Jack Cork Signs for Swansea

Saint-Armstrong

With everyone fit Cork doesn't make the bench in this squad. I will be sad to see him go as he is a decent player, unfortunately he is up against some pretty stiff competition.

The £3m transfer fee should be thrown at Schneider wages for a **** or bust last 16 games I reckon!

With everyone fit Cork doesn't make the bench in this squad. I will be sad to see him go as he is a decent player, unfortunately he is up against some pretty stiff competition.

The £3m transfer fee should be thrown at Schneider wages for a **** or bust last 16 games I reckon!

1. Who says he doesn't make the bench? Thats an opinion. I would think when fit he has been left off the bench very few times.

2. Assuming we replace him then does that guy also not make the bench or someone else like Reed?

3. Should we then sell Reed?

4. Who the **** is Schneider?

That's clearly nonsense isn't it?

The problem with Sneijder is that he's just not that good anymore. Only really showing flashes of inspiration every so often in a league that's relatively weak - certainly much weaker than the PL - doesn't justify such a monstrous salary for me. While Koeman will diplomatically say we can't afford him, I suspect the actual truth is that we wouldn't want him these days.

The problem with Sneijder is that he's just not that good anymore. Only really showing flashes of inspiration every so often in a league that's relatively weak - certainly much weaker than the PL - doesn't justify such a monstrous salary for me. While Koeman will diplomatically say we can't afford him, I suspect the actual truth is that we wouldn't want him these days.

Any top side could go and get him and none have. Speaks volumes.

Cork is a run of the mill premiership player, wouldn't be good enough for the man utds or arsenals of this world , or even the Tottenhams IMO.

Agreed. He's a steady 6.5/10 player. Sure he's ever reliable but we need better players to make progress. The lad hasn't accepted the offer put to him so we cash in while we can.

That's a bit of a fun crusher Bud.

Really? I'd have him in front of Reed myself (at the moment Reed is deffo one for the future). Also as the last two seasons have proved we rarely have everyone fit plus Morgan is gone this summer and most likely Victor will be to IMO.

Well let's see, what does our fully fit squad look like? There are bound to be some disagreements, but this is all my opinion of course.

Forster

Clyne Fonte Toby Bertrand

Morgan Wanyama Davis

Tadic Pelle Mane

Bench:

Davis, Gardos, Targett, JWP, Cork, Elia, Long?

Only key players I have failed to include here are Yoshida, Reed and Jay Rod (but he is injured of course)

As much as I love Reed, felt Cork has a bit more experience in him and did well in that Newcastle game 2 games back in closing the game down. Reed can get his time soon, plus he is anyway with all these injuries.

Also shoutouts to academy players such as Hesketh, Seager, Gape and others!

Just typing that- our squad is fairly big! Just a shame all these key injuries/tournaments have happened at the same time!

Edited by nta786

Really? I'd have him in front of Reed myself (at the moment Reed is deffo one for the future). Also as the last two seasons have proved we rarely have everyone fit plus Morgan is gone this summer and most likely Victor will be to IMO.

This is key for me, Cork should certainly be retained as we plan for next season knowing that we will lose at least one of our key mf players. For all the hype about JWP and Reed, Cork remains a more reliable if unspectacular option.

A'ight. First of all it's SNEIJDER. Secondly he doesn't fit the profile of any of our transfer targets (30+, huge wages, not very versatile). Lastly, didn't Koeman deny he was interested a few months ago?

Would rather keep Cork than have to replace him but I can understand why he'd want to go and play first team at Swansea. Would be a shame to see him go.

Would be disappointed if this was true, as think he still has a lot to offer us, and I think he most likely would have signed a new contract had it been offered earlier.

That said, if he does leave, I'm sure we have plans to fill his place with a capable replacement.

This is key for me, Cork should certainly be retained as we plan for next season knowing that we will lose at least one of our key mf players. For all the hype about JWP and Reed, Cork remains a more reliable if unspectacular option.

But isn't our plan to buy better than you have ?

I've always thought that Cork has got Premier League hair, and the likes of Harrison Reed are a long way short of reaching that standard. You can see why Swansea are keen tho, to balance out the midfield partnership with Jonjo Shelvey :thumbup:

Jonjo Shelvey partnership LOL

The interesting thing for me is how this is going to affect our squad with regards to number of home grown players. We already have a small number and losing Cork, potentially Morgan and even possibly Clyne (not to mention Bertrand) means we could end up with a minimal number of home growns (excluding u21s). I have no problems signing players from Eredivisie or elsewehere, but when we ned to increase our squad size (if hypothetically we qualify for Europe) this is going to put a limit on our plans.

5th choice central midfielder at best when everyone is fit.

Will be sad to see him go, great servant over 2 spells but another one (like Chaplow, Hooiveld etc) who the club have out-grown.

5th? we only have 4 DM's that I'm aware of (unless like several others you want to play Attacking midfielders as DMs) and two of those will likely be gone in the summer. I find it funny that people think he is not good enough for us yet Swansea basically the sort of club we are competing with (despite what MLG thinks) is begging to take him.

5th? we only have 4 DM's that I'm aware of (unless like several others you want to play Attacking midfielders as DMs) and two of those will likely be gone in the summer. I find it funny that people think he is not good enough for us yet Swansea basically the sort of club we are competing with (despite what MLG thinks) is begging to take him.

Wanyama,

Schneiderlin,

JWP,

Davis

are all ahead of him in the pecking order.

I suspect and hope that it is part of a jigsaw. I read a rumour that Schneiderlin might be sold to Arsenal for a good fee now instead of the summer so as to enable Koeman to bring in other player(s). Pretty pointless us speculating when we haven't a clue what is really going on imo.

Wanyama,

Schneiderlin,

JWP,

Davis

are all ahead of him in the pecking order.

It's not as simple as that, the "pecking order" isn't linear because it depends on a variety of combination of roles, rather than "three central midfielders".

Wanyama and Schneiderlin, when available, are clearly the first-choice deep-lying midfielders, with Davis generally picked to play centrally in front of them. In a linear hierarchy, that would suggest that if Schneiderlin or Wanyama were injured, Davis would move up a step in the list and take the place of that injured player, which isn't the case. Cork would be the next cab off the rank based on the whole of this season. Reed has played in that deep role recently, but that's been because of the absence of Wanyama, Schneiderlin AND Cork. Had Cork been available for the Everton game, say, Reed may not even have been picked. Davis has only played in a deeper role when the combination has been Reed, Davis and Ward-Prowse, as his defensive game is stronger than JWP's, but each of Wanyama, Schneiderlin, Cork and even Alderweireld have stronger attributes for the deep-lying midfield position than Davis.

So it's as clear as mud, other than to say that Cork isn't fifth choice in a month of Sundays.

It's not as simple as that, the "pecking order" isn't linear because it depends on a variety of combination of roles, rather than "three central midfielders".

Wanyama and Schneiderlin, when available, are clearly the first-choice deep-lying midfielders, with Davis generally picked to play centrally in front of them. In a linear hierarchy, that would suggest that if Schneiderlin or Wanyama were injured, Davis would move up a step in the list and take the place of that injured player, which isn't the case. Cork would be the next cab off the rank based on the whole of this season. Reed has played in that deep role recently, but that's been because of the absence of Wanyama, Schneiderlin AND Cork. Had Cork been available for the Everton game, say, Reed may not even have been picked. Davis has only played in a deeper role when the combination has been Reed, Davis and Ward-Prowse, as his defensive game is stronger than JWP's, but each of Wanyama, Schneiderlin, Cork and even Alderweireld have stronger attributes for the deep-lying midfield position than Davis.

So it's as clear as mud, other than to say that Cork isn't fifth choice in a month of Sundays.

Apart from the fact that Koeman would rather play the other 4 first?

Apart from the fact that Koeman would rather play the other 4 first?

Based on what?

Wanyama and Schneiderlin, yes, obviously. Davis doesn't play the same position, nor does Ward-Prowse. It's like saying Cork's down the pecking order because he'd rather play Dusan Tadic. Cork, when fit, is clearly still ahead of Reed at this stage.

Cork is 3rd choice defensive midfielder, really.

I suspect and hope that it is part of a jigsaw. I read a rumour that Schneiderlin might be sold to Arsenal for a good fee now instead of the summer so as to enable Koeman to bring in other player(s). Pretty pointless us speculating when we haven't a clue what is really going on imo.

No you're talking rubbish. We aren't going to sell Morgan now.

Or put it another way.....I suppose he could see out his contract and go to Swansea on a free after the season. It won't make a difference to Swansea as I can't see them getting relegated. So JC could stick with us, get Swansea to pay him another £1-2m and sign for them in 5 months time.

This Cork love-in is proper funny. What's it gonna be like when someone decent like Morgan leaves?!

like last summer?

Or put it another way.....I suppose he could see out his contract and go to Swansea on a free after the season. It won't make a difference to Swansea as I can't see them getting relegated. So JC could stick with us, get Swansea to pay him another £1-2m and sign for them in 5 months time.

Which is what I would do if I were Jack Cork. But I am American and believe in free agency for athletes.

Edited by Redslo