International week

Batman

Sterling and Shaw should still be in the U21s!! Totally back Gareth Southgate asking for them to be in his squad, it'll make them far better players.

Yep. Much better to bring them through together at U21 with less pressure. Much better place to learn your trade. One thing England massively lack is a team spirit, this would help that.

Meanwhile, I've been watching Mane in the Senegal/Egypt game. He has been hacked to pieces. Pretty unhappy with the ref. Must have been down 20 times, though to be fair about a third of those may not have been actual fouls. He is one tricksy player, and looks like Egyptian defense under orders to make life really hard for him. Anyway, he's still on the pitch so hopefully no lasting injury.

Henderson was playing well last season, but he seems to have regressed. Shame as he was looking to push on - maybe he's just suffering a lack of confidence playing in a poor team that is under pressure?

Honestly think playing with Gerrard every week is holding him back. Has to do the running of two players.

That was just sh*te. Result be damned, our national side is desperately bad. No attempt at cohesion until they were put under pressure, symptomatic of a complacent, entitled group of prima donna c***s who embrace the shop window of career progression that the white shirt represents.

Edited by Colinjb

That was just sh*te. Result be damned, our national side is desperately bad. No attempt at cohesion until they were put under pressure, symptomatic of a complacent, entitled group of prima donna c***s who embrace the shop window of career progression that the white shirt represents.

most international football is crap to watch, these days

Sterling and Shaw should still be in the U21s!! Totally back Gareth Southgate asking for them to be in his squad, it'll make them far better players.

Why would them playing in the U21s make them better players? They're good enough for regular Prem starts, Champions League games etc.

It wasn't that bad.

What exactly were you expecting?

Hard working opposition that made life difficult. Have you seen the results that have been happening in international football over the last 6 months?

I only watched the 2nd half but thought Wilshere played very well

Yep, I thought he was decent, thought Welbeck was good as well.

I thought Clyne played within himself a bit & didn't bomb on as much as he does for; not sure if that was confidence, managerial instruction, or the fact that Slovenia seemed to keep a few players upfront for a lot of the game.

It wasn't that bad.

What exactly were you expecting?

Hard working opposition that made life difficult. Have you seen the results that have been happening in international football over the last 6 months?

Leicester were that last week. Slovenia offered nothing and we showed nothing in comparison until the own goal. It was desperate stuff, devoid of effort and backbone until we made it tricky for ourselves.

Against Switzerland we showed that there is potential for life, here eleven players went through the motions in an attempted spectacle, it was a complete waste of time.

I expect the England side to show a little self respect, there were and indeed are pathetic.

Why would them playing in the U21s make them better players? They're good enough for regular Prem starts, Champions League games etc.

It's a better route for them in terms of learning - they'd get even more game time and the chance to play in the U21 championship next year. How much learning would they get from doing well in that championship? Learning about the pressures and what it takes to progress through the rounds. Not to mention crucial team bonding.

Other countries use their U21s a lot more, we definitely should, especially with the opportunity of next year. I'd also add Chambers to the list.

Leicester were that last week. Slovenia offered nothing and we showed nothing in comparison until the own goal. It was desperate stuff, devoid of effort and backbone until we made it tricky for ourselves.

Against Switzerland we showed that there is potential for life, here eleven players went through the motions in an attempted spectacle, it was a complete waste of time.

I expect the England side to show a little self respect, there were and indeed are pathetic.

Way, way over the top in my opinion.

We dictated the game, but were sloppy in the final ball on a few occasions, but in the end deserved it. We may have been guilty for going through the motions at points in the 1st half, but I thought we were good in the 2nd.

The performance in many ways was similar to how Southampton performed against Leicester.

What does "showing self respect" in the context of a team playing a game of football even mean?

England were the better side all game and won by two goals. Have you seen some of the results from around European football? Winning a game by two goals is a reasonable effort, job done.

It's a better route for them in terms of learning - they'd get even more game time and the chance to play in the U21 championship next year. How much learning would they get from doing well in that championship? Learning about the pressures and what it takes to progress through the rounds. Not to mention crucial team bonding.

Other countries use their U21s a lot more, we definitely should, especially with the opportunity of next year. I'd also add Chambers to the list.

What would they learn playing for the U21s that they wouldn't learn playing for the full side or their clubs?

Way, way over the top in my opinion.

We dictated the game, but were sloppy in the final ball on a few occasions, but in the end deserved it. We may have been guilty for going through the motions at points in the 1st half, but I thought we were good in the 2nd.

The performance in many ways was similar to how Southampton performed against Leicester.

Exactly. Obviously not a classic game, but patience to break down an organised, stubborn opposition. Hardly any games are thrillingly exciting easy wins.

What would they learn playing for the U21s that they wouldn't learn playing for the full side or their clubs?

As I've just said, there is an U21s championship next year, what better than to progress as a team, learning about team work and how to progress through the rounds in the championship? It's a valuable learning experience that is available to them, next year. Something that'll benefit them and the 'main' England team in the 2016 championships.

Not sure what you expect. Most people on here say the players are average, not world class etc etc so they win comfortable in the end, sit top of the group and still not good enough.

Perhaps I am expecting too much, certainly my feeling on the game does seem out of kilter on the basis of three others. Nonetheless, against opposition who were markedly inferior man for man we laboured and had to be on the end of a self inflicted deficit before stepping up. That speaks volumes to me and I stand by my negativity. I am expecting a defeat against the Scots on the basis that they are beginning to become the exact opposite of England, a team that exceed the value of their parts, not one that operates within their own limits.

Edited by Colinjb

As I've just said, there is an U21s championship next year, what better than to progress as a team, learning about team work and how to progress through the rounds in the championship? It's a valuable learning experience that is available to them, next year. Something that'll benefit them and the 'main' England team in the 2016 championships.
But surely it's better to integrate your best players into one team/squad, bond them together, so they're well set for the start of Euro 2014, rather than throwing in a few players that have never played together before.

But surely it's better to integrate your best players into one team/squad, bond them together, so they're well set for the start of Euro 2014, rather than throwing in a few players that have never played together before.

Or, throw in a group of young players who have played together before in their formative years and let them hit the ground running?

Or, throw in a group of young players who have played together before in their formative years and let them hit the ground running?
But what if your best team is a mix of experienced players witha few young ones thrown in (as is the case with England) - surely it makes sense to use the qualifying campaign as an opportunity to bond them into a united squad, fully prepared to hit the ground running.

But what if your best team is a mix of experienced players witha few young ones thrown in (as is the case with England) - surely it makes sense to use the qualifying campaign as an opportunity to bond them into a united squad, fully prepared to hit the ground running.

Only if you can take the core of youngsters and throw them in confidently.... Don't let the pressure of the environment constrict them. Let them develop out of direct sight in the U21's. Let them mature, do not rush things.