United vs Saints Build Up Thread

nta786

Had look at utd fans take on the game at red café http://www.redcafe.net/matches/manchester-united-vs-southampton.26/discussion?page=5

interesting take on our game against arsenal didn't see quite like that myself

Pretty even game with slightly better chances for Le Arse, but Saints were quite clinical and Szczesny and Arsenal's defence comical. Saints obviously missed Schneiderlin in that game though. Every time Arsenal moved the ball fast Saints had problems though, especially the pace of Sanchez was quite handy for the Gunners. They missed a couple of sitters, so if we move the ball clever and quickly we should be able to cut through them.

Looks like their defence (which was pretty ropey anyway) is pretty injury ravaged so I think we should be able to get at them I'm feeling quite confident (as long as JWP isn't playing RB again) we can get a result. I'd quite like to do a bit of daylight robbery to them like they did to us at SMS

Right, massive game at Old Trafford, one I'd really want to win.

Win, and it's great, and lose, well, possibly drop out of top 4, depending on Spurs result, but not the end of the world.

Team picks itself tbh:

Forster

Clyne Fonte Alderweireld Bertrand

Morgan Wanyama Davis

Long Pelle Tadic

Unless we play 352:

Forster

Fonte Alderweireld Gardos

Clyne Bertrand (as wing backs)

Morgan Wanyama Davis

Tadic

Long Pelle

Hoping to see Elia play a part at one point, Koeman knows more than me though, he may even start!

Away tickets still up for sale I believe, and game is on a Sunday 4pm kickoff, live on Sky Sports.

Prediction: I'm feeling optimistic that we nick it :) 1-0, with Pelle hopefully :)

Given Man U's weaknesses at the back and strength going forward I can't see us NOT playing with 2 wide men if they're going to play 3-5-2, it's the de facto tactical trump card to sit wingers in behind their wing backs and pull their CBs wide. We'd be 4-2-3-1 then (much as I'd like to field 12 as above...). A side with a good defence and decent attack will usually beat a side with a poor defence and great attack, though much could depend on whether Herrera and Carrick play as they give them some semblance of solidity.

That will be especially effective if one of them is Elia on his debut, which is think is a possibility ahead of Long. They won't have a clue what to expect. We need to attack them, as their defence is toilet and ours isn't. Our defence is sound as long as it's Forster; Clyne, Fonte, Alderweireld, Bertrand plus Schneiderlin, Wanyama shielding.

Edited by The9

Given Man U's weaknesses at the back and strength going forward I can't see us NOT playing with 2 wide men if they're going to play 3-5-2, it's the de facto tactical trump card to sit wingers in behind their wing backs and pull their CBs wide. We'd be 4-2-3-1 then (much as I'd like to field 12 as above...). A side with a good defence and decent attack will usually beat a side with a poor defence and great attack, though much could depend on whether Herrera and Carrick play as they give them some semblance of solidity.

That will be especially effective if one of them is Elia on his debut, which is think is a possibility ahead of Long. They won't have a clue what to expect. We need to attack them, as their defence is toilet and ours isn't. Our defence is sound as long as it's Forster; Clyne, Fonte, Alderweireld, Bertrand plus Schneiderlin, Wanyama shielding.

Van Gaal must know a fair bit about Elia though, even if their defence hasn't playd against him before.

It's weird, Man Utd's defence looks poor on paper and their attack looks great, but they haven't scored or conceded the huge amounts you might expect as a result.

Van Gaal must know a fair bit about Elia though, even if their defence hasn't playd against him before.

It's weird, Man Utd's defence looks poor on paper and their attack looks great, but they haven't scored or conceded the huge amounts you might expect as a result.

Fair point on Elia, but it's not just the player, it's how he'd fit our system and how that would interact with their system (especially difficult to predict when they're getting injury upon injury at the back).

There's an element of Carrick protecting their awful back line there - they've won 70% of matches with him in the side this season (and drawn the other 30%). He didn't play until November and they won the first 7 matches he played having not won the 3 before - but yeah, up until then, 4-0 defeat to MK Dons, beating QPR 4-0, and leaking 5 at Leicester aside, most of their matches were 2 or under goals from each team.

Not really sure why that's happened, maybe their game management, enough players to control tempo and keep the score down when they had no right to be in touch, but without being able to impose themselves for long enough to make chances? Would probably have to look at specific stats like possession and chances created and I don't have any access to those.

Fair point on Elia, but it's not just the player, it's how he'd fit our system and how that would interact with their system (especially difficult to predict when they're getting injury upon injury at the back).

There's an element of Carrick protecting their awful back line there - they've won 70% of matches with him in the side this season (and drawn the other 30%). He didn't play until November and they won the first 7 matches he played having not won the 3 before - but yeah, up until then, 4-0 defeat to MK Dons, beating QPR 4-0, and leaking 5 at Leicester aside, most of their matches were 2 or under goals from each team.

Not really sure why that's happened, maybe their game management, enough players to control tempo and keep the score down when they had no right to be in touch, but without being able to impose themselves for long enough to make chances? Would probably have to look at specific stats like possession and chances created and I don't have any access to those.

I guess De Gea has made a significant difference. But considering their forward line of Van Persie, Falcao, Di Maria, Mata, Rooney etc, they really haven't scored that many (hoping I've not jinxed Sunday).

I guess De Gea has made a significant difference. But considering their forward line of Van Persie, Falcao, Di Maria, Mata, Rooney etc, they really haven't scored that many (hoping I've not jinxed Sunday).

De Gea's been playing all season, 50% win percentage, would have to look at his save percentages, shots faced, all that stuff. But he's certainly had a couple of top-drawer high-profile games... as well as Leicester.

I'm hoping you haven't jinxed it either, I've actually bet on us to win for the first time in years, 4/1 is value alright.

Edited by The9

Team picks itself IMO:

------------------Forster------------------

Clyne-----Fonte------Toby-----Bertrand

-----------Morgan-----Wanayama------

-----------------------Davis---------------------

Tadic---------------------------------Elia

------------------Pelle------------------

Barring injuries we don't know about I would be suprised to see much else.

Apologies if this is in the wrong thread... I've won a pair of tickets for the Newcastle away match next saturday and i can't get down there, therefore I'm giving them away. The only negative is that they are allocated in the home end and can't be changed (i didn't read the terms before entering).

If anyone wants them, they're welcome but will have to pick them up from west totton. I should get them around wednesday i'd imagine.

text me on 07469891984, first come first serve.

Cheers.

Apologies if this is in the wrong thread... I've won a pair of tickets for the Newcastle away match next saturday and i can't get down there, therefore I'm giving them away. The only negative is that they are allocated in the home end and can't be changed (i didn't read the terms before entering).

If anyone wants them, they're welcome but will have to pick them up from west totton. I should get them around wednesday i'd imagine.

text me on 07469891984, first come first serve.

Cheers.

Other than as set out in the terms and conditions of entry and below, you may not transfer the Prize to anybody. The unauthorised sale or disposal of tickets is a criminal offence under section 166 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994, as amended by the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006.

Other than as set out in the terms and conditions of entry and below, you may not transfer the Prize to anybody. The unauthorised sale or disposal of tickets is a criminal offence under section 166 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994, as amended by the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006.

did you make up barclays rules for their tickets then? No?

'The Prize may be passed on to friends or relatives but you will still be held responsible to the fullest extent permitted by law for any actions involving the use of the tickets by the transferee. Tickets cannot be sold or taken as cash.'

Not sure why trying to be nice to people gets this reaction.. ah well.

I am continually torn on JWP's place on this team. I like him, no question about that.

He is the best we got, by far, for set pieces. 2nd best isn't even close. So, you want him out there.

but on the other hand, with our current roster, he doesn't quite have the quality to be a no-brainer first team starter; no matter who we play or what formation we use.

Maybe with time or roster attrition, but right now it is a puzzler.

I am continually torn on JWP's place on this team. I like him, no question about that.

He is the best we got, by far, for set pieces. 2nd best isn't even close. So, you want him out there.

but on the other hand, with our current roster, he doesn't quite have the quality to be a no-brainer first team starter; no matter who we play or what formation we use.

Maybe with time or roster attrition, but right now it is a puzzler.

Whats a 'roster attrition'? :spaz:

NBC knocked up a short promo video on their Facebook page:

Nothing that amazing about that but normally I'd expect to see the comments dominated by Man Utd fans - not this time - there's just as many Saints' fans on there. I guess it's been linked/shared elsewhere? Still looks good seeing all the 'come on you Saints' on it though.

Feeling good about this one. 3-1 to Saints.

Shame Utd look to have a few players back for this one, but they aren't all that.

If Di Maria, Rooney etc are on their game then there isnt a lot you can do about it but hopefully we have Clyne back and our best currently available team out and we will definitely give their backline some problems.

I'm heading up to Manchester this afternoon for 2 days/ nights on the lash before the game. Looking forward to it, as SM says above I suspect we'll play well, get a goal, miss at least 2 good chances and regret it when Rooney nicks a last minute winner.

This will be my 4th trip to OT, definitely the most confident I've ever been going up there (despite my natural SFC pessimism above), really feel our side is a match for anyone in this league home or away. United won't be looking forward to playing us and I hope RK has our lot fired up for this, massive opportunity to make a statement that we're legitimate contenders for 4th place. If we win (given United's excellent recent league form) everything is wide open! United always seem to find a way at OT though.

Anyway, how many tickets have we sold? £46 on a Sunday afternoon for a match on Sky isn't ideal, but I'd hope for 3,000 TBH. To anyone staying overnight, have a top time, Manchester one of my favourite Cities (not just in the UK), great history, bars, food, music etc with a genuine identity. Sh** weather though, no chance I could live up there :-).

Up the Saints!

How about a good old chant of Who the **** are Man United for this one. Loud enough I can here it on the television!

Because it's basically a United song, they've reclaimed it. United hear/ heard it everywhere they go/ went and absolutely love ramming it down the throats of those stupid enough to sing it when they inevitably score a jammy 89th minute winner.

If we're 3-0 in injury time we might give it a blast though ;-)

I'm heading up to Manchester this afternoon for 2 days/ nights on the lash before the game. Looking forward to it, as SM says above I suspect we'll play well, get a goal, miss at least 2 good chances and regret it when Rooney nicks a last minute winner.

This will be my 4th trip to OT, definitely the most confident I've ever been going up there (despite my natural SFC pessimism above), really feel our side is a match for anyone in this league home or away. United won't be looking forward to playing us and I hope RK has our lot fired up for this, massive opportunity to make a statement that we're legitimate contenders for 4th place. If we win (given United's excellent recent league form) everything is wide open! United always seem to find a way at OT though.

Anyway, how many tickets have we sold? £46 on a Sunday afternoon for a match on Sky isn't ideal, but I'd hope for 3,000 TBH. To anyone staying overnight, have a top time, Manchester one of my favourite Cities (not just in the UK), great history, bars, food, music etc with a genuine identity. Sh** weather though, no chance I could live up there :-).

Up the Saints!

I don't reckon we'll have more than 1k up there. Understandable all things considered.

I obviously want us to win every game, but winning away at Old Trafford to go above them and go third would be pretty sweet.

Interesting to see the contrast between the fans forums, some of you guys are so pessimistic in your selections that you have chosen extra players, while over on the united forums they're so confident they're picking only 10 to start!

hasman0007utd:

I think we have to win... We will then be 4 points ahead of 4th but if we lose, we will be 4th! DDG, Shaw, Smalling, Jones, Carrick, Herrera, Di Maria, Rooney, Robin, Falcao 4-4-2 diamond Bench: Valdes, Mcnair, Blind, Fellaini (think he should be back), Januzaj, Mata, Wilson

I'm looking forward to this one, a win would be excellent but I think I'd take a draw provided we go and beat Newcastle. I'd go with:

Forster

Clyne Toby Fonte Bertrand

Schneiderlin Wanyama Davis

JWP Pelle Elia

For me JWP is in better form than Tadic at the moment as shown by his assist stats, plus he's due a goal surely? Missing Mane is a shame (wouldn't have said that three weeks ago) so I think Elia has to start. Bench also looks a little stronger with Long and Tadic to come on.

I'm looking forward to this one, a win would be excellent but I think I'd take a draw provided we go and beat Newcastle. I'd go with:

Forster

Clyne Toby Fonte Bertrand

Schneiderlin Wanyama Davis

JWP Pelle Elia

For me JWP is in better form than Tadic at the moment as shown by his assist stats, plus he's due a goal surely? Missing Mane is a shame (wouldn't have said that three weeks ago) so I think Elia has to start. Bench also looks a little stronger with Long and Tadic to come on.

The Tadic v JWP question is an interesting one, can see arguments for both. Tadic is still a better overall player in my eyes, but we're utterly useless at set pieces without JWP.

2pm...

[video=youtube_share;o9cXMN8KSJs]

Bets on the first journo question? I'll go for: "So, Ronald, about being linked to the Barcelona job...."

Or... Aren't Man Utd a wonderfully attacking team! Don't you agree?

Or... So your history with Van Gaal...

Or... Morgan Schneiderlin moving to Arsenal...

It wouldn't surprise me if they asked for his opinions on the French attacks.