Fraser Forster Joins on 4 Year Deal - Official

Wrensup

Quite....so fill the giant hole in Central defence first.....

Good signing...just feel it isn't a priority at all.

I disagree. I think the vast majority have said we need another keeper, if only to put pressure on Boruc, and it's always best - where possible - to sign someone who is better than you already have, to introduce competition for places and improve the overall level of the squad. For me, Forster is probably as good as Boruc (some attributes will be better, others less so, but all can be worked on), and absolutely better than both Gazzaniga and Davis.

If you only buy someone to be a backup, you get into the situation we were in in 2005 where we had a bloated squad, no competition for places and stagnation.

All of the players we've signed so far (with the possible exception of Taider, not seen enough of him to have any idea, really) are better than what we currently have in those positions.

Really?? How many points did we win without Artur in goal vs him in goal?

His loss was THE biggest factor in our semi slump - with decent competition, we have two goalies who will want that number 1 spot, rather than one who is learning and one who wants to be a coach. I love Kelvin, although his injuries are worrying but he's a great 3rd choice with a sensible head.

I disagree. I think the vast majority have said we need another keeper, if only to put pressure on Boruc, and it's always best - where possible - to sign someone who is better than you already have, to introduce competition for places and improve the overall level of the squad. For me, Forster is probably as good as Boruc (some attributes will be better, others less so, but all can be worked on), and absolutely better than both Gazzaniga and Davis.

If you only buy someone to be a backup, you get into the situation we were in in 2005 where we had a bloated squad, no competition for places and stagnation.

All of the players we've signed so far (with the possible exception of Taider, not seen enough of him to have any idea, really) are better than what we currently have in those positions.

:nod:

Big statement in spending £10m to buy him, but if he is as good as his price tag he will win us 6 or 7 more points a season with his contribution.

I understand your point in not getting excited by a goalie, but I guess you soon know about it and suffer from it if you don't have a good one available for every game.

With Fraser and Artur avaialble to us, that particular worry is alleviated somewhat

I don't know about you lads, but I'm expecting some pretty big apologies over the next couple of weeks.

Panic, asset stripping, liquidating the club. What a bunch of idiots.

I'm expecting f*ck all from some of the F**ktards that have been posting on here over the summer. I am however, grateful to them for slapping their sorry asses all over the bedwet billboard and highlighting the decent posters.

I remember the intense feeling of dread I got seeing Gazza's name on the team sheet. I remember watching the Chelsea game with some mates who support them and when Boruc went off and Gazza came on I bet them they'd score at least 2 more. Still, got a free pint out of it, I suppose...

I'm expecting f*ck all from some of the F**ktards that have been posting on here over the summer. I am however, grateful to them for slapping their sorry asses all over the bedwet billboard and highlighting the decent posters.

Indeed, but with the amount of downright abuse I have gotten this Summer I hope some will have the humility to admit they are wrong. My bet is they don't.

I don't know about you lads, but I'm expecting some pretty big apologies over the next couple of weeks.

You'd think so wouldn't you. Mocking and sneering, doom and despair. Meanwhile some of us backed those in charge and remained positive. Yet again we will be vindicated.

Mills is a tricky one. He played in the 1982 World Cup, but didn't sign for us until November and wasn't picked for any of the three internationals (2 of which were qualifiers) in between.

If he played for England after he signed he counts, if he didn't, he doesn't.

A bit naive to expect these idiots to apologise for their premature predictions of doom and gloom. These aren't the sort of people who could ever admit that they are wrong. They'll simply deny that they ever thought that things were quite as bad as they painted them and move on to the next aspect of the club they wish to moan about.

Big statement in spending £10m to buy him, but if he is as good as his price tag he will win us 6 or 7 more points a season with his contribution.

I understand your point in not getting excited by a goalie, but I guess you soon know about it and suffer from it if you don't have a good one available for every game.

With Fraser and Artur avaialble to us, that particular worry is alleviated somewhat

Totally, 100% agree with this. Whoever thinks otherwise could not have been watching last season. This was a MUST.

Most important position on the pitch. You build a team from the back.

You do indeed. We need a keeper, love him to bits as a character, but Boruc is a little too unreliable for me - and his distribution is poor; he gives the ball away at least 5-6 times a game, usually by kicking it straight out. Good to compete for the spot, so I hope we keep Boruc and offload Gazzaniga.

Not when we currently have a very good one anyway and there plenty of other positions in which to make marquee signings

ONE GOOD KEEPER IS NOT ENOUGH FOR A PREMIERSHIP TEAM. Sorry for shouting. And for those querying the price - just how much do you expect to play for an international keeper?

Changed your tune Jeffrey. Expecting the Board to apologise for selling our best players means you could be in for a long wait. Spending some of the money on a goalie is a good start and now we need to see action on central defence, which is a higher priority in many people eyes. Keep up the pressure as it's more likely to result in the signings we need, rather than happily applauding every decision

Indeed, but with the amount of downright abuse I have gotten this Summer I hope some will have the humility to admit they are wrong. My bet is they don't.

I think there's just as much chance you'll be apologising Jeff, but by goodness I so hope you're right. I really do hope you're right.

Wanyama too, Villa would not have scored against us otherwise, insane they won that game, we were wide open when VW went off.

I figured it was more that we played a high line against a team well known for playing counter attack football last season. Some managers would looked to have counter that but apparently poch didn't even bother to discuss the opposition with the team before games and so we just played are normal game.

Whilst the people who may have certian the club was being assert stripped to be sold might have been proved wrong, I don't think he people who backed the board 100% can get all smug if we make if we have made a few big signings. Despite what Ralph says, the time to judge the transfer policy wont be sep 1st but at the end of the season. Only then we people be able to be smug and say i told you so.

I see 25% of the fee goes to Newcastle as a sell on fee probably explains the price. Frankly we need another good keeper Kelvin is past his best and gazza just isn't PL. Another good signing from the board looks like some CBs are in the pipe line just need a bit more firepower upfront now.

bbc now reporting personal terms already agreed so just the medical now. Expect unveiling at the BL game.

bbc.in/1yewIvK

He might fail the medical when he bangs his head on the doorframe at the doctor's office. See my most recent blog on Concussions and Head Injuries in Football.

redsloscf.BlogSpot.co.uk

How's that for a plug?

Having mulled this over for a while, I think it is a great signing. REally excellent. Maybe 10M is a bit much, but only by 1 or 2M, and the long term prospects are excellent.

Things are really looking up: CB and striker and we are in really good shape, plus a profit in the bank (but not my money so I dont give a $h!t)