Pre Season Tour

Saint Charlie

Anyone else in Salzburg for the Audi Quattro Cup? I just got here today. I've worked out where the stadium is, just need to figure out how to get there. Saints kick off just after five, with the first game at four. Presumably I'll be able to get tickets on the gate?

I'll be there!!! Watched training this morning and must say that was an excellent session. It flowed and so it should when you have 8 trainers/physio's coordinating everything. I learnt a great deal, but it wasn't that different to what I'm doing with my Oberliga Team in Vienna. The main difference was the tempo.

Isgrove, Turnball and McQueen trained with the first team. I think Turnball is rated more than Stephens.

Afterwards I drove to Innsbruck for one night and have booked into The Saints hotel for the final two nights. I will try and get a lift if I can in the team bus to the tournament. If you don't ask, you don't get.

Shame I'll miss training tomorrow.

Night all.

Edited by Andy Durman

It's not 'Juamni', it's 'Juanmi' - evidently from Juan Miguel, but I think you were just a bit confused over his name.

It is not I that's confused companero. I suggest you take a look at the team sheet and listen to the commentator.

Just one thing I noticed today in training was how many technical errors these players make. For example receiving the ball with the wrong foot or passing with the outside of the right foot when it should be with the inside of the left.

That's the difference between learning piano and being a concert pianist. The learner plays by the rules they're taught. The virtuosos don't need to.

Just one thing I noticed today in training was how many technical errors these players make. For example receiving the ball with the wrong foot or passing with the outside of the right foot when it should be with the inside of the left.

First-teamers or youngsters?

Even in the game last night you could see Ramirez lacks that extra gear he needs both with and without the ball. He has a decent stride but once he starts dribbling his head isn't up enough. The Premier League gets quicker every year. It probably comes down to money - can you justify him in the squad at the wages he reportedly earns?

Excellent accurate appraisal .....

First-teamers or youngsters?

I mostly watched the first teamers.

With regards to Ramirez I think he was a stand out player against RB Leipzig. His biggest problem for me is his positioning and that he get's caught ball watching. He played Right midfield, but didn't entirely understand what was required of him defensively. His role was to defend the player on the outside, leaving our right back to defend on the inside. Doubling up if you will. Time and time again in the first half Ramirez was out of position. What I did like was how hard he tried to get back into position. Maybe the game is too quick for him?? One thing is for sure! He's really up for it this pre-season and that's what a trainer wants to see.

I mostly watched the first teamers.

With regards to Ramirez I think he was a stand out player against RB Leipzig. His biggest problem for me is his positioning and that he get's caught ball watching. He played Right midfield, but didn't entirely understand what was required of him defensively. His role was to defend the player on the outside, leaving our right back to defend on the inside. Doubling up if you will. Time and time again in the first half Ramirez was out of position. What I did like was how hard he tried to get back into position. Maybe the game is too quick for him?? One thing is for sure! He's really up for it this pre-season and that's what a trainer wants to see.

Guess you've seen Jrod up close - how has he been running? Still that have some 'burst'?

Elite players often in training select to play with unorthodox techniques to aid ball mastery. Their foundation of receiving and passing has already been acquired, it is common for them to use unorthodox methods in training. Also at the elite level, players receive with a variety of first touches to usually cut out the line of run from a pressing player. I wouldn't read too much into this but again you saw the context of the session.

Anyone heading to Red Bull Arena tomorrow, I'm informed you need either bus 1 from stop C outside Salzburg station, or you can take an S-Bahn train. The stop is called Taxham Europark.

The Valencia boys are out and about in town right now. Hard to miss in their bright orange kit.

Flying in tomorrow. Probably head to the stadium about midday to get tickets then retire to town for a few beers

Augustinerbrau. Good traditional beer hall on the northern end of the hill that's on the west side of the river.

Augustinerbrau. Good traditional beer hall on the northern end of the hill that's on the west side of the river.

Nice. Well plan to have a couple of beers after the game also. Be on the lookout for fellow Saints

What's the crack for today's when we kick off, UK time?
Clubs will contest two 45-minute matches each, with the winners of the two semi-finals meeting in the final and the two losers playing off for third and fourth place.

Salzburg take on Werder Bremen in the first match at 3pm, followed by the clash between Southampton and Valencia at 4.05pm.

The teams are then back in action later in the afternoon, with the third place play-off at 5.10pm and the final at 6.15pm.

On BT Sport 1 or the the link above from 3pm.