Summer 2015 Hcdajfu thread ?

simo

It would also be extremely short lived. We will probably be going into Saturday's game with zero academy players in the starting line up, from there to 5 or 6 in a Europa League qualifier is a far stretch of the imagination. Reed can say what he likes, Koeman's actions don't seem to back any of it up. At least Mauricio made an effort, didn't we have 5 or 6 academy players on the pitch at times last season ?.

Possibly. But that "5 or 6" would've included Lallana, Shaw and Chambers. It was hardly an effort for Pochettino. Koeman hasn't had the same luxury, so it's a nonsense comparison (imo).

But we sold them. MP was lucky to have that terrific crop of young players at his disposal. The level isn't quite as good at the moment, but academies fluctuate - you'll have good spells and leaner spells, but the foundation will always allow us to produce good players more often than not.

I think we'll see the likes of Stephens, McCarthy, Reed, JWP, Hesketh and co used in the Europa games (if we get there). It's the best way, for a club of our size, to ensure we don't over-stretch the entire squad. You can start playing the stronger teams when it gets serious, but when you're playing the local dog and duck from Lithuania you might as well give the kids a go.

Most clubs would love to be able to have the youth team supply their depth.

Oops. Ditto and all that (your post wasn't there when I started typing).

But we sold them. MP was lucky to have that terrific crop of young players at his disposal. The level isn't quite as good at the moment, but academies fluctuate - you'll have good spells and leaner spells, but the foundation will always allow us to produce good players more often than not.

I think we'll see the likes of Stephens, McCarthy, Reed, JWP, Hesketh and co used in the Europa games (if we get there). It's the best way, for a club of our size, to ensure we don't over-stretch the entire squad. You can start playing the stronger teams when it gets serious, but when you're playing the local dog and duck from Lithuania you might as well give the kids a go.

Most clubs would love to be able to have the youth team supply their depth.

If you think we would beat teams in the Europa league with 5/6 academy graduates you seriously underestimate the local dog and duck.

If you think we would beat teams in the Europa league with 5/6 academy graduates you seriously underestimate the local dog and duck.

If we qualified for the Europa League then we'd have a decent ranking courtesy of our nations co-efficient (rather than our own, which is non-existent :lol: ). Taking a look at the teams in Pot 4 in this years groups:

Dinamo Moscow (Rus)

FK Krasnodar (Rus)

NK Rijeka (Cro)

KSC Lokeren (Bel)

Asteras Tripolis (Gre)

Slovan Bratislava (Svk)

Apollon Limassol (Cyp)

Garabag Agdam (Azb)

HJK Helsinki (Fin)

Astra Giurgiu (Rom)

Dinamo Minsk (Bls)

AaB Aalborg (Den)

A half decent Saints team with players like Targett, Reed, JWP, and Stephens / Turnbull in it should be able to beat most of them, surely?

Possibly. But that "5 or 6" would've included Lallana, Shaw and Chambers. It was hardly an effort for Pochettino. Koeman hasn't had the same luxury, so it's a nonsense comparison (imo).

Obviously Koeman doesn't have the same quality at his disposal as MP, but even then I get the sense that MP would have shown greater faith in youth - its not MP only gave real game time to the stars - Gallagher being a good example. With our scoring woes, unprecedented injuries in midfield and the sale of Cork, RK has had every opportunity to give Reed, Gallagher and possibly Hesketh more game time. Even JWP (yes he had an injury), with another year under his belt, has featured less under RK than MP.

Edited by shurlock

Obviously Koeman doesn't have the same quality at his disposal as MP, but even then I get the sense that MP would have shown greater faith in youth - its not MP only gave real game time to the stars - Gallagher being a good example. With our scoring woes, unprecedented injuries in midfield and the sale of Cork, RK has had every opportunity to give Reed, Gallagher and possibly Hesketh more game time. Even JWP (yes he had an injury), with another year under his belt, has featured less under RK than MP.

Koeman started Hesketh away at Turf Moor...where his lack of body strength (which will come with time, I have no doubt) was promptly highlighted and he had to be stretchered off (in the first half). He hasn't featured since, which I can only assume is in some part due the reason stated above (lacking physical frame/needs protection). Ward-Prowse started under Pochettino but only because we had nothing in the right-sided midfield department, i.e. he was often deployed on the right flank (which, incidentally, is where I'd like to see him played for the time being). This year JWP has been played in his preferred position, AM and CM, and in spite of his injury which persisted for a couple of months (if I recall correctly), he's still made as many starts this season as he did last season. Reference Gallagher, after his dad's passing, I'm not sure what the heck happened. He's been injured, supposedly, but I get the impression that he needed some time out of the limelight anyway (understandably). Irrespective of this, Koeman has a choice between Mane/Pelle/Long and Sam '1 goal in 18 appearances' Gallagher (not a criticism of Gallagher, merely highlighting his current lack of goal-scoring record).

Point being, aside from not playing Reed as much as I would like, I can't really find fault with Koeman where youth-policy is concerned. Hesketh, Targett, Gape, Seagar, and McCarthy have all attained their debuts this year (albeit token for the latter three...I think...I can't remember...but they played! haha)

Edited by Donatello

Seems to be some tunnel vision around here, now in this thread we discuss players who have been linked with a move to Saints,there are 4 or 5 of them at least, mostly young players, a striker,Clasie,Vilhena a couple of AMs, a keeper. Reed is saying that we've no intention of selling players...yeah right and that for the purposes of a competition which starts in just a couple of months if we qualify in 6th or 7th place we'll be relying on academy players to make up the extra numbers required. Can no-one see that there is some sort of contradiction here? Either we're not selling and not buying or we're buying a few of the above targets and we won't need to use the academy players who can't get a game now in a few weeks time. It just doesn't make any sense.

Edited by Window Cleaner

No-one is suggested we play a youth team, just that they get game time over the competition. Starting 1 or having a couple of the bench is perfectly feasible. There are some very good teams in the Europa league, but there are some rubbish ones too.

I wouldn't throw in many defensive youth players other than Targett, but the attackers could all be useful, and Reed is becoming a regular part of the first team squad anyway.

There's no argument against fielding one youth player and having couple on the bench.. but our current crop are not that good.. hence the reason Koeman has not trusted them this year. So, don't suddenly think he's going to change just because we are in the Europa League.

Maybe mute point as I fancy Aston Villa for the Cup and we have not played well recently.. so Europe is a hope rather than an expectancy.

It would also be extremely short lived. We will probably be going into Saturday's game with zero academy players in the starting line up, from there to 5 or 6 in a Europa League qualifier is a far stretch of the imagination. Reed can say what he likes, Koeman's actions don't seem to back any of it up. At least Mauricio made an effort, didn't we have 5 or 6 academy players on the pitch at times last season ?.
You're on such a wind-up :lol: How many more academy players did MP give a debut to than Koeman for example? They've both taken exactly the same approach of playing the best team available to them.

Seems to be some tunnel vision around here, now in this thread we discuss players who have been linked with a move to Saints,there are 4 or 5 of them at least, mostly young players, a striker,Clasie,Vilhena a couple of AMs, a keeper. Reed is saying that we've no intention of selling players...yeah right and that for the purposes of a competition which starts in just a couple of months if we qualify in 6th or 7th place we'll be relying on academy players to make up the extra numbers required. Can no-one see that there is some sort of contradiction here? Either we're not selling and not buying or we're buying a few of the above targets and we won't need to use the academy players who can't get a game now in a few weeks time. It just doesn't make any sense.

I think its important to consider that we have quite a big scouting network and attend a lot of games monitoring lots of players. All a paper needs to do is find out what games we're attending (usually easily enough done as many clubs publish a scouting list of clubs in attendance) and then they can decide who we're looking at. It is also worth remembering that we will monitor players without a view to signing them unless someone leaves. The most extreme example is our Manager...right now we're monitoring Managers in case Koeman leaves. That is not to say we think he will or want him to of course, but should he leave for whatever reason we won't be starting from square one in our search for a replacement - we will already have lots of information on potential replacements. We take the same approach to players - say someone bids stupid money for Tadic and he wants to leave - if we accept we don't want to be starting to think about who to replace him, we want a list of potential replacements already drawn up. It's just a really sensible approach to recruitment. But it does mean there will be a lot of guff about us in the papers.

You're on such a wind-up :lol: How many more academy players did MP give a debut to than Koeman for example? They've both taken exactly the same approach of playing the best team available to them.

MP

Callum Chambers (debut and 1st start)

Sam Gallagher (debut and 1st start)

Harrison Reed

RK

Dominic Gape

Jake Hesketh (debut and 1st start)

Lloyd Isgrove

Jason McCarthy

Harrison Reed (1st start)

Ryan Seagar

Matt Targett (debut and 1st start)

Most from memory, had to double-check for Reed, don't quote me :D

Rusnak: http://talksport.com/football/exclusive-manchester-city-target-albert-rusnak-admits-he-would-be-interested-southampton

“I’ve been looking at how Southampton have been playing this season,” he told Hawskbee and Jacobs. “They are playing a style of football the top clubs in Holland are trying to play. They build from the back.

“Ronald Koeman’s doing a great job. We’ll see what the future holds.”

You can add Jake Sinclair and Omar Rowe to Pochettino as well. Isgrove belongs to him too. Assuming you are counting league and cup' date=' but I think you are with Seager on there.[/quote']

Also add mcqueen.

You can add Jake Sinclair and Omar Rowe to Pochettino as well. Isgrove belongs to him too. Assuming you are counting league and cup' date=' but I think you are with Seager on there.[/quote']

Just league. Seagar came on against Swansea.

You should let the club know they aren't that good.

Suppose it should be expected, fans start to expect Bales every year. Getting players near the first team squad is a good achievement, it takes time to go further than that. Reed and Targett have gained more experience this season, JWP has played a lot more, that's more than most premier league sides. There is great potential in the youth teams. Hesketh will be an excellent player and a fair few others have a chance. Utterly ridiculous to write them off.

Who's expecting Bales every year? Or this is just another opportunity to launch a strawman rant about other posters -and 'fans' in general. That you are happy to write off Djuriric after 2-3 games just goes to show the hypocrisy of your position.

Suppose it should be expected, fans start to expect Bales every year. Getting players near the first team squad is a good achievement, it takes time to go further than that. Reed and Targett have gained more experience this season, JWP has played a lot more, that's more than most premier league sides. There is great potential in the youth teams. Hesketh will be an excellent player and a fair few others have a chance. Utterly ridiculous to write them off.

Perhaps but what I can't seize off the bat is why we're (reportedly) looking at players like Vilhena if our own academy products of the same age are as good or better. Vilhena is what 20, 80 odd first team games at a no doubt inferior level

to the PL but would be serious competition for say Gape or Hesketh surely. In fact when you tot it up we are the top 8 side who have the least academy player minutes in the PL this season. The academy is much vaunted but we really need to start seeing some results that aren't sold after 1 good season.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Nobody is writing them off, but now we are a top six club so any youth player has to have the potential to be a top player. Agree, Hesketh has lots of ability but is not ready for the physicality of the EPL

Nobody is writing them off, but now we are a top six club so any youth player has to have the potential to be a top player. Agree, Hesketh has lots of ability but is not ready for the physicality of the EPL

Are we? Slightly premature me thinks to counted as a top six side we need to regularly finish in the ....errr...top six as yet we haven't even done it once.

Perhaps but what I can't seize off the bat is why we're (reportedly) looking at players like Vilhena if our own academy products of the same age are as good or better. Vilhena is what 20, 80 odd first team games at a no doubt inferior level

to the PL but would be serious competition for say Gape or Hesketh surely. In fact when you tot it up we are the top 8 side who have the least academy player minutes in the PL this season. The academy is much vaunted but we really need to start seeing some results that aren't sold after 1 good season.

Source, please. I'd love to do some reading on this.

Are we? Slightly premature me thinks to counted as a top six side we need to regularly finish in the ....errr...top six as yet we haven't even done it once.

I would say we're a Top 8 club now, but I agree that we're not Top 6 material yet. If we can get 6th this season that's great but we need to finish there at least next season as well to be considered at that level. Don't think Spurs will relinquish that 6th spot too easily either, they'll spend and strengthen in the summer whereas we'll have to find our feet on the European stage (hopefully) and maintain our league performance. Won't be easy.

It's not at all what I thought about Lovren. He had several dodgy games, he was woeful away to Spurs last season and while disappointed he left, he was ours to sell and we got great money. I think any Saints CB looks good with the help they get from Wanyama and Schneiderlin, and it seems other premier league managers, or just Rodgers don't realise this.

Alderweireld just seems a very consistent and high quality defender. Fonte has been great this year, my player of the year, BUT in terms of pure ability, Toby is our best defender, his positioning and decision making are way ahead of everyone else we've had, including Lovren.

Not that different than a year ago ..

quote=adriansfc;1943596]8m?! Yes, let's sell one of the league's best CBs who cost us that and is off to a world cup. How much was Sakho, because Lovren looks a fckload more composed! £20m.

Screw it, £18m plus Agger.

Lallana, £20m plus Coutinho.

Shaw, £33m plus Evra.

Lovren really is a fantastic CB. Positive aspect is that we'd never seen much of him last season and he'd had a poor time of it, so he might be replaceable. Would be gutted to lose him though.

Lovren is up there with Torben Piechnik, and Bjorn Tore Kvarme.

You pay £20 Million for a player, he should be excellent for that money.

Love the Liverpool site lol

Really we've had less than Chelsea and Man City? I guess Terry has played most games for Chelsea but he is 34 and hardly comparable to JWP or Reed just starting out in their careers. Which academy players have city played this season?

I would say we're a Top 8 club now, but I agree that we're not Top 6 material yet. If we can get 6th this season that's great but we need to finish there at least next season as well to be considered at that level. Don't think Spurs will relinquish that 6th spot too easily either, they'll spend and strengthen in the summer whereas we'll have to find our feet on the European stage (hopefully) and maintain our league performance. Won't be easy.

Yep we are certainly pushing for best of the rest in the PL but we need to push one of the other teams out of a regular top six position to be considered a top six side.

Not that different than a year ago ..

quote=adriansfc;1943596]8m?! Yes, let's sell one of the league's best CBs who cost us that and is off to a world cup. How much was Sakho, because Lovren looks a fckload more composed! £20m.

Screw it, £18m plus Agger.

Lallana, £20m plus Coutinho.

Shaw, £33m plus Evra.

Now, me and Adrian have had a few ding dongs in the past but I really dont see the point in what you have posted here tbh. Sorry to tell you that you've gone and wasted you're time again.

Lovren was a excellent excellent CB for us, he really was and many of us feared him leaving as it didnt seem likely that he would be so easily replaced. Nobody could guess the complete capitulation in form he was going to have at Liverpool either. Now, Lovren, early season last year was performing as arguably one of the best CBs in the league, he definately tailed off towards the end but was still very good.

Alderweireld however, IMO, is the best CB I have ever seen in a saints shirt, his athleticism, positioning, strength and ability on the ball is far far better than Ive seen. He really is quality.

Agreed that two of the 'arguably' best 3 DMs in the prem infront of our defence, and now what seems like a very competant (yet on here much maligned) goalkeeper behind them probably makes their job easier.

So no, I dont see what he has got wrong here at all

Going back to the Academy and whether MP or Koeman has made more use of it, we shouldn't forget that Koeman has had more to play for this year. Every league game has been important and we are still playing for a European place in the league, he also put out the strongest teams possible in both cups. MP had less to play for in the league as from a long way out we were mid table team and he did field weaker teams in the cups.

Also this year Gallagher had a bad injury for a lot of this season. His two goals in 20 games for the first team would be interesting to look at in minutes played per goal scored.

How about Lucas Leiva as a replacement for Schneiderlin..? A couple of years ago he was the best defensive mid in the league, and would be available for very little...

Might not get another work permit, don't think he's a Brazil regular and thus would fall foul of the new criteria.

Players such as he will have to stay put or go abroad.

Now, me and Adrian have had a few ding dongs in the past but I really dont see the point in what you have posted here tbh. Sorry to tell you that you've gone and wasted you're time again.

Lovren was a excellent excellent CB for us, he really was and many of us feared him leaving as it didnt seem likely that he would be so easily replaced. Nobody could guess the complete capitulation in form he was going to have at Liverpool either. Now, Lovren, early season last year was performing as arguably one of the best CBs in the league, he definately tailed off towards the end but was still very good.

Alderweireld however, IMO, is the best CB I have ever seen in a saints shirt, his athleticism, positioning, strength and ability on the ball is far far better than Ive seen. He really is quality.

Agreed that two of the 'arguably' best 3 DMs in the prem infront of our defence, and now what seems like a very competant (yet on here much maligned) goalkeeper behind them probably makes their job easier.

I also think that playing alongside Fonte makes other players look better. Lovren could focus on his core defensive work, while Fonte did the talking and the organising.

Maybe I'm kidding myself, but I have the feeling that Alderweireld would stay with us given the opportunity, but unfortunately Atletico will be the ones to make that an impossibility.

How could I or anyone else judge the differences between Lovren and Alderweireld over a season before I'd seen one of them play?

I still think Lovren is good, just not as good or consistent. It's doubly frustrating that with Toby someone else is likely to get a bargain, with Lovren at worst we made a big profit.

Not saying adrian has anything wrong, nor saying TA a bad player etc.

Just pointing out that a year has changed the view of Lovren but his progress / increase in marketability was much greater than Toby.

Lovren was not highly thought of and then proved himself in a top league.

TA joined us on loan when we were tipped for relegation. His club were happy to agree to quite a low fee. Surely if bigger club / better deal was around he would have gone elsewhere? He was already a regular international player. He had played in a decent amount of games league, cup and CL for the Spanish title winners, hardly unproven or unknown.

Main thing noticed about Adrian's post was how he talked about Lovren as having dodgy games, and not raving about him, protected by midfield, inconsistent etc

However 12 months ago, before he left and performed badly for Liverpool (but after dodgy games for us) he was "fantastic" "one of best CBs in prem".

Not knocking Adrian as its natural and we all feel same. But TA may end up a star for us, or elsewhere but his first season was not, if we are totally honest and try to be objective, a class above Lovrens. Think some of Lovrens performances were amazing last season.

How could I or anyone else judge the differences between Lovren and Alderweireld over a season before I'd seen one of them play?

I still think Lovren is good, just not as good or consistent. It's doubly frustrating that with Toby someone else is likely to get a bargain, with Lovren at worst we made a big profit.

Just pointing out that a year has changed the view of Lovren but his progress / increase in marketability was much greater than Toby.

TA joined us on loan when we were tipped for relegation. His club were happy to agree to quite a low fee. Surely if bigger club / better deal was around he would have gone elsewhere? He was already a regular international player. He had played in a decent amount of games league, cup and CL for the Spanish title winners, hardly unproven or unknown.

Main thing noticed about Adrian's post was how he talked about Lovren as having dodgy games, and not raving about him, protected by midfield, inconsistent etc

However 12 months ago, before he left and performed badly for Liverpool (but after dodgy games for us) he was "fantastic" "one of best CBs in prem".

Not knocking Adrian as its natural and we all feel same. But TA may end up a star for us, or elsewhere but his first season was not, if we are totally honest and try to be objective, a class above Lovrens. Think some of Lovrens performances were amazing last season.

hth

12MKIYWae1OHW8.gif

Might not get another work permit, don't think he's a Brazil regular and thus would fall foul of the new criteria.

Players such as he will have to stay put or go abroad.

Or we could pay 10 million pounds for him.

I'm sure it's buried somewhere in this thread already but Rob Green has got to be a better bet than Davis or Gazza next season and QPR will be desperate to get him off the wage bill now they're going down.

I don't think we will get a better 'keeper willing to compete with FF in the long term.

I'm sure it's buried somewhere in this thread already but Rob Green has got to be a better bet than Davis or Gazza next season and QPR will be desperate to get him off the wage bill now they're going down.

I don't think we will get a better 'keeper willing to compete with FF in the long term.

Dependant on wages it isnt a bad shout

I hope not, he's just synonymous with failure at this level. Another one who has benefitted from being very busy, like David Marshall last season.

Probably too expensive but if Arsenal did sign Cech, or any first no1, Ospina would seemingly be no2, would Szycezny come here on loan? If possible I'd prefer that, would benefit him and us. Assuming we won't be signing anyone permenently.

The norwegian guy we were linked with seems to have a good reputation though.

Compared to Kelvin, who was part of one of the worst teams in the history of the Premier League at Sunderland he is a world beater. QPR will give him away for free in summer, I doubt there are many better out there free who wont mind FF being first choice.

Green is a good shout. He is great shot stopper but flaps a bit at times. His distribution isn't as good as Forster but way better than our back up at the moment.

The key thing is that he would be prepared to sit on the bench from Jan onwards. We'll struggle to find an alternative.

The norwegian target could well be good but if he does well, Forster won't warm the bench for him.

Tricky one.

I said last season we would need to bring in around 10 new players. A few accused me of being ridiculous, but it ended up happening. If (sadly it's become if) we make Europa League, we will need a big squad.This summer, assuming Toby, MS, Elia, Clyne and Djuricic are not here, we need at least 9. Two new gk, rb, cb, dm, 2 wide players and two strikers. We need to get a deal done for Ings asap now Burnley are down. I would also take Trippier from them.

After watching Burnley yesterday I still think Ings would do a job,he has a good attitude about him and he is always battling for it,take away the fact he is a saints fan he looks like he has a lot of potential,my only concern is I am not sure if he can play the lone role

Also if J-rod stays will RK play him central or the inside fwd role MP had him at ?