Jack Cork Signs for Swansea

Saint-Armstrong

FFS, how has he been treated?? He has a contract, which pays him a substantial wage. The new manager wanted to see him play to see whether he wanted to keep him, he wants to keep him, he's been offered a new contract. It's no different to anyone of us getting a new boss at work who "restructures" to see who he keeps and who he doesn't keep.

Jesus.

This.

they play in the same league, therefore we play them twice. They be a rival innit.

Do you think Chelsea consider Burnley a "rival" and don't want to sell players to them? There is a line to be drawn somewhere over who is a rival for league positions and I think Swansea are below Southampton's line. Southampton's rivals for league position this season are Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and possibly West Ham.

Saints loaned Ramirez to Hull because they knew we would finish higher than Hull and Hull weren't a threat (cue posts saying Ramirez weakened Hull :p :D).

FFS, how has he been treated?? He has a contract, which pays him a substantial wage. The new manager wanted to see him play to see whether he wanted to keep him, he wants to keep him, he's been offered a new contract. It's no different to anyone of us getting a new boss at work who "restructures" to see who he keeps and who he doesn't keep.

Jesus.

Yep. Shame if he goes but that's how it is - we're in a position now where very good Prem players are wanting to leave us because they're not getting enough game time, that's something to be happy about IMO. Wasn't too long ago he'd have been leaving because we were too far below his level.

Sad to hear but would explain his woeful performance on Saturday when it was clear his mind was elsewhere. Clasie could be on his way in as most likely replacement, remember this?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/southampton-eye-transfer-jordy-clasie-5048184

clasie taking the oranje thing a bit too seriously there. Was David Dickinson in the netherlands about 24 years ago?

He's played 480 odd minutes this season, hardly a big contribution to our outstanding form. A good player for us in the past, granted, but not really a loss considering his input this year.

Also, will he really be starting at Swansea ahead of Sigurdsson, Dyer, Routledge, Ki Sung and Michu (if/when he's back from laon)? he may get games in straight after the move, but not long term.

He's played 480 odd minutes this season, hardly a big contribution to our outstanding form. A good player for us in the past, granted, but not really a loss considering his input this year.

Also, will he really be starting at Swansea ahead of Sigurdsson, Dyer, Routledge, Ki Sung and Michu (if/when he's back from laon)? he may get games in straight after the move, but not long term.

Four of those play as part of the three behind the striker. Cork will be first choice at Swansea.

I disagree, and always have. He's fine, but that's about it. Think Reed would do as good a job, and he isn't even in JWP league (although they play in different positions so not really comparable).

If we are in europe he will be needed so why risk bringing someone else in when he's young english and rarely lets us down?

Edited by Saint IQ

I doubt they want to block Harrison Reed's pathway. Plus we have some other very promising central midfielders in the academy. Les Reed has mentioned on numerous occasions that the club wants to leave a path into the first team for the top academy players and Cork remaining as a squad player would in some ways block this.

Callum Slattery?

If realising a few million for Cork means we can sign Schneider or some other impressive player then I'm all for it. Cork's a good player but if he's holding our for a relatively high wage when he's a reserve then the money would be better spent elsewhere.

I know we brought in more than we spent in the summer but it's about maintaining control of the wage bill, not just capex. Even with Vic and Morgan out, I would question whether Cork would currently get in the team. Personally, I would go for Reed, Davis and JWP on Sunday.

Is this the very same Jack Cork who was given an ultimatum last week (by RK) and now he's allegedly off to Swansea? Me thinks there's a little navel examination going on.

Why?

He was asked whether he was going to sign, so that the club could (try to) sell him and recoup some money if he wasn't going to sign. Or at least that is the presumption. Can't see anything wrong in that. What people seem to have forgotten in all of this, is what Jack Cork actually wants, and instead seem to think what SFC want is the most important thing. People, myself included, have no idea what has been going on regarding his contract, yet seem to be more than happy to pontificate about it.

Players are now discussed in terms of the cost over their entire contract. We apparently were going to offer £40kpw for (at a guess) 4 years = £8.32m. Let's say his market value would be £5m (if with longish contract) that would effectively make his value a total of £13.32m over 4 years with wages. So say Swansea get him for nothing, pay him £10m over 4 years, they are getting "value for money" and he is getting £48k pw. Of course very simplistic and not sure that's a terribly good explanation, but I hope it makes sense.

He fits Swansea pretty well.

His passing is exquisit, and he was for the last 3 seasons one of our most composed players on the ball, always so neat with his moves. However, he lacked the physical build needed for a defensive CM to show his presence, and crucially did not have the pace to make up for this.

Good move for both I think, especially as his contract runs out soon. Maybe he did have a better offer on the table all along, even if not financially!

If we are in europe he will be needed so why risk bringing someone else in when he's young english and rarely lets us down?

Could it be that this decision is driven more by money than it is by football? What a shock! Cork had refused to agree a new contract so he could have left on a free transfer in July. With no transfer fee involved that may have opened the door to a signing-on fee or higher wages. As it is, Southampton will receive a fee for a transfer in this window. The opportunity is there for the club is to improve the squad if they can sign a player of international quality. Names have already been mentioned and given past experience of their recruitment efficiency it seems very likely they have someone on standby.

Shame. He's been a decent player for us and his departure couldn't really come at a worse time. Given all of the injuries this is going to leave us very light in the middle over the coming weeks.

Unless of course we sign a (better?) replacement in this window !!

We should have Protest outside SMS for Sky Cameras we can have signs saying things like:

Put A Cork In These Sales Les Reed

Don't Sell Out JC For 30 Pieces Of Silver (It Ended Badly For Judas After All)

Edited by Bearsy

I'll be disappointed to see him leave, and can see the argument for him being our 3rd choice defensive midfielder. However, he is an asset with a rapidly depreciating value, and we have the option to get some cash without significantly harming our team - wherever you place Cork in the pecking order, there is little doubt that we have other 'good' options, it's not like Burnley with Danny Ings. From a business perspective you can't hang on to these players on the basis that we MIGHT end up needing him, it's like staying in for the whole hand in poker just in case that one card you need comes down.

No doubt Morgan and Wanyama are first choice but how about a little fore thought for the summer? We might lose one or both of them and he'll be good to have around if th st happens. Never really let us down and finding an understated quality footballer like Cork would be very difficult. He's better than any other English options out there - Colback, Delph, Henderson etc.

Jesus.

Except to make your analogy more reflective of the situation the person at work who didn't know whether he was wanted or not saw other employees told they were wanted before the new boss came in, and then other employees told they were wanted straight away while you waited. And then at the last minute you are told you are wanted. How would that make you feel? Like you were a last resort? Like you were being treated differently?

At the end of the day Cork hasn't acted unprofessionally but what did he have to prove to Koeman over and above anyone else? He has always been a steady performer for us. Last summer loads of fans got upset with the players that wanted to leave, and now we have a situation where in the summer a player clearly wanted to stay and has been messed about (in my opinion). Loyalty, if it does exist in football, works both ways for me. I would be annoyed if I were Cork - and no wonder players decide to take matters in their own hands like some of ours did last summer.

No doubt Morgan and Wanyama are first choice but how about a little fore thought for the summer? We might lose one or both of them and he'll be good to have around if th st happens. Never really let us down and finding an understated quality footballer like Cork would be very difficult. He's better than any other English options out there - Colback, Delph, Henderson etc.

Not sure what English has to do with it to be honest. We're going to bring players in to play in the middle when the summer comes be it Clasie or Martins Indi or whoever. We will be signing players better than Cork and have a decent number of players coming through the academy that can play midfield.

Cork is a run of the mill premiership player, wouldn't be good enough for the man utds or arsenals of this world , or even the Tottenhams IMO. He has been offered a new contract and if he doesn't want to sign it he can go forth and multiply, as far as I'm concerned.

Just because he wouldn't be wanted by Utd, Arsenal etc, it doesn't make him "run of the mill". Shall we not be bothered by anyone going unless they are good enough to play for a traditional top side? He has been an important player for us for a number of seasons and as others have noted on this thread, is only really behind Vic and Morgan as our most effective CM. Some of our best performances have involved Cork, he's bossed many a midfield and it would be a shame to see him go.

Except to make your analogy more reflective of the situation the person at work who didn't know whether he was wanted or not saw other employees told they were wanted before the new boss came in, and then other employees told they were wanted straight away while you waited. And then at the last minute you are told you are wanted. How would that make you feel? Like you were a last resort? Like you were being treated differently?

At the end of the day Cork hasn't acted unprofessionally but what did he have to prove to Koeman over and above anyone else? He has always been a steady performer for us. Last summer loads of fans got upset with the players that wanted to leave, and now we have a situation where in the summer a player clearly wanted to stay and has been messed about (in my opinion). Loyalty, if it does exist in football, works both ways for me. I would be annoyed if I were Cork - and no wonder players decide to take matters in their own hands like some of ours did last summer.

They left for more money and to "bigger clubs." I think you will find it had nothing to do with being treated badly by SFC. I assume but I don't know for sure that Jack Cork has been offered more money in this new contract. His other doesn't run out for a while. Not sure that he has been treated badly by the club at all.

If he has been offered a contract and doesn't sign it, that's it. Can't see why folk say that's our fault, it's his decision. pity, but that's businees, he thinks he can do better somewhere else (doubt it) but ti will make space for the next generation

Some are talking as if we're forcing him out of the club, there's a contract on the table FFS. Either he decides to sign it or he chooses to move on, its entirely his decision and nothing the club can do. If he 'clearly wanted to stay', he would have signed, end of. Enough with pandering to the player's feelings and making sure their phone calls are answered and if they're tucked into bed at night. Did any of the defectors give a **** about the club's feelings when they left last summer?

Seems madness to sell him, if we have aspirations for European football he is exactly the sort of player we need to keep. I think the club have dropped a brick, our squad is thin enough already. Of course if RK has someone else lined up I will eat my words but I have a feeling he hasn't.

K.Billy said we didn't have any ££'s for a transfer so maybe this will free up some funds. Can't imagine we'd be getting much for Corky though.