Okay go on then..

Monk

Think they're both limited keepers who've been good shot stoppers and impressed short term. But Ruddy has done it longer term than Marshall. I'm concerned a single premier league season for a poor side doesn't tell us enough. Like saints keepers in the past, jones, taylor, smith, when dealing with a hell of a lot of shots a standard keeper can make themselves look good. But the all round game is a lot more important in keeping clean sheets.

Not convinced about Marshall coming off his line, his distribution, and most importantly whether he can do it for the whole 90 mins. One game last season he seemed great, saving everything all game, then conceded a really soft winner in the last minute. Boruc made a few errors but also played a big part in a hell of a lot of clean sheets, making vital saves despite not being busy all game.

Some fair points in there, and perhaps you have seen or studied Marshall more than I have.

Ruddy though to be fair has been rated quite highly in the Premiership for the last three seasons, so not sure that should be deemed "short term". Although last season I think he was criticised a bit for some of Norwich's goals conceded.

I think if Ruddy has impressed consistently in his top flight time he'd have already moved, but it's been spells of good form but over full seasons, too many soft goals.

He's a premier league goalkeeper though, no doubt about that, better than many still in the league and far better than kelvin or gazza obviously.

Personally, I'd like us to sign a new #1 if I am honest. Boruc is decent and has done a good job - but I still think he is culpable for too many goals. He is frustrating as he is capable of the spectacular and the ridiculous.

His distribution is shocking, you could see the team getting wound up with him putting it into touch with every kick on occasions last season. He can also dally on the ball too much, and get himself into hairy situations - which can lead to that Arsenal goal. Though, I guess in a way this does highlight one of his big assets: his unwavering self-confidence. That is a vital attribute for a goalie.

I don't think it should be a priority signing, more a if possible. But there are times where Artur can also breed uncertainty in the backline.

Edit: PS Neither Marshall or Ruddy are better than Artur imo.

I think if Ruddy has impressed consistently in his top flight time he'd have already moved, but it's been spells of good form but over full seasons, too many soft goals.

He's a premier league goalkeeper though, no doubt about that, better than many still in the league and far better than kelvin or gazza obviously.

soft goals - but behind a fairly porous defence perhaps ?

As for a GK, I'd hope for the £ speculated on (£8m) we'd be looking for a No 1 , not a back up. If only a back up, then £3-4m for a improving GK such as McCarthy at Reading (as often mentioned on here) would be more sense. Personally, I'm hoping for a GK to go straight into the first team..

The main reservation I have with Forster is that, from what I've seen, his distribution is terrible. Boruc's is bad, but at least he throws accurately and kicks cleanly (perhaps too clean, judging by the number of long balls to full backs that end up out of play) - every time I've seen Forster play, he looks rushed with backpasses and ends up scuffing them all over the place. If we are likely to continue with the possession-based style, that could be a problem.

Strange situation at GK position. You want to bring in someone better or as good as your first choice obviously.

But do we want to have Boruc as a potential second choice?

He came good when he got to play every week and keep fit, but if he would be second choice would he keep fit so he can do a job right away when he gets his chance...?

Strange situation at GK position. You want to bring in someone better or as good as your first choice obviously.

But do we want to have Boruc as a potential second choice?

He came good when he got to play every week and keep fit, but if he would be second choice would he keep fit so he can do a job right away when he gets his chance...?

If he were unable to keep fit as a #2 that would be a reason to sell him, not to keep him as first choice.

Have they actually signed anyone yet?

Nope! Doubt they'll sign more than one or two without selling, they've got a huge and unsettled squad as it is.

I think the hardest position to recruit for in football is 2nd choice goalkeeper - you need someone god enough to step in and do a good job, but at the same time will be ok with hardly playing all season. Ideally a youner player still looking to learn and develop, like Gazzaniga should have been.

Like Gazzaniga IS. With Gazza developing, we need a new first choice. Boruc will still get plenty of game time to cover for injuries and / or loss of form and if he's not willing to benefit from a bit of tough competition, I would be really surprised and disappointed. Think he is better than that though.

I don't understand a lot of the goalkeeper debates on here - surely we can get much better than Ruddy or Marshall? Goalkeeper is probably the only position that's the same all over the world - no real need for Premier League experience.

Like Gazzaniga IS. With Gazza developing, we need a new first choice. Boruc will still get plenty of game time to cover for injuries and / or loss of form and if he's not willing to benefit from a bit of tough competition, I would be really surprised and disappointed. Think he is better than that though.

Gazza isn't good enough and never will be. I don't say that lightly. He will not be a Premier League keeper.

I don't understand a lot of the goalkeeper debates on here - surely we can get much better than Ruddy or Marshall? Goalkeeper is probably the only position that's the same all over the world - no real need for Premier League experience.

Well, the type of game in PL with so much crossing into the area is probably quite different to many other leagues though...

Well, the type of game in PL with so much crossing into the area is probably quite different to many other leagues though...

tbh Monky doesn't have a great track record, he's a bit of a selling plater in the ITK stakes. Now he probably believes the guff Fran Alonso feeds him but some of it is limit bollorks or just doesn't happen. Never mind keep up the good work.

oops, bit of a cack up on the quoting front, wrong post.

When you consider that the quality of finishing is far better in the Premiership than in some other leagues I would dispute that. We have the likes of Suarez and Van Persie etc.

Just my humble opinion of course but goalkeeper is the most critical position on the pitch. Get a good one and he wins you more points that any other position with the possible exception of a striker who gets himself scoring opportunities and has a great shot/goal ratio. Completely open to debate of course but that's my opinion.

I think goalkeeper is also the most difficult position for us fans to assess because it's probably the most foreign to us all. If I can put an example forward though, let's take Ochoa from Mexico. There's no doubting he had a great tournament but I would be horrified if we went in for him. For me he had shot stopping, reflexes and positioning but his organisation was pretty much non-existent (you would have noticed Marquez doing that for him) and he was nowhere on crosses as well as a needless puncher. In my opinion he would get found out in the PL but he's probably in the top 3 or 4 for keeper of the tournament.

well, in the estonian league, the main striker are.......

in the premier league, the main forwards are........

well, in the estonian league, the main striker are.......

in the premier league, the main forwards are........

Fair points! Still, not keen on Ruddy, but maybe that's because I've seen more goals he's let in than saves he's made on Match of the Day and the like. People probably wouldn't think much of Boruc of they see the same amount of him too!