Saints v Spurs - post match reaction

Smirking_Saint

But for Koeman atrocious substitutions against Stoke and Spurs we'd be right up there competing for Champions League instead of Europa League and 95% chance of relegation next season

We e had most of the season to get the extra couple of wins that we needed. It wasn't just these two games.

I was disappointed with not winning a game we should have won, but I got over it very quickly. My only concern for next season is that we seem to be concentrating way too much on bringing in players with a Dutch connection. We supposedly have an excellent scouting system, but it seems to be being overlooked to some extent.

If we had come back from 1-0 down and 2-1 down it would feel like a win. The opposite feels like a loss. Our best performance for some time though.

Spurs were like the scrappy underdogs, squeezing a draw out of the game.

We were the boss man, who just happened to c*ck up.

Feels more like a disappointed top four team, than a loss..... :)

s.davis bangs in those three chances he had and it would have been a comfortable win.

didn't even realise kane was on the pitch till about twenty minutes of the second half.

great atmosphere at sms yesterday.

still in with a shout of 5/6 place with the baggies doing us a favour.

coys

Tbh as pleased as I am with the draw it does feel like 2 points dropped considering the position we were in during the game of having taken the lead twice. Their first goal shouldn't have stood but had Steven Davis put even one of those chances in it would've changed the dynamic of the game completely with us being able to take control of the game and frustrate them, rather than leaving ourselves a bit open for them to equalise after we went 2-1 up.

Still though a very encouraging performance and if we continue to play like that we should finish 6th considering Spurs still have some tough games left.

From your repeated references to family ties, I can only assume that the truth has been staring us in the face and that you're actually Davis' mum, here to defend him from those nasty brutes who think he's decent enough for a place on the bench of a top-half premier league team, but not good enough to start if they want to, y'know, actually score a few goals. As others have said, Davis gave Dier yards of space in which to cross for Spurs' first equaliser, and then he failed to trouble the keeper with any of three ludicrously gilt-edged chances in front of goal. I've always said that I like him as an option on the bench when his industry often helped us close out games under Poch, but he's simply not decisive enough to be our main attacking midfielder, either in his passing and especially not in his shooting.

And you must be JWP's Grandfather.

Poch was going on about possession and I still cant believe the figures quoted. But we were clearly the strongest team out there yesterday and should have come away with the 3 points.

Thats the point though, its typical pochettino. Same as when he was here, they had all the ball (64% possession) and did very little with it. 4 shots, 2 on target, 2 goals. We had 13 shots, 4 on target, 2 goals, but at least we gave ourselves a chance of winning it. We are a lot more entertaining to watch under big ron.

Thats the point though, its typical pochettino. Same as when he was here, they had all the ball (64% possession) and did very little with it. 4 shots, 2 on target, 2 goals. We had 13 shots, 4 on target, 2 goals, but at least we gave ourselves a chance of winning it. We are a lot more entertaining to watch under big ron.

Still think we were more entertaining under pochetinno -at this time last season we had scored more goals than this season (and that's including the eight against Sunderland). We also tended to create more chances. But I think Koeman gives us a moyes-like resilience and consistency that is absolutely priceless in a league that's as unrelenting and hard-fought as the prem.

Still think we were more entertaining under pochetinno -at this time last season we had scored more goals than this season (and that's including the eight against Sunderland). We also tended to create more chances. But I think Koeman gives us a moyes-like resilience and consistency that is absolutely priceless in a league that's as unrelenting and hard-fought as the prem.

There isnt a lot of difference between how we set up under poch and how we set up under koeman IMO. The main being that poch employed a high press and Koeman prefers better defensive organisation.

Well said.

It really annoys me how much credit Poch is given for our "exciting to watch, high scoring" football.

Like most of the pundits, a Guardian article yesterday praised him for that, mentioning winning the Man city game as pivotal.

No mention of the 1st game of the season v city under Adkins. Coming back from behind twice, scoring 2 goals....

We were scoring plenty playing attractive football before Poch, but we were letting in too many goals.

He certainly improved our defence, and ultimately our form, but the scoring declined, even with the high tempo pressing, and I saw a lot of dull and frustrating 'possession based' football.

I for one don't enjoy watching all that sideways/backwards passing and Chuckle brothers crap.

It's statistical fact that RK has improved our defence massively compared to Poch, and we play more attractive and exciting football as well.

I'm not so sure about that. Always got the feeling under MP that although we kept hold of the ball well in defence and midfield, it usually felt like a surprise when we actually scored. Under RK, its usually a surprise that we hadn't scored earlier. Either way, I definitely prefer watching the way we play now to last seasons fare.

There isnt a lot of difference between how we set up under poch and how we set up under koeman IMO. The main being that poch employed a high press and Koeman prefers better defensive organisation.

The other big difference is that the forward players interchanged a lot more under MP whereas they hold more fixed positions under Koeman. The attitude to possession is also fundamentally different. We ran out of steam towards the end once Jrod went down but I always felt we were more of a threat under MP. Poor finishing let us down whereas carving out opportunities has been the issue this season.

Edited by shurlock

The other big difference is that the forward players interchanged a lot more under MP whereas they hold more fixed positions under Koeman. The attitude to possession is also fundamentally different. We ran out of steam towards the end once Jrod went down but I always felt we were more of a threat under MP. Poor finishing let us down whereas carving out opportunities has been the issue this season.

Yeah I can agree with that, Koeman allows a bit more of a risk to his game, where as Poch was possession for possessions sake, as you would expect from a follower of Bielsa.

I loved watching Poch, as a coach myself the effort that must of gone into that training is breathtaking, you cant play a high press without effective 'triggers' it was a joy.

Who do you coach, Smirking Saint?

Nothing professional, did a bit for Saints community when I was younger, coached for a kids coaching company for a bit, now I coach Saturday league. Read a lot though, watch a lot of coaching stuff so I enjoy it more than anything. Id love to go into professional coaching and had opportunity but theres no real money there unless you're very lucky.

For those reasons I really admired what Poch brought to the team.

as if scoring with your hand wasn't enough of an insult to bear (Lamela):x ....is scoring with your hand a part of the Argentine FA's coaching manual?....or?

...buy now I read that Mauricio Pochettino " has forgiven the Saints' fans for the hostile reception "....who needs to forgive who?

....what did he expect?..... garlands of flowers and a pathway of palm branches ? If he loved Southampton as much as he mouthes he wouldn't have left in the first place.

As it is ......my respect for Ronald Koeman has increased even more, after what he had to face upto last July....

Good to hear Savage and Shearer both agreeing that Saints should have had another defender in the Team of the Year, as they had the best defence in the division. Fonte nominated by both of them over Cahill, but Clyne couldn't have been far behind either. But there you are, typically the glory teams get the edge in these sorts of decisions.

Apart from that he played well. He'll learn from it and be even better in the future. I watched the goal again on MOTD2 and for some reason Maya just takes a step forward when the pass is made to Chadli leaving him one step behind. He was watching the ball instead of the player.

Yeah I can agree with that, Koeman allows a bit more of a risk to his game, where as Poch was possession for possessions sake, as you would expect from a follower of Bielsa.

I loved watching Poch, as a coach myself the effort that must of gone into that training is breathtaking, you cant play a high press without effective 'triggers' it was a joy.

Yes, watching Spurs play for the first 20 minutes at the weekend did make me feel a little nostalgic for Saints under Pochettino last year. That was some season.

But then Koeman's Saints took over... and I feel more confident with how we play now.

We've been so spoilt the past two seasons.

I'm also a coach and that was the most impressive thing for me when MoPo replaced NA.

I noticed it within minutes of his first game at home to Everton. I literally couldn't believe what i was seeing, what should of taken months (some coaches even longer) he got it working in 2 weeks!

Even Jason Puncheon was pressing all over the place!

He didnt put a a foot wrong other than that though to be fair to him. Looks a better and better cb every game he plays

Until that point I think he was man of the match. I still don't think it was really all of his fault, it resulted from a ridiculous back heel from Pelle when he should have held on to possession, and Bertrand and K Davis are equally culpable. But good to see Maya manning up.

Fair play to him, but I would have said that Bertrand had a hand in it too only because Chadli was nibbling away at Ryan off the ball just before the goal all the way down the wing from their box into our half, even a naughty little elbow back into Ryan's chest which no big deal was made of (my mate sat alongside me spotted it at the same time) they "kissed and made up" but moments later Chadli was off after the ball to slot home it was like Ryan had just switched off momentarily almost in relief of keeping self control and that the pest had moved away.

Still at the end of the day it was an entertaining game, would have been nice to have beaten them, but league position and points had it down as an even contest.

Pelle's second goal was a thing of beauty, Mane to Long first touch of the game delivered with all the right pace height and accuracy then met with perfection by Graziano to beat Lloris.

Apart from that he played well. He'll learn from it and be even better in the future. I watched the goal again on MOTD2 and for some reason Maya just takes a step forward when the pass is made to Chadli leaving him one step behind. He was watching the ball instead of the player.

His biggest weaknesses are stepping forward to try and win balls he's never going to get and going under headers. He managed 90 minutes without doing the latter on Saturday, unfortunately he cost us 2 points with the former.

Not sure why the Kelvin hate, if I'd been done at the near post as often as him I'd be showing the striker across me from that position as well. Maybe it's not a near post thing, maybe it's a right side thing?

Simple facts are that with Forster and either Wanyama or Schneiderlin missing we don't have a strong enough midfield OR defence to beat a top half side because whilst Alderweireld is a superb centre back, he's not anything like as good as our two DM starters in that role, and it weakens the defence as well. Our first eleven is top 4, our squad is top 7.

Fair play to him, but I would have said that Bertrand had a hand in it too only because Chadli was nibbling away at Ryan off the ball just before the goal all the way down the wing from their box into our half, even a naughty little elbow back into Ryan's chest which no big deal was made of (my mate sat alongside me spotted it at the same time) they "kissed and made up" but moments later Chadli was off after the ball to slot home it was like Ryan had just switched off momentarily almost in relief of keeping self control and that the pest had moved away.

Still at the end of the day it was an entertaining game, would have been nice to have beaten them, but league position and points had it down as an even contest.

Pelle's second goal was a thing of beauty, Mane to Long first touch of the game delivered with all the right pace height and accuracy then met with perfection by Graziano to beat Lloris.

The left back isn't to blame for the centre back not being tight enough to his man to put a challenge in before the opponent shoots.

His biggest weaknesses are stepping forward to try and win balls he's never going to get and going under headers. He managed 90 minutes without doing the latter on Saturday, unfortunately he cost us 2 points with the former.

Not sure why the Kelvin hate, if I'd been done at the near post as often as him I'd be showing the striker across me from that position as well. Maybe it's not a near post thing, maybe it's a right side thing?

Simple facts are that with Forster and either Wanyama or Schneiderlin missing we don't have a strong enough midfield OR defence to beat a top half side because whilst Alderweireld is a superb centre back, he's not anything like as good as our two DM starters in that role, and it weakens the defence as well. Our first eleven is top 4, our squad is top 7.

Kelvin also took a step to his right and was on the wrong foot just before Lamela elbowed the ball into goal. I sit in central Kingsland and I don't think any of us could quite work out what had happened. I don't think it should have been allowed.

Kelvin also took a step to his right and was on the wrong foot just before Lamela elbowed the ball into goal. I sit in central Kingsland and I don't think any of us could quite work out what had happened. I don't think it should have been allowed.

Bloody right it shouldn't, Canal+ commentators couldn't believe that it was allowed to stand, put it down to Nemesis myself though, retribution for causing our first goal by excessive pitch watering, Nemesis always turns up, maybe sooner, maybe later but regular as gravity.

I didn't see it on the day because of position but saw the 2nd goal on tv, yet again S Davis was the closest to Dier before the pass and because he doesn't press but stands off, the pass was allowed. If Davis had stepped forward and blocked Dier that pass couldn't have been made. He did the same against Coutino if he had stepped forward Liverpool wouldn't have scored. It is my biggest criticism of his game, he floats around in front of the ball but rarely closes down tight preferring to hold 5 yds short without pressing. Our defenders, defensive midfielders press in tight but Davis gives too much room.

Edited by derry

Only just seen the tv coverage...Hit him on the arm? :scared:

He pulled his arms in and it looks like it hit him right on his clenched fist, the only way he could generate that power!

Call me a cynic but when a professional footballer has a ball hit him on the fist and go in, my first thought isn't accidental.

As for Kelvin, he isn't Forster so we should look to replace him with a safe pair of hands like Guzan, Krul, Begovic, Federici or even Hart etc.

As for Kelvin, he isn't Forster so we should look to replace him with a safe pair of hands like Guzan, Krul, Begovic, Federici or even Hart etc.

Joking obviously. He had a great game apart from that, and I think all of those keepers are good options, they've all had their moments of madness in recent memory including Forster.