Breaking News: Fifa officials arrested.

CHAPEL END CHARLIE

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33005152

UK Sport Secretary John Whittingdale MP says we "have the facilities in this country", but we don't.

England's original 2018 bid included...

- A new stadium in Nottingham

- Expanding and improving Bristol City's stadium or building a new one

- Expanding and improving Hillsborough

- Expanding and improving Elland Road

- Expanding stadium:mk

- Expanding Home Park

Derby, Leicester, Portsmouth and Hull also made bids but didn't get on the final list of the England 2018 bid. All would need big changes to their stadiums.

UK Sport Secretary John Whittingdale MP says we "have the facilities in this country", but we don't.

Wembley

Olympic Stadium

Twickenham

Emirates

Villa Park

Old trafford

St James Park

Stadium of Light

Molynuex (sp)

Anfield (about to be extended)

Etihad

Stamford Bridge

I think we do have the facilities

Throw in redeveloped White Hart Lane

Throw in grounds like SMS which would be fairly easy (and quick) to add an additional tier

If you are redeveloping stadiums, then you don't "have the facilities" as he claimed.

- White Hart Lane isn't being redeveloped, they are building a new stadium.

- Molineux has a capacity of 31,000

- Anfield is currently being expanded

- you have listed 5 London stadiums

Edited by Matthew Le God

We clearly do have the facilities in this country - at least 30 stadia capable of holding 25,000 people plus and a huge number of hotels and training grounds. The fact that the FA 2018 bid included improvements to those existing facilities is irrelevant.

If you are redeveloping stadiums, then you don't "have the facilities" as he claimed.

- White Hart Lane isn't being redeveloped, they are building a new stadium.

- Molineux has a capacity of 31,000

- Twickenham won't allow football to be played on it

- Anfield is currently being expanded

- you have listed 5 London stadiums

how do you know for a fact you cant play football on twickenham. When money talks and all that

I could not care less if I named 10 stadiums in London. If an emergency happened, we would be able to hold a world cup at very short notice

We clearly do have the facilities in this country - at least 30 stadia capable of holding 25,000 people plus and a huge number of hotels and training grounds. The fact that the FA 2018 bid included improvements to those existing facilities is irrelevant.

The requirements would have to be loosened (which could happen in an emergency relocation), as we don't have enough stadiums of the right size (40-45k+), nor the right number of 5* hotels in certain cities. Plus in FIFA's rules you can't have a large number of stadiums in one city, although they seem to have been lax with most of the Qatar stadiums being very close to Doha.

The requirements would have to be loosened (which could happen in an emergency relocation), as we don't have enough stadiums of the right size (40-45k+), nor the right number of 5* hotels in certain cities. Plus in FIFA's rules you can't have a large number of stadiums in one city, although they seem to have been lax with most of the Qatar stadiums being very close to Doha.

like I said, in an emergency, we would be able to host a world cup.

I do not care what the current FIFA rules are. In an emergency, rules would have to be relaxed and we would be able to host a world cup

Now, if we were awarded the 2022 world cup in/by 2020. we would be able to host a full on world cup.

not too sure what you need to argue that point. it is clear we could on either instance

Don't forget if we were asked yo step in, there's Wales & Scotland which has stadiums that could be used.

Also if another country is asked to step in, in an emergency, the facility requirements for hosting would no doubt be reviewed depending on time left.

IMO England could quite easily host if required at short notice, particularly with the assistance of its immediate neighbours.

I'm fed up with the politicians and Dyke banging on about the Qatar WC, currently there is no reason to strip Qatar of its tournament and they should stay silent, until there is evidence of a corrupt vote. I'm happy for it not to take place there from the perspective of it's a stupid place to hold it and the countless deaths that have occurred and will no doubt continue in building the infrastructure.

Also, it's worth remembering the gifts the England FA gave to the FIFA executive wives and the fact Dyke has accepted not one but six watches during his time as FA chairman.

I do find Dyke's ejaculations pretty hypocritical.

The FA will have known for decades that FIFA is corrupt but has done precisely nothing about it.

Just because a couple of legal authorities have now stepped in we seem to be desperate to assert a moral highround. We may not have given or taken any bribes overtly but we've been culpable by association and silent compliance.

More evidence comes to light!

2006 FIFA World Cup[edit]

Bids:

Brazil

England

Germany

Morocco

South Africa

On July 6, 2000, the host selection meeting was held for the sixth straight time in Zurich. Brazil withdrew its bid three days before the vote, and the field was narrowed to four. This was the first selection in which more than one vote round was required. Three votes were eventually needed. Germany was at least tied for first in each of the three votes, and ended up defeating South Africa by only one vote after an odd abstention (see below).

Results

Nation Vote

1 2 3

Germany 10 11 12

South Africa 6 11 11

England 5 2 0

Morocco 2 0 0

Total votes 23 24 23

Controversy[edit]

The controversy over the decision to award the 2006 FIFA World Cup to Germany led to a further change in practice. The final tally was 12 votes to 11 in favour of Germany over the contenders South Africa, who had been favorites to win. New Zealand FIFA member Charlie Dempsey, who was instructed to vote for South Africa by the Oceania Football Confederation, abstained from voting at the last minute. If he had voted for the South African bid, the tally would have been 12–12, giving the decision to FIFA President Sepp Blatter, who, it was widely believed, would then have voted for South Africa.[7] Dempsey was among eight members of the Executive Committee to receive a fax by editors of the German satirical magazine Titanic on Wednesday, the night before the vote, promising a cuckoo clock and Black Forest ham in exchange for voting for Germany. He argued that the pressure from all sides including "an attempt to bribe" him had become too much for him.[8]

Consequently, FIFA decided to rotate the hosting of the final tournaments between its constituent confederations until the selection of the host for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in 2007, when they announced that they will no longer continue with their continental rotation policy

England's original 2018 bid included...

- A new stadium in Nottingham

- Expanding and improving Bristol City's stadium or building a new one

- Expanding and improving Hillsborough

- Expanding and improving Elland Road

- Expanding stadium:mk

- Expanding Home Park

Derby, Leicester, Portsmouth and Hull also made bids but didn't get on the final list of the England 2018 bid. All would need big changes to their stadiums.

Make it the United Kingdom and we certainly do.

Celtic Park

Ibrox

Murrayfield

The Millennium Stadium

Old Trafford

The Ettihad

St James' Park

Stadium of Light

The Riverside Stadium

Anfield

Elland Road

Villa Park

Ricoh Arena

King Power Stadium

Mollineux

Stamford Bridge

Wembley

Olympic Stadium

Emirates Stadium

Redeveloped White Hart Lane

Twickenham

St Mary's

Slight Expansions/Modernisation to the following will also bring them in line:

Cardiff City Stadium

Portman Road

Brittania Stadium

Carrow Road

Ashton Gate (Rebuilding well under way)

City Ground (30,500 capacity. Big enough for the group stages)

KC Stadium

St Andrews

Goodison Park (Mainly access issues around the ground, more then big enough.)

Not to mention an established Hotel, conference and media network and transport infrastructure that copes with 4 divisions of domestic professional football and many hundreds of thousands of spectators travelling for approx 40 weeks a year.

Any suggestions that we as a United Kingdom or even England alone wouldn't be able to host a world cup tomorrow are frankly laughable, just as they would be with countries like Italy, Spain, The USA, Germany and many of the established nations on earth. That the countries wanting to host these things need to enter into massive Stadium building efforts already is part of the reason the World Cup has become so corrupt and unsustainable in the first place.... the needs of business begin to outweigh the sporting requirements, All you need are Eight modern Stadia, one for each group to host the matches and go from there. Any of the bigger countries in the world could create a workable business and logistical plan for a world cup in an evening on that basis.

Edited by Colinjb

FIFA bribed the Irish football association with 5 million Euro to not appeal the henry handball which knocked them out of wc qualifiers

Apparently they were threatening legal action and Fifa settled out of court to shut them up.

not so much wrong doing but an example of the propensity of FIFA to throw large sums of money about to make problems go away

Making it the UK would open a can o'worm around host nation surely?

Just invite Wales and Scotland in as qualifiers. I'm sure they wouldn't mind. ;) Imagine them hosting World Cup campaigns from their capitals in a British World Cup final! (Sorry Norn Iron.......)

The scots wanted no truck with a UK Olympic team, so they can eff off if they think they might get a share of the WC that we are very unlikely to get because a) it will stay in Russia and b) we will get the blame for all of this so no one will vote for us

Could Qatar finish off FIFA?

Look, I don't know what stereotypes you guys are seeing portrayed these days, but one thing I know is that the locals down here are not actually that stupid.

While it is pretty damn clear to everyone and their Dog that "something happened" to allow Qatar to win the bid to host the WC, it COULD be extremely difficult to find a smoking gun of evidence of anything actually coming out of Qatar or the organising committee.

In fact, there is already a skapegoat - Mohamed Bin Hammam. He was an the Head of the Asian Confederations and wanted to stand against Blatter last election round. Some kind of deal was done and Hammad stepped down. Subsequently he was banned for life for trying to bribe other FIFA members to vote for him.

So far, Qatar has (rightly) been able to swat away any and all allegations. So far nothing can be linked directly to them. I know some of the techniques that the FBI will be using to dig into Forensic Audits (willingly or not) of IT systems, but it will be very hard to find a smoking gun.

Which leaves us with a bad stench, and the probability of a number of proven payments to corrupt FIFA officials made by 3rd parties over the years (possibly some by Bin Hammam himself). His lifetime ban was just too convenient for all the parties. So, IMHO, there is a possibility that evidence could be produced (maybe even Blatter himself could be linked) to some form of wrong doing with the bid (and that is without the whole withholding of the Technical Committee's report FFS).

There could be enough evidence for the world of Football to say NO to a Qatar WC. But not enough to take direct legal action against them - (Think here of Andrew Jennings - made all those allegations over so many years but never got sued by FIFA for Libel or Defamation).

Qatar have a binding contract with FIFA. That gets cancelled. FIFA would get sued and Qatar has spent well over US$5 billion on the infrastructure so far. Which is the amount that FIFA have in the bank.

The Bid could be found to have been corrupt, Qatar COULD actually be "not proven guilty" and sue the ass off FIFA.

Now. For the record I believe it is right that the Middle East holds the WC. The PROBLEM is the only current candidates were UAE & Qatar. UAE actually has a football league, hotels & infrastructure but is more interested in finding a way to hold an Olympics down the line (2030 onwards) when the Nation has developed better. IMHO the millions of fans here who helped Saints earn more money through the TV rights DESERVE a WC. It's just that Egypt, Iran, Iraq Algeria & Tunisia could never afford it (under old FIFA ways) let alone provide security. But Qatar? Where you will need to book into a 5 Star Hotel to get a Visa on Arrival and could be arrested if you shared a room with a mate? Where you couldn't get a Bud in the stands? Seriously?

Meanwhile. One thing I DO know. The "Implosion of FIFA threads" on here could last longer than the Pompey Takeover Saga. The bad news just ain't gonna stop coming for them

I couldn't think of a region that deserves a World Cup less than the Middle East to be honest. It's offered precious little to World Cup football except got the odd sh!t team that's got through to the group stage just because the qualification system favours them over better teams from Europe.

If the countries are not killing each other over some pathetic religion they are mainly run by corrupt governments riddled with greed with little interest in human rights or fair democracy and often intolerant, sexist and homophobic. A good fit with FIFA in its current form, and the opposite of sporting fair play.

It would be fantastic if the World Cup is moved from Qatar, I don't think hardly anyone in football wants them to have it and this whole FIFA shambles opens the door for it to happen. Their whole bid was bullsh!t anyway 'air conditioned stadiums etc' I expect it could easily be stripped from them for winning the bid under false pretences.

Russia are going to keep it. If anyone thinks that FIFA are going to **** off Putin...... Come to that, the money that the Qataris have in the game would be missed by certain people (supposedly why France and Spain voted for Blatter), so I am not wholly sure that it will get taken from them either.

Don't forget if we were asked yo step in, there's Wales & Scotland which has stadiums that could be used.

Also if another country is asked to step in, in an emergency, the facility requirements for hosting would no doubt be reviewed depending on time left.

IMO England could quite easily host if required at short notice, particularly with the assistance of its immediate neighbours.

It definitely makes sense for Wales & Scotland to get involved given that there are several stadia across those countries that could host World Cup games tomorrow if needed and we all share the same land mass so travelling would be easy peasy. The only thing is that Northern Ireland would feel left out, but ultimately who gives a f*ck? Would save the FA a lot of money on uneccessary developments to stadiums that will never be used again (MK Dons & Plymouth spring to mind from the original bid)

At this point in the post, I had a list of stadiums but failed to see that colinjb posted a much more comprehensive list above. I'll get my coat..

All you need are Eight modern Stadia, one for each group to host the matches and go from there.

I would suggest you need 16: two stadia per group, so simultaneous matches could happen at crucial stages. I suppose some groups could share a stadium cos not all matches happen at once.

But I'm just nit-picking... I agree with most of what you said.