International week

Batman

Thank god that's over and we can get back to club football I'm missing saints playing. Try as I might I find it really hard to get excited about England these days. Lasts nights game was the most interesting game I've watched England play in since the last game between England and Scotland.

Why we don't have some sort of Home nations football tournament is a mystery to me. Games between the home nations are far more interesting than qualifying games against some eastern European nation.

I counted 6 current or ex Saints on display for England last night, more than half the team at the end.

That's pretty amazing.

Scotland are a Strachan team, work hard and make life difficult but they just don't have the players.

I'd keep that England lineup, looked pretty decent to me.

Sat and watched the England game with the resident members of my family last night. Thought there was the chance of a good game, and so it was. It wasn't really a surprise that the ref let players get stuck in, but it was quite nice to see our England cohort survive it without injury, just as it was nice to see so many former Southampton players doing a job for the team. Irrespective of any feelings that we may have for defectors, it'll be something if England get some "Made In Southampton" success. Quite possible too. Many of these players know each other's games, as Lambert's pass to Lallana showed. It could be the start of another golden generation. Early days though, yet.

I'm not even going to moan about Rooney, because largely, I can't. Good performance from him last night. Might be the sort of player to be improved with the responsibility of captaincy.

Who would have thought that nearly 4 years on from that cold dark night in Oldham when Alex, Adam and Rickie all scored in the 6-0 win that they would all play on the same night for an England team? I know they have all moved on, but credit where its due going from League One to the national team.

Who would have thought that nearly 4 years on from that cold dark night in Oldham when Alex, Adam and Rickie all scored in the 6-0 win that they would all play on the same night for an England team? I know they have all moved on, but credit where its due going from League One to the national team.

I was there!

Thank god that's over and we can get back to club football I'm missing saints playing. Try as I might I find it really hard to get excited about England these days. Lasts nights game was the most interesting game I've watched England play in since the last game between England and Scotland.

Why we don't have some sort of Home nations football tournament is a mystery to me. Games between the home nations are far more interesting than qualifying games against some eastern European nation.

These games are only interesting now because they are played so infrequently.

If you are old enough to remember the old Home Championships they became very tired, and would often be played by England, and to a lesser extent Scotland, with experimental squads, after players were withdrawn due to club commitments (if in European finals etc).

If you are old enough to remember the old Home Championships they became very tired, and would often be played by England, and to a lesser extent Scotland, with experimental squads, after players were withdrawn due to club commitments (if in European finals etc).

I have vague memories from being quite small of England and Northern Ireland playing out a highly tedious 0-0 draw. It still remains one of the dullest games I have ever seen.

One of my all time favourite games. Six different scorers, all from open play. Oh, and Adkins said afterwards "We'll analyse it, because there's always things we can improve on" :) #proud

Agree entirely. I saw enough games against Wales and N Ireland to put me off for life. As is said "absence makes the heart grow fonder". In the eyes of the scousers, Daniel Sturridge will be up there with Ronaldo and Messi by the time he eventually turns out.

FA have apologise for 'anti-IRA' singing from the England section and hope no one was offended

any ideas what that 'singing; was?

Yeah, the band were playing "Follow England Away". The fans were singing "Fúck the IRA". According to this article, the FA phoned the band and got them to stop playing it at half time.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/18/fa-forced-to-intervene-to-stop-england-band-playing-anti-ira-songs

Yeah, the band were playing "Follow England Away". The fans were singing "Fúck the IRA". According to this article, the FA phoned the band and got them to stop playing it at half time.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/18/fa-forced-to-intervene-to-stop-england-band-playing-anti-ira-songs

it was always going to happen...a game in the heart of the football symbol of anti-british feelings outside of England.

and as much as the scots were going to boo the national anthem

"god save the queen was sang 4 times in the 1st half"

"rule britannia, england fans sang confusingly"

oh wow, what a crime lol. what a bitter article

heard on 5live this morning that singing along to the great escape is also very insensitive and that england are starting to have a 'fan problem'

Edited by Batman

Quote Originally Posted by sussexsaint

"i was surprised by my reaction every time lallana was involved, a real visceral dislike - such a shame"

"I didn't mind him last night. I think I'm starting to heal."

Don't worry he's bound to make some more crass remarks to stir up the hatred again.

Edited by OVER THE HILL

Good snippet in the Guardian this morning - winners and losers over the international break (sorry if its already been posted)

Nathaniel Clyne

The Southampton right-back is a key member of the Premier League’s best defence and he showed why in an accomplished debut for England against Slovenia – Clyne carried out his defensive duties diligently and showed good adventure going forward. He is likely to be buzzing when Southampton visit Aston Villa on Monday night.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/nov/19/premier-league-winners-losers-international-break

The BBC headline is "English FA Apologise for Anti-IRA singing" but then goes on to say nothing about any such apology. I wonder who they would apologise to?

The BBC headline is "English FA Apologise for Anti-IRA singing" but then goes on to say nothing about any such apology. I wonder who they would apologise to?

Presumably the FA want England fans to chant pro IRA songs instead.

I watched the game on TV last night and heard nothing and therefore could not be offended. But the media then go to town to ensure that everyone knows what was being chanted. On 5Live apparently it was "no surrender, no surrender, no surrender to the IRA" to the tune of "Sing Hosanna", the traditional Glasgow Rangers song sung to stir up religious hatred at he Auld Firm games. How anyone was surprised that this happened at Celtic Park in an Auld Enemy match is beyond belief. Naive to say the least.

The main problem with England fans is the sheer predictability of the songs. Anyone with even the mildest sense of what might happen would have guessed they'd interspers songs about IRA with Rule Britannia and the national anthem. The ******* band don't help, no one likes them, I'm unsure why they persist.

What a load off rubbish, I have got an England FA approved bottle opener which plays the great escape tune when you use it, the FA are total hypocrites.

it was always going to happen...a game in the heart of the football symbol of anti-british feelings outside of England.

and as much as the scots were going to boo the national anthem

"god save the queen was sang 4 times in the 1st half"

"rule britannia, england fans sang confusingly"

oh wow, what a crime lol. what a bitter article

heard on 5live this morning that singing along to the great escape is also very insensitive and that england are starting to have a 'fan problem'

Still a little mythed that 5-10% of a group of people singing a song about an illegal terroist organisation is seen as worse than 90-95% of same group booing and whistling ours/theirs National Anthem that doesn't appear to warrant a mention.

Never mind, what was the score again? :p

To be fair God Save the Queen is a bloody terrible anthem. I struggle to get behind it at all due to be an atheist and anti royal, would much rather have something like Jerusalem like we do in the cricket.

Thought Lallana had his best game in an England shirt last night, annoyingly. Fraser made a good save when called upon but his distribution wasn't great *****il Lambert came on, as he was the only England forward capable, and therefore willing, to fight for the long balls forward.)

Shaw looked like a competition winner at times, didn't look half the player we saw in red last year. Clyne excellent, but then, he always is!

Pleased the internationals are over now, just a shame we have to wait all the way until Monday now to get to see the mighty saints back in action..

To be fair God Save the Queen is a bloody terrible anthem. I struggle to get behind it at all due to be an atheist and anti royal, would much rather have something like Jerusalem like we do in the cricket.

I can't really disagree with you - I'd like to see an English anthem - but that's not the argument here.

.......Am I totally alone .......in being amazed at the " love affair between the media and Jack Wilshere "? .. I really do not rate him above several others in the England squad.

Maybe I don't see enough of his Arsenal matches to judge .....but I fail to see how he warrants so much praise in his England games, based on those I've watched.

Certainly, he laid on a nice pass for AOC to score last night, but he's out of the action for long periods in many games I've seen, and his passing game seems little better than average.

.......Am I totally alone .......in being amazed at the " love affair between the media and Jack Wilshere "? .. I really do not rate him above several others in the England squad.

Maybe I don't see enough of his Arsenal matches to judge .....but I fail to see how he warrants so much praise in his England games, based on those I've watched.

Certainly, he laid on a nice pass for AOC to score last night, but he's out of the action for long periods in many games I've seen, and his passing game seems little better than average.

No, David, you are NOT alone. Nothing special about him. Usually 10 yard square passes and goes round in crop circles.

as an atheist, you would rather sing a whole song based on religion

fair enough

Surely you would object to that also due to being an atheist?

as an atheist, you would rather sing a whole song based on religion

There's not really a lot of choice to be honest, and that's the best of a (very) bad bunch. GSTQ - terrible, just terrible. Land of hope and glory - religion, monarchy and dubious colonial undertones, which leaves Jerusalem. It's not perfect but it's better than the other choices.

The best national anthem i think is La Marseillaise, shame we don't have anything like that really (all though nearly all national anthems are bloody terrible)

There's not really a lot of choice to be honest, and that's the best of a (very) bad bunch. GSTQ - terrible, just terrible. Land of hope and glory - religion, monarchy and dubious colonial undertones, which leaves Jerusalem. It's not perfect but it's better than the other choices.

The best national anthem i think is La Marseillaise, shame we don't have anything like that really (all though nearly all national anthems are bloody terrible)

Can't we just use this certainly not religious or Monarchist :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOe9PJrbo0s

[video=youtube;i9nnnM-__JQ]

He is a tempo player, I rate him personally but realistically he needs another couple of midfielders to do his running otherwise he goes missing

I dont quite get why we are stuck with the british national anthem whilst they are allowed 'flower of scotland'

Jerusalem would be great

He is a tempo player, I rate him personally but realistically he needs another couple of midfielders to do his running otherwise he goes missing

......if he's a midfielder who can't run - he shouldn't be there......not at his (young) age. MLT didn't run much either, but his end-product was much more exciting to watch.

I recall Alan Ball (R.I.P.) saying once that (at 36).......he played across the pitch, and had players like the (young) Steve Williams do his running for him.

That's acceptable maybe, but in today's formations attacking midfield players need to do more running than anyone.