Schneiderlin Speculation

Killers Knee

Think he'll excel at United tbh, £25 million and I think everyone is happy, thank f*ck it's not Spurs!

Agree, Man Utd need extra faces in Midfield. I think he'd improve most teams in the top 4 to be honest, but Man Utd seem to have the biggest opening for a player such as Morgan. I imagine they'd play him and Carrick, with Mata and Herrera in front - that's pretty tidy to be honest. Even that one addition to the midfield would improve their balance no end.

I have no problems with him going to Utd. A club with huge dollar, massive global status, back in the UCL, they will challenge next season - it's a no brainer. I can only wish him all the best, we got a lot of mileage out of him, probably some of his best years - so let's be grateful for that.

I'm not that happy. £25m seems like a good deal from their end too. It's not about his value, if you walk into a shop and something isn't for sale, you're going to have to pay more. This is a player that could actually benefit any of the top 4. There aren't many defensive midfielders of the right age and experience like that. These clubs prove £30m+ isn't so much to them every summer.

He is for sale though, we all know that.

I'm not that happy. £25m seems like a good deal from their end too. It's not about his value, if you walk into a shop and something isn't for sale, you're going to have to pay more. This is a player that could actually benefit any of the top 4. There aren't many defensive midfielders of the right age and experience like that. These clubs prove £30m+ isn't so much to them every summer.

Agree. I would want 30m for him there is still 2 years on his contract, we have no need to sell and he is one of the best in the league in his position.

But the truth is none of us really know what the transfer budget is for the summer on the basis that we don't sell anyone. Could we buy Toby, a goalkeeper, a centre forward and a creative midfielder that most fans seem to think we need to improve without selling one or two players for big money to fund it?

Those four players alone, of sufficient quality, will cost us upwards of 30 million probably as well as adding significantly to the wage bill. Can we afford to do it without selling?

But the truth is none of us really know what the transfer budget is for the summer on the basis that we don't sell anyone. Could we buy Toby, a goalkeeper, a centre forward and a creative midfielder that most fans seem to think we need to improve without selling one or two players for big money to fund it?

Those four players alone, of sufficient quality, will cost us upwards of 30 million probably as well as adding significantly to the wage bill. Can we afford to do it without selling?

Probably if we spent wisely and got some high wages of the bill (Osvaldo and Ramirez) we would still be within FFP but he clearly wants to go so selling him is 99% certain.

Probably not. I posted this on another thread but it is relevant here:

Remember that looking at profits is misleading. Income from player sales is included in profits, but the costs of buying players are amortized over the lifetime of the player's contract (everything is in pounds even though I am American):

Thus, if we sell 100 Million worth of players (assume no remaining unamortized cost for those players), buy 100 million in players, and sign them to four year contracts that yields a player trading profit of 75 million minus this year's amortization for players already with the club. Yet, there is no inherent positive cash flow to show for that 75 million. Depending on the salaries of the outgoing and the incoming players their might be a cash flow negative from the transactions.

In the year ending June 2013 Southampton had 13.2 million in player amortization plus an additional 2.1 million in impairment costs (which I assume is a hodgepodge of lost value for players not deemed good enough.) Total salary costs were 47.1 million.

In the year ending June 2014 Southampton had 20.7 million in player amortization plus an additional 6.3 million in impairment costs (which I assume is mostly the cost of Osvaldo head butting Fonte.) Total salary costs were 63 million.

Very likely all of these numbers (except maybe impairment costs) will be up again for the season that just passed and the season yet to come.

The remaining book value of our players as of June 30 2014 was 41.1 million. The value of players bought after June 30 must be added to that. Likely there will be additional impairment costs as well--in fact, if Ramirez and Osvaldo are sufficiently impaired they might be sold at a paper profit since the bulk of their cost will already be off the books. Of course, the paper profit does not change the reality of the real loss their purchase entailed.

My point: we do not necessarily have lots of money to spend unless we sell some players for big money. That will change next season with the big new television contracts but all of our competitors will have more money too.

Also there could quite possibly be a sell on clause in his contract like there was in Lallanas Lovrens and Lamberts

So we might not receive 25% of the fee.

For what it is worth FM 2015 does not indicate the presence of a sell on clause for Schneiderlin. They do try to keep track of such things. (Lallana's clause, for example, was in the data base for years.)

Probably if we spent wisely and got some high wages of the bill (Osvaldo and Ramirez) we would still be within FFP but he clearly wants to go so selling him is 99% certain.

FFP and the salary cap are not issues for us. The issue is our owner's desire to stop putting in money and the cash flow limitations that result from that. Of course, spending wisely and getting Osvaldo and Ramirez off the books will help with cash flow.

In fact the RC Strasbourg structure that sold us Morgan actually ceased to exist in 2010 or 2011. They started over in the

lower leagues and have so far made it back to the semi-pro "National"; They nearly got promoted this last season but were pipped on GD or something. I thus very much doubt if we owe them anything as they were totally wound up and everything became nulle and void. It's not like Saints where just the parent company went broke but the FC side remained active.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Are you the same estate agent who told us Martin ONeil had bought a place in Winchester?!

He's right, I heard this too from someone I work with who is friends with someone who lives down the same road as Morgan, he has definitely moved out of his house

In fact the RC Strasbourg structure that sold us Morgan actually ceased to exist in 2010 or 2011. They started over in the

lower leagues and have so far made it back to the semi-pro "National"; They nearly got promoted this last season but were pipped on GD or something. I thus very much doubt if we owe them anything as they were totally wound up and everything became nulle and void. It's not like Saints where just the parent company went broke but the FC side remained active.

No sell on clause then, good! That makes me think, Stratsbourg are in the 3rd Division so France have only 2 professional divisions whereas we have 4 with probably double the amount of professional teams yet they still produce better players than us.....:mcinnes:

With the amount of teams going for other midfield players I reckon it's 50/50 whether we sell him or keep him now.

It's awkward because it appears that he is attractive to other clubs but he is not the first name on their list. So other clubs go after the marquee players and then when the dust settles he'll either still have a suitor or interest will cool. If a club remains seriously interested we then have the challenge of only negotiating with one interested party and the deal being done late so we then also potentially miss out on our first choice targets who have moved on earlier in the window. Frustrating!

from the BBC gossip

Manchester United have confirmed their interest in Bayern Munich's Bastian Schweinsteiger - but will switch their attention to Southampton's Morgan Schneiderlin if a deal cannot be done.

Isn't Schweinsteiger an attacking MF though ? If so, I don't see that Man Utd would see Morgan as an alternative to him ? Although there may be other options for the role MS might be best at, Strootman perhaps, I doubt its Schweinsteiger.

It's awkward because it appears that he is attractive to other clubs but he is not the first name on their list. So other clubs go after the marquee players and then when the dust settles he'll either still have a suitor or interest will cool. If a club remains seriously interested we then have the challenge of only negotiating with one interested party and the deal being done late so we then also potentially miss out on our first choice targets who have moved on earlier in the window. Frustrating!

Always the way though, same with Clyne. In the case of Clyne I hope we don't miss out on Trippier and Byram whilst Clyne and LVG dally about.

For our central mf though, perhaps we should bang on and bring in Clasie, and/or the Senegalese bloke, Gueye (?), and if we're serious about Europa League etc next year we'll have a good pool to select from. (Keeping them all happy may not be so easy though).

Isn't Schweinsteiger an attacking MF though ? If so, I don't see that Man Utd would see Morgan as an alternative to him ? Although there may be other options for the role MS might be best at, Strootman perhaps, I doubt its Schweinsteiger.

Strootman may never play again apparently.

He used to be, but these days he's primarily used as a Xavi type MF, but slightly deeper.

Schweinsteiger normally plays in the holding 2 these days, and he's bloody brilliant at it. Hopefully United will sign him.

Think the problem is, Morgan isn't a big enough name to go and spend £25m on when they can get world class, with a lot bigger pedigree for a similar fee.

Just hope that if it's going to happen, it happens sooner rather than later.

from the BBC gossip

Manchester United have confirmed their interest in Bayern Munich's Bastian Schweinsteiger - but will switch their attention to Southampton's Morgan Schneiderlin if a deal cannot be done.

Star article seems somewhat flawed though, haven't Real already decided against signing Hernandez ? Perhaps no-one has told the Star that yet though, it was certainly in Marca or As about a week ago. Other than that the idea that Schweiny will ever leave Bayern goes into the realms of science fiction.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Schweinsteiger normally plays in the holding 2 these days, and he's bloody brilliant at it. Hopefully United will sign him.

Think the problem is, Morgan isn't a big enough name to go and spend £25m on when they can get world class, with a lot bigger pedigree for a similar fee.

Just hope that if it's going to happen, it happens sooner rather than later.

Schweinsteiger is 31 in a couple of months though. At the end of a three year contract he'll be both less good and and worth a fraction of what they paid for him. Morgan would likely have increased in value and ability.

Edited by buctootim

Schweinsteiger is 31 in a couple of months though. At the end of a three year contract he'll be both less good and and worth a fraction of what they paid for him. Morgan would likely have increased in value and ability.

Think you are looking at from a saints point of view. As a club we (generally) want to buy young players who will increase value so we can sell them for profit later. Not sure the big super rich clubs think the same way.