Transfer Rumours Only

Jimmy_D

Let's hope for either a big Celtic win or loss tonight in their Champions League qualifier, then we'll get Forster otherwise I think it'll be after the second leg next week

Spoke to my mate who is a mad keen Celtic fan, Forster isn't expected to play tonight but Virgil is looking lik he will play.

Back to Saphir Taider. Ex Bologna and a former team-mate of Gaston Ramirez.

May help with the team blending both on and off the pitch if he knows somebody in the side. Can't say I know enough about him personally to make too much of a judgement but the sporting press seem to have positive things to say about him.

He is worth £8m to Villa I would say (Captain and Leader) not to mention being a rock at the back.

Add to that his world cup performances then personally we should not baulk and we should pay that.

so we should but I fear we will not be alone in solliciting his services.

He is worth £8m to Villa I would say (Captain and Leader) not to mention being a rock at the back.

Add to that his world cup performances then personally we should not baulk and we should pay that.

Villa mate thinks he is their best player, even including Benteke, and would be a massive loss. Expect them to want more

Let's be positive for a mo.

Forster

Clyne - Fonte - Vlaar - Rojo

Morgan - Wanyama

Gaston - Davis - Tadic

Pelle

Bench - Boruc, Virgil, Targett, Ings, Tadier, Gallagher, JWP

Then you've got Reed, McQueen, Stephens, Isgrove, Yoshida, Jos (?), Gazzaniga beyond that. Stronger rounded squad than last year?

that's not bad...really...(and I think we'll sell Cork, just a hunch)

Obviously though, the bond and team work will take time. But if we get those over the line, we won't go down - I'm sure.

Yeah can't see them letting him go for any less.

I'm not particularly keen to be spending that amount on a 29 year old personally but he is a good player.

Forster

Morgan - Wanyama

Gaston - Davis - Tadic

Pelle

Then you've got Reed, McQueen, Stephens, Isgrove, Yoshida, Jos (?), Gazzaniga beyond that. Stronger rounded squad than last year?

Obviously though, the bond and team work will take time. But if we get those over the line, we won't go down - I'm sure.

Not a bad side. Bit worried by the mobility of the starting CBs, though the two fullbacks will be there to bail them out. Not convinced by Ramirez's consistency, so would need more competition in that position. Would like a genuinely wide, pacy player - ideally with prem experience. Goal scoring options from the bench, like last season, still appear weak -can't believe Ings would come to warm the bench. Nor would the Celtic lad - possibly if he comes in, Fonte will be moved on.

Edited by shurlock

Forster

Morgan - Wanyama

Gaston - Davis - Tadic

Pelle

That does not look a bad team at all, and I'd be pleased with that although would like to see us retain Cork.(but like many suspect one CM will go).

Only thoughts on your team though are:

a)those in bold have still to be signed, and may yet prove difficult to complete ( Rojo for one),

b)can't see us signing Ings to be a sub, or Van Dyke

c)aren't we expecting a 4-3-3 or 3-5-2 or whatever, from Koeman ?

The Dutch journalist on talkSPORT was Marcel van der Kraan.

Following on from that, van der Kraan thinks Koeman is the man to sort Saints out.

He says that he spoke to Koeman after he joined Saints (they have a close relationship as VDK is a Feyenoord fan and reporter), and that Ronald told him he was perfectly aware of numerous potential departures. He said that Les explained who would go, and who might then become unsettled, but Ronald still wanted Southampton.

He was told by his own people that if he waited, West Ham and Newcastle would likely become available and reignite an interest in securing his services, but he wanted to go to Southampton because he liked the challenge that was presented, of rebuilding the side as the club goes through a restructuring process. He really wanted to lead this club - especially due to the notoriety of our academy both in the United Kingdom and in Europe.

He said the next few weeks will see how Koeman's season will go, but Ronald and Erwin have nothing but respect for the club and they are 100% determined to make things work out at Saints, regardless of how difficult the situation may have become. He says it won't put Ronald out of his stride.

He says they have a good network and are working on a number of deals. He is certain Tadić will step up and impress us, and thinks Pellè can too.

He also said that he knows Ronald well enough to know that any tweeted photos of the training ground would not be humorous, because he has too much respect for his club and his employers to every bring a joke upon them. Said he can be sarcastic and amusing now and then, but he wouldn't do something like that on social media for laughs.

Sounds good! If it helps I've just done a new FM14 season with first window budgets disabled so Koeman is stuck with the team as is (got an update, still has Chambers though who was played at Rb with Clyne LB) and I holidayed through the first season where Koeman got Saints to 7th and won the FA Cup. Pellè was Golden Boot with 22 goals, so maybe not too gloomy even if things don't go to plan in August!

That does not look a bad team at all, and I'd be pleased with that although would like to see us retain Cork.(but like many suspect one CM will go).

Only thoughts on your team though are:

a)those in bold have still to be signed, and may yet prove difficult to complete ( Rojo for one),

b)can't see us signing Ings to be a sub, or Van Dyke

c)aren't we expecting a 4-3-3 or 3-5-2 or whatever, from Koeman ?

Yes, I thought that. Doesn't Koeman favour a straight 4-3-3?

Forster

Morgan - Wanyama

Gaston - Davis - Tadic

Pelle

Yes I like the look of that - Now for Les to do his work and get these guys in....

Yes, I thought that. Doesn't Koeman favour a straight 4-3-3?

Not sure, I have read differing views. During the WC though I read in a couple of places that the three defenders, two wing backs used by Holland was similar to - possibly even taken from- his tactics at Feyenoord, which is why so mqy of his players settled to it at the back.

Following on from that, van der Kraan thinks Koeman is the man to sort Saints out.

He says that he spoke to Koeman after he joined Saints (they have a close relationship as VDK is a Feyenoord fan and reporter), and that Ronald told him he was perfectly aware of numerous potential departures. He said that Les explained who would go, and who might then become unsettled, but Ronald still wanted Southampton.

He was told by his own people that if he waited, West Ham and Newcastle would likely become available and reignite an interest in securing his services, but he wanted to go to Southampton because he liked the challenge that was presented, of rebuilding the side as the club goes through a restructuring process. He really wanted to lead this club - especially due to the notoriety of our academy both in the United Kingdom and in Europe.

He said the next few weeks will see how Koeman's season will go, but Ronald and Erwin have nothing but respect for the club and they are 100% determined to make things work out at Saints, regardless of how difficult the situation may have become. He says it won't put Ronald out of his stride.

He says they have a good network and are working on a number of deals. He is certain Tadić will step up and impress us, and thinks Pellè can too.

He also said that he knows Ronald well enough to know that any tweeted photos of the training ground would not be humorous, because he has too much respect for his club and his employers to every bring a joke upon them. Said he can be sarcastic and amusing now and then, but he wouldn't do something like that on social media for laughs.

*like*

Not sure, I have read differing views. During the WC though I read in a couple of places that the three defenders, two wing backs used by Holland was similar to - possibly even taken from- his tactics at Feyenoord, which is why so mqy of his players settled to it at the back.

I think Koeman will be much more flexible than Poch was with the system employed (as long as he can get the signings he needs).

Badger's right, I recall comments along those lines during the WC about the feyenoord system.

I'd also hope goatboy is correct. Pochettino did seem tactically like a bit of a one-trick pony, got the best out of the team but didn't have much of a backup plan when it went badly.

Badger's right, I recall comments along those lines during the WC about the feyenoord system.

I'd also hope goatboy is correct. Pochettino did seem tactically like a bit of a one-trick pony, got the best out of the team but didn't have much of a backup plan when it went badly.

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?50941-Koeman-tactics#.U9kNEdq9KSM

He will play 433 or 4231 as its the system that the academy uses and that has been recently coached as well as those used in friendlies

Though in the friendlies, it appeared that the wingers hugged the line more while the three in CM were more fluid. In the past, it was the opposite: the front three interchanged while the CM roles were more fixed.

Think VW might comprise one of those back 3. At times last season we played with Fonte, Lovren, then Wanyama sat just in front with Shaw/Clyne/Chambers as wing backs. For the few players we have left from that system, it shouldn't be a massive shift in formation to deal with imo.

The fact that a) Gaston started after just a couple of days of preseason (i think?) b) Was clearly instructed to get on the ball at every available opportunity, makes me think Koeman might want to build the team around him. Taider would therefore make sense due to Bologna link, as would Ings/Redmond plus wing backs playing as pacy runners ahead of Gaston in a slightly deeper position. I think hes best when hes got time to get his head up, see a clever pass and then play it. Too often last season he was ready to play a ball but was either too advanced, too slow on the ball or not getting the right runs.

Id like to see us line up like this;

...........................Forster.......................

...............Fonte...................Van Dyjk..............

Clyne..................Wanyama....................Rojo.........

..............Morgan..............Gaston..........................

Tadic...................................................Redmond......

............................Pelle.......................................

Taider/Davis/Cork/JWP as centre mid replacements

Ings/Isgrove/Mayuka and then obviously Rodriguez when hes back on the wings

Ings, Gallagher as Pelle replacements.

Could be way off the mark as Im only basing that on what Ive read about Koemans playing style, the links to signings in the press and the wifi affected version of the Bournemouth game that I watched in a hotel room, but thoughts?

Also, from what Guan said, Chamberlain?........Theo?.......Gareth?!

Though in the friendlies, it appeared that the wingers hugged the line more while the three in CM were more fluid. In the past, it was the opposite: the front three interchanged while the CM roles were more fixed.

think we need to wait until the opposition have some bearing on the way we play to decide what's what and who's where actually.

the games so far are far too easy to judge anything at all. Which is why it was kind of good that we played sides like Sociedad and Besiktas last year.

This from a Dutch journalist I've never heard of yet I strangely find it the most reassuring thing I've heard in the last week or so.

what has Guan said about transfers?

This:

Nothing incoming today. Unless Celtic fancy playing without a keeper tonight...

That being said, if we agree a late in the day loan, Expect it to be heralded across the OS as the second coming!

I'll be Tadier. Judging by Inter fans comments, they want him to say and they believe we are getting the better end of the deal.

Can't shrug about that.

Don't know about Inter, he was OK at Grenoble, not a world beater though. Anyway if it takes Osvaldo out of the equation it can't be bad. Thought we wanted to cash in on him though, Inter probably not having that and there are few other avenues possible.

Don't know about Inter, he was OK at Grenoble, not a world beater though. Anyway if it takes Osvaldo out of the equation it can't be bad. Thought we wanted to cash in on him though, Inter probably not having that and there are few other avenues possible.

No one will want to pay for Osvaldo! not a chance...

a fit, motivated, half decent player is worth more to us than money that ossie could bring in now, IMO