Liverpool vs Saints Build Up Thread

nta786

Oh, and you did perhaps forget Ward-Prowse, and possibly Targett. I'd have JWP on the bench instead of McQueen.

Ah, that's ok then, we're not as weak as I'd thought. I'd have Ward-Prowse either on the bench or instead of Ramirez with Tadic on the other wing.

Lovren is a quality defender, but I also disagree with this opinion about his leadership skills. Lovren is unarguably a superb footballer and a beast of a defender, he is however, IMO, still lacking in the leadership area.

From watching the two main CBs play together I got the distinct impression Fonte was the lead, and I felt we lacked composure without him. Dare I say it, Jos and Maya actually worked more effectively together than either paired with Lovren!

Last season at least, Lovren needed a steady CB partner in order to play at his best and when he didn't get that (without Fonte) we lacked a solid shape at the back.

It's sweet that you defend Fonte with such overt passion, but he's no leader just as you are no judge of defenders.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/168047-carra-lovren-is-a-leader

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/497821/Dejan-Lovren-proves-real-Reds-leader-as-Liverpool-rout-Dortmund-at-Anfield

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/08/06/hes-a-leader-brendan-rodgers-talks-about-new-liverpool-signing/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2714635/Dejan-Lovren-natural-leader-one-day-replace-Steven-Gerrard-Liverpool-captain-according-Jamie-Carragher.html

Why is Isgrove so much more of a gamble than playing Ramirez there? Isgrove has played there for every pre-season game pretty much. I'm not a big fan of his, but Koemanseems keen and he does offer a bit of pace that the rest of our line-up currently struggle with.

Because he hasn't looked very comfortable on the left, to me. I think he'd be ok on the right but it was futile expecting him to get an early ball in from the left wing when every time he attacked the line then had to cut back onto his right foot.

Ramirez is at least experienced and used to the pace of the game. He's by no means proven but at least he'd know what to expect, he's reasonably effective defensively, has the experience to play the right pass early if he was in that situation and you'd have the confidence he'd stick to the tactical plan.

Anyway, as I've forgotten Ward-Prowse I'd expect him to get in ahead of Ramirez (we'd have to shift Davis and Tadic around a bit). We're going to need as much defensive nous as possible anyway.

How can anyone say we're close to replacing the team we had last year? (I've seen some say it). To even be considering having someone like Isgrove anywhere near the squad that travels to Liverpool says a lot. Puncheon is much better and we let him go because we apparently didn't need him last year. We'll get smashed up there on Sunday but as long as we give Rickie a very good reception and Lovren dogs abuse then I'll be fine.

Koeman said Dortmund didn't make it very difficult for Liverpool and that he intends to do that. And Forster will come straight in as the No.1 goalkeeper.

Also said something about 1 or 2 more signings - hope that it was in a figurative sense.

Redder Freak already reported the most important thing here:

Koeman- "Dortmund were poor, they didn't make it very hard for Liverpool, we will do".

It's going to be games like this that we're grateful our manager was one of the best defenders of the modern era.

Prediction: 1-1, Sturridge first half, Pelle second.

Koeman- "Dortmund were poor, they didn't make it very hard for Liverpool, we will do".

It's going to be games like this that we're grateful our manager was one of the best defenders of the modern era.

Great quote! Is there a link to it?

I would set up like this to begin with:

---------------FF-------------------

Clyne--Fonte--Yoshida/new--Bertrand

--------------Wanyama-------------

---------Cork-----------Davis---------

---------------Tadic-----------------

---------------Ramirez---------------

--------------------Pelle-------------

Central mid is our strongest area so let's play a diamond and pack it. I know we won't get behind Liverpool like that unless Clyne gets forward but I think it would give us more stability than the 4-3-3 and should help cut off the supply to Liverpool's front three. I also have more faith in Gaston working a goal from nothing than in Isgrove/Mayuka doing anything effective.

If we can frustrate them for a bit and have them pushing forward we can swap Gaston or Tadic for a packer player and look to spring counters.

Davis and Cork to run their arses off knowing we have Taider and JWP on the bench.

Didn't think I was defending Fonte overtly; merely disagreeing that Saints will miss 'Lovern's leadership skills' this season. We WILL miss his natural ability as a footballer and cracking skills as a centreback, but I stand by my opinion that Lovern was NOT the key 'lead' centre back in Saints team last season.

And for now, perhaps unwisely, I am going to trust my own judgement over the PR puffery and media nosebagging you have kindly linked to, sorry!

I hope you are right, but from what I have seen so far I am not totally convinced that Pelle is the answer. I just can't see him scoring at Liverpool. Desperately hope I am proved wrong - will be following with interest from the middle of nowhere in France.

---------------FF-------------------

Clyne--Fonte--Yoshida--Bertrand

--------------Wanyama-------------

---------Tadir-----------Davis---------

---------------Tadic-----------------

---------------Ramirez---------------

--------------------Pelle-------------

Dortmund would be without their world cup winners though wouldn't they, if they even have any, suppose they do.

That's why it's a bit difficult to judge top German sides just now, all without key players, Bender was missing for Bayer wasn't he?

I just got sent this from a friend. I don't know if it has been posted anywhere but I thought it was pretty funny.

AAA GAA DO DO DO, shove your Lovren up your arse, AA GA DO DO DO, Rickie Lambert you were class,

Clattenburg, you were right that Lallana is a ****e, WE ARE RED, WE ARE WHITE, WE ARE F***ING DYNAMITE!

I just got sent this from a friend. I don't know if it has been posted anywhere but I thought it was pretty funny.

AAA GAA DO DO DO, shove your Lovren up your arse, AA GA DO DO DO, Rickie Lambert you were class,

Clattenburg, you were right that Lallana is a ****e, WE ARE RED, WE ARE WHITE, WE ARE F***ING DYNAMITE!

That's brilliant, apart from the very last bit.

Tune!

If we start with the same team as we did against Bayer Leverkusen - and play the same way - we are going to get torn apart by Liverpool on Sunday.

Mayuka, Isgrove and Yoshida looked out of their depth - and Pelle was just very disappointing. He didn't seem to have any pace or movement. Davis and Ward-Prowse just looked very flat.

We played a very one dimensional 4-3-3 - get the ball wide and cross it to Pelle or long ball it from the back to Pelle. We looked very static - Pelle hardly moved. There was no fluidity, no interchanging of positions. We didn't press the ball and we didn't build from the back.

We seemed to have lost the two things that defined the way we played last season - the pressing of the ball and the passing it out from the back without adding anything we were missing - pace or a goal scorer.

Tadic showed flashes of potential. And things improved when Taider, Ramirez and Cork came on.

But Lovren, Lallana, Lambert, Shaw, Rodriguez and Schneiderlin were key to the way we played and at the moment we are missing all 6 of them.

At the moment we don't have the players to play a 4-3-3 or 4-4-2. Our best hope is 4-2-3-1 with Cork and Wanyama sitting in front of the back 4, Tadic in the hole with Taider and Ramirez either side of him and Pelle up front.

I think I might have to watch the game from behind the sofa on Sunday

We have to hope a Suarezless Liverpool don't yet know what their best side is and are just as disjointed as us.

Think that would have been more of an issue if Lallana and Markovic were fit

Likely to be: Mignolet Manquillo Skrtel Lovren Johnson Gerrard Can Henderson Sterling Coutinho Sturridge

Think that would have been more of an issue if Lallana and Markovic were fit

Likely to be: Mignolet Manquillo Skrtel Lovren Johnson Gerrard Can Henderson Sterling Coutinho Sturridge

We'll lose through us being poor rather than them being anything special. That's not the most intimidating line up in the world.

We'll lose through us being poor rather than them being anything special. That's not the most intimidating line up in the world.

Waaay better defence but weaker upfront, so they've sorted out their main issue from last season but lost their main strength. They'll be a force but they won't finish top 4 I don't think.