 goals, now out for another 4 months all for the princely sum of a reported £90k a week. Osvaldo, 13 appearances for 3 goals for what is it, £65k a week which while on loan, we agreed not to pay a penny. Would be interesting to see who realises the most from any sales.

I've been Ossie's biggest fan but he's been an absolute plum and it's time he moved on.

A damn shame as I firmly believe he could have been class but his head is a mess and SFC haven't got the time or inclination to psychoanalyse the guy.

If we get a reasonable offer it really is time to draw the line on this one.

Looks like it is a loan and Inter will only buy him later if he behaves himself - and if he scores some goals. Amazing that a player with the World Cup as a real prospect this time last year could throw it all away by lack of self-control and failing to work hard enough. He was stupid then so he's probably still stupid now and I wouldn't bank on him changing his ways at Inter if he is loaned to them. This problem might take a long time to be settled.

One would hope that he realises that he is in the last chance saloon, but as the Prof says, if a WC couldn't get him to knuckle down....... So hopefully he will bang in the goals and we can be shot of him. I presume that we, like last season, won't be paying his wages and that there is an arrangement fee of some sorts???

Lots of Inter talk at the moment - But conflicting reports as to whether it's a loan or permanent.

It will only ever be a loan. Never a permanent transfer

Why ?? Because no-one wants him as a permanent liability. Juve sent him back (theoretically) when his loan was up. Forget all the "option to buy" at the end of the loan. It aint gonna happen

So that circa £15M down the drain

No wonder Katharina is getting her money back with other player sales

Can we loan Saint Richmond to the Ugly Inside board for the season

Why ?? Because no-one wants him as a permanent liability. Nick will send him back when his loan is up. Forget all the "option to buy" at the end of the loan. It aint gonna happen

So that circa £5 down the drain.

No wonder steve is getting his money back by allowing stu and dune back.

Why ?? Because no-one wants him as a permanent liability. Nick will send him back when his loan is up. Forget all the "option to buy" at the end of the loan. It aint gonna happen

:lol:

You still here Richmond, with your trite negativity?

Negativity ?? The whole Osvaldo saga is negative, right from the time SFC bought him

Just for a laugh answer my post

Exactly what is it I have said about the Osvaldo situation don't you agree with ??

Do you really expect ANY team to want to buy him when they know we are desperate to get rid of ?

No. They will only ever take him on loan. Don't you agree ?? If not, why not ??

Why ?? Because no-one wants him as a permanent liability. Juve sent him back (theoretically) when his loan was up. Forget all the "option to buy" at the end of the loan. It aint gonna happen

So that circa £15M down the drain

No wonder Katharina is getting her money back with other player sales

1. We didn´t pay £15m for Osvaldo (unless you think he´s done enough for the add-ons to be payed out)

2. When you loan out a player there´s a fee that the club will get, in Juves case the talk was about £2m.

3. You still think there is a fire-sale ongoing?

1. We didn´t pay £15m for Osvaldo (unless you think he´s done enough for the add-ons to be payed out)

2. When you loan out a player there´s a fee that the club will get, in Juves case the talk was about £2m.

3. You still think there is a fire-sale ongoing?

1) I'll accept whatever you say re what we paid for him. What I am saying is that we will not be able to sell him, because no-one wants to buy him ( IMHO )

2) Yes, of course we get a fee, but we also get the player back after the loan is over, and the loan club don't take up the option to buy

3) "Fire Sale" You tell me what the right word is. Other Clubs don't sell off their best players (something that Cortese said was going to happen) Other clubs say "he's not for sale" if they want to keep them. Mourinho has very recently done exactly that in respect of now having 2 very good keepers

We have seen Lambert, Shaw and Lallana go, Lovren and Schneiderlin are reported to be next, we don't yet know what Ramirex will do, and no attempt whatsoever to stem the flow

I still think that Katharina is cashing in on our "stars" to recoup the Leibherr outlay. I also think she is under the impression that staying in the Prem is a piece of PiZZ

Negative thoughts ?? Of course it is. Apart from having the stripes back, there's not much else to enthuse about ATM IMHO

1) I'll accept whatever you say re what we paid for him. What I am saying is that we will not be able to sell him, because no-one wants to buy him ( IMHO )

2) Yes, of course we get a fee, but we also get the player back after the loan is over, and the loan club don't take up the option to buy

3) "Fire Sale" You tell me what the right word is. Other Clubs don't sell off their best players (something that Cortese said was going to happen) Other clubs say "he's not for sale" if they want to keep them. Mourinho has very recently done exactly that in respect of now having 2 very good keepers

We have seen Lambert, Shaw and Lallana go, Lovren and Schneiderlin are reported to be next, we don't yet know what Ramirex will do, and no attempt whatsoever to stem the flow

I still think that Katharina is cashing in on our "stars" to recoup the Leibherr outlay. I also think she is under the impression that staying in the Prem is a piece of PiZZ

Negative thoughts ?? Of course it is. Apart from having the stripes back, there's not much else to enthuse about ATM IMHO

1. Makes a nice change, hurrah!

2. And this point about still owning the player at the end of the loan is negative/relevant how? It makes as much sense (financially) to keep loaning Oswaldo out rather than sell cheap.

3. All clubs sell their best players. Every player that has ever gone for a large, headline worthy fee, was that clubs best player when he was sold. Work it out, then get back to me.

4. The H in IMHO stands for Humble. If your opinion really was humble, you wouldn't be banging on and on about it.

I'm with Richmond on this one, why on earth would a club spend money to sign him, when they could have him on loan and just pay his wages (+ possibly a small signing on fee).

If you ran any club and you knew his history, but were willing to bring him in to see if he can put that past him and perform to his potential. Would it be better to:

A) Spend £5-10m up front, then pay his wages. If he is a success you've done well. If he isn't, you too have lost money as you'll sell him for less than you paid, like Southampton did.

Or,

B) Spend nothing or a small amount up front, then pay his wages. If he is a success, sign him permanently at the end of the season. If he isn't, back to Southampton he goes.

If we were only willing to sell it would be a different story, but we just seem interested in making sure he isn't here and isn't on the wage bill.

This also means we could end up getting nothing for him though and losing all of the money we paid. If we loan him out season after season until his contract runs out, he'll leave for free. He'll find another club very quickly then, as he's worth a risk to an Italian club who don't have big transfer funds, but can pay a moderate wage. This also means this is far, far from his 'last chance'. He'll always have a club to pay his wages and I don't think he really cares who, he just wants his ego tickled and money in the bank.

I'm with Richmond on this one, why on earth would a club spend money to sign him, when they could have him on loan and just pay his wages (+ possibly a small signing on fee).

If you ran any club and you knew his history, but were willing to bring him in to see if he can put that past him and perform to his potential. Would it be better to:

A) Spend £5-10m up front, then pay his wages. If he is a success you've done well. If he isn't, you too have lost money as you'll sell him for less than you paid, like Southampton did.

Or,

B) Spend nothing or a small amount up front, then pay his wages. If he is a success, sign him permanently at the end of the season. If he isn't, back to Southampton he goes.

If we were only willing to sell it would be a different story, but we just seem interested in making sure he isn't here and isn't on the wage bill.

This also means we could end up getting nothing for him though and losing all of the money we paid. If we loan him out season after season until his contract runs out, he'll leave for free. He'll find another club very quickly then, as he's worth a risk to an Italian club who don't have big transfer funds, but can pay a moderate wage. This also means this is far, far from his 'last chance'. He'll always have a club to pay his wages and I don't think he really cares who, he just wants his ego tickled and money in the bank.

This is a reasonable view, but it is just as possible that Oswaldo will have a great season on loan and go for megabucks transfer fee.

It is ALL about the wages really, it suits us to 'own' the player as long as we are not losing his weekly wage.

5mil now or 0mil in three years makes very little difference to us at this point.

"IMHO" you are wrong. You are of course entitled to your wrong opinion, but it is still wrong. And so what if she did want to get some of her money back? If you don't like it, why not buy her out? And by the sounds of it, you seem to think that you can do a better job running the club (obviously you are armed with ALL the facts to make such assumptions), so rather than bïtching from the sidelines, get off you arse and help run the club.

But anyway, do you really think that the value of her asset would be enhanced by cashing in now followed by relegation? Do you really think that they are that naive in business and they can't see what you can see? And if it is a closing down sale, why appoint Koeman, a world renowned figure, rather than an Irvine type character?

Negative thoughts ?? Of course it is.

There seem to be two types of people. One is a morose bore, who at the merest hint of difficulty goes into total meltdown. That's fine, but they fail to understand that most people don't want to join them in their self pitiful darkness that they try and spread on one and all ad nauseam. Then there are others who accept the set backs, try and look for positives and get on with it. Me, I see that we have a fantastic name as a manager (it would be too easy and far too early to say we have a fantastic manager). All you ever do is moan, moan, moan. I am sure that your heart is in the right place (!!!???) but as I say, people don't want to read your unending negativity and criticism, especially when you are not in possession of all the facts.

Apart from having the stripes back, there's not much else to enthuse about ATM IMHO

Hence why I mused that you might be better off supporting Chelsea or someone like that. You might at least be less negative and happier. Actually if you are so unhappy, why do you bother supporting Saints at all? I know that you say you support the team not the board, and I said no one supports the board but just the team, but really they are part and parcel of the same thing.

It's not difficult to feel down about losing good players but when you say there's not much else to enthuse about have you forgotten that we've signed two good looking players - Pelle and Tadic - I'm enthused by that.

Funny how none of the responsibility for signing him has stuck on Potchetino, but he gets the credit for Lovren...........................................

Either MP or Cortese or both, either way I agree that the messianic image of these two has not been tarnished at all by this most expensive of mistakes.

:lol: gold!

3) "Fire Sale" You tell me what the right word is.

A fire sale is "a sale of goods or assets at a very low price, typically when the seller is facing bankruptcy." Selling assets for absolutely top price in the face of an intractable situation i.e. the player threatening to go on strike, is definitely not a fire sale. I'd say the right phrase is maximising the situation for the club when backed into a corner.

With the exception of Leighton Baines, name me one player that has been wanted by any of the top four or Manchester United, that has stayed at their club...... I'll keep checking back for an update

The reality is that they get what and who they want, regardless of how much any club wants to keep them. The rights and wrongs of it is a separate argument, but has nothing to do with the Club trying to raise funds.

I don't think we got a fee for lending Osvaldo to Juventus. That is a surprise if I am correct but not much I think given the circumstances in which he left. Id hope we got say £1m out of it for what was essentially 3 months or so(?) but i doubt it. Juve probably just paid his wages and had an option to buy at the end which they've not picked up.

As Juve did not want him at the option price then be aware that SFC would surely have ultimately said "so at what price will you have him?"....That he is not a Juve player today indicates that either (a) they do not want him full stop or (b) given the opportunity to maybe buy him cheap and then flog him on again at a profit they are still not interested or © they made a derisory offer that SFC would not countenance or (d) even the chance of another loan to them is not happening either due to either SFC, Juve or his intransigence.

Given all that id say its 50-50 on a sale v another loan. A loan for instance might get us c £2-£3M for this season to put into the transfer kitty plus not having to pay his wages. Plus he will still have two years left (on his 4 year contract signed in Aug 2013) at the end so we could still sell him this time next year to whoever borrows him (and take his rental into account we could maybe break even on him by then even selling at a reduced price) ~ but on the more positive side his resale value might have soared if he scored lots of goals for Inter plays for Italy etc so we may benefit. Its better for us if he plays for a team in europe to improve his visibility - Inter are in europa league this year.

As it is his resale value has reduced in the last year for sure - id say 50% down on what we paid given he missed the Italian WC squad and Juve dont fancy him at all in the prime market for his services- seria A.

We could cut and run and get c. £5M back on what we paid or we could take a few Mil in rental and hope he is worth more in a year. I reckon the latter is more likely given that many clubs will be wary of his reputation, italian clubs are broke anyway and a loan is a low risk low outlay way of seeing if hes worth buying.