Pulis quits

Yorkshire Saint

'Pulis, 56, met with chairman Steve Parish earlier in the day amid reports of friction between the pair over areas of responsibility.

The former Stoke manager has been frustrated by the failure to land a number of his transfer targets during the summer.' BBC

This does put into perspective the progress here. I think we owe Big Ron and others gratitude for the way they have managed to land some very promising players and we may now well have the nucleus of a good squad. It was a shock to lose the quality we had so suddenly. But on reflection we have much to be grateful for.

I do feel for Palace. We know how difficult it is to adjust to the Premiership and surely they would have been relegated had not Pulis arrived. He will not be without a club for long.

Football certainly is a looney bin, Pullis might not have been Sir Alex Ferguson and he might have dished up some bloody stubborn football, but Palace were a bit of a basket case until he turned up............. And we all know about the resilience of Stoke when he was there, love em or hate em Palace fans will certainly looking for Parish to pull a bloody great big Rabbit out of the hat.

Losing Pulis will be a huge blow for Palace.

I can understand why a lot of people don't rate pulis, but he is a very good manager if you want a particular job done.

He is derided a long-ball dinosaur but he is more than that. He played like that at Stoke because of the players he had when he went there, and becasue that ws a successful template he improved on it.

I don't think Palace were a lump-it side in the second half of last season.

What Pulis is excellent at is evaluating the players he has and organising them. Far from being a dinosaur he is a deep thinker and student of the game. Most summers he goes off quietly and attaches himself to a top European club and absorbs what the coaches have to say.

I'm donning my tin hat here as I say this, but I've got quite a lot of time for Pulis. He'll be back in work halfway through the season to answer an emergency call.

Losing Pulis will be a huge blow for Palace.

I can understand why a lot of people don't rate pulis, but he is a very good manager if you want a particular job done.

He is derided a long-ball dinosaur but he is more than that. He played like that at Stoke because of the players he had when he went there, and becasue that ws a successful template he improved on it.

What Pulis is excellent at is evaluating the players he has and organising them. Far from being a dinosaur he is a deep thinker and student of the game. Most summers he goes off quietly and attaches himself to a top European club and absorbs what the coaches have to say.

I'm donning my tin hat here as I say this, but I've got quite a lot of time for Pulis. He'll be back in work halfway through the season to answer an emergency call.

I think he is a great manager. Got Palace to 11th, and they were doomed before he came, and to be honest a poor team. He had to adapt his management style to incorporate their wingers. He definitely can do a job with all types of players and is not a limited manager. Palace will be relegated without him.

Don't count your chickens and write them off yet, there are several good managers hanging around, Malky, Lennon and even Sherwood might do better than Pulis, I've never rated him although he did well last year

The odds probably against them. Palace are a Championship team, yo - yo club at best. Pulis did an exceptional job and at this point it is difficult to see anyone topping that, certainly not Malky bloody Mackay.

Yes it helps us by weakening them, and hopefully allows us to keep Cork (but you never know he still may go once they get a new manager in, not 1st of Sep yet!) but you have to feel for Palace fans. That's heart achingly sad. We have to count our lucky stars. We were mullered by key players leaving but Katherina was true to her word and pumped the cash back in and thanks to Ron & Co's astute signings we're looking pretty good all things considered. After all the moaning on here, when you see stuff like this, it really makes you think come on guys, we have it pretty damn good for a team outside the top 7, still. Even with the exodus we've had. I'm very excited for our new season, more so than last season tbh because we smashed our expectations last season after finishing 14th the season before haha. Lets get behind the team and knuckle down for a good season of Saints football. :p

p.s. for all the sympathy I do hope we now keep Corky :p

Sounds like he would be the perfect manager for the English National Team.

Pulis is obviously flavour of the month at the moment because of the job he did for palace. I don't know the ins and outs of it, but it leaves a bit of a bad taste leaving this near to the season . I've read reports that he wanted players on £40k week salaries and the board don't think that's sustainable . Seeing as they've been in admin twice recently , you can't blame them. There's always been a bit of Harry Redknapp in Pulis IMO , so pushing the board to overspend is no surprise ( if it's true). At the end of the day, managers should manage the players and the board manage the finances.

Pulis is obviously flavour of the month at the moment because of the job he did for palace. I don't know the ins and outs of it, but it leaves a bit of a bad taste leaving this near to the season . I've read reports that he wanted players on £40k week salaries and the board don't think that's sustainable . Seeing as they've been in admin twice recently , you can't blame them. There's always been a bit of Harry Redknapp in Pulis IMO , so pushing the board to overspend is no surprise ( if it's true). At the end of the day, managers should manage the players and the board manage the finances.

Did a great job keeping Crystal Palace's Prem season from burning down last year, but I get the feeling that Pulis at any club for any serious length of time would just be an invite for agents representing freakishly tall players ;)

One positive for SFC in Pulis going is it means that his assistant Gerry Francis will be back on the market.

Gerry was heavily linked with the Saints job in the summer, and with good reason.

This now puts us in a strong position to give Koeman five games and if it isn't working, make the change.

Any manager that has been sacked and replaced by Steve Claridge can’t be that good. :lol:

Before he joined Portsmouth he was manager at Bristol City. I lived in Somerset at the time and attended the occasional home match at Ashton Gate. The Robins fans hated Pulis with a passion. When Portsmouth came in for him their feelings were best summed up by Scott Davidson who said: "If Portsmouth want him I will drive him there myself." As Davidson was the Bristol City chairman who had appointed Pulis only six months previously, I’ve always thought his remark was quite revealing – perhaps it’s not just the style of Pulis's football that is the problem?

The parting of Pulis and Crystal Palace makes sense to me - the timing, however, is way off.

Given how much money Pulis actually spent at Stoke (more than £100M from 2008-2013 if I'm correct), his results were not that amazing. Quite possibly Parish realised that the funds were not there to give Pulis the players that he wants and that the results were not guaranteed to improve much even if they spend lavishly. Given their recent history of economic meltdown, I can only applaud a chairman that doesn't overspend.

Meanwhile, Pulis has been able to lean back and make unrealistic demands knowing that if they were not met he could get another job at a desperate PL club in half a year. Nice little situation for him...

The timing could have been better for Palace, though :scared:

The parting of Pulis and Crystal Palace makes sense to me - the timing, however, is way off.

Given how much money Pulis actually spent at Stoke (more than £100M from 2008-2013 if I'm correct), his results were not that amazing. Quite possibly Parish realised that the funds were not there to give Pulis the players that he wants and that the results were not guaranteed to improve much even if they spend lavishly. Given their recent history of economic meltdown, I can only applaud a chairman that doesn't overspend.

Meanwhile, Pulis has been able to lean back and make unrealistic demands knowing that if they were not met he could get another job at a desperate PL club in half a year. Nice little situation for him...

The timing could have been better for Palace, though :scared:

The funds were there, they were able to agree fee's for Gylfi and Michu - but Pulis apparently didn't have enough say in getting the deal over the line, it was all handled by an internal transfer committe held together by that Moody bloke. That's where he's fallen over I think, he doesn't have enough responsibility to get players over the line and possibly feels that if he had more involvement he'd have been able to secure the likes of Gylfi/Mich etc.

One positive for SFC in Pulis going is it means that his assistant Gerry Francis will be back on the market.

Gerry was heavily linked with the Saints job in the summer, and with good reason.

This now puts us in a strong position to give Koeman five games and if it isn't working, make the change.

:lol:

Five games??

I'm sure that, if we don't win by at least 3 goals on Sunday, there'll be some on here calling for him to go.

Predictions are a mugs game but after I saw Palace at SMS last season I said they're going down because they lacked quality. Whatever, we think of Pulis at Stoke, he did an amazing job of keeping Palace up. Not sure he'll end up at West Ham though. Although getting to Stratford as a PL club is vital to them, Pulis is kind of in the Fat Sam mould and if Allardyce fails, I don't see them replacing like with like. That's probably another mug prediction.....but it's only West Ham so who cares.

Many a true word said in jest. I dont think the manager will get any stick if things go wrong.I suspect any ire will be aimed at Reed and Krueger

He'll be at West Ham before the end of September if Fat Sam has a slow start.

Ha, just thought similar to this. The West Ham board kept their nerve last season but it's so important that they are in the EPL for the start of next season in their new ground - will their nerve hold again?

Ha, just thought similar to this. The West Ham board kept their nerve last season but it's so important that they are in the EPL for the start of next season in their new ground - will their nerve hold again?

My Palace contact reckons it will happen, Pulis looking for an excuse.

I got 8-1 this morning, good luck getting that price now!

Guardian reckons Sherwood is a likely replacement for Pulis. People complain about our board, but at least we haven't appointed that numpty our manager.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/17/tim-sherwood-crystal-palace-tony-pulis-manager?CMP=twt_gu

Employing the Spurs manager with the highest win percentage in their history may not be the worst thing they could have done.... #devilsadvocate

Guardian reckons Sherwood is a likely replacement for Pulis. People complain about our board, but at least we haven't appointed that numpty our manager.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/17/tim-sherwood-crystal-palace-tony-pulis-manager?CMP=twt_gu

Employing the Spurs manager with the highest win percentage in their history may not be the worst thing they could have done.... #devilsadvocate

My mate bumped into Sherwood and Les Ferdinand at Celtic manor last week. He said Sherwood was ****ed as a rat and acting like a right twt in the bar.

My mate bumped into Sherwood and Les Ferdinand at Celtic manor last week. He said Sherwood was ****ed as a rat and acting like a right twt in the bar.