United vs Saints Build Up Thread

nta786

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11700/9637957/mersons-predictions-man-city-and-chelsea-to-deliver-as-their-tussle-for-the-title-continues-plus-a-win-for-arsenal?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The highest compliment I can pay Southampton is that I don’t think there is anything between these two teams, I really don’t. The Saints gave them the absolute run around when they last played and lost 2-1.

That is a major compliment to them. The fact they can go to Old Trafford and it is heads or tails who wins shows how far they have come in my opinion.

They have been absolutely outstanding; they could have beaten Arsenal by five or six the other day. United would have had no complaints if they lost to Stoke and at Yeovil in the FA Cup they weren’t great either.

They have been falling over the line pretty much every week.

PAUL PREDICTS: 1-1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30662510

These two sides had a very strange game at St Mary's in December, when Manchester United pinched a victory.

This should be another good game but I am backing United to win again, because at home they always look likely to create lots of really good chances.

With five straight wins, United's results at Old Trafford have been really good of late, but it is still not a fortress - in their 10 home games this season, only Hull and Newcastle have failed to cause them problems.

Southampton will have their own opportunities too, and the key for them will be how brave they are when they go forward.

It will be close, but I think Louis van Gaal's side will edge it.

Lawro's prediction: 2-1

Koeman: "Maybe we will bring in another player in January"

On Mane: "He'll probably be assessed by the Senegal medical team next week. We still think it's a 4 - 6 weeks injury but it may be sooner"

On Clyne: "He may be ready to start the game. If Clynie says he is OK he will start"

He said something about Cork but didn't catch what it was.

Edited by trousers

On Bertrand and Alderweireld contracts: "We have discussed this with them and it is ultimately up to them. They might have ambitions to be at a bigger club (or words to that effect) but we would obviously like them both to stay and sign contracts here"

Edited by trousers

Bertrand has always indicated he would be happy to stay here.

But that doesn't mean he might not have the opportunity to better himself based on his performances this season. Toby would be mad to stay - I think we all secretly know that.

Morgan will be off too in all likelihood so that'll be three first team spots we need to fill this summer - perhaps Morgan replaced by Cork leaving the defence needing major investment, moreso if Clyne doesn't sign a new deal.

But that doesn't mean he might not have the opportunity to better himself based on his performances this season. Toby would be mad to stay - I think we all secretly know that.

Morgan will be off too in all likelihood so that'll be three first team spots we need to fill this summer - perhaps Morgan replaced by Cork leaving the defence needing major investment, moreso if Clyne doesn't sign a new deal.

Of the current squad I would be pretty suprised if Schneiderlin, Clyne or Toby were still here next season. We would be mad to allow more than those to leave really.

On Bertrand and Alderweireld contracts: "We have discussed this with them and it is ultimately up to them. They might have ambitions to be at a bigger club (or words to that effect) but we would obviously like them both to stay and sign contracts here"
I hope it was a veiled "words to that effect". I understand the realities, but I don't like hearing it verbally expressed by the club. It just reinforces the idea that we are not worthy of world class players.

If we can break top 6 granted Toby and Morgan can probably walk into most teams,but would Clyne and Bertrand get into a top 4 team? Bertrand was absolute pony for Villa last season because of the way they were set up,I am not saying they are not good players as we have seen this season they have been consistently good,but the way we play is suited to there strengths,we are a club on the up and if we can keep players here and add decent players maybe in a season or two we can have a crack at CL football.

If we can break top 6 granted Toby and Morgan can probably walk into most teams,but would Clyne and Bertrand get into a top 4 team? Bertrand was absolute pony for Villa last season because of the way they were set up,I am not saying they are not good players as we have seen this season they have been consistently good,but the way we play is suited to there strengths,we are a club on the up and if we can keep players here and add decent players maybe in a season or two we can have a crack at CL football.

Clyne would get into pretty much any other PL team I think. Perhaps not City but Zabaleta hasnt been as good this season.

Would walk into Liverpool, Man Utd and Arsenal team thats for certain.

Bertrand has been at Chelsea and not played so he is probably more likely to keep.

According to most Man U fans they seem to think Rafael is better than clyne :lol:
Plenty do seem to rate Clyne though. It wouldn't be surprising if they put in a serious bid for him.

In other news, sounds like Shaw is going to be fit for them, be interesting seeing him up against Clyne.

Manchester United @ManUtd

Louis van Gaal tells #MUTV that Luke Shaw is available to face Southampton but Rafael may not be risked. #mufc

Van Gaal adds that Daley Blind has trained this week & Marcos Rojo will do so tomorrow. Ashley Young is #mufc's only injured player.

https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/1764EF57661165366934116929536_31b4557fc93.1.4.8815093566387107642.mp4

I'd rather Shaw wasn't playing. He's still a very good left back, especially compared to their other choices.

Not much end product attacking wise though what was 0 goals and 1 assist last season? defensively he was good for us but I think his performances for utd have been a bit hit and miss so far. I still think Clyne is the better full back because he has goals and assists in him as well as being rock solid defensivley

JWP just isnt a threat from open play going forward, certainly not as part of a front three. It would just enable Shaw to get forward more and more, you have to have a threat in these type of games otherwise they just pin you in.

Agree. I still cannot see a lot to JWP's game besides dead ball delivery, which is excellent.

Not much end product attacking wise though what was 0 goals and 1 assist last season? defensively he was good for us but I think his performances for utd have been a bit hit and miss so far. I still think Clyne is the better full back because he has goals and assists in him as well as being rock solid defensivley

I'm assuming Clyne is faster too...

Still have not forgiven them for that FA Cup game when Shipperley scored a great header, which was disallowed for a push on one R Keane, who did not even appeal. Ended up 4 rows down in the celebration. ****ers

2-1 Saints. Please

I was there. It was the first game with a new tier of their stadium.

"The more you try and weaken them, the stronger they come back. If we bought 5 of their players, they'd win the league next year and we'd get relegated. Just ask Brenton. " :)

Was that taken from their forum? Great quote if so. Having a quick read, I can't believe how many of our first team they consider worthy of being a 'back up' for one of their current players...really??!

Day of reckoning, lose this and that's pretty much it for the season. Hard place to get any sort of result and its bloody cold up there right now to boot; we don't seem to do cold weather. On TV as well, oh dear! Usually watch these TV games in our local hostelry and have never seen us win. Best to stay away. 2-0 sadly.

Day of reckoning, lose this and that's pretty much it for the season. Hard place to get any sort of result and its bloody cold up there right now to boot; we don't seem to do cold weather. On TV as well, oh dear! Usually watch these TV games in our local hostelry and have never seen us win. Best to stay away. 2-0 sadly.

Oh Charlie. You make me feel so depressed! This is just one game and only worth three points. You don't lose a season based on three points. Plus we've already proven we can go through a bad patch but are strong enough to come back and beat Everton, draw with Chelsea, and then thrash Arsenal! Have more faith.

Though have got to admit the weather puts me in a bad mood too...

Jesus.

:mcinnes:

Lighten up Charlie. If we do lose, which admittedly is a statistical likelihood, is it really "pretty much it for the season"?

Its currently (at 11pm in the evening, 13C in Manchester), it is warmer than it was in the summer. It might get a bit colder by Sunday, but its hardly cold.