Nathaniel Clyne Joins Liverpool - Official

Saint Garrett

Corrected that for you

if we are the next level down, how come our players (4 in two seasons) will leave for a club on our same level.?

we are below spurs and liverpool. They can pay significantly more than us in wages and fees, they can have far stronger squads than us also

i'd say we are the same level as Swansea, stoke, newcastle, maybe everton.

Edited by Batman

Southampton agreeing a fee is one thing. The player agreeing personal terms is another. Maybe Saints are pushing this deal? Maybe Saints are tired of waiting? We really don't know what goes on behind the scenes. Remember when Clyne was rested?? Maybe Koeman is fed up with this big time Charlie?? I know I am. I will be glad when Morgan and Clyne are history. People soon lose themselves when they have money.

I won't be glad when they are history, but I agree that I will be glad when this all is finalised so that we can move on. As for being dropped for that match, I would love to know the reason. We can all speculate, probably along the same lines as each other, but...

Southampton agreeing a fee is one thing. The player agreeing personal terms is another. Maybe Saints are pushing this deal? Maybe Saints are tired of waiting? We really don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

Im surprised none of the top four want a young England International for £10m. Cant help thinking they and Saints know something we dont.

Gets more like the Greek debt negotiations every day. I`ve reached the point where I just want Clyne to go - enough is enough. As for Morgan, in a way I hope the future works out for him and he will at least leave us (if he does) with the acknowledgement of what he has contributed over the years.

Clyne was great for Saints... but he was becoming a one-trick pony with roasting a player on the outside and a bending back cross being his display-of-choice... I reckon the "biggest" clubs see this [ as does Woy ] and he is not ticking their boxes. Liverpool on the other hand have one of the poorest scouting systems in the Universe and they would not know or care about such matters. I know he is/was a highly rated played for us and I would rather see him stay that go , but if I am honest he is not the player many think he is and will become increasing sussed out in the Prem and certainly will not get the freedom he had at Saints when he is at Liverpool. The guy is still developing and if he had any sense he would have signed a two year extension back in January and then left in a years time or..... left this summer on a considerably better personal deal. He has been badly advised. From our point of view, so long as we have another player in that position who is comfortable higher up the pitch then we will be fine. Also if we replace players like Toby , Morgan , Clyne etc etc then we have to accept that we are still in a building process and a modest step back this coming season to take two steps forward the next is not a negative proposition.

chelsea, arsenal and city don't need him

united, I am surprised about

I'm not, Clyne is a good full back but not a great one until his distribution improves to the very top level. Gary Neville was saying that Clyne wasn't considered quite good enough on the ball and that's from someone inside the England set up. Add in Clyne's droppings (cue someone making a joke) for Saints and England - which hints at some attitudinal issues - and you can see he might still have some developing to do all-round.

Clearly, the player feels he can do this developing at Liverpool on more money - or perhaps feels he doesn't need to make these improvements? We've signed Cedric and clearly need to sign another RB before pre-season gets seriously underway if the deal for Toby continues to be protracted but if we get the projected £12-15m for Clyne that should be very straightforward to do quickly. So should be good business for Saints.

From the player's perspective - seeing as the VMan/Lallana had a moan about this - I'd imagine Clyne will do what he's done with us and Palace and have a couple of good years and then move to Chelsea/Arsenal/Man U/City, as barring a collapse from at least two of those clubs, I don't see Liverpool anywhere near the top 4 in that time. He won't be able to dip in form like he has done in the second half of the last two seasons though!

How come the BBC are reporting Liverpool have made another bid ( no mention of saints excepting that I can see) yet yesterday it was supposedly a done deal?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33272451

It was Sky who jumped on the done deal story, BBC never posted anything until that Ben Smith article today. The BBC were saying yesterday that stories of it being a ''done deal'' weren't the case. It will happen, obviously, but it's never really as sky claim. always jumping the gun to break a story.

It was Sky who jumped on the done deal story, BBC never posted anything until that Ben Smith article today. The BBC were saying yesterday that stories of it being a ''done deal'' weren't the case. It will happen, obviously, but it's never really as sky claim. always jumping the gun to break a story.

Fair enough I guess I just hate this time of year.

First Clyne to Man U was all done then it wasn't then he had signed for Liverpool only he hadn't. Morgan has been within hours of signing for Spurs, Arsenal and Man U already this season. We apparently tabled a 10 million bid for Austin and then apparently didn't. Just feels like half the journos are just making **** up and passing off as fact. No doubt buried some where among all the rumours and lies is the truth.:rolleyes:

First Clyne to Man U was all done then it wasn't then he had signed for Liverpool only he hadn't. Morgan has been within hours of signing for Spurs, Arsenal and Man U already this season. We apparently tabled a 10 million bid for Austin and then apparently didn't. Just feels like half the journos are just making **** up and passing off as fact. No doubt buried some where among all the rumours and lies is the truth.:rolleyes:

They have to, what else can they talk about on their 24 hour news channel otherwise??

The Sky Sources crap makes me laugh though. I noticed on their website that according to ''Sky Sources'' Toby has 3 options. Stay at Atletcio, Move to saints, or be sold to the highest bidder. Can anyone explain exactly why you'd need Sky Sources to confirm the most obvious of statements?

They have to, what else can they talk about on their 24 hour news channel otherwise??

The Sky Sources crap makes me laugh though. I noticed on their website that according to ''Sky Sources'' Toby has 3 options. Stay at Atletcio, Move to saints, or be sold to the highest bidder. Can anyone explain exactly why you'd need Sky Sources to confirm the most obvious of statements?

yeah sky sources are probably some guy spending the day reading forums like this and then making an article out of it.

Seriously you only just figured this out! Sports journalists make things up to sell papers or get people watching it happens all the time ignore 99% of the speculation as that is all it is! Toby was going to Chelsea last week then staying with us and now he has signed for spurs apparently while in reality he has been getting married and going on honeymoon and is probably having far to much fun with his new wife to be taking calls from his agent!

Seriously you only just figured this out! Sports journalists make things up to sell papers or get people watching it happens all the time ignore 99% of the speculation as that is all it is!

I think you'll find a lot of it is based in fact actually. How many on here said last year's 'exodus' stuff was made up, and how many of those players actually left? Near enough all of them.

His transfer to Liverpool appears to be done and dusted but before he goes there, I hope he is aware that they already have a young up and coming full back in Jon Flanagan,who is back to fitness after a lengthy injury. He is a local lad, a scouser through and through and loved by the fans. Before Rodgers manages to destroy yet another ex Saints player's career NC needs to be aware!

I've always liked him but to go somewhere that does not offer Champions League and to find he has strong competition........ must be just the money I suppose?!

Good business for us though, so I can live with it - just hope it's not another futile wasted career move?!

And obviously Hodgson is not convinced yet!

Can anyone e-mail him with a link to this thread? Just to be sure.

In all seriousness, if he wants to go he wants to go, not much Soton can do about it. If he wants a first team spot and thinks he can get it there with the addition of money out the wazoo then fair play to him if he wants to take that risk.

Quite a few people have said they thought Clyne's game had deteriorated as the season went on. If he isn't quite the player he was last autumn, it's probably in his best interests to move now while a big wage packet is still on offer.

Just hope it all goes titsup if he goes to them.

Seriously hate the scousers nowdays.

Don't. Scousers in the end have little to do with it - it's a bunch of rich Americans with somewhat minimal input from an Irishman. The Americans knowing next to nothing about football have probably decided that purchasing "Saints" is the holiest and therefore best and safest way to go. I mean that's probably as good a theory as any, don't ya think?

I think you'll find a lot of it is based in fact actually. How many on here said last year's 'exodus' stuff was made up, and how many of those players actually left? Near enough all of them.

No it isn't. If you link all of our decent players with all of the top clubs, the law of averages says that at the end of the day a pretty small percentage will turn out to be correct.

But fair play to you for being brave enough to stand up for your fellow journalists.

Don't. Scousers in the end have little to do with it - it's a bunch of rich Americans with somewhat minimal input from an Irishman. The Americans knowing next to nothing about football have probably decided that purchasing "Saints" is the holiest and therefore best and safest way to go. I mean that's probably as good a theory as any, don't ya think?

No it isn't. They believe they are in the process of putting together a good recruitment department that will reliably sign good young players and develop them to the point where they can qualify regularly for the Champions League. They believe this will allow them to retain some or most of these good players because they will be able to offer champions League football and salaries that are in the top ten world wide.

They are strong believers in Moneyball and analytics and they think that with financial fair play rules in effect they will be able to compete with Manchester United and the other rich clubs by being nearly as rich, but smarter.

So far their plan has not been a success, but it has not been a complete failure either. It will look less good if they do not qualify for the Champions League this year. If that happens they will probably fire Rogers and replace him with someone who gets less input into recruitment. This is moderately informed speculation based upon how they run the Boston Red Sox. Having said that, in recent years, the plan has not worked as well as expected with the Red Sox either so they may be over estimating their ability to hire the right people.

Correct Me If I'm Wrong but Clyne is a right back right?

alderweireld is a centre back but plays right back for belgium, dan harding was a left back but played right back in the jpt final, clyne is a right back but covered at left back as a last resort.

we're left with targett and yoshida as back up for bertrand afaik. yoshida has never impressed in that capacity.

alderweireld is a centre back but plays right back for belgium, dan harding was a left back but played right back in the jpt final, clyne is a right back but covered at left back as a last resort.

we're left with targett and yoshida as back up for bertrand afaik. yoshida has never impressed in that capacity.

But Targett has, so problem solved.

Which is plenty. Targett is a good enough left back to get in a PL side in his own right. Yoshida may not be great there, but then which team's second reserve is?

Which is plenty. Targett is a good enough left back to get in a PL side in his own right. Yoshida may not be great there, but then which team's second reserve is?

one long term injury and we're relying on a kid all season and we know what koeman has to say about playing kids week in week out.

i think we're light tbh.

No it isn't. They believe they are in the process of putting together a good recruitment department that will reliably sign good young players and develop them to the point where they can qualify regularly for the Champions League. They believe this will allow them to retain some or most of these good players because they will be able to offer champions League football and salaries that are in the top ten world wide.

They are strong believers in Moneyball and analytics and they think that with financial fair play rules in effect they will be able to compete with Manchester United and the other rich clubs by being nearly as rich, but smarter.

So far their plan has not been a success, but it has not been a complete failure either. It will look less good if they do not qualify for the Champions League this year. If that happens they will probably fire Rogers and replace him with someone who gets less input into recruitment. This is moderately informed speculation based upon how they run the Boston Red Sox. Having said that, in recent years, the plan has not worked as well as expected with the Red Sox either so they may be over estimating their ability to hire the right people.

Yes I agree, an excellent and thoughtful response.

However, just to clarify matters I was being a tad facetious in my last couple of sentences thereby including the part you highlighted. The main issue for me was the "seriously hating Scousers" part of the post. Probably svetipung doesn't really mean it but on reflection it does serve to spotlight the fact that we fans in the final analysis have to face the fact we don't really count in the general run of things - this side of boycotting matches, not buying merchandise inclusive of Sky etc. en masse that is. Big business has hijacked the game we love because of its all pervading global appeal and that being the case oligarchs some of whom know very little if anything about the game now basically own it, indeed it has become their very own plaything and Clubs such as the Saints now exist to basically groom their future stars, which season on season they now come along and cherry pick dispensing their millions on the plate.

As a parallel to this I now read the Saints could be a reported £57 mill in debt? IF true, where have the oligarch's millions gone? Big business plays its big business games? It would possibly appear that way.

They can have the greatest recruitment department in the world, but will not succeed while they still have Brenda as manager, either in terms of the first team winning, or developing players. I hope he stays there as long as possible, because once they replace him they will probably find success easier to come by.

Does anyone know how we got to this point, having been in a position a few weeks ago of him having moved agents and ready to sign a new contract the following week...from the mouth of both Reed and Koeman?!

At a guess I'd say it was something to do with being led up garden paths.

Does anyone know how we got to this point, having been in a position a few weeks ago of him having moved agents and ready to sign a new contract the following week...from the mouth of both Reed and Koeman?!

Its all manoeuvring by each party, the press is just used by everyone as part of their game plan. Not every thing you hear even the direct quotes actually reflects the truth.

At £12.5m that is a very good signing for a relatively young England Intl with quite a bit of PL experience and a good injury record.

Sure he will do well there, hopefully Cedric can replicate Clyne's form of the last two seasons. Good fullbacks a great asset to any team.