Liverpool Build Up Thread

Wiggles31

I wouldn't go as far as awesome, but hes a decent player, i like him. More consistent than Mane, but the unpredictable nature of Mane makes him more dangerous IMO. I'd sign Elia though as long as hes a good fit for the club.

More consistent than mane really? 5 in 12 from mane is v good. A lot of those not upfront too which is his best position and assisted 2 or. 3.

Feel this is more of a must not lose than a must win. It's vital we keep a decent gap between ourselves and Liverpool. I know they've improved but I haven't been overly impressed by them. Hopefully a decent rest will work for the likes of Pelle and Tadic. This could be the game that reignites their seasons.

I see Morgan is linked with arsenal again today

With him and Clyne there is a decent chance they know or will do quite soon where they are most likely to be next season. If we are still competing with the likes of Utd or Arsenal in the latter few weeks of the season then they will have two teams they hope are top 4 finishers.

Would need to be tough mentally to block it out.

I still feel Elia is a bit soft, need him to rise to the challenge on Sunday, plus having Alderweireld and Bertrand out is a worry.

Yep not convinced by him at all yet.

I am, I think he's great, get him running at defenders and they shiit it.

I like Elia. I think in his first few games he has looked better than Mane did when he arrived.

We need to get behind Elia. Has great potential IMHO.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to him fulfilling the definite potential there.

Do you think we will try to buy Elia if Rodriguez is fully fit and with us next season?

I'm not sure to be honest

Don't forget that in the past two matches where he's been fairly underwhelming, he's had to do a lot defensively in order to cover Yoshida, who's been playing out of position at left-back.

Granted, Yoshida's done very well, but Elia's clearly been instructed to give him a lot of protection (which he's done so quite well, marked by the fact that Yoshida hasn't had to face a winger running at him one-on-one or have his lack of pace exposed.)

He's only played four other games. One in which he did well and scored twice, another which was against Manchester United away, and the other two where the whole team did pretty poorly overall.

Getting Schneiderlin into the team will make a big difference as well. One of the main reasons that we scored as many goals at the start of the season as we did was because we got the ball forward and wide very quickly after winning it (something that Schneiderlin does brilliantly). This enabled us to get Tadic and Mane in positions one-on-one with their full-backs and further giving Clyne and Bertrand the chance to fly past them on the overlap; something that the defending full-backs weren't ready for given how quickly Toby/Morgan are able to distribute the ball from deep.

That's the main thing that we've been missing recently. Its why Tadic looked so good at the start of the season and why Elia has had a tougher time joining when he did.

Don't forget that in the past two matches where he's been fairly underwhelming, he's had to do a lot defensively in order to cover Yoshida, who's been playing out of position at left-back.

Granted, Yoshida's done very well, but Elia's clearly been instructed to give him a lot of protection (which he's done so quite well, marked by the fact that Yoshida hasn't had to face a winger running at him one-on-one or have his lack of pace exposed.)

He's only played four other games. One in which he did well and scored twice, another which was against Manchester United away, and the other two where the whole team did pretty poorly overall.

Getting Schneiderlin into the team will make a big difference as well. One of the main reasons that we scored as many goals at the start of the season as we did was because we got the ball forward and wide very quickly after winning it (something that Schneiderlin does brilliantly). This enabled us to get Tadic and Mane in positions one-on-one with their full-backs and further giving Clyne and Bertrand the chance to fly past them on the overlap; something that the defending full-backs weren't ready for given how quickly Toby/Morgan are able to distribute the ball from deep.

That's the main thing that we've been missing recently. Its why Tadic looked so good at the start of the season and why Elia has had a tougher time joining when he did.

All good points. I'd add that with the ball moving forward quicker and more space expected against Liverpool we should see Elia receiving the ball looking forwards rather than with his back to goal as has happened quite a bit recently.

Agreed. Tadic is going to be massively important to us in this game. Hopefully he can tear them apart. COYR

It is a good sign, that because of the options we have, Tadic isn't even assured a place in the line up.

Needs to impose himself more, but we have choices of his guile; pace and maverick-like what is going to happen next of Elia and Mane or more direct stronger running of Long at our disposal to feed off Pelle. .

Midfield needs to weigh in with more meaningful shots on target though.

Goooò Maya (and Saints)!

Will be a hard game but the team has the qualities to win and plays out of a good organisation.

Will be plenty of us Japan Scrumboys watching the game in groups over here.

Go well, Southampton FC!