Nathaniel Clyne Joins Liverpool - Official

Saint Garrett

Funny how you can all of a sudden dislike a bloke intensely. I hope he's as successful as the other lot who went there.

Why? He hasn't said anything disparaging about us and has handled himself well imo. I don't hope he is successful but u don't dislike him. He hasn't been like Adam.

Why? He hasn't said anything disparaging about us and has handled himself well imo. I don't hope he is successful but u don't dislike him. He hasn't been like Adam.

Look at the boots and the ghey bag and the tw*tty face he's pulling. Yep I dislike him.

Can't knock him for choosing this move. Nor club replacing him with player who has similar level of international experience, younger and will save on wages plus best part of £10m profit.

Think new RB and £10m spent elsewhere on team could improve us....

I wish him the best if he goes.

Having said this, we've done the big clubs so many times I find myself disappointed when anything close to a fair price is negotiated. £12.5m in this situation is very good, but... my God I wanted to do them over again. £15m up front, 1 year on contract or no. Maybe I am dreaming but after all this is the £35m Andy Carroll club.

Why? He hasn't said anything disparaging about us and has handled himself well imo.

In terms of the actual move, I'd agree, but the effort and application he put into his performances from January onwards when it was clear he wanted to leave have been ****-poor IMO, and I suspect it's that which cost him a move to Man United and Champions League football, so he's shot himself in the foot in that regard.

I guess if we're being picky, it would have been nice of him to actually grow a pair and actually tell the club he didn't want to sign a new contract rather than just refuse to respond to the offers put on the table.

In terms of the actual move, I'd agree, but the effort and application he put into his performances from January onwards when it was clear he wanted to leave have been ****-poor IMO, and I suspect it's that which cost him a move to Man United and Champions League football, so he's shot himself in the foot in that regard.

I guess if we're being picky, it would have been nice of him to actually grow a pair and actually tell the club he didn't want to sign a new contract rather than just refuse to respond to the offers put on the table.

Well yes I can see that point of view but I think it's difficult to prove that his poor performances are due to a lack of effort rather than a dropoff in form. Regarding your second point, I presume you know something I don't about Clyne not responding to offers. If that is the case then yes I agree, but it must have been obvious to the club that he didn't want to sign some time ago. Why all the leaks about being positive he will sign?

Regarding your second point, I presume you know something I don't about Clyne not responding to offers. If that is the case then yes I agree, but it must have been obvious to the club that he didn't want to sign some time ago. Why all the leaks about being positive he will sign?

Nothing other than reading between the lines - Koeman stated in various press conferences that there was a deadline of [whenever], and then when that deadline came and went, he'd then be quoted saying there was a new deadline. That doesn't suggest that the offer was rejected, just that they didn't get a response.

If you look at the signings he is joining it doesn't exactly make you think they are going to be pushing for top 4, average british players some not even in the england squad and an untested brazilian who might need time to settle. Hopefully our signings turn out better than theres.

It might have been obvious to the club, but it would have been foolhardy to have gone and signed replacements just for him to turn around and sign an extension. He is of course within his right to do what he likes, not least because he was under contract, and in the words of MP, I don't know what all the fuss is as I've still got a year to go on my contract. However, one might have thought that there would be a mutual respect between both parties that intentions could have been made clear earlier.

As for his performances, I have to agree that they tailed off a bit. We presume that there was some attitude problems that meant him dropping to the bench vs Hull. AFAIK there was and has never been an explanation for that as he wasn't injured and there was no tactical reason to do so, quite the opposite in fact. I would also say that the same accusation of a drop off in performance might be levelled at Morgan, as I felt was better the season before the one just gone, and that of the two, Wanyama really stepped up to the plate. But this is all largely subjective and you'll get differing opinions whoever you talk to.

You just don't know if any of that happened.

If you look at the signings he is joining it doesn't exactly make you think they are going to be pushing for top 4, average british players some not even in the england squad and an untested brazilian who might need time to settle. Hopefully our signings turn out better than theres.

Odd statement there. Bogdan aside; Liverpool's have done rather well so far. Milner is a player that defines the term boring, but he hasnt played for England 54 times by being a ****e player. Ings and Gomez are up and coming players, the former someone a lot on here would have creamed themselves had we purchased. Firmino is, on paper, a cracker of a signing. Add Clyne to that and I would be rather happy if I was a 'Pool fan.

Clyne will walk straight into their side. However, it lookslike they are stockpiling strikers again, if they get Benteke and Sturridge gets fit then Ings can look forward to playing a similar role to Lambert last season.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Odd statement there. Bogdan aside; Liverpool's have done rather well so far. Milner is a player that defines the term boring, but he hasnt played for England 54 times by being a ****e player. Ings and Gomez are up and coming players, the former someone a lot on here would have creamed themselves had we purchased. Firmino is, on paper, a cracker of a signing. Add Clyne to that and I would be rather happy if I was a 'Pool fan.

Personally I don't get the fuss about Ings. Sure, he runs around a lot, but his finishing isn't up to much. I don't see how he improves under a manager who doesn't seem to have improved a single player in his three years in charge, especially when he's not going to be playing every week.

Firmino should be good, but depends on how he settles and how Rodgers (ab)uses him.

Footballer in poor fashion sense shocker. Odd reason to dislike him and TBH if you feel like that you probably hate the majority of footballers!

Actually Hypo I'm not being totally serious, just expressing how many of us football fans will change our opinion of a player when they leave. It's not rational I know but when are football fans rational?

Thanks for the lecture though. :p

Personally I don't get the fuss about Ings. Sure, he runs around a lot, but his finishing isn't up to much. I don't see how he improves under a manager who doesn't seem to have improved a single player in his three years in charge, especially when he's not going to be playing every week.

Firmino should be good, but depends on how he settles and how Rodgers (ab)uses him.

Said this when we were being linked with him. Not as good as Austin, that's for sure, and it's debateable whether he's better than other strikers along the lines of Ulloa.

I think if we played Shane Long up top all season he'd be as good.

David Nugent with nobs on.

I'd put it down to Saints playing with wide players up front that we signed, so that Clyne wasn't getting forward so much, but your theory could explain his being dropped against Hull and Hodgson's incoherent explanation for dropping him for England.

I don't remember David Nugent as a 22 year old scoring 11 Premier League goals in a season.

Twas tongue in cheek a little bit. The comparison is superficial. They both run fast with their heads down and seem quite one footed. Beyond that, they could be chalk and cheese for all I know, which obviously isn't much.

Agree with the first part of your post, his form dropped off badly after January although I think it did the previous year as well around the same time, which IIRC was attributed to the effects of MP's pressing game which relied heavily on the full backs for width. I would partially concur about that costing him a move to one of the CL top level clubs like Man U but also his distribution is felt to be below the very top level expected at present. Gary Neville hinted at it before one of Saints' TV games last season. If his new manager wasn't Rodgers, I'd be more confident of him improving that aspect.

Not so fussed about the other aspect unless it's cost Saints money, I suspect they took a lower fee than they'd sought in return for waiving of some bonuses etc

Re: Ings, bit early to tell but 11 goals in a Burnley side who struggled to create chances all season and when he missed the early part of the season through injury, is impressive. Not often I agree with MLG! Can't help thinking with their glut of strikers (does Rodgers ever learn?) though that he's wasted a key part of his career though signing for them as cheap back-up. Would have been better to have gone somewhere else, got 20 goals and gone as expensive first choice.

I'd put it down to Saints playing with wide players up front that we signed, so that Clyne wasn't getting forward so much, but your theory could explain his being dropped against Hull and Hodgson's incoherent explanation for dropping him for England.

Perhaps, but I don't think Bertrand's contribution dropped at any stage last season. We never really played with out-and-out wingers last season (possibly on isolated occasions, but not for any prolonged period) so there was always space for both of them to get forward. I don't know whether it was a lack of confidence (seems odd given the circumstances) or not being fully focused, but there were so many games where there would be pretty much the entire right flank for Clyne to run into, but he'd never make the run, preferring instead to hold his position or if he had the ball, check back inside and give it to someone else.

I would be happy to if I was looking forward to another season challenging for Europa league those signings wont help them break into the top 4 or compete in the CL

£2m due to Palace in sell on clauses. Pretty meagre initial fee for Saints, especially when you consider the Mings deal.

Entering last season of contract has a huge effect, as will probably be the case with the Wanyama transfer saga next summer and to our benefit in the cases of Juanmi and Soares.

£2m due to Palace in sell on clauses. Pretty meagre initial fee for Saints, especially when you consider the Mings deal.

Entering last season of contract has a huge effect, as will probably be the case with the Wanyama transfer saga next summer and to our benefit in the cases of Juanmi and Soares.

Would imagine this would be pretty high on a list of priorities this summer outside of transfers, if only to get a better fee next year.

Perhaps, but I don't think Bertrand's contribution dropped at any stage last season. We never really played with out-and-out wingers last season (possibly on isolated occasions, but not for any prolonged period) so there was always space for both of them to get forward. I don't know whether it was a lack of confidence (seems odd given the circumstances) or not being fully focused, but there were so many games where there would be pretty much the entire right flank for Clyne to run into, but he'd never make the run, preferring instead to hold his position or if he had the ball, check back inside and give it to someone else.

i remember talking about this with my lad a few months back. My son was getting frustrated by Clyne always holding back and not running the overlap. It was just after he played for England , so I put it down to Hodgson telling him to not attack.

i remember talking about this with my lad a few months back. My son was getting frustrated by Clyne always holding back and not running the overlap. It was just after he played for England , so I put it down to Hodgson telling him to not attack.

Not sure about that. He played in the November games against Slovenia and Scotland, but there wasn't a noticeable tail-off in performance until the end of the January transfer window. All through that good run after Christmas into the New Year, his performances were good. I guess it probably started with the Palace cup game at the end of January, although fair to say our whole back 4 were terrible that afternoon. The trend had already set in before the March internationals against Lithuania and Italy, IMO - the latter of which he was particularly awful.

I think some of Clynes second half of last seasons loss in form was down to burnout from playing too many games.

This

I think his head was in the right place and defencively he was reliable all season, but there's a few games where I just thought he just looked absolutely ****ged

You don't hear rugby players (or other professional sportspeople) moaning about burnout. If 180 minutes a week is too much perhaps they should lay off the golf courses....

Let's face it, Hazard, who is the same age as Clyne, seemingly didn't suffer from burnout. I know each person is different, but ignoring internationals, so just league and cups

Hazard played 52 games (4430 minutes) vs Clyne 41 games (3686 minutes) over a 9 month stretch.

good deal alround really. Bought him for £2 million (?) since when he's developed into a player good enough for England, (whatever that means nowadays) .and we bank £10 mill.(after Palace get their cut) ......and all this for a player who could walk away for £0 next summer.

Fairly satisfied with his time at SMS, and the move obviously suits everyone.

A single player?

I can think of a few. Henderson for example was considered a flop when Rodgers turned up and now looks set to become captain. Sturridge another flop at Chelsea, who injury problems aside has a very good goal scoring record. Sterling looks set to move to Man City for £50m

A little less bias wouldn't hurt. Clyne is joining a better team and a bigger club

A single player?

I can think of a few. Henderson for example was considered a flop when Rodgers turned up and now looks set to become captain. Sturridge another flop at Chelsea, who injury problems aside has a very good goal scoring record. Sterling looks set to move to Man City for £50m

A little less bias wouldn't hurt. Clyne is joining a better team and a bigger club

Fixed for accuracy: 'A little less bias wouldn't hurt. Clyne is joining a better squad on paper and a richer club.'

At £12.5m that is a very good signing for a relatively young England Intl with quite a bit of PL experience and a good injury record.

Sure he will do well there, hopefully Cedric can replicate Clyne's form of the last two seasons. Good fullbacks a great asset to any team.

The £12.5m doesn't seem to compare well with the £11m being bandied about as the fee to Toby. If it works out we get £12.5m for Clyne and get Toby for £11m, that would be good business in my book.