Jack Cork Signs for Swansea

Saint-Armstrong

As usual, there is a load of crap spouted on here. Yes, he is our 3rd best midfielder, but he doesn't want to be a back up so he won't sign a new contract! That is why we are getting some money for him now - what part of this is representative of the club handing something badly? Morgan is likely to go in the summer for sure - then we spend some of that money on buying a first team replacement.

None of the journalists in the broadcast section of the press conference asked Koeman about him. Perhaps they did in the written section, but that is currently under embargo.

Its almost as if the journos had been asked by the club not to mention him...make of that what you will.... :)

Alan Cork: Don't know where 3m is coming from,one thing is sure if he signs it is a bargain,75% less than the 6m they turned down in Aug.

£1.5m then. Bit of a waste of £4.5m from what he has offered this season.

We gave them a 50% discount because they promised to take his old man as well.

The mistake was not sorting his new deal in the summer. At the end of last season he mentioned a new deal and said he wanted to stay. Even if the club was unsure about him, why not protect the asset? It was more risky to take this approach in my opinion and now we've sold our backup defensive midfielder for a pittance.

Cork would have had a very important role to play in the final half of the season and as good as Schneiderlin and Wanyama are, they do pick up a lot of injuries. Davis dropping back, or even Reed, are not half as good as Cork in that role in my opinion.

Don't really see how this can be dressed up as anything other than a bit of a balls up. Not a massive one, but Saints haven't really got anything out of this other than selling a good player for dirt cheap and 2 days to source a replacement.

The mistake was not sorting his new deal in the summer. At the end of last season he mentioned a new deal and said he wanted to stay. Even if the club was unsure about him, why not protect the asset? It was more risky to take this approach in my opinion and now we've sold our backup defensive midfielder for a pittance.

Cork would have had a very important role to play in the final half of the season and as good as Schneiderlin and Wanyama are, they do pick up a lot of injuries. Davis dropping back, or even Reed, are not half as good as Cork in that role in my opinion.

Don't really see how this can be dressed up as anything other than a bit of a balls up. Not a massive one, but Saints haven't really got anything out of this other than selling a good player for dirt cheap and 2 days to source a replacement.

Agree with every word. Poorly handled imo.

I think Reed has looked pretty good of late, not far off Cork's level for me. Sad to see him go and not the best timing, bit not exactly the end of the world.

Alan Cork: Don't know where 3m is coming from,one thing is sure if he signs it is a bargain,75% less than the 6m they turned down in Aug.

£1.5m then. Bit of a waste of £4.5m from what he has offered this season.

Would Jack Cork know what the club turned down for him in the summer?

Of course we can't but it's an interesting one. Particularly as we appear to have targetted an unproven 20 year old who is unhappy with his lack of first team football to replace someone who is leaving due to his lack of certainty around first team football.

Think you have pretty much answered your own question..

He is going because he is , what 26?, not sure and proven that he can do a job starting in the prem. However he is not good enough to start for us when fit, and (I appreciate this divides opinions) he may not even be the next in line, personally think Reed and JWP are considerably younger but already offer more....Reed more tenacious , JWP more likely to create. You could say he is too much of a jack of all trades. Early in the season there were a couple of games when Koeman didn't play both Wanyama and MS, and Cork still didn't play. I don't see he is likely to improve hugely at his age, but who knows. Whereas Reed and JWP are still babies and have potential to improve. He is a good player but not a top 6 level. He is ideal to have in the squad for cup and hopefully European games - but didn't want that role.

This is to his credit - don't players get criticised for leaving to sit on the bench at big clubs? He has left to avoid that.

Who would be happy with that role, and with potential to improve and make a difference when needed? A young proven player.

If Morgan goes I would hope we would be more ambitious than to move Cork to the main midfielder.

Why was it poorly handled

If the club wanted to keep him they would have given him a contract Cork was OK but not exceptional hardly a first team regular under either Roko or Mopo

Not offering a contract in the summer thereby annoying the player, then offering him one a month ago is poorly handling the contract situation imo.

Played more often than vic under Mopo. Played a fair amount this season considering he's been out injured since before Christmas.

Agree.

Think we might very well regret this next season, when as expected we lose a couple of other players.