Breaking News: Fifa officials arrested.

CHAPEL END CHARLIE

Agreed. It was so blatantly corrupt, I'm surprised it has lasted this long.

The thing is FIFA have a billion sat in the bank and their reason for that is that they cannot get insurance should a World Cup not go ahead. Qatar won't lose out, everyone has lined their own pockets, Qatar will get compo and the U.S. get the World Cup - everyone wins.

Gregg Dyke on the radio saying;

We will work with David Gill to push very hard for much more transparency within FIFA

Something has happened to make Blatter resign. A few days ago, he was incredibly arrogant

Very little evidence to suggest 2018 world cup is on dodgy ground

lots of evidence regarding 2022

it is absolutely ridiculous that a tiny nation from a far flung part of the world has the same weight in FIFA as say Germany, Spain or England

Many of these lesser nations voted for Blatter as he ensured that they got plenty of money.

FA's like in England, Germany and Spain do not need FIFA's money so these small nations should not be worried that their life lines (in most cases) will be stopped

The thing is FIFA have a billion sat in the bank and their reason for that is that they cannot get insurance should a World Cup not go ahead. Qatar won't lose out, everyone has lined their own pockets, Qatar will get compo and the U.S. get the World Cup - everyone wins.

LOL a billion wouldn't touch the sides of what Qatar have invested in their World cup.

Gregg Dyke on the radio saying;

We will work with David Gill to push very hard for much more transparency within FIFA

Something has happened to make Blatter resign. A few days ago, he was incredibly arrogant

Very little evidence to suggest 2018 world cup is on dodgy ground

lots of evidence regarding 2022

it is absolutely ridiculous that a tiny nation from a far flung part of the world has the same weight in FIFA as say Germany, Spain or England

Many of these lesser nations voted for Blatter as he ensured that they got plenty of money.

FA's like in England, Germany and Spain do not need FIFA's money so these small nations should not be worried that their life lines (in most cases) will be stopped

Was a great interview, that...

No ****. The only reason he jumped is because he got wind of something brewing, in my opinion.

quite funny how the the country that is up there in caring for the actual game of football the least is causing the biggest storm lol

Just on the news that the FBI are now investigating Blatter

Of course. And now he's gone, all that's left of FIFA is layer after layer of officials under investigation for industrial-scale corruption. The whole thing is going to come down like a house of cards.

Friday 29th: Sepp Blatter reelected president of FIFA.

Sunday 31st: NI Fans instigate anti-Blatter chants in friendly v Qatar.

Tuesday 2nd: Sepp Blatter resigns as president of FIFA.

Job done! :)

No ****. The only reason he jumped is because he got wind of something brewing, in my opinion.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if he decided to pop over to Moscow for an extended summer holiday with his pal Vlad. (No extradition treaty between US and Russia).

Wouldn't be at all surprised if he decided to pop over to Moscow for an extended summer holiday with his pal Vlad. (No extradition treaty between US and Russia).

I think Russia would put their own self preservation ahead of Blatter. No doubt it would harm their chances of actually hosting 2018 if they were harbouring a man accused of corruption in the bidding process. Especially if he was convicted of wrong doings in his absence.

I'd like to know why France, Spain and Brazil voted for Blatter?

Can't say for Spain and Brazil but Le Graet (pres FFF) considered Prince Ali as a non-candidate, chose Blatter as the devil you know. The opinion was basically that the good Prince just didn't know what he was doing at that level. However it could be that inside football they knew more than was generally known at that time and that the downfall of Blatter was just an event in waiting thus leaving the way clear for Platini at the next convention.

Friday 29th: Sepp Blatter reelected president of FIFA.

Sunday 31st: NI Fans instigate anti-Blatter chants in friendly v Qatar.

Tuesday 2nd: Sepp Blatter resigns as president of FIFA.

Job done! :)

Not quite. He is still FIFA president until MARCH 2016

So how is that classed as "resigning"

He's got nine months to cover his Arse

Can't say for Spain and Brazil but Le Graet (pres FFF) considered Prince Ali as a non-candidate, chose Blatter as the devil you know. The opinion was basically that the good Prince just didn't know what he was doing at that level. However it could be that inside football they knew more than was generally known at that time and that the downfall of Blatter was just an event in waiting thus leaving the way clear for Platini at the next convention.

Ive not been that impressed by Platini. He was originally Blatter's nominated successor and I cant help thinking he's been around the corruption and indirectly complicit in it for too long. The Dutch FA guy would be a better bet imo.

Ive not been that impressed by Platini. He was originally Blatter's nominated successor and I cant help thinking he's been around the corruption and indirectly complicit in it for too long. The Dutch FA guy would be a better bet imo.

Probably, however that's surely not the way Le Graet and the FFF think.

I'd like to know why France, Spain and Brazil voted for Blatter?

Because Blatter is a Hero.

(IF you park the corruption for one moment)

Blatter took the game to the world. It was, at the start of his reign a Cartel carved up between Latin America & Europe. He set up a structure that invested in developing the game globally. Japan, Korea, China, USA, Australia have all improved as footballing nations in this era, and of course, so has African football. Grassroots development, a fair share of funding have helped to improve our Premier & European Leagues as well.

Much of the people who are his "electorate" see that, and you don't have to search to far on Twitter to read articles from around the world sharing that view and condemning the FBI & English Media.

The PROBLEM of course is that wonderful Ideal managed to become so utterly and totally corrupt. The entire edifice is now rotten to the core so that so much money has been sucked out of the Developments and spent on Conferences and slush funds. It is now totally evil.

The PROBLEM is how to bring everything back together, not just cleaning up FIFA but also the FA's. Just saying "Give Figo the job" is not the answer. Whoever comes in must put in place Compliant processes but the Turkeys would be voting for Christmas. They have to vote to cut off the gravy train. Yet still must share the money to the FA's in the same way and at the same percentages/levels they have had up to date AND make it Compliant - bloody nightmare!

The best solution may actually be it's total destruction and removal of all the voting rights of the FA's.

Blatter took the game to the world. It was, at the start of his reign a Cartel carved up between Latin America & Europe. He set up a structure that invested in developing the game globally. Japan, Korea, China, USA, Australia have all improved as footballing nations in this era, and of course, so has African football. Grassroots development, a fair share of funding have helped to improve our Premier & European Leagues as well.

Much of the people who are his "electorate" see that, and you don't have to search to far on Twitter to read articles from around the world sharing that view and condemning the FBI & English Media.

The PROBLEM of course is that wonderful Ideal managed to become so utterly and totally corrupt. The entire edifice is now rotten to the core so that so much money has been sucked out of the Developments and spent on Conferences and slush funds. It is now totally evil.

The PROBLEM is how to bring everything back together, not just cleaning up FIFA but also the FA's. Just saying "Give Figo the job" is not the answer. Whoever comes in must put in place Compliant processes but the Turkeys would be voting for Christmas. They have to vote to cut off the gravy train. Yet still must share the money to the FA's in the same way and at the same percentages/levels they have had up to date AND make it Compliant - bloody nightmare!

The best solution may actually be it's total destruction and removal of all the voting rights of the FA's.

Yes I see that a large number would be very grateful for the changes in world football and funding instigated by FIFA and Blatter but why does this apply to France and Spain in particular and to a lesser degree Brazil all of whom should have been looking to disassociate themselves from the corruption and nepotism?

I haven't read into Blatter's accomplishments as much as I should but I've heard several outlets say he brought the game to the world but how much of that was a result of the internet and TV making it easier ways to view top class football from across the world? In regards to the States, I think NBC has done more over the previous 2 years than Blatter's entire tenure.

I vote Figo. Forca Portugal and stuff.

I see Zico has just thrown his hat into the ring.

without disparaging their achievements as footballers, is an ex-pro really what FIFA need to lead them into a new era. Surely you would want someone who has experience of running significant organisations and exposure to the highest levels of corporate governance.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/six-fifa-executives-added-to-interpols-most-wanted-list-2015-6

Interpol on Wednesday added six men with ties to FIFA to its most wanted list, issuing an international alert for two former FIFA officials and four executives on charges including racketeering and corruption.

Two of the men, former FIFA vice president Jack Warner of Trinidad and former executive committee member Nicolas Leoz of Paraguay, have been arrested in their home counties. Warner has since been released, and Leoz is under house arrest. The Interpol "red notice" alerts member countries that an arrest warrant has been issued for listed individuals and means they risk arrest anywhere they travel.

Others listed were Argentines Alejandro Burzaco and brothers Hugo and Mariano Jinkis, who together are accused of paying more than $100 million in bribes for media and commercial rights to soccer tournaments; and Jose Margulies, a Brazilian broadcast executive.

A statement released by Interpol said: "At the request of US authorities, Interpol Red Notices — or international wanted persons alerts — have been issued for two former FIFA officials and four corporate executives for charges including racketeering conspiracy and corruption."

The announcement from Interpol comes a day after Sepp Blatter announced he would step down as FIFA president amid the widening corruption scandal. Despite trying to distance himself from the controversy, Blatter is still being examined by US authorities as part of an ongoing investigation.

FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke has also been dragged into the scandal amid reports that he transferred $10 million in 2010 World Cup vote bribe money. Both Valcke and FIFA have denied the allegations.

A special FIFA congress will elect a new president sometime between December 2015 and March 2016, FIFA said. Until then, Blatter will remain the nominal president.

Read more: http://uk.businessinsider.com/six-fifa-executives-added-to-interpols-most-wanted-list-2015-6#ixzz3c1WvyQ9w

Could Qatar finish off FIFA?

Look, I don't know what stereotypes you guys are seeing portrayed these days, but one thing I know is that the locals down here are not actually that stupid.

While it is pretty damn clear to everyone and their Dog that "something happened" to allow Qatar to win the bid to host the WC, it COULD be extremely difficult to find a smoking gun of evidence of anything actually coming out of Qatar or the organising committee.

In fact, there is already a skapegoat - Mohamed Bin Hammam. He was an the Head of the Asian Confederations and wanted to stand against Blatter last election round. Some kind of deal was done and Hammad stepped down. Subsequently he was banned for life for trying to bribe other FIFA members to vote for him.

So far, Qatar has (rightly) been able to swat away any and all allegations. So far nothing can be linked directly to them. I know some of the techniques that the FBI will be using to dig into Forensic Audits (willingly or not) of IT systems, but it will be very hard to find a smoking gun.

Which leaves us with a bad stench, and the probability of a number of proven payments to corrupt FIFA officials made by 3rd parties over the years (possibly some by Bin Hammam himself). His lifetime ban was just too convenient for all the parties. So, IMHO, there is a possibility that evidence could be produced (maybe even Blatter himself could be linked) to some form of wrong doing with the bid (and that is without the whole withholding of the Technical Committee's report FFS).

There could be enough evidence for the world of Football to say NO to a Qatar WC. But not enough to take direct legal action against them - (Think here of Andrew Jennings - made all those allegations over so many years but never got sued by FIFA for Libel or Defamation).

Qatar have a binding contract with FIFA. That gets cancelled. FIFA would get sued and Qatar has spent well over US$5 billion on the infrastructure so far. Which is the amount that FIFA have in the bank.

The Bid could be found to have been corrupt, Qatar COULD actually be "not proven guilty" and sue the ass off FIFA.

Now. For the record I believe it is right that the Middle East holds the WC. The PROBLEM is the only current candidates were UAE & Qatar. UAE actually has a football league, hotels & infrastructure but is more interested in finding a way to hold an Olympics down the line (2030 onwards) when the Nation has developed better. IMHO the millions of fans here who helped Saints earn more money through the TV rights DESERVE a WC. It's just that Egypt, Iran, Iraq Algeria & Tunisia could never afford it (under old FIFA ways) let alone provide security. But Qatar? Where you will need to book into a 5 Star Hotel to get a Visa on Arrival and could be arrested if you shared a room with a mate? Where you couldn't get a Bud in the stands? Seriously?

Meanwhile. One thing I DO know. The "Implosion of FIFA threads" on here could last longer than the Pompey Takeover Saga. The bad news just ain't gonna stop coming for them

Chuck Blazer has admitted, in court in NY, to taking bribes in relation to the France and South Africa world cups.

What surprises me is that he has only named 2 world cups. I would have thought that they were all mired in corruption and that no WC would be awarded without a bribe or two.

What surprises me is that he has only named 2 world cups. I would have thought that they were all mired in corruption and that no WC would be awarded without a bribe or two.

Maybe they were the only two he specifically took bribes for?

Jack Warner has said he's left documents with a third party and will be telling them to release them, promising an 'avalanche of secrets' and saying 'i have kept quiet. I will do so no more'.

It's like a tsunami that's gathering pace and getting bigger and bigger, at some point it'll crash into FIFA and wash the whole corrupt system away.

Why is Blatter being allowed to continue in his role as President of FIFA ?? ( There until circa March 2016 )

I wonder how many shredders he will wear out ?

Ridiculous situation

Who has the authority to stop him if there are no charges as of yet?

This corruption and racketeering seems to be so ingrained into FIFA's ethos that these payment have become the norm. South Africa have confirmed specific payments but have said no rules have been broken. May be in FIFA's world that is the case but in the lawful, ethical world the rest of us live??

This corruption and racketeering seems to be so ingrained into FIFA's ethos that these payment have become the norm. South Africa have confirmed specific payments but have said no rules have been broken. May be in FIFA's world that is the case but in the lawful, ethical world the rest of us live??

That is why FIFA has continued to survive and thrive through scandal after scandal. In many, if not most, cultures in the world corruption like this is a way of life, and most people won't see anything wrong with it, nor why people are being arrested and charged.

They don't call it bribery and don't think it is corrupt. You just pay an intermediary to help you to get what you want. And if you don't pay you don't get.

That is why FIFA has continued to survive and thrive through scandal after scandal. In many, if not most, cultures in the world corruption like this is a way of life, and most people won't see anything wrong with it, nor why people are being arrested and charged.

They don't call it bribery and don't think it is corrupt. You just pay an intermediary to help you to get what you want. And if you don't pay you don't get.

Agree, shades of grey. One of the corrupt payments was by South Africa to notionally pay for grass roots community football activity in the COCAF area. England's 2018 bid offered grassroots development work in a number of countries worldwide. The difference is that the South African support was money that went to accounts controlled by Jack Warner, while the England offer was for delivered programmes - so less chance for fraud.

Edited by buctootim

Who has the authority to stop him if there are no charges as of yet?

Agreed, but the falacy is, everybody reported that Blatter had RESIGNED. He hasn't

He may do, but currently he hasn't. So all the Reporting is completely incorrect

In most other walks of life, if suspicion falls on someone, they are put on Gardening Leave or similar

FIFA have still yet to shoe ANY credibility in their running of their (corrupt) organisation

Utterly wrong, and should NOT be allowed to continue IMHO