Jack Cork Signs for Swansea

Saint-Armstrong

It's fast moving in the direction of us getting rid of all our English players and replacing them by imports chosen by Koeman. I don't like it as I've never done when a manager brings in his own players leaving us open to disaster when they leave. There are some decent English players available but we don't seem interested.

Koeman has given gametime, debuts and time training with the 1st team to a lot of Saints academy players this season.

Who?

I think it is true that we don't see all that interested in buying English players. But they are overpriced for their value so, unfortunately for Southampton fans who like the idea of fielding a mostly English squad, we are going to be buying foreign and selling English more often than the reverse. Keep in mind that Schneiderlin counts as a home grown English player for roster purposes so his value will be inflated too.

Seems madness to sell him, if we have aspirations for European football he is exactly the sort of player we need to keep. I think the club have dropped a brick, our squad is thin enough already. Of course if RK has someone else lined up I will eat my words but I have a feeling he hasn't.

You are aware he's out of contract aren't you? You are aware that we can't force him to sign?

The club gets more right than it gets wrong & despite the fact that most of us would like to keep him, he may want to move for 1st team football instead of simply being a squad player.

Seems madness to sell him, if we have aspirations for European football he is exactly the sort of player we need to keep. I think the club have dropped a brick, our squad is thin enough already. Of course if RK has someone else lined up I will eat my words but I have a feeling he hasn't.

They have offered Cork a Contract so why do you think they are selling him?

I would expect that they have someone lined up

Disgusting how he's run his contract down to get this big money move :x It will serve him right if he ends up living in Wales :lol:

Sorry that was a troll post do not respond pls

Trolling is beneath you. And don't tell me what I can respond to or I will blog about you again.

If realising a few million for Cork means we can sign Schneider or some other impressive player then I'm all for it. Cork's a good player but if he's holding our for a relatively high wage when he's a reserve then the money would be better spent elsewhere.

I know we brought in more than we spent in the summer but it's about maintaining control of the wage bill, not just capex. Even with Vic and Morgan out, I would question whether Cork would currently get in the team. Personally, I would go for Reed, Davis and JWP on Sunday.

I'm struggling to believe that Cork is asking for the same wages as international superstar Wesley Sneijder. Also Cork is what 25? at the peak of his career physically Sneijder is already turned 30 so is on the road down career wise if we need to replace Cork I'd rather we looked for someone younger.

Finally why do people want to play Davis (can do a job though not great) or JWP (more powder puff than my 9 year old daughter) as one of our two DMs and not play a decent DM in Cork? Granted if Cork is off to Swansea he won't play this weekend anyway.

Sorry for the delay in reply Angel. The navel gazing is aimed at Cork. Do I? Don't I? Influenced as he is by his Dad I wonder if he's allowed to make his own decisions.In his place I'd stay until the summer but I'm not.I have no more idea of his real intentions than any other Saint.I wish him luck in whatever decision is made.I've admired his performances and hope he can get up to speed again soon.

They have offered Cork a Contract so why do you think they are selling him?

I would expect that they have someone lined up

Yes but it obviously was not a very good contract hence him turning his back on it and talking to Swansea. I maintain not enough was done to keep him and that in my humble opinion is a mistake. Southampton do make them you know.

Yes but it obviously was not a very good contract hence him turning his back on it and talking to Swansea.

I think its far more likely to be down to game time than wages, Cork is more likely to start for Swansea than he is for us. If both clubs offered him regular starts then I'm sure Saints could out do Swansea in terms of a contract offer.

Yes but it obviously was not a very good contract hence him turning his back on it and talking to Swansea. I maintain not enough was done to keep him and that in my humble opinion is a mistake. Southampton do make them you know.

I don't think there's a doubt that if you want a player to stay you don't wait until 6-12 months before his contract expires to offer a new one.

I would rather trust SFC than posters as they are usually wrong

Cork is far too good a player to be sat on a bench each week, he is has always been extremely consistent, keeps the ball really well and seems to put in some of his best performances away from home too. He'll play regularly at Swansea and will without doubt improve them. He's very unfortunate to find himself down in the pecking order but with the quality we have in midfield right now his chances are always going to limited. Good luck to him, still think he can get in the England side if we had a manager that understands the concept of balance in midfield.

It's fast moving in the direction of us getting rid of all our English players and replacing them by imports chosen by Koeman. I don't like it as I've never done when a manager brings in his own players leaving us open to disaster when they leave. There are some decent English players available but we don't seem interested.

Box of frogs.

@SimonPeach: As far as I'm aware, Cork's representatives waiting to hear back from Les Reed after sending over latest thoughts on contract yesterday.

You're waiting a long time if you expect Les Reed to return your calls.

We're on a downward curve and no mistake.

Define "obviously".

If he's asking for guarantees of first-team football, we could throw as much money as we like at him and he won't sign it. We're not going to be able to guarantee him first-team football, either Wanyama and Schneiderlin stay next season (unlikely with the latter) or we sign at least one more central midfielder, or both. Either way, Cork is likely to be moving further down the pecking order rather than up.

My concern is that any replacement is likely to be yet another loan. It is alright to get these players with a view to a permanent move in the summer but we certainly run the risk of being guzumped. We could end up having to build a completely new team for the second summer running.

Define "obviously".

If he's asking for guarantees of first-team football, we could throw as much money as we like at him and he won't sign it. We're not going to be able to guarantee him first-team football, either Wanyama and Schneiderlin stay next season (unlikely with the latter) or we sign at least one more central midfielder, or both. Either way, Cork is likely to be moving further down the pecking order rather than up.

Indeed. I would say reed is ahead of cork already

I think its far more likely to be down to game time than wages, Cork is more likely to start for Swansea than he is for us. If both clubs offered him regular starts then I'm sure Saints could out do Swansea in terms of a contract offer.

How are you sure of that? We don't have any transfer funds so it's not a given that we could out do Swansea contract wise.

Dafydd Pritchard of BBC Sport: Swansea City have agreed a fee with Southampton for midfielder Jack Cork, who has held talks with the Swans.

Can't help but feel really sad about this. I'll never forget the impact Cork made when he back from injury in our first PL season. He's played a really important role in where we are now, and seems a really good guy.

Good luck, Jack!

What makes you think the contract wasn't good enough?

Maybe he didn't like the idea of getting on the bench being a good week?

As it stands, it seems, correctly in my opinion, that Koeman considers Schneiderlin and Wanyama as his choice for DM.

When they were out he started Reed and Davis.

He has also used Toby and JWP in central midfield roles.

He would do a good job when needed, particularly when /if we get European football.

But if all fit he is very unlikely to be first 11, and far from guaranteed to make squad. Not worked all out but not sure he would make mine.

If Schneiderlin goes, I hope and expect we will be looking for first team replacement rather than moving everyone up.

As it stands, it seems, correctly in my opinion, that Koeman considers Schneiderlin and Wanyama as his choice for DM.

He would do a good job when needed, particularly when /if we get European football.

But if all fit he is very unlikely to be first 11, and far from guaranteed to make squad. Not worked all out but not sure he would make mine.

If Schneiderlin goes, I hope and expect we will be looking for first team replacement rather than moving everyone up.

What are you on about? Reed, Toby, Davis and JWP started ahead of Cork at DM/CM because he was injured.

Reed, Davis, Toby and JWP have only been used as a CM when all three of Cork, Wanyama and Morgan were out. Before his injury, he was definitely 3rd choice for that role.

NickG appears to be an absolute trevor.

Unable to engage in any form of debate because 100% of events paint the club in perfect light.

Fair play Buddy. I'm sure if Pelle gets injured it will actually be a positive because Seager is better.