Jack Cork Signs for Swansea

Saint-Armstrong

Wanyama,

Schneiderlin,

JWP,

Davis

are all ahead of him in the pecking order.

Neither Davis or JWP are defensive midfielders. Anyone who wants to see JWP trying to be protect our back four must have a screw loose..... . We play two DMs and have four on the books with Jack gone we will have three two of which we will, most likely, struggle to hold onto in the summer. I guess defensive midfielders will be high on the buying list this summer lets hope we can find and bring three in to the club.

I liked Cork, but if there's one thing we've learnt it's when a good player leaves Saints now, a better one replaces him. Be patient.

Nail, head, on.....would have thought people would have learnt their lesson from the summer. Chances are we will end up with a better player than Cork and if/when Schneiderlin leaves sure we will get a quality replacement.

Cork was a good squad player but realistically was not going to be the first name on the sheet any more.

I liked Cork, but if there's one thing we've learnt it's when a good player leaves Saints now, a better one replaces him. Be patient.

Yeah never going to fail is it. Why do we keep anyone when we are guaranteed to bring in better.

They must have had a brain fade offering him a contract

The Echo is saying the Club offered him a long term deal making him one of the better payed players in the squad, yet he's off. Maybe it is about regular game time for Cork.

Think that's what it's always been about for Corky. Fair play to the guy, football over cash!

Based on what?

Wanyama and Schneiderlin, yes, obviously. Davis doesn't play the same position, nor does Ward-Prowse. It's like saying Cork's down the pecking order because he'd rather play Dusan Tadic. Cork, when fit, is clearly still ahead of Reed at this stage.

Based upon Koeman's team selections when everyone is fit. Tbh his wages aren't in proportion to his squad value. Good sale IMO.

Well then let's ship out the whole squad and start again with their better replacements. We'll be top of the league in no time!

...if the offer of £3 million for Jack Cork is ANYWHERE near a true figure, then it must be regarded as a good deal for a player who can walk away for £0... in 5 months time.

I like Cork as a player, and he seems a nice sort of a person in interviews. Whilst he has looked OK in those games I've watched him in, he some how lacks that " X-factor" that makes a really top class player.

If indeed, he does have more in him, I hope he will get more opportunity to show it by getting regular starts with Swansea.

.....so as we say, good luck Jack - except if you happen to play v.Saints again in the future.

Interesting to see who replaces Clyne and Schneiderlin in the summer on that basis.

if we don't buy RB Sam Byram from Leeds, I'm sure that RK will find a few Dutchmen to fill those vacancies.

However....If we get into a Euro.spot next season, Byram's inexperience at Prem. level won't make him first choice against bigger Euro teams.

OOPs ! perhaps we should remember this is Jack Cork's thread.

Yeah never going to fail is it. Why do we keep anyone when we are guaranteed to bring in better.

They must have had a brain fade offering him a contract

.....but a good way to make him decide now rather than in May.

we also have the chance to " loan in " players who we might consider buying in the summer,(as eventual replacements)... and see they they fit in.

Interesting to see who replaces Clyne and Schneiderlin in the summer on that basis.

Of course, but if the player doesn't want to stay on improved terms then they'll leave and the black box will find a replacement. In the case of Cork, as he's not a regular starter and a little injury prone, it will not take too much to find a better player. In the case of Clyne and Morgan, it will be more a case of finding as best a fit as possible. Remember Shaw - the best LB in history? Bertrand made us forget him pretty quick, but would anyone claim before the transfer he was better than Shaw? No is the honest answer, but the lad has done as good a job IMO.

Of course, but if the player doesn't want to stay on improved terms then they'll leave and the black box will find a replacement. In the case of Cork, as he's not a regular starter and a little injury prone, it will not take too much to find a better player. In the case of Clyne and Morgan, it will be more a case of finding as best a fit as possible. Remember Shaw - the best LB in history? Bertrand made us forget him pretty quick, but would anyone claim before the transfer he was better than Shaw? No is the honest answer, but the lad has done as good a job IMO.

Agree with most of that, but we won't get every deal right.

Its a tough task to replace quality with quality, even tougher when you want to be competing for a European place but won't pay the type of wages that competitors will (for the right reasons of course).

After the success of Tadic and Pelle a lot of clubs will look to Holland in the summer I think.

We need to continually keep out in front in our off pitch structure and not relax now or others will catch up, and then in reality there isnt a lot to differentiate us from at least 10 other PL sides in terms of budget, attractiveness to players etc.

...if the offer of £3 million for Jack Cork is ANYWHERE near a true figure, then it must be regarded as a good deal for a player who can walk away for £0... in 5 months time.I like Cork as a player, and he seems a nice sort of a person in interviews. Whilst he has looked OK in those games I've watched him in, he some how lacks that " X-factor" that makes a really top class player.

If indeed, he does have more in him, I hope he will get more opportunity to show it by getting regular starts with Swansea.

.....so as we say, good luck Jack - except if you happen to play v.Saints again in the future.

It is a very good deal when you take into he could go for free in 16 games time!! Just hope he doesn't hold out till the end of the season and then walks. The chances of him starting say even 10 of those games would be at a cost of 300,000 quid a game in lost revenue, and the chance to take a look at a loanee to replace him.

To be honest I'd rather he stayed, a valuable squad member and any new arrivals are going to cost a lot more than 3 million that's for sure, unless Reed is seen as his replacement.

On the other side of the coin, if as suggested his new contract would make him one of the higher earners, how long before new salary demands from others start spiralling out of control?

And we are left with plenty of cash.........Plus their ability seems to diminish.

I reckon, according to my little squint of an ITK, that the black box already has a number of potential replacments anyway.

Don't want to see Jack go, but so far we have only improved.

I do have to ask one thing though: Is this official yet? Or are we just jumping the gun based on a tweet, a feeling, a few words in a tabloid, and **** loads of mind reading?

It depends what you call slagging? Yeah, he's fine, and did a good job for us. Don't think he'll be massively missed though, as he's not a starter.

Exactly this. He's a very good lower half prem player but for where we are now just a squad player. That's not revisionist.

The general tone seems to be he's a good player, and a likeable chap but ultimately not a first teamer and therefore not the greatest loss ever?

Seems fair to me.

I'd go with this. If we have academy products coming through who can go on to be better than Cork (maybe) then they will be given a chance and Cork can move on elsewhere where he will get his game time.

Once the sale is confirmed, Saints fans will do the usual and hugely downgrade his ability, slate his character and then declare his replacement to be far superior after one game.

Already happening.

No doubt Reed has show potential, but Cork is far from a run-of-the-mill Premier League footballer. He's a bloody decent footballer, in fact. As I said previous, far, far better than his other English counterparts who have caps (Henderson, Delph, Colback) and huge swathes of supposedly better foreign talent. Him or Ander Herrera? ...

Already happening.

No doubt Reed has show potential, but Cork is far from a run-of-the-mill Premier League footballer. He's a bloody decent footballer, in fact. As I said previous, far, far better than his other English counterparts who have caps (Henderson, Delph, Colback) and huge swathes of supposedly better foreign talent. Him or Ander Herrera? ...

That's rose tinted imo. Cork is a neat and tidy midfielder, nothing more. I'm not persuaded he's any better than the English guys that you name. Henderson and Delph are much better going forward imo. Colback is better defensively. Herrera - I'll grant you that one!

Reed offers at least as much now, and potentially so much more.

Regardless, he's rejected the offer from us so we have to cash in.

Already happening.

I'd take Henderson and Herrera over Cork, especially the latter who is top drawer. Delph and Colback both better than Cork this season though they've had the advantage of game time

Already happening.

**** off. Seriously?

I would certainly have Henderson and Delph over him, they are far better footballers, and Herrera is also much better.

That is mental.

Already happening.

Yeah i consider him equally good as any of those names.

Already happening.

I can't work out if this post is a self-parody or you're actually being serious. Cork is not far, far better than Henderson or Delph or even Colback for that matter, that is pretty obvious.

I am sure the revisionists will slag Cork when he leaves. He has been and is still a good player.

I've been consistent in my view of Cork - I've never understood the over the top hype of him from some fans. Someone the other day tried to claim his passing was 'exceptional'!

Anyone who thinks he's better than Wanyama or close to an England call-up should get out and watch more football.

Now a squad player but who has done a decent job in the past and would be OK filling in for injuries. Out of contract and refusing to sign another one, so getting £3 mil for him is good business. Good luck to Jack, always did his best and never let us down, but I think he's slightly over rated by some on here.

Already happening.

Ander Herrera all day long you loon!! Do you think Cork would get anywhere near United's bench??