Nathaniel Clyne Joins Liverpool - Official

Saint Garrett

In Jeremy Wilsons latest telegraph article it says SFC want a clear indication from him that he wants to leave.

On doing so they will then say if thats the case, we want a transfer request and you will forego any owed bonus payments.

The club must be rightly peeved off as hes stringing them along and doing so just to fill his money bags.

Lallana was the same, wanted out but wouldnt transfer request until we turned the screw on him and he melted.

Tbh after 26 pages of 'will he won't he' I just want it done. Whichever way.

Unless it's about wages, his best option is Saints where he will get guaranteed first team football. If he wants the wages he's welcome to go and watch his arse turn square polishing the bench somewhere else

In Jeremy Wilsons latest telegraph article it says SFC want a clear indication from him that he wants to leave.

On doing so they will then say if thats the case, we want a transfer request and you will forego any owed bonus payments.

The club must be rightly peeved off as hes stringing them along and doing so just to fill his money bags.

Lallana was the same, wanted out but wouldnt transfer request until we turned the screw on him and he melted.

Didn't he run down his contract at Palace before joining us? If so, aren't Saints being rather hypocritical? As long as he gives his best in every match, he has every right to run down his contract. He kept his end of the bargain, and has no obligation to sign a new contract or hand in a transfer request.

Didn't he run down his contract at Palace before joining us? If so, aren't Saints being rather hypocritical? As long as he gives his best in every match, he has every right to run down his contract. He kept his end of the bargain, and has no obligation to sign a new contract or hand in a transfer request.

Yes, he does. However, I don't think it is appropriate to try to force a transfer without putting in a transfer request. I admit it is quite common, but that doesn't make it right.

What have Saints said or done that is hypocritical regarding Clyne?

Agree if he leaves at the end of the contract but as Redslo said different if he is pushing for a move.

What have Saints said or done that is hypocritical regarding Clyne?

If Wilson is correct they don't want him to run down his contract, in order to get a good fee now. On top of that they want him to forgo bonus payments. Palace got none of that and we benefitted then.

Yes, he does. However, I don't think it is appropriate to try to force a transfer without putting in a transfer request. I admit it is quite common, but that doesn't make it right.

I haven't heard anything about Clyne pushing for a move now, only that he won't sign a new contract. But if he is, I agree he should hand in a transfer request.

If Wilson is correct they don't want him to run down his contract, in order to get a good fee now. On top of that they want him to forgo bonus payments. Palace got none of that and we benefitted then.

Dont really understand how that is hypocritical.

If Liverpool or Man United came in with twenty million tomorrow, do you think Clyne would be quite as keen to run his contract down?

He had a very ineffective spell in the latter third of the season. Most of the comments about his performance inferred that he was making sure he didn't get injured before the end of the season. Unless he signs a contract and commits himself I think it's time to move him on for the best price.

I wouldn't be surprised if the England Liverpool connection hasn't been in full tapping up mode during the international break. Reducing our exposure to the England connection would be no bad thing. I suspect that Toby has had the same treatment from the Belgium Premier connections.

Personally I don't have a problem with him running his contract down so long as he gives 100% for the term of the contract. At the end of the day isn't that what a contract is? I suppose we could say that Koeman is running his contract down and no ones complaining about that. Equally, those of us with mortgages are running those contracts down too, no ones saying, "come on wollwich, re sign me for another 5 years"

Personally I don't have a problem with him running his contract down so long as he gives 100% for the term of the contract. At the end of the day isn't that what a contract is? I suppose we could say that Koeman is running his contract down and no ones complaining about that. Equally, those of us with mortgages are running those contracts down too, no ones saying, "come on wollwich, re sign me for another 5 years"

Except that Koeman doesn't have to worry about injuring himself and losing a big pay day if he gives his all right up until the end of his contract.

I doubt Saints are insisting he put in a transfer request to avoid paying bonuses. If he runs down his contract we get nothing and we have already turned down £10m from Liverpool. What they want is for Clyne to say I am signing or I am not signing. If the latter they will sell him now.

Transfer request required and we turned down £7M with add ons to £9m

If true Liverpool really do take the p*ss don't they, Leak an offer to the press and it turns out to contain add ons that still equates to less than the fee in the papers.

They did it with Lovren and Lallana last year.

Whereas with Shaw and United, we never had any of this.

I have heard from someone connected with the club that Clyne is going no where and wants to stay. Sorry but that's the only info I have.

Pretty sure he would of signed the contract offered to him 6 months ago if that was the case,I don't claim to know anything but it seems to me he is off and if nobody meets our valuation for him he will run it down and move next summer for free

Hmmm Metro - how much do they know.....http://metro.co.uk/2015/06/23/liverpool-agree-to-pay-southamptons-15m-asking-price-to-seal-nathaniel-clyne-transfer-5258753/

Nothing, that article is merely a rehash of other reports. They link to the article it is based on and it is this...

http://www.squawka.com/news/liverpool-transfer-round-up-firmino-is-close-reds-agree-to-meet-saints-asking-price-for-clyne/403225

Which is also a rehash of other reports and it links to this...

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/585831/Manchester-City-50m-Bid-Raheem-Sterling-Liverpool-Transfer-News

So basically the Tuesday Metro article you've linked to is a retelling of a story in the Sunday Express. The Metro often does these follow the trail articles, as its journalist have no contacts of their own and you end up finding the story is a rehash from an older story in other publications.

Hmmm Metro - how much do they know.....http://metro.co.uk/2015/06/23/liverpool-agree-to-pay-southamptons-15m-asking-price-to-seal-nathaniel-clyne-transfer-5258753/

Not a lot, I like their crossword in the morning though.

I don't know one way or another whether the Metro report is true, but it could be a clever tactic by Saints if they have accepted Liverhampton's £15m bid.

They have basically said to him that without signing a new contract he is not much use to them long-term, so they will be happy to sell him for their asking price and realise his value.

If he doesn't fancy Liverpool it throws the ball firmly into his court to either sign a new deal or they sell him to Liverhampton, or he gambles on waiting for United to come in.

I don't know one way or another whether the Metro report is true, but it could be a clever tactic by Saints if they have accepted Liverhampton's £15m bid.

They have basically said to him that without signing a new contract he is not much use to them long-term, so they will be happy to sell him for their asking price and realise his value.

If he doesn't fancy Liverpool it throws the ball firmly into his court to either sign a new deal or they sell him to Liverhampton, or he gambles on waiting for United to come in.

Or he could just not sign for us or Liverpool and run his contract down.

I agree with Toomer. We should force the hand. If Cedric shows promise then Clyne should play back up to Cedric until he shows he is committed to the club by signing s contract to stay. Otherwise risk missing out on the Euros. However, I think it is all hypothetical myself as the domino effect will start once a big deal is landed and Saints will get nearer their asking price

The club has very few levers in these situations to make things happen. The player controls the situation, the club has a choice between selling him to the highest bidder to a club that the player is happy to go to or keep him and risk him not signing a new contract and walking next summer. Personally i think that the threat of not playing him will have no bearing on the situation.

Clyne will do what he wants, if he wants to run down his contract he will, he may decide that a move is his best option if the deal is good. If the money is good at Liverpool then Clyne will end up there, he may wait for United to show an interest but not to the point where he scuppers the Liverpool deal.