Fraser Forster Joins on 4 Year Deal - Official

Wrensup

We're buying a keeper to compete for the number 1 position, the one we've already got is also very good.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Boruc keep his place until he drops a clanger, similar to the Friedel/Lloris situation at Spurs when Lloris first came in.

So just a matter if time until the inevitable happens. I agree.

In the meantime Artur will know one mistake and he's gone. That should help him relax and play to his potential ;) or alternatively be up for it and focused but we know the life of a 'keeper - mistakes are part and parcel of the position.

We're buying a keeper to compete for the number 1 position, the one we've already got is also very good.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Boruc keep his place until he drops a clanger, similar to the Friedel/Lloris situation at Spurs when Lloris first came in.

If he stays I would expect to see Boruc start vs Liverpool. It's his shirt to lose, and will at least give some semblance of continuity early on.

Niemi had a bit of time on the bench after he joined if I remember correctly. This situation seems similar to that, in that Jones was by no means a bad keeper, just Antti was better.

But of course, FF is being bought to be the main man.

If he stays I would expect to see Boruc start vs Liverpool. It's his shirt to lose, and will at least give some semblance of continuity early on.

Niemi had a bit of time on the bench after he joined if I remember correctly. This situation seems similar to that, in that Jones was by no means a bad keeper, just Antti was better.

Agree.

Good signing, clearly we needed backup in this position and it's been addressed by the board and Les Reed. Not only that we've signed a lad with bags of potential and already an England squad member.

Jolly good.. Keep it going Saints. I'm not greedy by any means but right about now I ca see the plan unfolding.. Sell off stars at peak of their games for whopping fees and reinvest wisely. Start over.. Much more healthy system and one that should enable us to avoid doing a Pompey or a Leeds United etc.

In fact, one could argue that this self sustainability is The Southampton Way!

From the Guardian article:

Forster’s imminent arrival increases the likelihood of Southampton selling the 34-year-old Artur Boruc, another former Celtic player.

Be a pointless signing if Gazzaniga/Davis are still within an injury away from being in the starting lineup imo.

A question I put out on Twitter as well, who was the last current England international we signed?

By "current" I mean currently being picked in the squad.

Wouldn't have happened if Cortese was here.

Mick mills?

Edited by Turkish

It is similar but Boruc is far better than Jones was and I remain to be convinced that Forster is anywhere near as good as Niemi.

(IIRC it took Jones about 5 games to commit the inevitable howler (flapped at a ridiculously tame 30 yarder against west Brom) that let Antii in.

Agree with this too - very sensible of Saints.

Boruc had to fight for his number 1 spot at Fiorentina if memory serves me well and duly got his number 1 spot.

Competition is good. They'll be fighting for that spot, but I do agree it's Boruc's until he does another Cruyff f**king turn in the penalty area ;)

A question I put out on Twitter as well, who was the last current England international we signed?

By "current" I mean currently being picked in the squad.

Can't be within the last 3 decades can it? I take it Stuart Ripley and Graeme Le Saux weren't playing for England when we got them?

Nobody is happy on the bench. What do you suggest? One keeper in the squad? Competition is good. Perform or make way.
I'm sure you know what I mean. Very difficult to get the 2nd choice keeper pick right and keep a settled squad, but with the right quality as back-up, I hope we've done that here.

Ripley and Palmer were long gone from england squad by then as was david hirst.

According to (the ever reliable!) wiki, Ripley's last England game was 1997 and he joined us in 1998 so not exactly 'long gone' but he should never have got there in the first place!

According to (the ever reliable!) wiki, Ripley's last England game was 1997 and he joined us in 1998 so not exactly 'long gone' but he should never have got there in the first place!

Now I totally agree. Was a million oceans behind Matty .

Mick mills steve. Was signed just after Shilton in 1982 and played In the World Cup for England that summer.

Mills is a tricky one. He played in the 1982 World Cup, but didn't sign for us until November and wasn't picked for any of the three internationals (2 of which were qualifiers) in between.

bbc5live: Fraser Forster will have a medical tomorrow ahead of a proposed £10m move from Celtic to Southampton. Good signing? http://t.co/ZGpJ8ehqiN

bigadamsport: Celtic rejected #saintsfc initial bid for Forster - who headed south today for discussions. Newcastle will get a sell-on fee as part of deal

NabilHassan79: Colleagues in Scotland reporting £10m bid accepted by Celtic from #saintsfc for keeper Fraser Forster. Medical on Saturday.

He'd be a good signing but 10mill is too much. It's the one transfer we can afford to take our time on. By all means throw money at the Rojo deal or at a striker but we might as well play hard ball over a keeper.

And if Boruc suffers an injury in the Bayer warmup?