Schneiderlin Speculation

Killers Knee

What if no club meets our valuation? I have no doubt he wants to leave but someone has to cough up the cash first. Arsenal don't look interested (seem to be looking for cheap options), no mention of Chelsea or Citeh being interested which only leaves Man U (if Morgan goes to a PL club in the CL which is his stated goal) and according to the press he is only a back up option if they don't get their preferred targets. Basically Morgan doesn't look that in demand and will coast a premium to boot. Won't be at all surprised if he is not here next season but I'm not convinced that many clubs (that fits his criteria) are that interested in him.

I was only saying to my Chelsea fan brother in law that if chelsea sign Morgan it would be game over, him and Matic in front of the best defence in the league would be a disaster for the rest of the league imo.

And that's why I differ from doddisalegends view. He will be in demand, from all four top English clubs and I suspect all four have chatted with his agent to see how the land lies. Where I agree with dod is whether they will meet our fee which should and could be huge.

What if no club meets our valuation? I have no doubt he wants to leave but someone has to cough up the cash first. Arsenal don't look interested (seem to be looking for cheap options), no mention of Chelsea or Citeh being interested which only leaves Man U (if Morgan goes to a PL club in the CL which is his stated goal) and according to the press he is only a back up option if they don't get their preferred targets. Basically Morgan doesn't look that in demand and will coast a premium to boot. Won't be at all surprised if he is not here next season but I'm not convinced that many clubs (that fits his criteria) are that interested in him.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if he was to end up at Juventus, if they won the Champions League.

Leave the forum please you're a nightmare. Wishing our players a good move. Clearly a troll.

A troll for hoping a player who has given years of great service to Saints, will earn us 25 times what we paid for him and is CLEARLY leaving this summer, gets a good move to a top Champions League side?

Come on. Grow up. Would be nice when he next plays at SMS to give him a decent reception rather than have the whole thing turn into a Lovren/Lallana episode.

If you think that is worthy of asking someone to leave a public forum then fair play to you.

Why do you wish all our best players all the best when they push to leave? Where is your ambition? I want him to stay and help us be top 4. It might not be realistic but that is my hope and unless you try and win the competition, I can't see much point just being in it to finish mid table at best. You on the other hand seem to accept that we have reached as far as we have gone and are OK with all our best players leaving.

Why do you wish all our best players all the best when they push to leave? Where is your ambition? I want him to stay and help us be top 4. It might not be realistic but that is my hope and unless you try and win the competition, I can't see much point just being in it to finish mid table at best. You on the other hand seem to accept that we have reached as far as we have gone and are OK with all our best players leaving.

Its not all our best players it is one. I wouldn't wish Clyne all the best if he leaves, nor Wanyama.

I am ambitious and think Saints can still grow, but it takes time. Right now, as we are, we cannot match what other clubs can offer Schneiderlin, both on the pitch and financially. Unless we spent massive this summer have a very, very slim chance of top 4 as would need to finish ahead of either Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal or Man Utd and all have better players than us, much bigger wage bills and much deeper squads. That is why no teams of our size ever finish above these teams in this era.

He stayed last summer and was excellent again this year, but no point holding him back and he has obviously decided he wants to leave - he is Champions League quality and wants to nail his place in the France team ahead of a home tournament next summer. Who can blame him for that?

If he stays then great, it would be amazing for Saints. But he is almost certain to leave, and most fans I think have come to terms with that, and if he moves to a bigger and better team than Saints I don't think many would begrudge him success. He has done a lot for Saints and displayed a good attitude since the events last summer.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Agree mate it's bizarre. Basically looks like he's pushing then out the door.

I can only imagine he's grown up in an era where he's been indoctrinated by Sky and the press into believing that the top 4 have a god given right to be at the top and that all players in other teams are there just to audition for one of these big clubs.

I can only imagine he's grown up in an era where he's been indoctrinated by Sky and the press into believing that the top 4 have a god given right to be at the top and that all players in other teams are there just to audition for one of these big clubs.

This.

Tbf that is essentially what happens.

Agree mate it's bizarre. Basically looks like he's pushing then out the door.

Absolute rubbish - he is already out the door. I'm just saying good luck to the guy, hope he goes on to be a world class player and win titles - that will justify the decision he has made to leave.

Look at it from his point of view, which is undoubtedly what he is doing himself. Even Koeman said you cannot blame a player for wanting to play at the highest level they can, and of all our current squad he has probably done the most for Saints. He has earned the right to pursue what we cannot offer him IMO and Saints will be well compensated.

Be sad he is going to leave, but surely his reasoning cannot be questioned and I think the majority of fans will wish him well if its handled in a respectful way.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Its not all our best players it is one. I wouldn't wish Clyne all the best if he leaves, nor Wanyama.

I am ambitious and think Saints can still grow, but it takes time. Right now, as we are, we cannot match what other clubs can offer Schneiderlin, both on the pitch and financially. Unless we spent massive this summer have a very, very slim chance of top 4 as would need to finish ahead of either Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal or Man Utd and all have better players than us, much bigger wage bills and much deeper squads. That is why no teams of our size ever finish above these teams in this era.

He stayed last summer and was excellent again this year, but no point holding him back and he has obviously decided he wants to leave - he is Champions League quality and wants to nail his place in the France team ahead of a home tournament next summer. Who can blame him for that?

If he stays then great, it would be amazing for Saints. But he is almost certain to leave, and most fans I think have come to terms with that, and if he moves to a bigger and better team than Saints I don't think many would begrudge him success. He has done a lot for Saints and displayed a good attitude since the events last summer.

Good attitude my arse he was pushed into a corner by the club he either played well or was dropped. It didn't stop him bleating to the French press about the CL all bloody season long. I think we should stop idolizing him for basically doing what he was contracted to do .........what else was he going to do in the circumstnces?

I wish Schneiderlin well if he leaves too, am I a troll? He's always worked hard for the team since he got here and even when he was forced to stay, just got his head down and put in one of his best ever seasons, when a lot of players would've sulked.

Absolute rubbish - he is already out the door. I'm just saying good luck to the guy, hope he goes on to be a world class player and win titles - that will justify the decision he has made to leave.

You know what, I want him to win titles with Saints, and I really couldn't give two hoots about other clubs and their playing staff.

Look at it from his point of view, which is undoubtedly what he is doing himself. Even Koeman said you cannot blame a player for wanting to play at the highest level they can, and of all our current squad he has probably done the most for Saints. He has earned the right to pursue what we cannot offer him IMO and Saints will be well compensated.

I look at it from the point of view of the club. And what nonsense is that he has done most for Saints. You make it sound like it is a one way thing. What have Saints done for him? Do you consider that? But yes, of course if we sell him we will be well compensated and put the money to (hopefully) good use, but that is something different.

Be sad he is going to leave, but surely his reasoning cannot be questioned and I think the majority of fans will wish him well if its handled in a respectful way.

No his reasoning are perfectly clear. He doesn't want or doesn't think that Southampton can be in the Champions League nor pay him an even more obscene wage than he already gets, nor offer the opportunities that he can get ready made at a bigger club. I do sometimes question the ambitions of players and wonder whether it is misplaced (ok - this is a bit tongue in cheek). Tell me - what is more ambitious - to get into the CL with Southampton or with Arsenal/Man Utd? Now if you had loyalty (and I hate to use that word, as football is a job and very few are prepared to play all their career with a club like us) to Southampton then the former and I am well aware that this is written with my Saints tinted glasses on (blame MLT for showing us that it can happen!!). But if you were born in Alsace, why would you have any loyalty towards Southampton?

What era have you "grown up in" and how is it going to stop players leaving for bigger clubs when they roll up with big money? Feel free to blather on about Kevin Keegan or something but it doesn't change reality.

Fair play there is some proper, proper garbage on this thread.

Morgan has earned his shot at a big move and I will be interested to see how he does. As long as it is handled properly by all parties (I think it will be) then he'll have my best wishes and thanks.

He obviously doesn't realise that every time another club wins a trophy or does well in CL, that they get even more money and make it even harder for us to compete against them. Me, I want every English club to lose every European game they play in. If we want to compete with them (some think we never will be able to do so, which might well be true) then it is common sense that they do not gain an EVEN larger financial advantage over us. Now if Morgan went to Juve, I would be "happier" for him to win trophies if it meant an English team didn't (with of course the exception of Saints). But the only English team I want him to win trophies with is Southampton.

As Millbrook said, it's the Sky generation who like watching the big English teams succeed in Europe and dominate the domestic league. But what they seemingly don't realise is that it is to the detriment of the team that they supposedly support.

He obviously doesn't realise that every time another club wins a trophy or does well in CL, that they get even more money and make it even harder for us to compete against them. Me, I want every English club to lose every European game they play in. If we want to compete with them (some think we never will be able to do so, which might well be true) then it is common sense that they do not gain an EVEN larger financial advantage over us. Now if Morgan went to Juve, I would be "happier" for him to win trophies if it meant an English team didn't (with of course the exception of Saints). But the only English team I want him to win trophies with is Southampton.

As Millbrook said, it's the Sky generation who like watching the big English teams succeed in Europe and dominate the domestic league. But what they seemingly don't realise is that it is to the detriment of the team that they supposedly support.

This is just utter nonsense.

Football has been like that for as long as I can remember. With a very few exceptions like MLT and Steve Bull, players want to play for the top/big teams, win trophies and make money. Nothing wrong with that and to pretend otherwise is just plain f**king stupid.

Well that is foolish because England would quickly lose a champions league spot and if they kept losing eventually England would only qualify one or two clubs for the champions league. Sorry, but if you want Southampton to have any shot at the champions league or regular European competition, English clubs need to do well in Europe--certainly better than they did last year. I just blogged about this.

http://redsloscf.blogspot.com/2015/06/englands-coefficient-problems.html

The money they get from that is minuscule though, compared to 1) their global reach and fan base and 2) their global sponsorship's.

Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, City, even Liverpool have huge fan bases around the world - much larger than we will ever have. The reality is that the clubs with the bigger support base generally are the teams to catch. For us, it's about finding alternative ways - buying younger players, developing them, selling them for a huge profit and starting again etc. We'll never have the global catch that any of these teams have, so that's why anyone leaving us for a Top 4 club is pretty irrelevant really. They will always be able to afford the bigger financial packages, offer the biggest competitions. Maybe, just maybe, there will be a completely freak season which lets us in - but that's probably all we can hope for. In terms of us ever being a sustained top 4 team, we will need to be bankrolled quite significantly.

It's pure fantasy to believe that teams failing in European competition will give us a better chance, because in reality it couldn't be further from the truth. We'd actually lose a place, thus meaning we'd need to finish Top 2/Top 3.

The money they get from that is minuscule though, compared to 1) their global reach and fan base and 2) their global sponsorship's.

Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, City, even Liverpool have huge fan bases around the world - much larger than we will ever have. The reality is that the clubs with the bigger support base generally are the teams to catch. For us, it's about finding alternative ways - buying younger players, developing them, selling them for a huge profit and starting again etc. We'll never have the global catch that any of these teams have, so that's why anyone leaving us for a Top 4 club is pretty irrelevant really. They will always be able to afford the bigger financial packages, offer the biggest competitions. Maybe, just maybe, there will be a completely freak season which lets us in - but that's probably all we can hope for. In terms of us ever being a sustained top 4 team, we will need to be bankrolled quite significantly.

It's pure fantasy to believe that teams failing in European competition will give us a better chance, because in reality it couldn't be further from the truth. We'd actually lose a place, thus meaning we'd need to finish Top 2/Top 3.

All you need is dreams & ambition. Dreams & ambition.

Sure - the winners next year will earn €100m (plus ticket money)

But as for losing a CL place - so what? Listen to everyone on here and we're never going to make it anyway, so what difference does it make?

And good organisation, management in every department, recruitment and continuity.

Hasn't done too bad so far has it?

Its done brilliantly.

But to break the top 4 you need money, more money and to be able to retain virtually all your best players by paying them the same as they can earn elsewhere.

So we will most likely always fall short like every other PL team outside the top 6 clubs.

Not sure why expecting Schniederlin to leave/wishing him well makes you a bad fan. I'm 99% sure we won't see him in a Saints shirt again and wherever he goes I hope he has success. Doesn't mean I'm not hoping he'll stay.

I'll just have a weird sense of pride that I was once there to watch him in a team that lost 2-0 at home to Rochdale!

Everton qualified for the CL. They obviously have the honours and the history to be classed as a bigger side than Saints, I won't dispute that, but in financial terms, are they much bigger than us these days? The TV money defines how rich a club is unless they have a billionaire owner throwing money at the problem. We seem to be on a similar level.

So I guess the question should be, how did Everton do it?

Everton qualified for the CL. They obviously have the honours and the history to be classed as a bigger side than Saints, I won't dispute that, but in financial terms, are they much bigger than us these days? The TV money defines how rich a club is unless they have a billionaire owner throwing money at the problem. We seem to be on a similar level.

So I guess the question should be, how did Everton do it?

Actually, they didn't. They got to a qualification play off and lost, resulting in them not qualifying for the Champions League.

Since then, about a decade ago they haven't finished in the top four.

Could we finish in the top four, once? Well, yes. Does that actually make us a "top 4/Champions League" team? No. Just like Everton. Our set up can probably keep up nicely top half for as long as we can keep it up, but we are unlikely to truly become a top 4 regular. It's a lovely aspiration for the club to have but worth remembering the countless times Les Reed has said we won't be over spending to get there.

Actually, they didn't. They got to a qualification play off and lost, resulting in them not qualifying for the Champions League.

Since then, about a decade ago they haven't finished in the top four.

Could we finish in the top four, once? Well, yes. Does that actually make us a "top 4/Champions League" team? No. Just like Everton. Our set up can probably keep up nicely top half for as long as we can keep it up, but we are unlikely to truly become a top 4 regular. It's a lovely aspiration for the club to have but worth remembering the countless times Les Reed has said we won't be over spending to get there.

yes, I realised that, and they ****ed the UEFA cup up that year too as well, but the fact remains they got into the CL places.

My point is, will gradual slow growth ever get us into the top four, or do you spot a batch of players at your club that are top notch and run with them for a few years in a genuine effort to get into those top four places, even for one season. I'm realistic. We are unlikely to make that jump and stay there unless a mega money splash the cash type takes over. But making it once, well I'd be more than pleased with that (it would be amazing) and the players we have had over the last two years might have been enough to do it. But we avoided offering the £100k a week to keep Shaw and Lallana and perhaps that window has closed. Maybe not.

Nice to chat about looking upwards for once. I dare say it won't be long before we are worrying about the other end of the table. Enjoy it whilst it lasts.

Edited by Chez

Spurs ITK fans still living in their little cloud

We are still talking to MS peeps, and he has not turned us down. Saints wanting crazy money for him which makes it difficult I am told.

Key is Saints wanting crazy money for him. I mentioned before they are doing a DL. My personal take would be him seeing us as unlikely would then only go to CL club in UK. Few weeks ago he was very keen. There is nobody that can deny that. Know we still want him, but huge financial challenge is the obstacle.

Why are people having a go at Saint Charlie for wishing Schneiderlin well if he goes [emoji38]

Because people are idiots?

Well I must be an idiot as well, as much as I would love him to stay, I realise that after all the service he has given the club, including knuckling down after last year, he deserves to go with our best wishes and £25M + in our bank account.

Leave the forum please you're a nightmare. Wishing our players a good move. Clearly a troll.

Hmmm.

I respect the benefit he has made since being here and do not begrudge him a move to a level of football we cannot currently provide. He could have caused a nightmare last summer but instead he stayed and was arguably our player of the season.

I will wish him well so long as he genuinely progresses himself with his move. He is clearly Champions League standard.

Apologies for the trolling. Xx

If he leaves for a CL club for £25M + then..............good business and good luck

If he forces a move to a nonCL side for less than £15M then..............join Adam & LOLvren in my Saints room 101!

That pretty much sums it up for me too.

We are still talking to MS peeps, and he has not turned us down. Saints wanting crazy money for him which makes it difficult I am told.

Key is Saints wanting crazy money for him. I mentioned before they are doing a DL. My personal take would be him seeing us as unlikely would then only go to CL club in UK. Few weeks ago he was very keen. There is nobody that can deny that. Know we still want him, but huge financial challenge is the obstacle.

As i said before, he is very keen to link up with MP, despite the comments about going to a CL club. The stumbling block is the price, and that is why it isn't happening.

As i said before, he is very keen to link up with MP, despite the comments about going to a CL club. The stumbling block is the price, and that is why it isn't happening.

Koeman over Pooch anyday of the week,

I don't buy it why he wants to play for him over a class manager who is a living legend in the game.

There were Spurs ITKs saying this sh ite in the last two windows. Laughable.

Well I must be an idiot as well, as much as I would love him to stay, I realise that after all the service he has given the club, including knuckling down after last year, he deserves to go with our best wishes and £25M + in our bank account.

You might want to re-read my post, you seem to have managed to take the complete opposite meaning of what I meant from it!

Wenger is deluded if he thinks that performance against a woeful Villa side means he is now in a position to challenge Chelsea for the title. Having said that, if it means no-one will pay the £25m and Morgan stays then that is an even better result for us; although I still think he will be off and probably to Man Utd. That would consolidate them in the top four positions.

Wenger is deluded if he thinks that performance against a woeful Villa side means he is now in a position to challenge Chelsea for the title. Having said that, if it means no-one will pay the £25m and Morgan stays then that is an even better result for us; although I still think he will be off and probably to Man Utd. That would consolidate them in the top four positions.

It's always the same with Arsenal and Wenger though isn't it? A strong last few weeks to a season, covering over the obvious cracks which appear during mid-season. He then ignores them again and the issues occur the next season at the same stage. It's like a loop.