Liverpool Build Up Thread

Wiggles31

This game promises to be electric.

Liverpool in disarray in the dressing room and tired from yesterday's game.

Saints almost at full strength and fighting for Europe.

An electric welcome for Lallanna and possibly Lovren that should immediately put a spark into our fans. (Perhaps the Northam might even come alive again)

And a chance to thank Rickie Lambert by singing he wants to come home to further break the Liverpool unity.

Has to be ours for the taking. I'm going 3-1 Saints.

Edited by SaintRobbie

I don't fully understand why the Balotelli penalty controversy is not entirely Rodgers' fault. Liverpool has two of the best penalty takers in the world in Balotelli and Lambert. Gerrard is good but not at their level. Since he is the long time captain who has always taken the penalties it makes sense to leave it that way, but when he isn't on the field surely Rodgers should have designated Balotelli and Lambert to take penalties ahead of Henderson or Sturridge.

I don't fully understand why the Balotelli penalty controversy is not entirely Rodgers' fault. Liverpool has two of the best penalty takers in the world in Balotelli and Lambert. Gerrard is good but not at their level. Since he is the long time captain who has always taken the penalties it makes sense to leave it that way, but when he isn't on the field surely Rodgers should have designated Balotelli and Lambert to take penalties ahead of Henderson or Sturridge.

It's only a controversy because everybody's talking about it. :rolleyes:

It's fairly predictable to be honest, no point getting wound up and strange to see our cool as mayo Ronnie get wound up to be fair. I reckon he's desperate to win this.

I wouldn't say he was 'wound up' per se, just a bit irritated at the leading questions :)

- Refuses to talk about the response Lallana should get and should be expecting; his job is to focus on our team. Admits Lallana is a good player, had a good opportunity to leave, doesn't hold a personal grudge.

- Wants a question about Southampton, not Liverpool!

- Encouraging the home fans to support the home team.

- Not worrying about losing the game and Liverpool closing in on points; RK is planning on winning this game.

- Fed up of questions about Lallana and Lovren - accuses the journalist of being their agent!

- Says team may have improved without Lovren - very gentle.

- Refusing to answer more questions about the Liverpool players.

- Long and Schneiderlin trained as normal today; looking positive for their return to the squad on Sunday.

- Rodriguez - 'it's a long way back for him' - needs more time. Still hopeful for his return this season, but will not rush him. JRod is too good to risk damaging him further.

- Home form is suffering because teams are coming to play defensive football, not offensively; however he doesn't expect Liverpool to come to be defensive.

- Normal for players like Pelle and Tadic to drop in form a bit through the season; however he believes we will create more chances/goals than recently.

- Liverpool's style should make it easier for us with more space on the pitch.

- We didn't have enough quality against WHam/Swansea to break them down.

- Summer strategy was not 'high-risk'.

- Rebuilding the team was a 'nice challenge' - used to doing it from his time in Holland, where best players leave most seasons.

- Impressed and proud of the academy and the full debuts of out U21 players.

- Disappointed at the WHam result - 30 minutes against 10 men means we should have scored.

- Pelle has Koeman's confidence and support - Sunday would be a great game for him to score.

- Very happy with Harrison Reed - he is a high enough level to play first team football and has shown his quality and energy. He is a part of the future of the club.

- We have 18-20 Premier League quality players; beyond that, we are relying on the academy, and that is the philosophy of the club.

- Not feeling the pressure of the end of the season; he was always expecting Liverpool/Spurs/Arsenal to be up here at the end of the season.

- Liverpool are a different team to the one we played on the opening day of the season; they have changed formation and are a good strong squad with players returning from injury.

- Looking forward to a big game on Sunday.

- Hoping Toby will be a Southampton player come summer, but Toby needs to feel happy here. Hoping to have an answer in the next month or two.

- Toby is out this weekend but should be back for next weekend against West Brom.

So, with Long and Schneiderlin looking likely to make a return to the squad, the starting line-up is possibly shaping up thus (bit of a toss up between Elia and Đuričić for me)....

Forster

Clyne - Fonte - Yoshida - Targett

Schneiderlin - Wanyama

Mane - Davis - Elia/Đuričić

Pelle

Subs: K.Davis, Gardos, Reed, JWP, Tadić, Elia/Đuričić, Long

Probably the strongest looking bench of the season thus far?

Cheers Igsey and Trousers. I'm starting to think if we somehow break into the Champions League that Toby will stay, he'll play every game as against being unsure as to whether he'll play with a team like Man City.

Also great to see Long coming back, we need his energy around the pitch to hassle the defenders. Feeling confident about Sunday. :)

So, with Long and Schneiderlin looking likely to make a return to the squad, the starting line-up is possibly shaping up thus (bit of a toss up between Elia and Đuričić for me)....

Forster

Clyne - Fonte - Yoshida - Targett

Schneiderlin - Wanyama

Mane - Davis - Elia/Đuričić

Pelle

Subs: K.Davis, Gardos, Reed, JWP, Tadić, Elia/Đuričić, Long

Probably the strongest looking bench of the season thus far?

Imagine when Bertrand, Toby and Jay Rod come back as well!

Also academy players like Seager, Gallagher, Hesketh, Gape, McCarthy

Our squad is not as bad as some think. A better sub keeper and maybe a like for like replacement for Pelle and we might be there!

Complete idiot... obviously not bright enough to adjust his questions once Koeman had questioned why he was at the press conference

To be fair (briefly), he would have been under orders from his superiors to come up with a provocative "Saints vs ex-Saints" headline. 10/10 for effort.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/180470-rodgers-there-s-no-issue-with-penalties

Rodgers said: "There's probably been a lot more of a drama made out of it than what it actually was.

"We scored the penalty and it's very clear who our penalty takers are in the team. Obviously when Steven plays, he's normally our No.1 penalty taker.

"With the players that were initially on the pitch last night, Jordan was our nominated penalty taker.

"If Jordan, Steven and Mario are on the pitch at the same time, we'd normally have Steven or Mario as the penalty taker. It just varies and really is with the player who is responsible for the penalty.

"Jordan Henderson showed last night what a team player he is. He respected Mario's position and that he is an outstanding penalty taker, and he was happy to give him the penalty to take it. Mario had the composure and calmness to finish it.

"We got the penalty and won the game."

Rodgers added: "We've got a whole raft of penalty takers here that are outstanding. Rickie Lambert has hardly missed a penalty in his entire career, so if he is on the pitch then there is another penalty taker.

"If you're the vice-captain and the captain is on the bench, but he comes on, it is the etiquette to go and then give him the armband. It's a similar thing with a penalty - if Steven is on the field, there is no drama as he takes the penalty. He is the first-choice penalty taker.

"After that, if Mario is on the field, he takes the penalty. His history shows he's scored nearly 30 penalties in big games, so he is an outstanding penalty taker. At the time when neither of them were on, Jordan was the nominated taker.

"Then Mario was on the field, [it was a] pressure situation, [and] Jordan was happy enough to take it, but he gave it to Mario, who gets his goal and there is no drama."

Well that's cleared that up then.....

Imagine when Bertrand, Toby and Jay Rod come back as well!

Also academy players like Seager, Gallagher, Hesketh, Gape, McCarthy

Our squad is not as bad as some think. A better sub keeper and maybe a like for like replacement for Pelle and we might be there!

When Rodriguez is back fit, they'll be a selection headache even for the bench going by that.

Good article. But I noticed one thing one of our members won't like at all

"going into the season amid talk of impending doom and what looked suspiciously like a fire sale rather than a coherent strategy"

Jeff to the main board, come in Jeff ;)

Koeman getting really p1ssed off with the journo now. Sibley tells the journo to stop.

Who was that prat of a journo who was making a fool of himself by asking the same question over and over again ?

Somebody must know his name and which media organisation he was reporting to ?

Liverpool's odds appear to be drifting slightly, now 2-1 or there abouts. Might be time for a quick 'blow softening' bet...

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/southampton-v-liverpool/winner

Against QPR, I put a blow softening £5 on Austin to score, as he is one of our jinx players who usually scores against us. I hear that he left the match on crutches. Which of the Liverpool players should be the victim of my bet on Sunday?

Against QPR, I put a blow softening £5 on Austin to score, as he is one of our jinx players who usually scores against us. I hear that he left the match on crutches. Which of the Liverpool players should be the victim of my bet on Sunday?

Well there's a choice of 2 that deserve a nasty injury....

Sturridge please! Without him they'll be strikerless once more.

Well, not on crutches, but I wouldn't mind their most inform striker having to leave the field early. I suppose that has to be Stirling.