Long - Thoughts?

St Marco

Because, assuming he doesn't score against Chelsea, he will be on course for a total of 4 goals in the entire season as a wing-forward/second-striker.

He cannot beat a man, he cannot hold the ball up, he cannot finish.

If his name was Carlos Sanchez, Dkimbe Ogbonna or Yuki Takamoto he'd be slated by the fans as being another horrendously overpriced foreign signing and a colossal waste of money.

Because he's Shane Long he's viewed by the granddads in our fanbase as a hard-worker and a 'good honest player', rather than the ineffective, talentless try-hard that he is.

I can only assume your choice of username reflects your age. Because your knowledge of football is pretty limited if this post is anything to go by.

'Ineffective, talentless try-hard' - stunning lack of self awareness.

Because, assuming he doesn't score against Chelsea, he will be on course for a total of 4 goals in the entire season as a wing-forward/second-striker.

If his name was Carlos Sanchez, Dkimbe Ogbonna or Yuki Takamoto he'd be slated by the fans as being another horrendously overpriced foreign signing and a colossal waste of money.

Because he's Shane Long he's viewed by the granddads in our fanbase as a hard-worker and a 'good honest player', rather than the ineffective, talentless try-hard that he is.

As the great Alex ferguson said "working hard is a talent". The performance he gave against Everton was one if the hardest working ones I've seen in 40 odd years of watching . He unsettled a pretty decent back 4 and was a major part of a great team performance . He was left out today, and here's the thing, I bet he didn't sulk or complain , just got on with it . I don't quite understand what sort of squad players you think we could attract to our club. I bet the players and staff appreciate the job he does.

LMFAO - Try another sport, Football is not for you.

Great signing and every bit the 12 million pound we paid for him.

Thought he was excellent again today

I like long a lot. but £12m?....eer!!!

Given that teams knew we had money, he was on a long contract and they had paid £6million for him 6 months earlier then it's not an unreasonable fee.

Also when you contrast his impact compared to Ramirez who cost the same amount...it's a good analogy that. Long is worth that amount because of how positively he affects the team and fits into the system. Ramirez is undoubtedly the technically better player, but is he worth more to us than Long? Absolutely not.

Given that teams knew we had money, he was on a long contract and they had paid £6million for him 6 months earlier then it's not an unreasonable fee.

Also when you contrast his impact compared to Ramirez who cost the same amount...it's a good analogy that. Long is worth that amount because of how positively he affects the team and fits into the system. Ramirez is undoubtedly the technically better player, but is he worth more to us than Long? Absolutely not.

Justifying Long's value using Ramirez's fee tells its own story.

He works hard, but wastes so much. Which is fine, because we know he does. And he does affect the opponents.

But is miles better at winning fouls than scoring. Any goals from him are a bonus, which for a team like Saints shouldnt be the case for a near record signing striker.

Justifying Long's value using Ramirez's fee tells its own story.

He works hard, but wastes so much. Which is fine, because we know he does. And he does affect the opponents.

But is miles better at winning fouls than scoring. Any goals from him are a bonus, which for a team like Saints shouldnt be the case for a near record signing striker.

It's almost like you don't know how a team ​works. I give up.

I always say, look at how Hull replaced Shane Long. I'm sure they'd rather than Long than Abel Hernandez.

So would I. More fool Hull that they wasted the cash.

I guess people have different opinions, which is fine. Absolutely cannot fault Long for effort, character etc but you certainly can for quality. Anyone that can't see that has red and white specs, and not the sort they sell in the megastore!

Nobody is prolific apart from the full backs. Can't single out Long although that won't stop you

Pelle is prolific, Clyne and Bertrand have an equal number of League goals to Long, also Wanyama our defensive midfielder. Long does do more than score though, has drawn a number of key fouls in the season.

Just needs to take more chances to really prove his worth IMO.

Ramirez was slated but in his first season scored in about one in five league games. Long is on one in nine.

Lets hope for a Shano goal on Sunday, looks certain to start and Everton was his best game in a Saints shirt.

Scoring goals consistently is the hardest thing in football and he certainly does offer more than that so hopefully we can keep sharing the goals around and he can keep unsettling defences.

If come the end of the season he has scored in five or six of the 38 games (one so far) then he will have pretty much matched his PL career which is all realistically you can ask.

He is our Soldado but probably with more impact!

Edited by Saint Charlie

Hey. I like him

But for a club like saints to spend £12m

Too high IMO.

Do you not think "that for a club like Saints to spend 12 million" shows our intent. Clearly 12 million was what we had to pay to get him but this is a very good investment. He is a very good proffessional and I am sure over the years his value will become more obvious to you doubters.

Valuable squad member. £12m is a lot but that's the way it is, anyway he is young with time to adapt to our way and become a 20m asset. I like the way he runs wide, draws defences out and creates space where we want it,

What are you on about - a £20m asset? He turns 28 next month - what you see is what you get with him. For a player that relies so much on pace, if anything, his value is only likely to depreciate.

Out of interest, if 28 yo Long is good value at 12m how what would people estimate Jay Rod to be worth?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zbbp_h234eU

Was looking through his goals from last season the other day and as well as being fast and hassling defences, he is a class footballer, very good finisher with a great attitude and scored something like 18 goals last season. Many of which Long isnt good enough to score IMO.

At 24/25 if Long (28) is £12m then Jay Rod must be £25m plus?.

Out of interest, if 28 yo Long is good value at 12m how what would people estimate Jay Rod to be worth?

Was looking through his goals from last season the other day and as well as being fast and hassling defences, he is a class footballer, very good finisher with a great attitude and scored something like 18 goals last season. Many of which Long isnt good enough to score IMO.

If jay Rod had been healthy last summer we certainly could have sold him for 25 million or more.

I wouldn't call Long good value for money. The massively inflated fees that were received for Lallana, Shaw and Lovren however made £12m seem quite modest in comparison.

This will run and run as all parties are right here. He isn't worth 12.5m - he was only worth 6m six month previous and hardly set the world alight. That said he falls into an ever increasing bucket of madness/desperate buys that the wads of sky cash have driven. So he compares favourably to a load of other misfits (inc Osvaldo, Ramirez for us) but we did pay well over the odds. He also has had a positive impact on our squad / results so is of value, and when you are going into a season with 60m in your pocket and a few days left to get another striker in, it could have been much worse. His value won't go up however - if we sold now we would be lucky to get 8, but we don't need to sell as he is a great squad player who we should keep around for his contract (unless we go down, in which case his 50k a week would need to be off the books)

I'm not a grandad, but maybe you're not as old as me and remember a player named Teddy Sheringham. He didn't score as many goals as others in his role as second striker, but you ask the main strikers that he did play with eg Alan Shearer and they will tell you how fantastic he was.

Long is like that. High on effort and workrate, a team player. We all agree that he isn't worth £12M but that isn't his fault. He will alternate with Mane and Jay Rod for the 2nd striker role.

I would start with Long tomorrow, and give Pelle a break with a place on the bench. Long is the kind of forward Terry & Cahill will not like as he runs the channels and takes defenders back towards their own goal. Pelle is likely to be exactly the type Cahill & Terry love to play against - one that does a lot with his back to goal trying to bring others into play. Cahill & Terry will just clamber all over him and the ref will give him little or no protection.

Fantastic player to have in the squad. The sort of player you want to start or come off the bench, at the point in the game you want to have a go at teams and really get at them. He is a player I hate as opposition but love the fact he is in our squad.

I would start with Long tomorrow, and give Pelle a break with a place on the bench. Long is the kind of forward Terry & Cahill will not like as he runs the channels and takes defenders back towards their own goal. Pelle is likely to be exactly the type Cahill & Terry love to play against - one that does a lot with his back to goal trying to bring others into play. Cahill & Terry will just clamber all over him and the ref will give him little or no protection.

Apart from if a chance falls, Pelle is a lot more likely to score, meaning Saints are more likely to get something from the game.

He tries really hard but ultimately lacks the talent , the footballing nous, to really impress.

Saint Charlie that is.

More than happy with Long.

Clever response.

We are lucky others are better in front of goal, meaning the team hasn't been too adversely affected by a £12m striker having only scored in one league game by Christmas!

Hopefully he nets tomorrow.

Previously I Never liked him myself but I voted for him as MOTM against Everton. Also credit to him for being ok with squad rotation and being played out of position most games.

IMO his signing has been a success. The fee is irrelevant to me, I don't pay it,I pay to watch the team and he a is a big part of a very good team that I get a lot of joy and pride from.

For one I am glad he is part of our team, he seems like an ok guy and he has won me over.