International week

Batman

Only if you can take the core of youngsters and throw them in confidently.... Don't let the pressure of the environment constrict them. Let them develop out of direct sight in the U21's. Let them mature, do not rush things.
They're playing for Man Utd, Liverpool etc, Champions League football, high pressure expectations, playing them in the U21s rather than the first XI for England won't make any difference.

They're playing for Man Utd, Liverpool etc, Champions League football, high pressure expectations, playing them in the U21s rather than the first XI for England won't make any difference.

For separate teams. They need time to learn each other's games, learn how to play together.... and do it without every single misstep being dissected.

Why would them playing in the U21s make them better players? They're good enough for regular Prem starts, Champions League games etc.

I think the idea is you have a core of settled players who know each other and the system that the national side wants to play, so after 3 or 4 years they all step up into the first team a few at a time and you have a side that knows, likes and plays for each other in a style of play they know inside out.

I think the idea is you have a core of settled players who know each other and the system that the national side wants to play, so after 3 or 4 years they all step up into the first team a few at a time and you have a side that knows, likes and plays for each other in a style of play they know inside out.
But at what point to you step them up? You'd want to do it in advance of a major competition, get the players integrated into the team and squad, which is what is happening.

But at what point to you step them up? You'd want to do it in advance of a major competition, get the players integrated into the team and squad, which is what is happening.

You wouldn't need to integrate them if they had been playing together since they were 17/18 that's the point. You introduce the next "batch" just after each tournament, that gives them 2 years to get used to any extra pressures.

You wouldn't need to integrate them if they had been playing together since they were 17/18 that's the point. You introduce the next "batch" just after each tournament, that gives them 2 years to get used to any extra pressures.
But that's not the point being put forward on this thread - it was suggested that some of our younger players should still be with the U21s now, rather than forming part of the current squad.

I've been critical of Hodgson for a variety of reasons, but I think he's done a good job in giving young players an opportunity to break through in most cases.

But that's not the point being put forward on this thread - it was suggested that some of our younger players should still be with the U21s now, rather than forming part of the current squad.

I've been critical of Hodgson for a variety of reasons, but I think he's done a good job in giving young players an opportunity to break through in most cases.

I know but it has to start at some point, if we're going to do it we need to say 'right, from now on players will stay in the under 21s until they're actually over 21'. It'll weaken the first team short term but from 2016 onwards we should start seeing a more cohesive unit.

Just a reminder Netherlands vs Latvia today :)

I think we have to root for Netherlands unfortunately to do away with the rumours of Koeman to the Dutch team as Guus is up for the sack if they fail to beat Latvia. I say unfortunately because our very own Latvian Michael Owen is of course coaching the Latvian side.

I'm torn, I have wished Marian every success and followed his managerial career closely but the Dutch job would be a big carrot to Koeman (yes I've seen his quotes dismissing the job) and the press would be unbearable.

Just a reminder Netherlands vs Latvia today :)

I think we have to root for Netherlands unfortunately to do away with the rumours of Koeman to the Dutch team as Guus is up for the sack if they fail to beat Latvia. I say unfortunately because our very own Latvian Michael Owen is of course coaching the Latvian side.

I'm torn, I have wished Marian every success and followed his managerial career closely but the Dutch job would be a big carrot to Koeman (yes I've seen his quotes dismissing the job) and the press would be unbearable.

A Dutch reporter said the other day he has regular contact with Ron and said he's enjoying his time here more than he has at any other club , he's ****ed that he was overlooked (made some funny joke about koeman wiping his ass with a Germany shirt after playing them and said is similar to how he feels now) and also said he would wager a thousand pounds that he would stay with us!

As per Serbian papers Tadic will miss friendly game against Greece due to knee injury, and he is on his way back to Southampton. In my opinion there is no reason to worry. After Serbian manager resigned, friendly game will be irrelevant, and 5 injured players got permission to leave national team.

It's a better route for them in terms of learning - they'd get even more game time and the chance to play in the U21 championship next year. How much learning would they get from doing well in that championship? Learning about the pressures and what it takes to progress through the rounds. Not to mention crucial team bonding.

Other countries use their U21s a lot more, we definitely should, especially with the opportunity of next year. I'd also add Chambers to the list.

Exactly this, been saying it for years.

Amazing that he continually gets away with it, considering that it's not as if no pundit ever brings it up in their analysis.

Exactly my thoughts. He thought that Allen had blocked him some 5 mins before and so deliberately stuck his elbow in when he had a chance...nasty piece of work.