Summer 2015 Hcdajfu thread ?

simo

How on earth are we going to finance all of these "aquisitions", we're not selling apparently but we're going to spend another 40 or 50 million if you believe the popular press, Kate had better start digging around in her handbag again.

Not to mention just a 4 million £ increase in salary mass, tea ladies will have to take a pay cut then.,

Edited by Window Cleaner

How on earth are we going to finance all of these "aquisitions", we're not selling apparently but we're going to spend another 40 or 50 million if you believe the popular press, Kate had better start digging around in her handbag again.

Not to mention just a 4 million £ increase in salary mass, tea ladies will have to take a pay cut then.,

TV revenue and a surplus on deals from last season.

Manè is better than Mahrez

Long is probably as good as Vardy, but we have J Rod coming back too

Pellè is probably better than Ulloa.

So IMO none of them are worth signing

So you would only sign players who are better than our first choice? So then they should replace the existing players who will then want to leave as they are now backup. I woudl rather bring in players as backup, give them a chance and if they prove themselves, they get the shirt.

So you would only sign players who are better than our first choice? So then they should replace the existing players who will then want to leave as they are now backup. I woudl rather bring in players as backup, give them a chance and if they prove themselves, they get the shirt.

I don't agree with that. When you go down that route, you normally end up with a squad bulked up with a load of crap.

The method of buying better than you have is the way to go. Evolve the positions in the team over time, don't just buy backup to be backup. Too many clubs do that in the PL and then have a nightmare getting them off the wage bill when they are inevitably relegated.

I don't agree with that. When you go down that route, you normally end up with a squad bulked up with a load of crap.

The method of buying better than you have is the way to go. Evolve the positions in the team over time, don't just buy backup to be backup. Too many clubs do that in the PL and then have a nightmare getting them off the wage bill when they are inevitably relegated.

Mhmm. Loans (with an opinion to buy) are more than adequate when trying to pad the squad.

Yes thats exactly what I want to do, why would you buy worse than what you have ? Thats an ingredient to go backwards. If we are to buy I expect to buy better

About a month ago (post #20 of this thread ) I mentioned Baz Dost and got shot down by the 'experts'. At the time he had recently scored four goals in a 5-4 Bundesliga win over Dortmund. Watching him play, he is often quiet in the build up play but seems to be able to take the match by the scruff of the neck at times in the last third.

I think he would be a good option up front for Saints.

well obviously you don't buy players at their full potential to sit on the bench.

buying someone with potential that is higher or equal to your existing players and good enough to provide cover while they prove themselves until they either surpass the incumbent or the incumbent is sold could work.

Don't know if he's been mentioned but does anyone else like the look of Nathaniel Chalobah? He's looked impressive at all of his loan clubs in the Championship and must realise he isn't ever going to be given a chance at Chelsea.

I think he can make the step up and would improve us hugely; exactly the type of driving, attacking midfielder that we currently lack.

Can we put this myth about having no money to bed? We have just announced a £30M+ profit, and that is before taking in to account a large percentage of last year’s player sales, TV money and this year TV money. We are minted as far as PL clubs are concerned, but whether we choose to spend it or not is another matter.

And as long as we don’t get relegated. I am all for keeping a healthy bank balance, but please dump the begging bowl :mcinnes:

Can't believe some of you are turning your noses up at Hernandez. He's scored goals at the top level including the CL. He looked very sharp against Juventus and loves getting involved in the build up play. He'd be perfect for us!

We won't get him though.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/southampton-swansea-join-newcastle-15million-5640768

Supposedly interested in Aleksander Mitrovic, along with Swansea and Newcastle.

If we sign him I am claiming ITK as I was keen on him last summer, quality quality player and only 20yr old.

Also the links with Newcastle appear to be a smoke screen used by Ashley to deflect away from Carver et al, Mitrovic's manager and agent have denied both the story of newcastle and the Anderlecht forum guys are saying its being used by them to drive up the price of the other interested parties.

Season is nearly over and let the games begin.

Edited by Convict Colony

Can we put this myth about having no money to bed? We have just announced a £30M+ profit, and that is before taking in to account a large percentage of last year’s player sales, TV money and this year TV money. We are minted as far as PL clubs are concerned, but whether we choose to spend it or not is another matter.

And as long as we don’t get relegated. I am all for keeping a healthy bank balance, but please dump the begging bowl :mcinnes:

We don't have much money for transfers - unless there are player sales in the summer for big money, we won't be spending much. Not sure why you think we have a lot of money?

We don't have much money for transfers - unless there are player sales in the summer for big money' date=' we won't be spending much. Not sure why you think we have a lot of money?[/quote']

Because they look at last season's profit, up to 30 June 2014, of 31 million £ and don't take into account that that sum only

represents the sales of Lambert and Shaw and nothing else. We then sold 3 more players for a sum that we know to be around 50 million net and bought players for somewhere around 70 million plus loan fees etc. So in fact when you take all that into account we actually made very little out of it all and the little that we did has no doubt gone into paying off part of the training centre. The owner had to even lend us more money to pay off a nasty debt. If the account ran from summer transfer window end to summer transfer window end I suspect they'd be different.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Arsenal are supposedly going to bid for Aymen Abdennour in the summer - it would be highly unlikely he'd leave Monaco for us but if we didn't sign Toby he would be the perfect replacement. Quick, strong, aggressive, good in the tackle and has shown he can play against Premier League opposition when he shut Arsenal out in the Champions League.

If he'd be interested in entertaining the idea of a move to us he'd definitely be worth splashing out for.

Lets test Derbys resolve over little hughes, absolutely top top little player ready made for the red n white

A couple of people on Derby's forums were suggesting that this is already a done deal to us, but it wasn't totally concrete. Have to wait and see. Would be very surprised if we're not interested though.

chelsea interested in Toby it seems

As a squad player I guess. Doubt he'd entertain that move. He's already made a big move to a top club, on big money, as a squad player - but he wants to play. I like toby, but I don't think he's a top, top, top level player - but more than good enough for us. I genuinely think he'd be happy to stay here, but 90% of this deal is on Madrids shoulders. The 'agreed fee' seems a bit pointless in that aspect, as Madrid still hold most of the cards.

Lets test Derbys resolve over little hughes, absolutely top top little player ready made for the red n white

A couple of people on Derby's forums were suggesting that this is already a done deal to us, but it wasn't totally concrete. Have to wait and see. Would be very surprised if we're not interested though.

Would love that. As Smirks says he's a lovely little player, bound to move to the Prem sooner or later. As depressing a thought as it is, it would be a good intermediate move for him if he is looking to get to the top. Often making that leap without a step in the middle can end badly. Much like Clyne has done really.

Not convinced it is likely though, as has been discussed previously on this thread we do have a fair few players in that position. Two of which are academy products which the club are keen to progress and push on, I'm not sure how many people they will want to bring in and block their development. It does seem fairly likely we are at least in for Vilhena as well.

Liverpool been linked with him for a very long time. Just don't see him playing regularly for them.

Maybe they'd loan him straight back for next season?

Don't see the point in that to be honest. The lad is proven he is good enough for that league, there'd be more sense in it if Derby were promoted. IMO he should be looking for regular Premier League football next year. This actually probably contradicts what I just said about him above, as I don't know how much he'd get here. Depends on who comes in as a replacement for Morgan, I guess.

Don't see the point in that to be honest. The lad is proven he is good enough for that league, there'd be more sense in it if Derby were promoted. IMO he should be looking for regular Premier League football next year. This actually probably contradicts what I just said about him above, as I don't know how much he'd get here. Depends on who comes in as a replacement for Morgan, I guess.

An U21 midfield of Reed, JWP and Hughes probably has Les salivating.

An U21 midfield of Reed, JWP and Hughes probably has Les salivating.

He's not the only one! Certainly a ton of potential in that 3, maybe a tad green for a central midfield 3. I'm a big fan of blooding youth, but you need some quality and know how in there. Would also feel a tad lightweight. Reed is tenacious, but there's no destroyer in there.

Granted, I reckon Vic will still be there next season. So will fill that hole for now.

I like Hughes and have done for some time. I get the feeling though that we may prefer putting faith in Hesketh in that position.

Are you not even a bit concerned bout will hughes has got blonde eyebrows? Albino looking mother-fucker imo. I know we've already got Koeman + Steven Davis, but I think Will Hughes just takes it a bit far.

It's a concern, is all I'm saying, especially i.e in 2020 when we might be playing league games in summer months cos of World Cup.

Are you not even a bit concerned bout will hughes has got blonde eyebrows? Albino looking mother-fucker imo. I know we've already got Koeman + Steven Davis, but I think Will Hughes just takes it a bit far.

It's a concern, is all I'm saying, especially i.e in 2020 when we might be playing league games in summer months cos of World Cup.

True but he could come in handy in frosty/snowy months. Full camo no.10.

Really disagree, think he's proven this season he's a real top top level CB. Think he'd do well there. Would love us to sign him but loads must be interested.

To be fair, probably much what I expect you thought about Lovren, and his move to a bigger club hasn't gone great so far!

Very good player for us, but I don't think demand will be automatically hugely higher than it was last summer...he had played a decent amount for a top side and was an established international.

Les Reed again:

Southampton sporting director Les Reed says the club will rely mainly on academy products next season, should they be faced with the extra games that Europa League qualification would bring.

Ronald Koeman's side have coped admirably with a pre-season overhaul, which saw the Dutchman appointed as Mauricio Pochettino's replacement while a number of key players departed.

With three games remaining, the Saints look well placed to at least seal a play-off berth for a return to European competition for the first time since the 2003-04 campaign.

The added fixtures in the Europa League are seen as a burden in some quarters but Reed feels that the club are equipped to deal with the extra workload.

The likes of James Ward-Prowse, Harrison Reed and Jake Hesketh have all come through Southampton's youth setup to make their first-team debuts in recent seasons and Reed seeks a continuation of that tradition at St Mary's Stadium.

"I think there's a lot of mythology around the Europa League. I think it's a good excuse for managers to say 'isn't my job hard'," Reed told Perform at the Sporting Directors' Summit at the Etihad Stadium.

"I don't see the difference between playing Wednesday in the Champions League then Saturday in the league, and Thursday and Sunday.

"It's probably between four and six more games, Championship clubs do that every week and they haven't got the resources so I think it's manageable.

"Yes, you want a bit more strength, but what we've built is an academy that supplies players to the first team so we'll get our strength in depth from that.

"We'll tweak the team in terms of balance and we've got loan players we need to convert or replace so that's more likely to be the type of activity we have in the transfer market."

Don't disagree with any of that to be fair. A Saints team made up of 50% Academy graduates playing in Europe? Would be stunning.

Les Reed again:

Don't disagree with any of that to be fair. A Saints team made up of 50% Academy graduates playing in Europe? Would be stunning.

It would also be extremely short lived. We will probably be going into Saturday's game with zero academy players in the starting line up, from there to 5 or 6 in a Europa League qualifier is a far stretch of the imagination. Reed can say what he likes, Koeman's actions don't seem to back any of it up. At least Mauricio made an effort, didn't we have 5 or 6 academy players on the pitch at times last season ?.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Les Reed again:

It would also **** off the first team players who have striven to get to this level, if they were then not picked because we have decided to play the youngsters in these games. I really don't believe Les said this or at least meant it to be interpreted this way. First team players may be OK with the kids playing in Kurdistan or Lichtenstein, but can you seriously imagine what would happen if we left out first teamers against some of the more attractive sides who play in the Europa Noddy league?

It would also be extremely short lived. We will probably be going into Saturday's game with zero academy players in the starting line up, from there to 5 or 6 in a Europa League qualifier is a far stretch of the imagination. Reed can say what he likes, Koeman's actions don't seem to back any of it up. At least Mauricio made an effort, didn't we have 5 or 6 academy players on the pitch at times last season ?.

But we sold them. MP was lucky to have that terrific crop of young players at his disposal. The level isn't quite as good at the moment, but academies fluctuate - you'll have good spells and leaner spells, but the foundation will always allow us to produce good players more often than not.

I think we'll see the likes of Stephens, McCarthy, Reed, JWP, Hesketh and co used in the Europa games (if we get there). It's the best way, for a club of our size, to ensure we don't over-stretch the entire squad. You can start playing the stronger teams when it gets serious, but when you're playing the local dog and duck from Lithuania you might as well give the kids a go.

Most clubs would love to be able to have the youth team supply their depth.