Arsenal vs Saints - Build Up

Lighthouse

I don't think it's a case of being scared or not up for the fight, I think it's rather a case of players being worn down by having played virtually every match and internationals to boot. We have no alternative options, what ou see is what ou get so those that are on their 20th or so match since August are beginning to look frayed at the edges. RK needs to understand that the League Cup is for the youth team and fringe players only. If you can win with that you do if you can't well tough titty.

I would rather concentrate on trying to win the League cup than delude ourselves we have a hope of finishing top 4 and end up with nothing.

I would rather concentrate on trying to win the League cup than delude ourselves we have a hope of finishing top 4 and end up with nothing.

spot on, the League Cup has presented us with a great opportunity of silverware and European football. I'd happily finish 17th if that happens, it's no different to finishing 8th

I want to go to Wembley in March, only 3 games away, go for it play the best team available please! Try and win all games, don't agree players looked frayed yesterday at all - up until they scored it was even, two human errors undone us and an unfortunate injury. Get off Pelles back as well, same old posters said exactly the same last season about SRL, worn out records.

spot on, the League Cup has presented us with a great opportunity of silverware and European football. I'd happily finish 17th if that happens, it's no different to finishing 8th

Yes it is, it takes one heck of a lot of crap football to finish 17th. It would be like watching Wigley and Redknapp again, except with a win over Man Utd on the last day.

I don't think it's a case of being scared or not up for the fight, I think it's rather a case of players being worn down by having played virtually every match and internationals to boot. We have no alternative options, what ou see is what ou get so those that are on their 20th or so match since August are beginning to look frayed at the edges. RK needs to understand that the League Cup is for the youth team and fringe players only. If you can win with that you do if you can't well tough titty.

Strange how Morgan says he wants to play every 3 days (as part of his desire to play CL); perhaps he speaks only for himself of course

It's so weird how this season is mirroring last year. We lost a pivotal midfielder around this time last year (Wanyama) and struggled, probably not directly down to that, but it didn't help. We've now lost a pivotal midfielder again, for who knows how long. Morgan is absolutely vital to our tactical set-up, he's going to be a colossal miss, as good a pro Cork is, he's no where near Morgan.

Forster

Clyne -- Fonte -- Alderweireld -- Bertrand

Cork -- Wanyama -- Davis

Long -------- Pelle --------- Tadic

drop Mane, get Tadic out on the left.

Agree with this - he's been nowhere near as effective on the right as he was when played on the left earlier in season.

It's only a week since Long-Pelle-Tadic started together and we all agreed that didn't work. Why want to try it again? Because we don't have anyone else, I guess.

I'd like to in part put that down to Villa's defensive set-up, as well as having just come back from the international break.

It MAY be more worthwhile against an attacking side. I do think Mane has had a tough couple of games and might be needing a bit of a rest.

Mind you he's a professional footballer so he should be able to do the job.

Good good; I'll cancel my ticket straight away then.

this was their team when we played them in the cup (we appear to be off the pace a little)

13 Ospina

39 Bellerin (Akpom - 86' )

21 Chambers

42 Hayden

34 Coquelin

07 Rosicky Booked

24 Abou Diaby (Cazorla - 67' )

10 Wilshere Booked

28 Campbell (Oxlade-Chamberlain - 71' )

17 Sánchez

09 Podolski

the team that will play tomorrow night will be a lot better than that. Plus most of the top teams appear to be hitting some form

I do fancy us beating man united though

Think we will tear straight into them. When we get the first goal, their crowd will start to turn on them again. 2-0 us.

Maybe

Good scenario, hope it happens that way then and that whomsoever gets presented with a chance as a result of us tearing into them from the off actually converts it. If Pelle had sunk that sitter on Sunday as you'd expect him to the game would have been different, mind you so would it have if the ref had got it right when José hacked down Aguero at the other end, red card and a penalty.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Horses for courses. Mane isn't in good form but after Montero tore Chambers apart with pace, I'd play Mane and tell him to just keep running at him.

Problem is, he never seems like he wants to run at the right back, always seems to want to run inside and ends up just getting crowded out.

Good scenario, hope it happens that way then and that whomsoever gets presented with a chance as a result of us tearing into them from the off actually converts it. If Pelle had sunk that sitter on Sunday as you'd expect him to the game would have been different, mind you so would it have if the ref had got it right when José hacked down Aguero at the other end, red card and a penalty.

Would never have been a red would it, he was going away from goal with 2 players between him and the goal...

Tackle was dangerous, red card, seen it loads of times as C+ have re-run the match 3 times now, red card, penalty.

I think you need your eyes tested... the ref saw a dive and you see Red.. Fonte slid in and Aquerro went over his lower leg.. definite Pen but a yellow all day.

So the rule is a 3 year old Daily Mail article with quotes from Alex Ferguson?

ok I give up have it your own way, if it wasn't a balancing factor then Pellé's miss is all the more uncondonable.

For those who don't remember the incident well, about a minute in, that's a 2 footed lunge and a red card anywhere else in the world but in the UK it's a yellow for diving, just shows the standard of reffing really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2ZAJRX7sNQ

ok I give up have it your own way, if it wasn't a balancing factor then Pellé's miss is all the more uncondonable.

For those who don't remember the incident well, about a minute in, that's a 2 footed lunge and a red card anywhere else in the world but in the UK it's a yellow for diving, just shows the standard of reffing really.

I know what you're talking about WC but I think that the automatic red only applies if there is a risk of the feet of the tackling player coming into contact with the tackled player. In this instance fonte had his leg over the ball and his feet beyond aguero's run so there wasn't really any danger. Yellow for me but I have seen reds given for less.

It's so weird how this season is mirroring last year. We lost a pivotal midfielder around this time last year (Wanyama) and struggled, probably not directly down to that, but it didn't help. We've now lost a pivotal midfielder again, for who knows how long. Morgan is absolutely vital to our tactical set-up, he's going to be a colossal miss, as good a pro Cork is, he's no where near Morgan.

I don't think Victor being injured, Jack and Victors stats last year were very close (victor had more tackles Jack a better pass completion IIRC), was as much of an issue as Boruc getting injured ending up with our 3rd choice keeper was a disaster. TBH we can put a very good first eleven, and we could do the same last season, but after that there isn't much quality much the same as last season.

Early season with a fresh 1st eleven, no injuries and a reasonably easy fixture list we look good and pick up points as come December it all starts to fall apart as players get tired, injuries and suspensions start to kick in.

Been a standing order to refs for a couple of years now in the hope of instituting harmony, same crime, same punishment, 2 feet forward, no matter what, you're off.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2092434/Two-footed-challenges-red-cards.html

There's nothing in the Laws about it specifically but the original directive was more about tackles like this:

chelsea_3-1_mancs_rafael.jpg

chelsea_3-1_mancs_rafael.jpg

I was at Arsenal v Dortmund last week and Arsenal didn't have to play well to beat a really really poor Dortmund. Even though Dortmund were so poor and looked like they didn't want to be there they easily opened up Arsenal on a few occasions. We can win or at least get a draw but Mane, Tadic and Pelle need to get out of their current slump. I think we will surprise a few people, Arsenal are no Man City and are weak in midfield and at the back.

Right I just watch the highlights for the first time. It was a two footed challenge, the plant foot slides in way after the tackling foot has swept around. The two footed tackles of the directive and when the body has no contact with the ground and you are deemed to be not in control. This one is miles away from that.

The other two messageboard myths that Forster cocked up on the 1 to 1 and Pelle missed a sitter, are both wrong as well.

I'm more brighter after watching it again, their counter attacking play is awesom and the first came from our errors; Clyne should have collected the pass that led to the counter attack that their goal came from. Davis got cheaply mugged and failed to track Lampard. Their third goal was just a great counter attack.

Thats meant to say 'It wasn't a two footed challenge'.

I can't edit.

Quite right, I've just looked at it again myself. Jose plants his left foot and then his right leg swings round and catches Aguero on the ankle. Aguero has seen it coming and is already putting on his agonised expression before the contact is made. The tell-tale sign that he is making the most of it is that he makes no attempt to get over the incoming challenge but actually swallow-dives over the incoming leg and throws both his arms back. Having said that it was a 'trip or attempt to trip' and should have been a penalty but Aguero's theatrics were enough to persuade the ref otherwise.