Jack Cork Signs for Swansea

Saint-Armstrong

Would be disappointed if this was true, as think he still has a lot to offer us, and I think he most likely would have signed a new contract had it been offered earlier.

That said, if he does leave, I'm sure we have plans to fill his place with a capable replacement.

When was it offered to him? What did it contain and how does it match up to what Swansea are offering?

I doubt they want to block Harrison Reed's pathway. Plus we have some other very promising central midfielders in the academy. Les Reed has mentioned on numerous occasions that the club wants to leave a path into the first team for the top academy players and Cork remaining as a squad player would in some ways block this.

except you can bet your bottom dollar if Cork goes we will buy/loan a replacement (most likely someone from the dutch league). I like Harrison Reed but so far he only seems to have been played as a last resort when RK as out of options.

Problem with Reed's progress is that this season we find ourselves in a position where there is an awful awful lot to be gained/lost. This time last season, I think that we were safe and "obviously" were going to finish 6th-12th which means that there was little to play for for a large part of the season, so youngsters could be brought through.

Absolutely outrageous decision in my book. We have our best ever chance of Champions League, we have an injury crisis and we're selling one of our better squad/cover players. It's absolutely mad and could well come back to haunt us. We need all the quality cover we can get.

Amazing to see Jack is now rated as surplus by many on here. Quite a few had him in front of wanyama before the season started. And now he's fallen behind Reed and Ward Prowse too. Still our third best midfielder imo

Yes quite.

Imagine if he had signed a new deal today. Everyone would be saying he's under rated, it's a great signing a true pro blah blah blah.

I like Jack I think some people are being pretty unfair on him. Last season when big Vic was injured Jack came in and played well (so much so he frequently end up the MOM poll winner on here). This season he has barely had a look in so I can see why he'd want to move.

Personally I think we will lose both Morgan and Victor in the summer so keeping Jack should be a priority we could end up having a completely new set of DMs next season.

Not sure about nails in the coffin. In the short-term, Cork still offers more than Reed. But we can't have our cake and eat it, especially when Cork enjoys most the bargaining power.

I think it goes both ways, if I were Koeman I think personally Id let him run his contract down. Surely he is only going to command a modest 4-5m fee, perhaps less ? For me I think Id rather have him in the squad untill the end of the season, unless of course things have changed and there is a new incoming player.

Reed isnt there yet. But generally we have Vic, Morgan and Toby if required that can play deep. Add Davis as a stop gap too. So we wont be overreliant straight away for young harry. But it would allow him a proper progression route.

Id say the bargaining power goes both ways. We arent as reliant as we were on him and his contract is running down.

wHy dID wE oFFeR hIM nEw cONtRaCT tHEN?

Pfft this is the type of comment I would expect from someone who only plays football manager iphone edition. What you do it trick him into a new contract, get him to tutor the wonderkid, giving him the odd game against West Brom and the like, then sell him to WBA in 12 months time and use the money to put the wonderkid on a massive contract. This is simple stuff bear. I am :blush: for your dumbness.

Surely he is only going to command a modest 4-5m fee, perhaps less ? For me I think Id rather have him in the squad untill the end of the season

Pfft then it's costing you £4-5m maybe less + Jack Cork's wages just to have him for 16 games! Where's your business head, Smirking! You're usually all for getting rid of Club Heroes!

He's a typical Swansea player really, will be a good fit for them I think. We clearly have our eye on some new CM's, and with Reed and JWP's progression, his time will be limited. I like Jack, terrific for us and has put in a great shift over the years. Thought he was a bargain signing in the NPC. Don't think he's quite England quality, but a decent player in the squad - but he clearly doesn't want to be that, which is fair enough.

If Swansea offer him football regular, then he'll have to take it at his age.

Agree with all of that.

Amazing to see Jack is now rated as surplus by many on here. Quite a few had him in front of wanyama before the season started. And now he's fallen behind Reed and Ward Prowse too. Still our third best midfielder imo

Personally would disagree.

Would have had Wanyama and Schneiderlin ahead of him by some distance at start of season.

Would also have JWP and Steve Davis ahead. Think Reed looks more reliable and energetic defensively, albeit early days and Reed at moment shown less range of play.

If every is fit he would struggle to make the bench IMHO.

Seems decent character, and never worried it he is playing but squad player at best now.

Pfft this is the type of comment I would expect from someone who only plays football manager iphone edition. What you do it trick him into a new contract, get him to tutor the wonderkid, giving him the odd game against West Brom and the like, then sell him to WBA in 12 months time and use the money to put the wonderkid on a massive contract. This is simple stuff bear. I am :blush: for your dumbness.

that is what I do! But problem is on Football Manager iPhones you're rated on your "Domestic Bias" like it's a good thing, and if I sell too many English bros it affects my English Bias rating, which don't happen if I let them Jack Cork go on Free. Koeman is obv Not Bothered bout his Domestic Bias rating :thumbup:

When was it offered to him? What did it contain and how does it match up to what Swansea are offering?

I'm assuming it was offered at the beginning of January as that's when the news broke about it. For a player in his last year of contract, that seems pretty late to me if we were that bothered about keeping him, and suspect that's what Cork thinks as well, which was the point I was making.

Can see why he'd want to go. It wasn't long ago people were touting him to be the next Saints player to get an England call up. He's only been out of the side because of Morgan and Big Vic being so good and a couple of unlucky injuries.

Class act IMO and it'd be a shame to see him go, but can't blame him. Always seemed like a good lad.

Personally would disagree.

Would have had Wanyama and Schneiderlin ahead of him by some distance at start of season.

Would also have JWP and Steve Davis ahead. Think Reed looks more reliable and energetic defensively, albeit early days and Reed at moment shown less range of play.

If every is fit he would struggle to make the bench IMHO.

Seems decent character, and never worried it he is playing but squad player at best now.

you'd play JWP and Davis as DMs before Cork? really??

No one looks at that stuff bear. I spend like Harry Redknapp snapping up wonderkids on the never never 48month payment planner and still get top ranking for handling finances. Cork is past the wonderkid stage and is dad is a pain. If he wants out, let him go and just sign Boca Junrs under 18 star!

Can see why he'd want to go. It wasn't long ago people were touting him to be the next Saints player to get an England call up. He's only been out of the side because of Morgan and Big Vic being so good and a couple of unlucky injuries.

Class act IMO and it'd be a shame to see him go, but can't blame him. Always seemed like a good lad.

That's the issue though isn't it we need quality squad players if we really want to move up a level. You quite often look at the big boys match day bench and think wow the saints match day bench can be a little ..err underwhelming. Keeping hold of quality squad players is something the club needs to do if it can.

It's fast moving in the direction of us getting rid of all our English players and replacing them by imports chosen by Koeman. I don't like it as I've never done when a manager brings in his own players leaving us open to disaster when they leave. There are some decent English players available but we don't seem interested.

Seems to be one of those players continually underestimated by fans and coaches alike, until they actually get a decent run in the side. Poor at the weekend but rarely ever lets anyone down and compliments Morgan perfectly as we've seen in the past. Must admit that Wanyama has improved this season to the point where Corky wouldn't have been in my current first choice midfield. And with the form of Reed I'd say using him as a back-up for Morgan/Wanyama makes more sense than Cork as it'll aid his development. Factor in Davis and Ward-Prowse who can play there if need be along with Toby and it probably makes sense to let him go while we can recoup some sort of fee.

Really cannot understand this, or the way he has seemingly been treated. I've always thought him an excellent player who rarely loses the ball. Can only think he has twonks for advisers. at least they have a Saint manager.

fully agree. Very disappointed to see him go out the door. Hugely underated by the last two managers. My guess is he is a terrible five a side player which put Poch and Ron off picking him. However, when he did get a game he shined and usually retained his place afterwards. That great performance seemed to forgotten in pre-season and he was back to square one.

I guess also that what we offered and what he could get on the open market didn't match, so can't blame him for going elsewhere. Not sure its a good move for either party, but if he isn't going to be recognised by the Saints manager then what choice does he have? Equally its good that Saints are not overspending on wages just to keep him sat on the bench.

In the short term I think he is a better option than our two young midfielders, but in the long term they may prove to be better all round players...we shall see.

Perhaps the club are super confident of keeping Morgan and Victor. I'd be worried to see Cork go and then either of the aforementioned in the summer.

Schneiderlin will be going in the Summer with Clasie in to replace him. Don't see that this makes any difference, especially when Cork won't be here next Summer (he's not signing a new contract).

It's fast moving in the direction of us getting rid of all our English players and replacing them by imports chosen by Koeman. I don't like it as I've never done when a manager brings in his own players leaving us open to disaster when they leave. There are some decent English players available but we don't seem interested.

I think that the operative word in your post is "seem".

It's fast moving in the direction of us getting rid of all our English players and replacing them by imports chosen by Koeman. I don't like it as I've never done when a manager brings in his own players leaving us open to disaster when they leave.

Koeman has given gametime, debuts and time training with the 1st team to a lot of Saints academy players this season.

There are some decent English players available but we don't seem interested.

Who?

fully agree. Very disappointed to see him go out the door. Hugely underated by the last two managers. My guess is he is a terrible five a side player which put Poch and Ron off picking him. However, when he did get a game he shined and usually retained his place afterwards. That great performance seemed to forgotten in pre-season and he was back to square one.

I guess also that what we offered and what he could get on the open market didn't match, so can't blame him for going elsewhere. Not sure its a good move for either party, but if he isn't going to be recognised by the Saints manager then what choice does he have? Equally its good that Saints are not overspending on wages just to keep him sat on the bench.

In the short term I think he is a better option than our two young midfielders, but in the long term they may prove to be better all round players...we shall see.

If both Koeman and Pochettino don't think he's good enough for a starting spot, then I think they're more likely to be correct about a player than a number of fans who think he's underrated.

If he goes, and at this stage it's a big if, then we've only ourselves to blame. Waiting this long to offer him a contract, then imposing a deadline on him to sign it, isn't a very stylish way of dealing with things. Didn't Fonte get upset about his contract being posted to him to sign?

Anyway - there could well be another side to it. You have to be pretty confident that it's not a big loss and that you can replace if you play it like this. Plus the summer taught us all that it's not about individuals and that we can more than handle player departures.

Because English players cost too much! What manager doesn't try and bring in players they know?

Tell me English equivalents for Pelle, Tadic, Mane, Elia or and English loan equivalent of Toby, who we could have got for their prices and would have given their return?

Plus, does it matter what nationality they are?

Simon Peach ‏@SimonPeach · 9 mins9 minutes ago

Gut feeling is it is 50:50 whether Cork will stay at #SaintsFC. Substantial contract offer on the table, but too little, too late?

Would be very disappointed to hear that Cork is leaving because of the way he has been treated rather than anything else. Why **** about all this time. Lad wasn't first choice last season but still made 28 appearances. Absolutely no reason to delay giving him a new deal.

@SimonPeach: As far as I'm aware, Cork's representatives waiting to hear back from Les Reed after sending over latest thoughts on contract yesterday.

Which would make sense - it's all bargaining. Cork is at an age where he wants a really good long-term contract to get him to 30 (I'm guessing of course), so obviously this is the sort of contract you want to be bang on in terms of bonuses, pay, longevity.

The trouble with football now is that fans know too much. I doubt that 15 years ago, no one would have had a clue and that is why it's all so tedious now.

Would be very disappointed to hear that Cork is leaving because of the way he has been treated rather than anything else. Why **** about all this time. Lad wasn't first choice last season but still made 28 appearances. Absolutely no reason to delay giving him a new deal.

FFS, how has he been treated?? He has a contract, which pays him a substantial wage. The new manager wanted to see him play to see whether he wanted to keep him, he wants to keep him, he's been offered a new contract. It's no different to anyone of us getting a new boss at work who "restructures" to see who he keeps and who he doesn't keep.

Jesus.

It would be a real shame if he leaves and not just because he is a decent player of the right age. He ticks a lot of boxes that are required at this or any other club in that he is English and classified as 'homegrown.' He is also one of the diminishing few that has been on 'the journey' through the leagues and is integral to the way the team has played over the course of that journey. Think it is important to maintain that spirit within the club and that is a rather large part of the reason why the players are fighting so hard this season. As others have said, certain midfielders are likely to move on in the summer and it is even more important to maintain some stability in that area as it has been our strength over the past years and cannot easily be recreated, otherwise everyone else would be doing it. Hope he stays.

Lets be real jack is too much like Vic without the beast mode aspect, he's a solid player who has been good to great (in certain games) but he won't influence a game like morgan and vic can, he's the perfect sub for us which is something I think Harry is now performing.

Add in the youngsters and the potential in other players we could be looking at then the fair thing would be to get some money for him an let him have the opportunity to prove us wrong at another team by playing regular football.

I think he would be excellent for similar type clubs like Palace, Swansea or Villa.