Saints v Spurs - post match reaction

Smirking_Saint

Apart from his shooting he had a good game imo

I think that's fair, obviously it will be highlighted hugely because of the glaring misses, but as I have nothing else to do on a Saturday night this week (go me!) I watched some of the game back, and his tactical and discipline in the middle was good. He used the ball well when he had it, apart from the shots!

I do think he has dipped recently though. He's not as consistently reliable as he used to be.

Decent game, had more of the chances and possession. Typically we dont make enough of it though.

Pellè played really well. Davis wasteful on possession, with his shooting and defensively weak.

According to the BBC we had just 36% possession

Couple of things I noticed from this:-

In warm up Tottenham practiced shooting. We didn't.

We were clearly the better team, but Tottenham were clinical. If we take our chances we win 6-2.

Defensively Steve Davis was excellent. I totally disagree with anyone who says otherwise. He just can't shoot!!!

Maya was at fault for the second goal, but how he has improved this season. His left foot is excellent along with his distribution.

Tottenham had a game plan to stop Pelle winning the ball in the middle by always having 5 players around him for the long ball. The fact that Pelle scored 2 goals shows his quality.

Mane is our best player.

The standard of Refereeing was bias and poor.

Couple of things I noticed from this:-

In warm up Tottenham practiced shooting. We didn't.

We were clearly the better team, but Tottenham were clinical. If we take our chances we win 6-2.

Defensively Steve Davis was excellent. I totally disagree with anyone who says otherwise. He just can't shoot!!!

Maya was at fault for the second goal, but how he has improved this season. His left foot is excellent along with his distribution.

Tottenham had a game plan to stop Pelle winning the ball in the middle by always having 5 players around him for the long ball. The fact that Pelle scored 2 goals shows his quality.

Mane is our best player.

The standard of Refereeing was bias and poor.

I agree with all of that.

Good game but very disappointing result - we are not converting enough of our chances. Steve Davis is supposed to be an attaching midfielder - but he can't shoot for toffee. He is currently not good enough. Silly defensive mistakes (especially Yoshida and K Davis) mean we are now conceding two goals a match - not good enough. I did not like K Davis giving Pochettino a big hug at the end of the match after he had kept goal badly - they should do that sort of thing in private between consenting adults.

Need 3 wins out of 4 to finish ahead of Spurs I reckon. Massive shame today, I thought we did enough to beat them. S.Davis has been brilliant for us but poor in the last month or so. Needs dropping. I feel we're paying for not having a better back-up GK too. I love Kelv but I'm certain FF and even Boruc would've saved both of Spurs attempts today.

Ah Well! Repetition of Stoke last week.Two shots on goal,two goals.Saints had so many opportunities to win this game,which by the way was quite entertaining for a change,but couldn't put them away.Pelle is my MOTM and Mane gets the gold for diving.RK needs to have a word with him.His tumbles left us deplete of a player where had he stayed on his feet we could have taken advantage of Spuds very poor defence.

PS. Did that wonder kid Kane play today or as a Spud said in his text "he really is one of us a Spectator"! Jose had him in his pocket for the whole game.

Take away playing against the bottom club at home

2 goals a game let in by davis

Great servant and club captain for us, but an extremely massive weak link in a premier league team. Thankfully we only have 4 more games to play. People saying that Forster was no better than Davis and that Forster is a L1 keeper need to get their heads out of their arses.

Our defensive record this season owes a lot to Forster.

I have no issue criticising Davis for his finishing, but the rest of his play today was excellent. Much much better than JWP! Who by the way has mussed some sitters too this season.

Thought it was a mistake to start with 4 central midfielders, but Tadic was very very poor last week so I can understand why he was dropped.

We were better than last week by a long way.

Mane needs to stop going over so easily. It will cost us in the long run.

Disappointed not to win.

Personally I think Wanyama replaces Yoshida & Long replaces JWP next week.

Cracking game. Both teams going for it, we shaded it on chances but spurs passed it around well. Pelle was great ufront as target man and couple of great goals, great awareness for the first. Mane ran non stop and was a handful but he needs to watch the line and cut out the diving, shouldve been booked. Such a shame we needed the win as it was a great point.

But as we know from our MP time, his teams do have lots of the ball - but it's often non-threatening possession.

That was very noticeable today, with Spurs holding possession, like we did last season, for long periods, but with little threat. Spurs also played without width just as we often did under MP. A big difference we showed today was width, willingness to go direct with long balls and a player like Mane running at the defence and creating possibilities. The only thing I miss from MP's days is the sustained press, which admittedly left us out of energy in the last 20 minutes of the game.

It's also worth a mention that Spurs were the most disrespectful fans I've seen at St Mary's to a minutes silence.

Really? Thought it was fine, people arriving late who didn't know about it were told to shut up.

It's also worth a mention that Spurs were the most disrespectful fans I've seen at St Mary's to a minutes silence.

Didn't notice that however I did laugh when their left back was stretchered off injured, Saints fans all applauded him and the Spurs fans ignored him and carried on chanting.

It's not worth a mention, because it's not relevant, their support was alright today.

Spurs support is always good, better than most, lack a bit of identity if anything.

Edited by Sour Mash

It's not worth a mention, because it's not relevant, their support was alright today.

Spurs support is always good, better than most, lack a bit of identity if anything.

Spent a lot of time hanging that poor Arsenal fan from a string from what I could hear.

They must have the biggest disparity between noise made by home and away support.

Really? Thought the atmosphere was quite muted today.... There has been far today this season.

Not sure which quiet bit of the ground you were in, its well rehearsed that the sound sometimes / often does not travel, but the atmosphere was very good yesterday in the Kingsland / Northam corner at least

I've a sneaky feeling we'll never see Morgan plating for Saints again after his injury yesterday. :(

It occurred to me that if it is a nasty ligament injury, could be the worst of both worlds. Another j rod, no player, hefty wages, no fee to replace him. :(