Liverpool vs Saints Build Up Thread

nta786

I think Forster will be thrown straight in. Unless a top class and match fit CB is signed at the start of the week, I think there are only three positions where there is any doubt.

------------Forster

Clyne--Fonte--Yoshida--Bertrand

----------Wanyama

------Davis--------Taider

Ramirez----------------Tadic

--------------Pelle

Subs: Boruc, Stephens, Targett, JWP, Cork, Isgrove, Gallagher

That is what I'd go for assuming noone else comes in and Morgan's head doesn't return. Very short of strength in depth other than in centre midfield.

I think you´re spot on except that I think Boruc will play, can't see Forster coming in right away.

I would like to see Ramirez and Tadic a bit more centre of the pitch and not out wide, let Clyne and Bertrand do the wing play and crosses and keep Tadic and Ramirez closer to Pellé to make his play a bit more effective...

How would this fare against the scousers?

..................Boruc

Clyne = Fonte = Rojo = Bertrand

...Wanyama = Schneiderlin

Tadic = Ramirez = Belhanda

====== Hernandez

That would be quite a lineup to take to Upton Park but wouldn't happen in time for Anfield or (probably) West Brom.

I think you´re spot on except that I think Boruc will play, can't see Forster coming in right away.

I would like to see Ramirez and Tadic a bit more centre of the pitch and not out wide, let Clyne and Bertrand do the wing play and crosses and keep Tadic and Ramirez closer to Pellé to make his play a bit more effective...

Tadic was whipping balls in all afternoon yesterday and looked pretty bloody good at it. I'd fancy him against Liverpool's full-backs and Pelle can get his head on them. We won't have enough possession to plonk Tadic and Ramirez in the centre.

Edited by DuncanRG

Whilst he mght not be the choice of most fan gong by this thread, all signs point to Isgrove definitely starting at Liverpool - I think he's started at Swindon, Bournemouth, Brighton and yesterday, that's a pretty clear sign that Koeman plans to use him in my eyes.

Edited by Sour Mash

That would be quite a lineup to take to Upton Park but wouldn't happen in time for Anfield or (probably) West Brom.

Tadic was whipping balls in all afternoon yesterday and looked pretty bloody good at it. I'd fancy him against Liverpool's full-backs and Pelle can get his head on them. We won't have enough possession to plonk Tadic and Ramirez in the centre.

True but I suspect we might have to go a bit more direct from the back when they will try to put pressure on us so important that Pellé has players around him that can collect the balls both when he wins and lose duels, otherwise we will be pushed further and further back throughout the game.

I seem to recall Liverpool signing a rather good centre back though, who spent a lot of last season winning headers in the box and preventing them going in the Saints goal ... contributing towards one of the best defences in Europe for the first 3 months of last season ...

He hasn't become rubbish just because he left!

I seem to recall Liverpool signing a rather good centre back though, who spent a lot of last season winning headers in the box and preventing them going in the Saints goal ... contributing towards one of the best defences in Europe for the first 3 months of last season ...

yeah but now instead of having Victor in front protecting him he has got Steven (bambi legs) Gerrard......

He hasn't. That's not got much to do with our tactics though, considering he was damn good at everything else as well. Crossing looks like one of Tadic's strengths, while height and power are among Pelle's. It's worth using them, especially in the absence of Rodriguez who would be best at running past a deeper-lying Pelle.

As we lack a leader in defence the CB pairing of Fonte and Yoshida will cost us dearly. I expect Boruc to fetch the ball from his own net at least 4 times. I cannot see how we will score from open play, maybe we'll get lucky on a set piece. Liverpool 4-1 Southampton

Interesting opinion, you know we made Fonte captain right? You are wrong about this imo. Also our team is setup to be particularly good at scoring from set pieces, so if/when we do it won't be luck.

I fully expect us to lose 4-0 but thats because we aren't ready as a team yet and not because I don't think we have the quality to beat them on paper. The media will herald us as relegation candidates and Liverpool title contenders and from this game onwards they will be very wrong on both accounts.

If we manage anything other than being smashed in first game I will be deliriously happy.

As we lack a leader in defence the CB pairing of Fonte and Yoshida will cost us dearly. I expect Boruc to fetch the ball from his own net at least 4 times. I cannot see how we will score from open play, maybe we'll get lucky on a set piece. Liverpool 4-1 Southampton

You've got to remember this is a team without Suarez in it. Whilst they have plenty of other threats, they really aren't much better, in terms of attacking players, than a lot of other top half sides.

Fonte is rapidly becoming the modern day Claus IMO... dependable sidekick to whoever happens to be alongside him, who usually gets most of the plaudits. Claus went through it with Ken Monkou, Dean Richards, Michael Svensson... they were more noticeable because they tended to get stuck in more, but Claus went about his business just fine. He too was often felt to not be good enough for the top level, but several managers stuck by him as partners came and went.

Losing Lovren was a big loss, and by all accounts we're worse off as a result, but if one of the two rumoured signings come in, I'm sure in time we'll be fine, and that will be down in no small part to Fonte.

Sad to say, think we'll get smashed in this game. It will be a bitter loss, as Lovren is sure to start.

I fully expect us to lose 4-0 but thats because we aren't ready as a team yet and not because I don't think we have the quality to beat them on paper.

Agree

Edited by Plastic

Fonte is a nice bloke, and he was one of our most improved players of last season, but it was Lovren's leadership of the defence that made it one of the best in Europe (for a short while).

Lovren was a good defender but I don't buy this... Lyon couldn't wait to get rid of him. There is nothing to suggest our great defensive work was all down to Lovren, if anything I think Wanyama had a lot more impact than anyone on our defense last season than anyone really gives credit.

I wonder if Lambert scores - if he will celebrate like crazy or more of a respectable celebration. I know if Lovren scores he will run like crazy over the pitch and remove his shirt and kiss his new tattoo of a Pool crest infront of the Saints fans......

Fonte is a nice bloke, and he was one of our most improved players of last season, but it was Lovren's leadership of the defence that made it one of the best in Europe (for a short while).

Lovren is a quality defender, but I also disagree with this opinion about his leadership skills. Lovren is unarguably a superb footballer and a beast of a defender, he is however, IMO, still lacking in the leadership area.

From watching the two main CBs play together I got the distinct impression Fonte was the lead, and I felt we lacked composure without him. Dare I say it, Jos and Maya actually worked more effectively together than either paired with Lovren!

Last season at least, Lovren needed a steady CB partner in order to play at his best and when he didn't get that (without Fonte) we lacked a solid shape at the back.

You've got to remember this is a team without Suarez in it. Whilst they have plenty of other threats' date=' they really aren't much better, in terms of attacking players, than a lot of other top half sides.[/quote']

They looked a lot better than every other top half side whilst demolishing Dortmund yesterday I assure you. Plus our current CB pairing has had plenty of outings against top half sides where they've struggled already.

Starting with Isgrove and Yoshida will make me sad.

There's no way Isgrove is getting near the team after his performance on Saturday - not really his fault either, stuck out on the left and apparently asked to drive to the line and get crosses in, which he wasn't able to do because he's right footed. Surprised Bertrand didn't get past him more often but he'd probably been told to be wary of going foward too much (though that's not exactly a characteristic of Koeman sides).

Lovren is a quality defender, but I also disagree with this opinion about his leadership skills. Lovren is unarguably a superb footballer and a beast of a defender, he is however, IMO, still lacking in the leadership area.

From watching the two main CBs play together I got the distinct impression Fonte was the lead, and I felt we lacked composure without him. Dare I say it, Jos and Maya actually worked more effectively together than either paired with Lovren!

Last season at least, Lovren needed a steady CB partner in order to play at his best and when he didn't get that (without Fonte) we lacked a solid shape at the back.

Spot on.

You've got to remember this is a team without Suarez in it. Whilst they have plenty of other threats' date=' they really aren't much better, in terms of attacking players, than a lot of other top half sides.[/quote']

Top half?

Sturridge Sterling Coutinho sounds pretty good to me

Look we're going to be beat 4 - 1 probably as that's our nightmare score. I've got a ticket and frankly I don't care. I'm going to give Lovren dog's abuse, support the team and look forward to the future.

Personally I'd play Stephens for Yoshida. Young hearts have a big capacity and the boy needs to show us what he can do. It would be a great show of defiance and he's old enough now to brush off a defeat.

I suspect Koeman will send out a defensive format as he'll want to minimise the damage and watch players in game time. WBA is the start of the season in reality.

Can only see this going one way, sadly. Scousehampton will destroy us. We don't look nearly ready and simply don't have the quality to compete. We really struggled against them at St. Mary's last season with a much stronger team and they've improved since then whereas we haven't.

Think I might have a few quid on them scoring 4 or more just to soften the blow if it happens.

This game will look like us up at Arsenal in the season we came up. I don't usually do score predictions, but a proper 4-goal thrashing is on the cards. Lovren will score twice from corners just to really irritate me.

FWIW I can't see us dropping Boruc and it makes far more sense to give him the chance to play for his place than just dump him, and I can't see us NOT starting with Taider, so I'll say:

--------------------Boruc-----------------------

Clyne--Fonte--GodIHopeWeSignALCB--Bertrand

---------------------(aka Yoshida)--------------

------------------Wanyama---------------------

---------S Davis --------------Taider-----------

Tadic------------------------------------Ramirez

---------------------Pelle-------------------------

Subs: Forster, Hooiveld, Cork, Isgrove, Reed, McQueen, Mayuka FFS. Have I forgotten anyone? I bloody hope so.

Don't even ask me what's going on with Schneiderlin in this picture.

Edited by The9

Let Boruc have a last busy game with a defence he knows. Let Yoshi play and prove himself or show his weaknesses.

Then once deals are complete and players have time to train together, put in Gardo and Forster and even Rojo for the next games, and start to build a team.

Still want Ramirez given 10-15 games starting to judge him properly. We have such a hard working midfield behind him after all.

Especially in home games, full backs providing width, Wanama protecting, 2 CMs in front from Davis, JWP, Reed, Taider (given that Morgan will be off/sulk), then Tadic and Ramirez given free roles behind the striker. I think it would work very well.

Right now I would gladly take Belhanda, Rojo, Garda and a striker from Ings, Deeney or Hernandez in exchange for losing Schneiderlin.

I am confident we'll form a good team and finish mid-table, but I'm also sure we'll lose badly at Anfield and maybe have a few stumbles in the first month.

If that type of player exchange came about Adrian I'd be a happy man. Ings v Deeney would be a tough call assuming we were interested in either/both but were only buying one, Ings has the acceleration we need, is a great finisher and a Saints fan but Deeney has a great all round game and I've been calling for us to sign him for a couple of seasons. He is slightly older than Ings though from a sell-on view. We definitely need 2 x CBs, liking the sounds of Garda. Gaston needs a proper run of games which he hasn't had for almost 2 years. The club have made their stance on Morgan and I support that but if Levy ups their pathetic offer to something north of £20m he'll probably still go and hopefully that's the last of the whinger generation, unless Artur is next to spend time on the naughty step. Blame Lallana for setting such a pitiful example.

In terms of Saturday, keep the GD intact, get 10 behind the ball and the season starts with most of the new faces and at least a week's training led by Ronald for the WBA game.

This game will look like us up at Arsenal in the season we came up. I don't usually do score predictions, but a proper 4-goal thrashing is on the cards. Lovren will score twice from corners just to really irritate me.

FWIW I can't see us dropping Boruc and it makes far more sense to give him the chance to play for his place than just dump him, and I can't see us NOT starting with Taider, so I'll say:

Subs: Forster, Hooiveld, Cork, Isgrove, Reed, McQueen, Mayuka FFS. Have I forgotten anyone? I bloody hope so.

How much football has Ramirez played in the last three months? Hardly anything.

It'll most likely be Isgrove starting in his place I'm afraid.

If you're worried about Liverpool just sit back and imagine it's England's Sturridge and Sterling. Suddenly they don't seem so effective.

England's Sturridge and Sterling took Germany's recent Champions League runners-up Borussia Dortmund to bits on the weekend, they were very effective. Taking them out of the situation they will be in against Saints on Sunday and importing them into a completely different team doesn't really work as a comparison.

Though as long as they're picking Gerrard, and Glen Johnson at left back we've got a chance.

Edited by The9

How much football has Ramirez played in the last three months? Hardly anything.

It'll most likely be Isgrove starting in his place I'm afraid.

To be honest without Rodriguez fit (and not throwing Josh Sims in which would be a big and unexpected gamble but I'll continue to bang on about unrealistically for now), we don't have a pacy left sided attacker who can defend and break on the counter as our formation on Saturday hinted we would need to. Bertrand would actually be my preferred option there if it didn't mean we'd have to debut Targett at left back at Anfield. I don't think Ramirez's lack of game time will be a factor though, Isgrove is way too much of a gamble and didn't looked suited to it on Saturday, cutting back too late onto his right.

Koeman deserves shooting if he picks Isgrove over Ramirez. He's garbage and Gaston is quality.

He'll want Isgrove's pace so that we have a threat on the counter attack. Too many times last season without Jay we were paceless in attack and teams could squeeze us high and suffocate us

He'll want Isgrove's pace so that we have a threat on the counter attack. Too many times last season without Jay we were paceless in attack and teams could squeeze us high and suffocate us

Isgrove is no threat whatsoever, we're in serious trouble if we start having to pick players like him. He just runs round a lot enthusiastically but has zero ability.

To be honest without Rodriguez fit (and not throwing Josh Sims in which would be a big and unexpected gamble but I'll continue to bang on about unrealistically for now), we don't have a pacy left sided attacker who can defend and break on the counter as our formation on Saturday hinted we would need to. Bertrand would actually be my preferred option there if it didn't mean we'd have to debut Targett at left back at Anfield. I don't think Ramirez's lack of game time will be a factor though, Isgrove is way too much of a gamble and didn't looked suited to it on Saturday, cutting back too late onto his right.
Why is Isgrove so much more of a gamble than playing Ramirez there? Isgrove has played there for every pre-season game pretty much. I'm not a big fan of his, but Koemanseems keen and he does offer a bit of pace that the rest of our line-up currently struggle with.

Isgrove is no threat whatsoever, we're in serious trouble if we start having to pick players like him. He just runs round a lot enthusiastically but has zero ability.
That is the case, but unfortunately we've been in that position for the whole of pre-season.

This is the team. Would LOVE to see Rojo there instead of Yoshida, but unfortunately it's not going to happen, and we'll let in at least a couple as a result.

Maybe, just maybe, Gaston, Tadic and Pelle will click and we'll score enough for a draw. Doubt it though.

Perhaps Isgrove could come on for half an hour as that would be the time to try to use his pace. He's not a great player overall.

I wonder what our win ratio was when Wanyama and Lovren played? Lovren gave inspiration and confidence all around him. His value to us was far more than 20m and in time that will dawn on the powers that be what a mistake caving into his demands were.

This is the team. Would LOVE to see Rojo there instead of Yoshida, but unfortunately it's not going to happen, and we'll let in at least a couple as a result.

Maybe, just maybe, Gaston, Tadic and Pelle will click and we'll score enough for a draw. Doubt it though.

Perhaps Isgrove could come on for half an hour as that would be the time to try to use his pace. He's not a great player overall.

Agree with that. Shows our scary lack of depth though the fact we are contemplating Isgrove as our impact player.

All vastly overrated. Sturridge and Sterling were complete pony in Brazil. And no Suarez to act as a foil this season. Coutinho is all puff as well. Get big Vic on him and he's gone. Throw in Granny Gerrard and they aren't all that really. 0-0.

I'd say the entire squad was pony to be honest. I find it difficult to judge individual England players whilst Hodgson is in charge

Sturridge scored 21 goals last season and Sterling outperformed both him and Suarez towards the end of the season. Do think there is some underestimating going on here

Oh, and you did perhaps forget Ward-Prowse, and possibly Targett. I'd have JWP on the bench instead of McQueen.