Saints v Spurs - post match reaction

Smirking_Saint

It was a terrific game, Spurs were pretty poor until we scored - both times! It seemed that our goals woke them up from their slumber, although their 2nd came from nothing and was pretty rubbish to be honest.

But overall a really, really enjoyable 90 minutes of football. Lots of effort, blood and thunder, apatite, quality, goals....it was a terrific premier league game in my opinion.

I think we did shade it, but on the overall game we are two very even sides - so being level on points is about right! The goal gave Pelle the lift he needed, and his 2nd was Pelle from the start of the season. If he starts firing again, then we can finish 5th/6th. After the season we've had at the back, it looks dodgy now with Davis back there - no surprise really to be honest. Puts to bed all the ******** about Forster not being that good.

But Steven Davis, jesus christ - what the hell!

Thought we deserved to win that game. Our defence kept them quiet especially Kane.

Davis should of stopped first goal and done better with the second.

S Davis I felt played better than what some are saying on here. Was always involved. Made some decent headers from their corners. Did some good passing and a couple of nice runs. Got himself into some great positions and should of scored at least once. Some shocking misses. But that has been the story for a few players recently.

Pelle looks like his old self again, chasing balls and harassing defenders.

Mane was probably motm for me. Total live wire with some neat tricks. Nightmare for defenders. Although I think he dived at least once. Roko needs to have a word.

JWP did some decent corners today but in play was just a passanger

I think taking him off for Long was a good move. Long was more effective in play and that cross for Pelle was sublime.

Elia did ok too, some nice corners that Fonte was unlucky not to score from one.

All in all I think keeper should of done better.

Good game and a fair result, although if anyone should have won it should have been Saints. Both Davis' must be kicking themselves, Steve for his abysmal shooting and Kelvin for not being Fraser Forster. The other disappointment is Mane. Good as he is he ruins it for me by his blatant cheating. I want Saints to win by being the better team, not because a player has got a free kick or a penalty by diving. Ultimately its no help to the team if genuine fouls go unpunished because a player has got a reputation for simulation and neither is it any help if he gets sent off for cheating. Koeman should have a serious discussion with Sadio if he is to be retained for next season.

On another day 2-2 would have been a good result. Davis has a serious case of the yips in sight of goal. Graziano's second was a thing of beauty. Manė is so annoying. Getting caught well offside a few times, falling over whenever he could yet still a threat when he got the ball. What the hell was he doing in the last ten minutes whenever we had a set piece? He was standing out on the touchline as a spectator. Get in the middle ffs.

Mane reminds me of Papa Waigo. Fast, tricky to play against, just very, very frustrating. Probably too lightweight.

Although it's not nice, Davis has cost us the game today. The first one you can kinda forget about, but the other two..... shocking. The second one he could have gone even further into the box, yet still dragged it miles wide. JWP was the wrong man to take off.

Thought Yoshida played well - Apart from the error on the goal. Both of their goals came from us giving away possession needlessly. Although our second started from Super Kelv and ended up in the net.

Should have been a win today, we knew how they would play - From the back, they didn't like the pressure. Unfortunately gave them too much space in midfield. Worried about Schinderlin as well, could be his season over.

Okay just subbed to site, now, my player ratings that I'm sure you've been dying to know:

Kelv - 4 Don't remember if he needed to make a save, maybe could do better for the first and definitely should have done better for the second

Clyne - 7 A bit more like his 2014 self in this game, seemed to have much more freedom on the right for runs and crosses

Fonte - 8 typical Fonte performance, defensive masterclass and tried very well to make the most of some difficult chances

Yoshi - 6 Had a good game until the 2nd goal, he fell asleep which allowed Chadli to do a number on him

Bertrand - 8 Brilliant game, dominated the left and his touch was godly today

Toby - 7 Didn't hear too much of him, but sometimes the defensive mids are the unsung heroes

Spiderman - 7 Same as Toby, had a typically strong performance

Mane - 7 Had a very good game but the constant diving is leaving a sour taste in my mouth, we can laugh it off for the first few times and say "oh, classic Mane!" but it gets truly embarrasing after awhile.

JWP - 7 That second cross of his was beautiful, best I've seen from him, and Tottenham were lucky they've got a great keeper as it was taken well. Good game all around

Stevie Davis - 6.5 Obviously the missed chances cost us the extra points in hindsight, but his general play and contribution to attacks was good.

Pelle - 8.5 A true 2014 Pelle performance, harassing defenders and dragging them around for Davis' first chance, stayed alert for his first and simple quality for his second. Would be 9, but his failed flick-on which looked to be a bit too extravagent gave the ball away for Tottenham's build-up for their first goal.

Long - 7.5 First touch of the ball for a Pelle assist and a good overall impact which we want from a sub

Elia - 7 Showed a bit of bottle when absolutely none of our corner takers were on the pitch, and delivered two fine corners.

Reed - 5 Not much of a game, conceded a free kick and won a header.

Davis having a crap game?! How unusual.

Yet again he's cack. I'm just waiting for the "Steven Davis won us a point" thread. He's been dreadful all season yet still got this "unsung hero" tag. Could have had a hatrick today, I said it 12 months ago, I said it in October when we were winning all the time, I'm saying it now. Steven Davis is simply not good enough.

Mane too lightweight? He holds off defenders he shouldn't have a chance against, nips the ball past them and creates openings. He is our best attacking player, by a mile. Teams don't know how to deal with him.

Yes, he goes down too easily at times and is creating a bit of a reputation. Hopefully he can curb that as he matures, but he's an absolutely fantastic attacking player for us.

Disappointing. Spurs are so average with the exception of Kane and Eriksen. We gifted them a point today; we needed to win to have a chance of 5th or 6th. Pleased for Pelle, but those three chances missed by Davis were just painful to watch.

I wouldn't stretch to disappointing, frustrating maybe, but not disappointing. I had a great afternoon, terrific entertainment in my opinion. 2 teams going for it in the right way. Played in a good spirit and at a high tempo - if there was going to be a winner it was likely to be us, but in the grand scheme of it a draw isn't the end of the world, what with Liverpool dropping points today. In reality, nothing has changed, which was the next best thing to winning today.

I wouldn't stretch to disappointing, frustrating maybe, but not disappointing. I had a great afternoon, terrific entertainment in my opinion. 2 teams going for it in the right way. Played in a good spirit and at a high tempo - if there was going to be a winner it was likely to be us, but in the grand scheme of it a draw isn't the end of the world, what with Liverpool dropping points today. In reality, nothing has changed, which was the next best thing to winning today.

Agree.

according to the BBC we only had 36% possession that can't be right can it?

Thought both sides were pretty evenly matched think we just edged it certainly we were far more dangerous going forward but at expense of our defence. Think I would have preferred Toby back in defence and Reed as the second DM but yoshida has been pretty solid recently so I can see Koeman's thinking.

One that got away. Should have won based on chances. Fonte hit the bar twice, and Davis missed two clear chances.

KD is an honest pro, but I think that Forster would have saved at least one of the Spurs goals. The second one especially was a bad one to concede.

Referee was poor. From my view in the Chapel it looked as if one of the Spurs defenders (who had already been booked) put an arm in Mane's face, but the ref just waved it away. Looked like he bottled it.

One that got away. Should have won based on chances. Fonte hit the bar twice, and Davis missed two clear chances.

KD is an honest pro, but I think that Forster would have saved at least one of the Spurs goals. The second one especially was a bad one to concede.

Referee was poor. From my view in the Chapel it looked as if one of the Spurs defenders (who had already been booked) put an arm in Mane's face, but the ref just waved it away. Looked like he bottled it.

When he went down holding his face? Replay showed that it was a pretty light elbow on the chin, but Mane went down clutching his eye.

Mane was going down far too easily throughout the game, can't blame Moss for having enough of it.

he didnt, mane was diving all over the show

When he went down holding his face? Replay showed that it was a pretty light elbow on the chin, but Mane went down clutching his eye.

Mane was going down far too easily throughout the game, can't blame Moss for having enough of it.

Fair enough. Difficult to see from the back of the Chapel. Agree about Mane's diving.

BT Sport had a list of players who have had many shots and no goals, Davis was on that list with 26 this season, so add 3 today and 14 months with no goal its no wonder we let 2 points slip, so frustrating. Not had much rub of the green lately either. 3 very hard games coming up now! All relegation fighters….

Playing Davis and JWP was crass. Koeman stated that it was a must win game. Playing two non scoring square passers in front of two holding midfielders wasn't going for it. We looked far better after they went off and were replaced by Long and Elia. Spurs were hanging on at the end. We have nothing to lose by starting that team or Wanyama for Yoshida and reverting to the best back six and four proper forwards.

In any event I personally prefer Harry Reed to both Davis and JWP. JWP isn't bad but as far as I am concerned Davis has run his course, he just doesn't do enough for me. The lack of goals from midfield has cost us several places. Kelvin Davis wasn't good enough three years ago. He has managed to destroy our passing game overnight as he just won't pass it and kicks long mostly turning over possession. Keeping him as third choice backup for Boruc made sense but not as the reserve goalkeeper.

Just watched BT back; Ben Davies and Morgans stoppages combined 6mins 30 secs, so why only 30 secs for 6 substitutions?? Said at the time should have been 9-10 mins.

never works like that does it. football has natural stoppages anyway

Fair enough, I watched with a few non-Saints fans and none of us thought it was a great game. For me, Spurs offered so little and we conceded two soft goals, which made it a disappointment. It's just another game where we appear to have been the better team and haven't won. Great to see Pelle get a couple of goals though, it seems the majority of fans have stuck by him during his dry spell in front of goal. A few tricky games to come against relegation threatened teams, if they come out and attack I feel it may play into our hands. I just really do not want to be waiting until May 30 for confirmation of a Europa League spot.

Davis having a crap game?! How unusual.

Yet again he's cack. I'm just waiting for the "Steven Davis won us a point" thread. He's been dreadful all season yet still got this "unsung hero" tag. Could have had a hatrick today, I said it 12 months ago, I said it in October when we were winning all the time, I'm saying it now. Steven Davis is simply not good enough.

Good enough for a ten top side, Squad player for a top 6 side. IMO.

Pundits on BT were scathing of Kelvin for his positioning for goal 2, said that he should never have let one in from that angle. Rightly so IMO

Still think it is harsh to put it down to the keeper when it could and should have been cut out before the guy got his shot away.

according to the BBC we only had 36% possession that can't be right can it?

Thought both sides were pretty evenly matched think we just edged it certainly we were far more dangerous going forward but at expense of our defence. Think I would have preferred Toby back in defence and Reed as the second DM but yoshida has been pretty solid recently so I can see Koeman's thinking.

I agree. I thought it was pretty even, in fact we may have even just edged it!

Still think it is harsh to put it down to the keeper when it could and should have been cut out before the guy got his shot away.

You could say that about virtually any goal. Unless it's a 40 yard wonder-strike somebody should have dealt with it before there was a shot on target. I didn't see the goal but if Kelvin was at fault, Yoshi's error doesn't change anything.

You could say that about virtually any goal. Unless it's a 40 yard wonder-strike somebody should have dealt with it before there was a shot on target. I didn't see the goal but if Kelvin was at fault, Yoshi's error doesn't change anything.

We have been saying all season that the defence is so good it makes the keeper look good. What is changes is whose falut is it. Yoshida was sleeping and let his man get away. If he had done his job - no shot - no goal.

Great game for the neutral but we should have won if it were not for some frankly abysmal shooting from Davis once again. Ronald messed up a bit really - should have had faith in Reed to take Davis' place with JWP getting forward more. Toby actually had a decent game in DFM. Pelle and Mane were fantastic today individually, however I still don't think they are on the same wavelength and it's costing us - hopefully this will improve with more time together though.

Have to say, overall we cannot be disappointed with a draw against Spurs and 7th in the best league in the World. Everything still to play for in terms of a Euro spot.

Interestingly, Spuds now need to win their last 4 games or else Poch will be worse than AVB and Sherwood last season.

Could be a candidate for the sack race next season. Supposing someone came in with a big offer for Kane and/or Erikssen. Our best players all f**ked off for Champions League football I can't see why theirs would be much different.

We have been saying all season that the defence is so good it makes the keeper look good. What is changes is whose falut is it. Yoshida was sleeping and let his man get away. If he had done his job - no shot - no goal.

It was actually Bertrand who pulled away to leave the gap. In any case, I'm sure Davis will be disappointed looking back on both goals today.

Interestingly, Spuds now need to win their last 4 games or else Poch will be worse than AVB and Sherwood last season.

Could be a candidate for the sack race next season. Supposing someone came in with a big offer for Kane and/or Erikssen. Our best players all f**ked off for Champions League football I can't see why theirs would be much different.

Except the players are all from AVB's reign..MP will get his own players in and then they will improve.

S Davis must be proper sh*t if first Pochettinho and then RK play him week in and week out

Some of you haven't got the first clue ....

He isn't "proper ****" but he is an abysmal finisher and playing him as an attacking midfielder that neither scores nor creates will not help us progress as a side. We have to get a bigger goal threat from the 3 attacking positions behind the centre forward. Mane is one, Rodriguez will be another and then hopefully Vilhenna will give us something more next season.

Davis will still have a role, particularly with European games next season likely, but his days as a first choice player are hopefully over

S Davis must be proper sh*t if first Pochettinho and then RK play him week in and week out

Some of you haven't got the first clue ....

Come on though, I am one of his biggest supporters, but those two "attempts" in the second half today were absolutely shocking. Like Pelle until recently he has completely lost his confidence in front of goal, needs to get one off his arse or something. Other than that he was OK today, nothing brilliant but not the shocker that some would have you believe. Should have had 3 assists last week if Tadic could shoot and if Morgan hadn't got in the way of Fonte's header. He also didn't cost us the win today, we went 2-1 up after both of his cock ups, we didn't win today because of our lack of top class keeper.

Will be good to see Vic back next game, much as I rate Toby, he was very average in MF today, his clearances and passes were way below his usual standard. Mane is getting some stick for some dives, sure he did make a meal of two or three challenges, but the dickhead of a ref didn't think they were worth a booking, and some of the challenges on him by Spuds players were frankly shocking. Moss got it so wrong just before our first goal, but fortunately it worked out well for us. Great work by Long for the cross for Pelle's second. Great to see Pelle picking up his brace today, though have to say the rest of his game was not very good, and his casual back heel in the first half led indirectly to their goal.

On the whole though it was good to see us attacking today, with some flair, back to how we were early in the season, after some turgid performances since we beat the Gooners.

Maurico 4 points Koeman 1 point.

Beautiful game to watch, but as always Koeman made the wrong substitutions. We were a different team after Reed came on and shame Steven Davis screwed up on what should have been winning goals.

Steven Davis the new scapegoat

idiots

Why does saying a player was very bad in a key game mean he is a scape goat?

He was bad, very bad today in very key positions. I suspect he would agree and believe his finishing is no where near good enough for a skipper of a national team headed to the euros

He was bad, very bad today in very key positions. I suspect he would agree and believe his finishing is no where near good enough for a skipper of a national team headed to the euros

Davis played ok, except for missing 2gilt-edged chances...still light years better than JWP who was a passenger.

Come on though, I am one of his biggest supporters, but those two "attempts" in the second half today were absolutely shocking. Like Pelle until recently he has completely lost his confidence in front of goal, needs to get one off his arse or something. Other than that he was OK today, nothing brilliant but not the shocker that some would have you believe. Should have had 3 assists last week if Tadic could shoot and if Morgan hadn't got in the way of Fonte's header. He also didn't cost us the win today, we went 2-1 up after both of his cock ups, we didn't win today because of our lack of top class keeper.

Will be good to see Vic back next game, much as I rate Toby, he was very average in MF today, his clearances and passes were way below his usual standard. Mane is getting some stick for some dives, sure he did make a meal of two or three challenges, but the dickhead of a ref didn't think they were worth a booking, and some of the challenges on him by Spuds players were frankly shocking. Moss got it so wrong just before our first goal, but fortunately it worked out well for us. Great work by Long for the cross for Pelle's second. Great to see Pelle picking up his brace today, though have to say the rest of his game was not very good, and his casual back heel in the first half led indirectly to their goal.

On the whole though it was good to see us attacking today, with some flair, back to how we were early in the season, after some turgid performances since we beat the Gooners.

Decent summary.

I can't agree about Moss. I couldn't actually find fault with any of his decisions. We just have to accept that referees don't see the game through red and white glasses.

according to the thread using his name as the title he has been bad since 18th Jan.