James Ward-Prowse

JackanorySFC

What a goal last night. How good can this boy get? Only 19, still a baby in CM terms (average age in the Premier League for a CM must be 26+), has unbelievable technique when striking the ball, good football brain, the best corner delivery I've ever seen - seriously it's as dangerous as a Free Kick on the edge of the box - clearly intelligent and articulate, a nailed on future captain IF he stays. However his personality suggests he isn't one for having his head turned the same was Lallana did. Just look at the way he's always wheeled out for interviews with the FA and Saints before/ after games.

Really think he'll push on this season, will be a joy to watch him progress IMO.

What a goal last night. How good can this boy get? Only 19, still a baby in CM terms (average age in the Premier League for a CM must be 26+), has unbelievable technique when striking the ball, good football brain, the best corner delivery I've ever seen - seriously it's as dangerous as a Free Kick on the edge of the box - clearly intelligent and articulate, a nailed on future captain IF he stays. However his personality suggests he isn't one for having his head turned the same was Lallana did. Just look at the way he's always wheeled out for interviews with the FA and Saints before/ after games.

Really think he'll push on this season, will be a joy to watch him progress IMO.

I thought that about Chambers.

Not to pee on your bonfire but everyone said this about Lallana last year... and Morgan.... Lambert too :) Does look to be a great player though.

I cannot see the stardom predictions other do. Certainly a great goal last night - his first for the club at senior level. Delivers a good dead ball and corner. On the flipside, does not have a lot of pace; is not a great tackler; most of his passes are sideways or backwards and seems to be easily brushed off the ball. I will be happy to be proven wrong but at the moment as he enters his third season for Saints the hype is greater than the performance.

James is such an odd one, it's always the same. Terrific pre-seasons, looks immense, takes it into the start of the season and eventually drifts away....

He's a talent, there's no 2 ways about it - but he's got to find a way of putting that over an entire season, which he's struggled to so far.

The fact Adkins thought he was good enough to make his full debut vs Manchester City on the opening day of the season tells a lot for his potential, added to his subsequent performances and character, he's clearly going to be a great player. Some of his goals for the various England age groups have been amazing.

Watching his interview last night, he is already talking like a captain. Let's hope he sticks around long enough to become one. His next Premier League fixture with us will be his 50th, amazing for a 19 year old CM.

Just remember being amazed by his maturity when I saw him for that first home game back in the Prem vs Man Utd (2-3). He's not quite imposed himself on games as I thought he might do, but he is still so young and it looks like Ron is actually giving him a fair crack in his natural position (not shunted out on the right), and maybe even encouraging him to smash a few howitzers from long-range. Hopefully Ron can have a similar impact on his career as he did with Clasie. How many years has JWP got left on his contract? Three? Should look at giving him a new 5-6 year deal IMO and start to build the team around him. He really is a fabulous talent, has everything technically, just needs that bit of arrogance to start dictating play more...but I'm sure that will come with time and big-game experience.

He played in 34 out of 38 Premier League games. Even though he didn't start them all, for a 19 year old in the Premier League he had a huge amount of game time last season.

While I agree to a point the overwhelming majority of those were as a late substitute, and you can argue that on our first game back to the prem, he started against Man City before Shaw and Chambers had made their full prem debuts.

I just had the impression that Poch did'nt really know where to play him and tended to prefer others.

I cannot see the stardom predictions other do. Certainly a great goal last night - his first for the club at senior level. Delivers a good dead ball and corner. On the flipside, does not have a lot of pace; is not a great tackler; most of his passes are sideways or backwards and seems to be easily brushed off the ball. I will be happy to be proven wrong but at the moment as he enters his third season for Saints the hype is greater than the performance.

I think you are being extremely harsh on him, this summer he was captaining England at the Toulan tournament, was voted 3rd best player of the tournament and won goal of the tournament for his strike vs. Brazil. For a 19 year he is extremely impressive and had a lot of game time last season (up there with some of the highest in our 8th place squad).

While I agree to a point the overwhelming majority of those were as a late substitute, and you can argue that on our first game back to the prem, he started against Man City before Shaw and Chambers had made their full prem debuts.

I just had the impression that Poch did'nt really know where to play him and tended to prefer others.

Which other 19 year olds at any Premier League club had more game time than him last season? Its not a long list, in fact its extremely short - especially in central midfield. Its easier for teenage wingers, full-backs and strikers to make a break through earlier than goalkeepers, central defenders or central midfielders.

I don't think its something to knock Ward-Prowse with that he found it hard to dislodge Schneiderlin, Wanyama, S.Davis and Cork for a regular starting role. I think some people forget how young Ward-Prowse is and how he compares to other players of his age. Chalobah for example has never played a game at Premier League level, compared to Ward-Prowse's 49 Premier League matches!. When Schneiderlin was Ward-Prowse's age he was being relegated with us to League 1.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Good points re "not likely to have his head turned". Yep, I thought that about Lallana too, not so much Chambers. Know a good mate of JWP (and Chambers, Shaw etc) through a family friend that has been in the Academy with them all the way through, JWP by a mile the smartest of the bunch and a real leader apparently.

Austsaint, being pushed off the ball will become less of an issue as he grows. At 19 be is unbelievably young to be playing CM in the Premier league, to play there at that age you need exceptional technique. Something I think he has. If you think he only has decent delivery for set pieces that makes him as good as Beckham already surely? ;-). Be interesting to see how his passing is this season, personally I have no problems with a midfielder passing sideways and backwards, as long as one of those passes reaches an overlapping full back or a "violinist" like Gaston, but I'm patient and enjoy watching good football rather than hoof ball.

I think you are being extremely harsh on him, this summer he was captaining England at the Toulan tournament, was voted 3rd best player of the tournament and won goal of the tournament for his strike vs. Brazil. For a 19 year he is extremely impressive and had a lot of game time last season (up there with some of the highest in our 8th place squad).

I probably am being harsh on the lad MLG - he comes across as such a likeable, articulate fellow too. But having watched him closely since that debut against Man City, I just cannot see the progression in his game - with Shaw (obvious now), Chambers, Reed and even Stephens you can see potential progressing but with JWP I see a Simon Gillett with a better dead ball delivery.

I probably am being harsh on the lad MLG - he comes across as such a likeable, articulate fellow too. But having watched him closely since that debut against Man City, I just cannot see the progression in his game - with Shaw (obvious now), Chambers, Reed and even Stephens you can see potential progressing but with JWP I see a Simon Gillett with a better dead ball delivery.

Then you need to watch him more closely because there is far more to his game than merely a set piece taker. To compare him to Simon Gillett is quite frankly ridiculous.

I'm a big fan of the lad.

Would like to see him kick on this season. I agree he perhaps has not controlled games as you'd (I'm sure himself too) want, but he clearly has immense talent. He's still a kid, after all.

There was some similar talk about Morgan when he was about 19 I seem to recall. Too lightweight, didn't impose himself enough, couldn't tackle. That was in the Championship/League 1!

I have every faith JWP is going to be a very good player, just sad that it most likely won't be with us :(

Then you need to watch him more closely because there is far more to his game than merely a set piece taker. To compare him to Simon Gillett is quite frankly ridiculous.

I want him to do well - I have a feeling we will have to wait a year or so for JWP's future as a top line Prem player to be decided, one way or the other.

Fully expect the three Ls to spamming the hell out of his twitters account about how good it is to train with world class players; how much of a difference he could make to the life of a poor scouse kid; and that they have finally managed to locate his heart when it was captured by the incredible fans at anfield

The lad has massively developed in stamina, strength, set piece delivery and free kick taking, long shots and passing vision. This will be his break through season I hope. Ironically his position is the one we haven't sold anyone in and the one we have the most depth in!

Bare in mind how good players like lala and morgan were when they were 19, they had nothing on this kid. He is also very intelligent and articulate, plays in a non flashy position and is a local(ish) lad, can't see him following his "dream" move to Anfield can you?

I still remember the 1-1 with City last season and him scrapping with yaya, pushing him of the ball and hastling him all night. Poch gave him a fiesty-ness that will stand him in good stead. Expect Koeman to teach them all some dutch attacking swagger!

You're allowed to doubt him ofc, but just bare in mind what he has achieved for his age and compare him to other players and the fact that the average CM age in the prem is 26 as stated above. The lad is at a respectable level for most prem teams already!

And if he turns into a set peice beast as looks to be on the cards, that is worth points by itself!

Fully expect the three Ls to spamming the hell out of his twitters account about how good it is to train with world class players; how much of a difference he could make to the life of a poor scouse kid; and that they have finally managed to locate his heart when it was captured by the incredible fans at anfield

Good thinking . . . . . . .but somehow I'm of the mind it might be a tad more 'cruel' than that - in the case of say Lallana - JWP will receive an electronic copy of off-shore bank account statement with oh about maybe £5,000,000 just idly sitting there, increasing as he looks by 25K per week in interest, 150k per week in wages and another 100k a week in off-the-field endorsements and an associated pension contribution in some overseas investment portfolio fund increasing by another 20k per week and a cryptic "Wish you were here?" scrawled at the bottom.

Good thinking . . . . . . .but somehow I'm of the mind it might be a tad more 'cruel' than that - in the case of say Lallana - JWP will receive an electronic copy of off-shore bank account statement with oh about maybe £5,000,000 just idly sitting there, increasing as he looks by 25K per week in interest, 150k per week in wages and another 100k a week in off-the-field endorsements and an associated pension contribution in some overseas investment portfolio fund increasing by another 20k per week and a cryptic "Wish you were here?" scrawled at the bottom.

JWP should tweet him back pictures of cars with hub-caps, unburgled houses and other amusing & original stereotypes

Great goal last night and played very well. Of note his first reaction on scoring was to turn to us and applaud. Excited to see him continue to develop

Note sure this is "of note". History is littered with the corpses of clappers, punchers and badge kissers (Prutton and Lallana for two). It makes jack all difference when the Champions League money truck rolls into town.

I think this will be a defining season for him. He had a fair amount of game time last season albeit not in his natural position and never really made an impact in open play. If he gets the opportunity to play CM then he has the attributes to push on and become a real star.

The key will be whether he can influence games enough from open play. If he does then piece that together with his set piece delivery we have a great player on our hands.

JWP should tweet him back pictures of cars with hub-caps, unburgled houses and other amusing & original stereotypes

:lol:

And back comes the rather stark message "Yes JWP and how much more you can enjoy one's untold riches in the core of disparity and desperation. What is a Ferrari if every pleb owns one? And indeed what power can wealth truly provide if there is no real poverty and everyone is wealthy? The disparity functions as a constant reminder of how lucky we are and really enhances that sense of well-being provided by the wealth quotient. The plebs will continue to emerge from their slums and cheer us on and make us richer, meantime you watch us enjoy . . . . .see you soon, Liverpool map enclosed!

Still not sure on JWP... looks good and always gets hyped up, but the last 2 seasons he's still failed to really explode and show what we all think he can do... maybe with less competition this'll be his year! Think he needs a bit more confidence, he looked good after a few games in succession early last season, and that goal will do him good because he can definitely strike the ball like few others his age.

Still not sure on JWP... looks good and always gets hyped up, but the last 2 seasons he's still failed to really explode and show what we all think he can do... maybe with less competition this'll be his year! Think he needs a bit more confidence, he looked good after a few games in succession early last season, and that goal will do him good because he can definitely strike the ball like few others his age.

Difficult to see exactly how much he's progressed of late until the opposition is of a reasonable standard. Brighton sounded very poor last night, they might even struggle this season, why did they let their manager go exactly. Seen the goal on the videos, lovely strike but far too much time and space really. If he can do the same with half of each then he'll be a great performer.

:lol:

And back comes the rather stark message "Yes JWP and how much more you can enjoy one's untold riches in the core of disparity and desperation. What is a Ferrari if every pleb owns one? And indeed what power can wealth truly provide if there is no real poverty and everyone is wealthy? The disparity functions as a constant reminder of how lucky we are and really enhances that sense of well-being provided by the wealth quotient. The plebs will continue to emerge from their slums and cheer us on and make us richer, meantime you watch us enjoy . . . . .see you soon, Liverpool map enclosed!

I'm not qualified economist, but has it ever happened before that southern workers had to migrate north in search of wealth? It feels instinctively ludicrous, like migrating to Portsmouth in search of diverse gene-pool.

Last year JWP pushed himself to the limit, foregoing a vacation before the season started. As the season wore on Prowsey became more and more tired and the last 3 months or so his brain functioned less and less.

This season he returned refreshed and this can be seen in how he's performing to date. I think he's going to get better and better this year. Few work harder on his game than JWP and hopefully he will remain with Saints as I feel some day he's going to be right up there with Gareth Bale.

* From what I know he dis-activated his twitter account last year after he got married but he has opened an Instagram account.

I'm not qualified economist, but has it ever happened before that southern workers had to migrate north in search of wealth? It feels instinctively ludicrous, like migrating to Portsmouth in search of diverse gene-pool.

Ah well Bearsy the answer is a resounding YES. If you are English or even if you are not, you must catch up with your history - old bean! Liverpool was once regarded as the richest city in the world, most certainly it was one of them. One of the reasons for these 'riches' was the Slave Trade. The writer of Amazing Grace [in essence an anti-slave trade song] was composed by a Liverpool sea captain and Slave Trader John Newton. If one wished to be facetious one might say it looks like Liverpool are indulging in a new slave trade albeit something of an inverse nature of course in regard to the old one!

Also you must catch up with the Industrial Revolution the rapid expansion of nearly all the major Northern cities [and not so major] came about because of this phenomena and people migrated from everywhere [off the land mainly] to live [exist] and work in the likes of Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Sunderland, Blackburn, Rochdale, Bolton, Leeds etc. etc. we were the "work-house of the World" as declared by William Gladstone a Scouse Prime Minister. That's one of the reasons there were [and are] so many Ethnics, Irish, Scottish and Welsh in Liverpool and why it is home to the oldest Chinese "community" in Europe.

Met him at the PFA awards this year. By miles the most intelligent and thoughtful Saints player there .. A really humble and likeable bloke .. Is he supposed to be signing a revised contract? If so, get it done FFS!

He may be now but being paid tens of thousands pw, written about in papers, appearing on tv and being adored by fans changes almost everybody.

Thanks enskied for education! It sounds pretty disgusting bout what the scousers done to them slaves, I would like the people of Liverpool to apologise for that. But I spose they suffered enough when the city filled up with Irish, Scottish, and Welsh?

Thanks enskied for education! It sounds pretty disgusting bout what the scousers done to them slaves, I would like the people of Liverpool to apologise for that. But I spose they suffered enough when the city filled up with Irish, Scottish, and Welsh?

Well continuing on with the education subtexted by your healthy facetiousness as it were. ;)

The world itself owes an apology to the slaves particularly of course America, where most of the slaves ended up working the tobacco plantations unfortunately they are all dead but a new slavery [it's never gone away in one form or another] has most definitely filled its place I was reading [yep a Scouser who reads and understands] recently about child slavery, an estimated 250 - 300 million children are in labour and or sex slavery, even the word estimated seems a form of gross insult. Perhaps we'd all better start looking to apologise there but what's an apology if we do nothing about it? So Bearsy as for the Irish, Scottish and Welsh, if you're "English" what's the chances you yourself are not of they - ergo they are not in your blood? Indeed is there any such nation left as coined by the term "English" as many perceive it - any more?

Phew! Eeeee lad back t'footy then! I hope that JWP is not lured by the big bucks [;)] stays and blossoms!

A lot of talk about Harrison Reed being the next Scholes but for me JWP is in that sort of style/potential. Two good feet, great all round technique, low centre of gravity, keeps the ball well and can control it under pressure.

Best position for me is behind the strikers, get him working between the lines, last year he was trying to be a DM that he isn't because I think that is where the spaces in the team were or out wide where again he was doing a job.

Plenty of potential, but let's hope he goes under the radar. Could be a key player this year I reckon.