• Ward-Prowse
    • Tadic
    • Long
    • Pelle
    • Gardos
    • Davis, S
    • Wanyama

I don't mind that so much.

I remember a few seasons ago (v Everton? Redknapp in charge?) when a shot was taken, straight at the keeper, they attacked with us too far forward, scored, lost vital points, relegated (I think).

No doubt someone on here will remember better than me.

Comments I remember at the time included: "He should have hoofed it into the stand".

Crouch.*shudder*

what a fantastic result.i love how swansea played in the first,they really do play good football.Big Vic is a beast i love him and would be first name on my teamsheet every week.I really thought we were going to struggle this year ,i love being proved wrong please keep it up saints.

Koeman must really know his players. There would have been a few raised eyebrows at his decision to start Yoshida and JWP, but he's got it right again.

Yoshida was very committed and got stuck in against an intimidating attack, but I thought JWP, whom I like, seemed a level below the rest of the team. When they had the ball he retreated and retreated and when we had the ball, he struggled to have any effect. I know it's not his style of play, but he'd need to toughen up a lot to be of use in a match like this. Davis or even Wanyama would have influence on the game. Wanyama against Bony would have been fearsome today!

Their press was extremely effective against us in that first half. We couldn't string more than 5 passes together.

Got very lucky with the Bony red but it was definitely there, stupid play from him.

Delivery into the box was poor with a few exceptions.

I feel like we dropped too much tempo in that 2nd half because they gave us so much time on the ball. Perhaps a bit more emergency and flair/trying things is needed when we're a man up and should be 100% pushing for the win. It took a defensive mid scoring his 1st goal in 16 months to break them down, you'd hope one of the regular attacking players could've made the breakthrough.

That's my nitpicking the areas to improve on to make us an ever better team. What a start to the season. Deserved a result in every game bar WBA and we've shown some great adaptability to different situations that we might not have had under MP. Can't wait to rub in the ladder position to my Liverpool mates this week.

The bad stuff first:

Swansea were hammering us before the red card

Sloppy final 3rd play especially crosses

Midfield a bit porous with no Davis or Wanyama

Now the good:

Took full advantage of the extra man and dominated the second half

Another midfield scorer

Another clean sheet

2nd \o/

Yep. Agree with this. Big Vic was immense. Defo got my MoM vote. He tended to get on the score sheet at Celtic playing in a slightly more advanced role, so why shouldn't he for us?

Very happy with the three points.

The sending off drastically changed the game in our favour. Swansea can't complain because both yellow cards were warranted, although we were perhaps a little fortunate that Fonte stayed on the pitch given his wild swing after he had already been cautioned.

Second half we took full advantage and really dominated the game. Swansea defended resolutely and for a while I didn't think we would get the breakthrough. I thought it was a very professional performance in the end, considering we were being swamped a little in the first half.

Great to see Vic get a goal. On current form I think he should be in the starting eleven.

2nd in the table - I've got a nosebleed!

Hving watched the game on NBC sports stream the commentators rightly pointed out that RK didn't seem keen to introduce Wanyama. Wanyama didn't look overly extra tic when he celebrated, as he's not scored for us before maybe that's how he always celebrates, but I think that JWP's bad luck became RK's and all ours good! This season does seem to be very good Karma so far.

The bad stuff first:

Swansea were hammering us before the red card

Sloppy final 3rd play especially crosses

Midfield a bit porous with no Davis or Wanyama

Now the good:

Took full advantage of the extra man and dominated the second half

Another midfield scorer

Another clean sheet

2nd \o/

Agreed. Points for improvement but great result.

We really struggled 1st half to get the ball out, Swansea were all over us in midfield. Although the defence still looked fairly solid, apart from Dyer hitting the bar and Bertrands clearance off the line I cant remember that many clear chances they had.

Bony's sending off was fully deserved and we controlled the game from then on. However we struggled to make many clear cut chances, we were putting lots of crosses into the box but Swansea were defending the box well and our crosses weren't that great.

Wanyama totally changed things around when he came on: Swansea were sitting back but he rampaged through them, always winning the ball back. I was amazed to see him running through for the goal! Totally used to see him sitting back as a DM.

I wonder what Koeman would have done if JWP hadn't got injured, to be honest I wasn't impressed with him today, offered very little and I was surprised that Davis came in for Cork, not JWP.

All in all I think things fell fortunately into place very nicely today, but hey, games are like that sometimes.

We're 2nd!!! COYR

Story line of the match? Bony and our central defence received 4 yellow cards in the first 40 minutes and we came out on top. Perhaps a bit lucky events happened the way they did. I remember thinking at 20 minutes, this match is not going to end with 22 players on the pitch. Was surprised how physical the match was, early going. Didn't really feel anything was dirty or cheap, just hard. Credit to Fonte for playing for that long with the yellow, but he seems quite good at that. (Does anyone keep a stat on minutes played with a yellow without being sent off?)

Wanyama, Gardos, and Davis all looked very good coming on, especially the first two. Very strong in possession, although likely the events of the game (i.e. Swansea paying very high tempo for the first 40 minutes, then a man down the rest of the way) flattered them. Nice to see yet another goal from a central midfielder.

Pelle looks like a load up front. A bit unlucky not to score before 80 minutes, then the last 15 seemed knackered and was terribly wasteful.

MOTM for us, as EOA said was Bony. No choice for him in the poll, so I went with Bertrand (enjoyed his battle with Dyer, who I rate) although no one player for me stood out. Perhaps Fonte as well.

Dont think I have felt so good about the Saints since we got to the Cup Final in 2003 especially after the gloom and doom of July

I think Katarina Reed and Krugeur should be congratulated in selling five players for nearly £100k and replacing them with possibly better players

Koeman may one day become the best manager we ever had if things work out really well he is certainly the dogs bollix at the moment