Nathaniel Clyne Joins Liverpool - Official

Saint Garrett

Meh he was stuggling since January. Good price for the length of his contract, same discussion going on in the press re the value of Charlie Austin.

Downside is we now need to sign ANOTHER RB. Toby (if only) and Maya really aren't as effective at getting forward in the way we need them to. Don't think McCarthy is quite ready yet considering we will hopefully have to play about 50 matches this coming season

Meh he was stuggling since January. Good price for the length of his contract, same discussion going on in the press re the value of Charlie Austin.

Downside is we now need to sign ANOTHER RB. Toby (if only) and Maya really aren't as effective at getting forward in the way we need them to. Don't think McCarthy is quite ready yet considering we will hopefully have to play about 50 matches this coming season

Can Stephens play RB?

Can Stephens play RB?

He can, he can also cover CM. But he's primarily a centre back. He did have a storming season at Swindon, and I would imagine he'll be part of the squad to some degree next year.

In my opinion, the '2nd' right back requirement rests on the Toby situation. If Toby signs, I don't think we'll get another RB. Sure, Toby isn't as influential at right back - but he's still bloody solid and does a job. I reckon if we get Toby, we've covered 3 positions in one shot. That's why I think he could be the most important signing of the summer.

Sorry I don't know my Southampton history but was that three broken legs or two?

Campbell Forsyth was Saints keeper in the promotion season in 1966 and in the early months in Division 1 (Premier League now) He broke his leg against Liverpool following a collision with I think Ian Callaghan. I was there. The other references are not about him, merely that I was at Wembley for the Cup Final and Charity Shield in 76 and the League Cup Final in 79. BTW it's worth looking into the history!

He can, he can also cover CM. But he's primarily a centre back. He did have a storming season at Swindon, and I would imagine he'll be part of the squad to some degree next year.

In my opinion, the '2nd' right back requirement rests on the Toby situation. If Toby signs, I don't think we'll get another RB. Sure, Toby isn't as influential at right back - but he's still bloody solid and does a job. I reckon if we get Toby, we've covered 3 positions in one shot. That's why I think he could be the most important signing of the summer.

I think Reed was quoted as saying Stephens and Turnbull would go back out on loan next season but to a Championship side.

To me this is like a girl leaving you for a guy who is taller, richer and better looking.

You can see why she did it... but she can still f**k off.

Richer maybe, better looking? Anfield is an ugly old **** hole and so is the area around it and better is also arguable hes moving from 7th to 6th.

Scousers can hoot all they like about their league titles and champions leagues, but they aren't getting near that again for years, nor have they for years aside that fluke season last year.

Sad to see him go but he's gone for money nothing more, he'll jump ship to an actual club that challenges stuff if he improves in a few years. We'll probably be talking about Liverpool trying to by Cedric next season.

Another scatter gun transfer policy again this by Liverpool, they'll do no better than last year. They are are essentially doing what Spurs did post Bale, but twice, frittering money on lots of players who are good, but with no idea who their best team is, no team cohesion and no real stand out match winners.

Sign for Saints, play well, get picked for England, get tapped up, head turned, sign for Liverpool.

I think the FA should investigate; two is a coincidence, three a conspiracy, four criminal

When did Lovren play for England?

I think Reed was quoted as saying Stephens and Turnbull would go back out on loan next season but to a Championship side.

Wonder if that was before or after we determined we were in the Europa? Stephens really can't be too far away from being ready now, seems an age ago he was playing for Plymouth in league 2.

Liverpool got a good deal and we've lost a class RB.

Let's hope Ron has a quality backup in his sights.

We already signed him. Echo says we might not sign another RB, which would be a big mistake, especially if we don't have Toby and potentially have more Europa games.

RB the only position there is virtually nobody from the U21s that is nearly good enough.

Don't really care about Clyne leaving. Like it or not but Liverpool is a step up from us. He will be & indeed has already been replaced. I think RK may know a bit more about what the plan for the season ahead is than the ****tards on here, if he's happy for NC to leave then so be it.

I'm not going to justify my loyalty to saints (as seems the thing to do nowadays if you don't toe the party line)

I guess he just decided he'd rather play first team football at Liverpool than sit on the bench at Saints. Says it all about the direction of travel for both clubs. Wouldn't be surprised if Saints are already discussing terms with his replacement

why would he sit on the saints bench? he really wouldnt

We knew this was coming. Its happened. Its now history. Bit peeved at how much we are getting and Liverpool seeming to think they can just click their fingers and our players come running with little resistance, but outside my sphere of influence.

Far, far, FAR more worried about losing Toby to Levy and those arrogant pr*cks in North London.

We knew this was coming. Its happened. Its now history. Bit peeved at how much we are getting and Liverpool seeming to think they can just click their fingers and our players come running with little resistance, but outside my sphere of influence.

Far, far, FAR more worried about losing Toby to Levy and those arrogant pr*cks in North London.

Chins up, chubs.

In signing Cedric, I think RK would've seen it as we then had 2 RB's of similar quality to compete for a first team place.

I doubt an established premier league and now england player would sit on the bench. not over a non established foreign player

it would be bizarre if we do not replace clyne

Jenkinson would be my hope

I personally don't rate Jenkinson at all but then again, I haven't seen a great deal of him.

On another board I post on there's a sporting fan who says Soares was a steal and thinks he'll slot in no problem. Hopefully he's right!

Edit: this is what he had to say on Soares;

He's only about 5'6'', because of that he's great at getting forward and getting involved in the passing/attacking play up and down the right hand side. He got sent off in the Portuguese cup final but it was uncharacteristic of him as it was his first ever sending off so in that respect he is a very level headed player. I doubt he'll chip in with as many goals as Clyne. He looked very solid defensively for us this season so he will slot straight into your back line with ease, it's an exciting signing and I wish him well

Thanks Nathaniel. Great player for us, has played his part and earned his move. Goes with my best wishes but a shame he's chosen to go to Liverpool. Would have thought better teams would have been interested. Especially for an initial outlay of £10m for an English full back.

Can't help think that we (and Clyne for that matter) were holding out to see if other clubs (i.e. ManUre) came in, then the bidding war would up the price. Hasn't happened, we know he's in his last year so we took what we could get.

As much as if irks me that it's Liverpool, I wish him all the best. He did 3 seasons with us and was fantastic in that time. We've certainly made good money on him and lets not forget he's not replaceable (it was only 18 months ago people were saying Chambers was better).

If we're going to push the boat out and sign a centre back for £15m I'd be banging my head against a table if he played right-back for us. If we sign Toby and he is fit' date=' lets play him at centre back please, no matter what.[/quote']

Well, we won't, will we?

Cedric will be first choice right back for us. If Toby comes in he offers us a primary centre back, as well as suitable cover in midfield and right back. Although he's not as influencial at full back, he's still pretty solid in my opinion. He played in the world cup as a right back, so having him as cover in that position is more than good enough.

Now, if we don't sign Toby I do expect us to get another RB.

Well, we won't, will we?

Cedric will be first choice right back for us. If Toby comes in he offers us a primary centre back, as well as suitable cover in midfield and right back. Although he's not as influencial at full back, he's still pretty solid in my opinion. He played in the world cup as a right back, so having him as cover in that position is more than good enough.

Now, if we don't sign Toby I do expect us to get another RB.

It makes no sense to have a £15m centre back and play him at right back when our first choice right-back is injured and he doesn't have any backup. It significantly weakens our team.