Breaking News: Fifa officials arrested.

CHAPEL END CHARLIE

Uefa calling for the vote to be postponed

To be honest, UEFA has been pathetic in the way it has kowtowed to FIFA. It needs to grow a pair, withdraw from FIFA (if it refuses to change) and set up by itself. If we missed out on a WC or two. so be it. The Euros are a higher standard (generally) and would be a good enough alternative until things were sorted out.

Blatter is either corrupt himself or incompetent to not know what has been happening. He cannot have it both ways.

Either way he should withdraw but we all know it won't happen.

He is a megalomaniac.

Let's us have a poll on that one :

Put me down for a) Corrupt

:)

Going into PTS nutjob territory, now would be a good time for all Football fans everywhere to learn the term FCPA.

While they may not get all of ExCon (Hmm that has ring to it) on the pure Bribery statutes, FCPA makes it pretty clear that any member of an organisation who does not instantly report a breach of the regulations "may have an issue", a defence of "I knew nothing" is pretty much invalid. Under all the training I had, in fact a Duty of Care exists in "Leadership roles". I can almost see an Al Capone type charge bringing that arrogant self important fool & his Tower of Babel down to earth

Taking that as an aside, the interview on Sky News at 10pm with Andrew Jennings elicited a look of totally shock on Adam Boulton's face. I can only imagine the Sky lawyers pooped their pants as Andrew re-iterated a number of allegations that he made on Panorama & Granada and how he had been introduced to the FBI investigative team by an ex member of MI5. He did not ease up so he basically made allegations against everyone in FIFA and said "Come sue me"

There are a couple of lovely ironies, 1) a batty old English Journo may have supplied the evidence that started the FBI Journey and 2) the concept of the IRS & FBI guys humming "We're coming for you" throughout their insanely damaging (to FIFA) Presser.

The World needs a clean FIFA and fast otherwise Florida Marlin's post in the lounge will become a very clear probability

The (football) world has known of this for years and so have their governments including the EU so why has it been necessary for the US to take a stance on this rather than one of them?

I guess for two reasons. 1. because the corruption is (hopefully) mostly not in UEFA but in the African. American and Asian Federations 2. Because the Swiss have built their economy on keeping other people's dirty secrets.

I guess for two reasons. 1. because the corruption is (hopefully) mostly not in UEFA but in the African. American and Asian Federations 2. Because the Swiss have built their economy on keeping other people's dirty secrets.

Apparently the US feel that whenever fraud is committed using the US dollar as currency it gives them a mandate to seek prosecution, and thank god it does. Well done America.

Id be quite happy for England to withdraw from FIFA competitions until this has been dealt with, as I think all of the European marquee teams should. France, Germany, Spain, Nederlands etc... wouldn't be much of a world cup to market without these.

To be honest I think FIFA itself should be dismantled and replaced with a properly regulated governing body. Will never happen though, just like the Olympics, it has become an engine for selling prestige to the highest bidder.

It's clear to see what the world thinks of Fifa and blatter alone. It's quite clearly corrupt with the way he's stayed in power for so long, just hope they finally get the dirt on him which is obviously there somewhere.

It's OK. Batter just said he will turn it around and that he was unable to keep an eye on everyone that works/worked with him.

Phew!!!

I thought that rather amusing. OK, it's true he can't keep an eye on everyone, but we are talking about head of federations and vice presidents here. So if he can't keep an eye on them, then who (apart from himself) does he keep an eye on?

I thought that rather amusing. OK, it's true he can't keep an eye on everyone, but we are talking about head of federations and vice presidents here. So if he can't keep an eye on them, then who (apart from himself) does he keep an eye on?

Women football teams, probably.

All well and good for platini to have stomach pains over FIFA. Yet he voted for Qatar and all that.

Basically, UEFA should pull out (if they had the minerals) as that will be that.

FIFA and world cups would be pointless and not viable for sponsors if the Europeans were not playing

Edited by Batman

Will post what I posted on the other forum here...

Had the 'joy' of meeting Sepp Blatter a year or so ago. Every inch the politician and paraded himself as if he was a world leader. I asked him about Qatari workers rights and he was exceptionally dismissive, effectively saying there was no proof. On the issue of voting for the 2018/2022 world cup, he said that the corrupt individuals had been kicked off the executive. I asked him if this was the case, given that they were corrupt at the time of the vote, shouldn't there be a revote? He just tried to push that the issue is pretty much now closed and that they can move on. I also asked him, even if he is clean from the corruption, the fact that so much has been found under his watch, shouldn't he take some responsibility for that. Again, just flapped aside as if somehow he is in some bubble of purity.

All well and good for platini to have stomach pains over FIFA. Yet he voted for Qatar and all that.

Basically, UEFA should pull out (if they had the minerals) as that will be that.

FIFA and world cups would be pointless and not viable for sponsors if the Europeans were not playing

Greg Dyke (Chair of FA) is saying the vote should go ahead. Not sure why he would say that unless:

1. He thinks they have enough numbers to get Blatter out

2. He thinks by Blatter staying it will explode the organisation and making rebuilding from the ground up easier.

3. He is a useless tactician

Lets hope its 1 or 2.

Thanks for the plug, Phil.

I should have posted this on this 'ere thread, instead of on the 'Fifa about to implode' thread in The Lounge.

All I will say, is be careful what you wish for.

It's an awful comparison to make and I expect to take some stick, but as we have seen in the Middle East, when you create a power vacuum, something will fill it.

"Meanwhile, up in the penthouse of News Corp towers in New York, Rupert Murdoch is doing his best Monty Burns impression, rubbing his hands together and breathing; "Excellent."

Fifa might be as hooky as hell, but football needs a global governing body.

Without one, football will descend into anarchy. With no global governance the game will fragment, and the likes of Murdoch will cherry-pick the best bits for their own ends.

I've blathered on before that Murdoch would love to do a Kerry Packer and set up a rival circus in association with top clubs who hate the fact that Fifa rules dictate they must release player for international duty to play in Fifa sanctioned competitions like the World Cup and Confederation championships.

Up until now, clubs have always fought shy, but if Fifa fragments, there will be nothing to stop the game's biggest clubs sticking two fingers up and going off to form their own TV-backed European/World league.

All it requires are the four top clubs from England, Germany, Spain and Italy, a few other big clubs from France, Holland, Portugal, a couple from Russia (now that they have money), mix in some Asian clubs, a few from the Americas (north and south), and Australasia and you've got a world league to rival the World Cup.

Actually, it won't rival the World Cup, because without Fifa's controlling hand, the clubs won't have to release their players for that, and can retain them to play in the World League, or whatever you care to call it. The World Cup as we know it will cease to exist.

I did speculate the 2022 tournament in Qatar might be the straw the breaks the clubs' backs, and could be the last World Cup as we know it. I might amend that forecast.

If Fifa implodes as a result of this, we might have already seen our last World Cup.

Think this is too far-fetched? I bet even now feelers are being put out among the G20, or how many clubs are in the elite group these days.

And it's certainly a scenario that was war-gamed among the BBC corridors of power several years ago.

There is an easy way to oust Blatter.

His power base are the areas mentioned in the US Indictment, Africa, Asia & The Americas. They support him because "Blatter has developed football in those regions". The FA's all do very nicely out of their tournaments, Asia Cup, African Nations, Copa Americas etc.

European Clubs are "not keen" on releasing their players for thos long tournaments and Internationals with Long Haul travel

UEFA need to withdraw from FIFA, then the European Leagues can refuse to release players for those events, which would be greatly devalued and the FA's of those Regions would see their income streams fall.

A tactician could achieve that effect by simply WARNING those regions of the implications. #stopthegravytrain Blatter created it and that is why he gets the support. Hurt it but give them a way out.

Yes of course it is Blackmail, but when i that a surprise in World Football

There is an easy way to oust Blatter.

His power base are the areas mentioned in the US Indictment, Africa, Asia & The Americas. They support him because "Blatter has developed football in those regions". The FA's all do very nicely out of their tournaments, Asia Cup, African Nations, Copa Americas etc.

European Clubs are "not keen" on releasing their players for thos long tournaments and Internationals withLong Haul travel

UEFA need to withdraw from FIFA, then the European Leagues can refuse to release players for those events, which would be greatly devalued and the FA's of those Regions would see their income streams fall.

A tactician could achieve that effect by simply WARNING those regions of the implications. #stopthegravytrain Blatter created it and that is why he gets the support. Hurt it but give them a way out.

Yes of course it is Blackmail, but when i that a surprise in World Football

Except, of course, when it suits them.

Those same big clubs who complain about the travel their players have to undertake for international duty are the first to jet off on lucrative tours to far-flung places to raise their profile.

If anything brings Blatter down and spells the end of Fifa as we know it, it will be the clubs.

Clubs are gaining more confidence in the power the hold with their control of players.

For some time now the England manager has had to kow-tow (or work with, as some might say) to clubs' demands to restrict the use of their players in friendlies and we all know that players are pulled out of international duty on the flimsiest of pretexts.

The clubs will need little encouragement to play an even tougher brand of hardball if they sense they can wrest control of the game and it could be they take advantage of which ever way the vote goes tomorrow.

Should Prince Ali win, they could sniff fresh blood and test out the new boy, if Blatter wins, they can throw up their hands in mock disgust and despair at how the game is being run and convince a disillusioned public that they are going off and doing their own thing for the good of football.

Thanks for the plug, Phil.

I should have posted this on this 'ere thread, instead of on the 'Fifa about to implode' thread in The Lounge.

All I will say, is be careful what you wish for.

It's an awful comparison to make and I expect to take some stick, but as we have seen in the Middle East, when you create a power vacuum, something will fill it.

"Meanwhile, up in the penthouse of News Corp towers in New York, Rupert Murdoch is doing his best Monty Burns impression, rubbing his hands together and breathing; "Excellent."

Fifa might be as hooky as hell, but football needs a global governing body.

Without one, football will descend into anarchy. With no global governance the game will fragment, and the likes of Murdoch will cherry-pick the best bits for their own ends.

I've blathered on before that Murdoch would love to do a Kerry Packer and set up a rival circus in association with top clubs who hate the fact that Fifa rules dictate they must release player for international duty to play in Fifa sanctioned competitions like the World Cup and Confederation championships.

Up until now, clubs have always fought shy, but if Fifa fragments, there will be nothing to stop the game's biggest clubs sticking two fingers up and going off to form their own TV-backed European/World league.

All it requires are the four top clubs from England, Germany, Spain and Italy, a few other big clubs from France, Holland, Portugal, a couple from Russia (now that they have money), mix in some Asian clubs, a few from the Americas (north and south), and Australasia and you've got a world league to rival the World Cup.

Actually, it won't rival the World Cup, because without Fifa's controlling hand, the clubs won't have to release their players for that, and can retain them to play in the World League, or whatever you care to call it. The World Cup as we know it will cease to exist.

I did speculate the 2022 tournament in Qatar might be the straw the breaks the clubs' backs, and could be the last World Cup as we know it. I might amend that forecast.

If Fifa implodes as a result of this, we might have already seen our last World Cup.

Think this is too far-fetched? I bet even now feelers are being put out among the G20, or how many clubs are in the elite group these days.

And it's certainly a scenario that was war-gamed among the BBC corridors of power several years ago.

To be fair I highly doubt that ISIS could do a worse job than Blatter et al...

Edited by JxgrSaint

Tomorrow Corriere dello Sport reports that Fifa did match-fixing at World Cup 2002 through referees

Anything anyone can recall from that world cup that seemed dodgy? I was only about 13 at the time so can only really remember how wierd ronaldinhios goal against seaman was for us!

Anything anyone can recall from that world cup that seemed dodgy? I was only about 13 at the time so can only really remember how wierd ronaldinhios goal against seaman was for us!

suggesting that the South Korean knock out games were dodgy.

This on reddit

Dodgy as fork, one of the home nations (S.Korea) managed to make the semis even though their team played like a girls U11

tyro league side, usual final of course, Brazil-Germany. Spain beat S Korea at least 2-O, but they didn't because 2 perfectly good goals were disallowed and the Koreans won on penalties at the end.

Edited by Window Cleaner

What a mess this is. If the match-fixing stuff is true, there's no way back for Fifa? Time to break ranks and do our own thing.

Except that there is reason to believe matching fixing is more wide spread that just this and England is not immune. In fact, your libel laws make it somewhat difficult to properly police the game.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2746254/SCANDAL-OF-MATCH-FIXING-REVEALED-The-FA-s-secret-list-suspects-playing-England.html