Pre Season Tour

Saint Charlie

Gloriously mental second half, mainly thanks to us not being able to defend. Presumably we'll see more of the senior defenders on Saturday in Salzburg.

Some obvious positives, Juanmi, Rodriguez and Soares. With all these diminutive midfielders we've got, we need to go into every game with a bit of steel, really, as we got bullied at times there. There was also a noticeable difference in terms of the confidence to play a passing game in those conditions, RBL showed no difference in attitude than you would expect from them in good conditions, whereas we didn't look confident taking a touch in tight areas, instead resorting to going a bit too long.

Agree with this

I had reasonable hopes for Stephens and Turnbull but both poor

Also non of our U 21's showed anything positive against the equivalent of a German Championship team in existence for about 5 years

Unfortunately on this showing non of our youngsters are ready to make the step up

Agree with this

I had reasonable hopes for Stephens and Turnbull but both poor

Also non of our U 21's showed anything positive against the equivalent of a German Championship team in existence for about 5 years

Unfortunately on this showing non of our youngsters are ready to make the step up

Isgrove looked good to me

We're underestimating their standard here. Half are actually bundesliga players nabbed from RB Salzburg

for example their first half 11

Coltorti - First Choice Keeper. 6 clean Sheets / Conceded 17 Goals 21 games in 2014/15

Gipson - Free Transfer in from Stuttgart u19

Orban - €2 mill purchase this close season from Kaiserslatern

Nukan - €5 mil purchase this close season from Besiktas

Jung - First Choice left back for 2014/15 season

Hierländer - Benchwarmer for 2014/15 Season - averaged 30 mins per game in 21 matches.

Khedira - First choice CM/DM for 2014/15 Season

Ilsanker - Free Transfer in from Red Bull Salzburg

Bruno - Just Returned from Season Long Loan at Red Bull Salzburg having scored 6 in 24

Quaschner - Free Transfer in From Red Bull Salzburg

Sabitzer - Just returned from Season Long Loan at Red Bull Salzburg having scored 19 in 33.

get replacements for Toby and Morgan, and another GK, and we will maintain 7th this season, i think.

dont think we can break into top 6 considering Spurs and liverpool transfer activity.. :(

I think you're setting yourself up to be able to criticise when we don't get 7th.

get replacements for Toby and Morgan, and another GK, and we will maintain 7th this season, i think.

dont think we can break into top 6 considering Spurs and liverpool transfer activity.. :(

I don't think we'll be anywhere near 7th. Just look at the teams who've qualified for the Europa League in the past. All of them have suffered a severe dip in form in the Prem. Add in the loss of Clyne, Toby and probably Morgan and we're facing a real challenge. Yes, we'll sign replacements but we're talking about replacing the best RB in England and one of best centre backs and midfielders in Europe. I really don't see us finishing in the top half this time.

Wow that was great fun. I spent the second half standing next to Mane and talking with his agent. His agent shared his umbrella with me, which I really did appreciate. He told me that there had been no interest in Mane from Bayern and that he is very happy at Southampton.

So to the game. I think McCarthy looks an incredible athlete, but needs to learn quickly how to play right back and to read the game if he wants to be considered for the first team. He was out of position far to often.

Isgrove looked a real threat. He really is fast. I can understand why we've held onto him. Could this be the season he breaks through??

Jack Stephens and Turnbull did very well under pressure. Turnbull was caught out of position a few times and Stephens was too slow with his distribution.

Reed was very aggressive, but his passing was poor and he created very little.

Ramirez did a lot of good things, but he didn't seem comfortable playing right midfield, he really did try, won the ball a few times and held the ball very well, but he didn't do defensively what was asked of him.

I know you were there, and thanks for the report but did Stephens and Turnbull really do "very well"? We conceded 5 and JS played the whole game!

Isgrove I won't get excited about until I see him do anything in a competitive match, he has been good the last two pre seasons.

How were the new boys, and most importantly, Alpine?

Edited by Saint Charlie

I think we'll be mid table but admire your optimism.

Wow that was great fun. I spent the second half standing next to Mane and talking with his agent. His agent shared his umbrella with me, which I really did appreciate. He told me that there had been no interest in Mane from Bayern and that he is very happy at Southampton.

So to the game. I think McCarthy looks an incredible athlete, but needs to learn quickly how to play right back and to read the game if he wants to be considered for the first team. He was out of position far to often.

Isgrove looked a real threat. He really is fast. I can understand why we've held onto him. Could this be the season he breaks through??

Jack Stephens and Turnbull did very well under pressure. Turnbull was caught out of position a few times and Stephens was too slow with his distribution.

Reed was very aggressive, but his passing was poor and he created very little.

Ramirez did a lot of good things, but he didn't seem comfortable playing right midfield, he really did try, won the ball a few times and held the ball very well, but he didn't do defensively what was asked of him.

We werent aware of the KO time change so we only got in with a few minutes to spare. I did go along the stand and back to have a quick look for you, but got told to bog off by some security bloke where our players were sitting and got evils from the spectators in the rest of the stand for blocking their view, so we retreated to the half-way line on the other side.

Didnt find Bischofshofen particularly friendly, I must say; when we scored our 4th my eldest and I went nuts and got even more wrathful glares.

Hi Alpine I got in 40 minutes before kick off and went down the bottom end to watch the goalkeepers warm up. Then the rest of team came out so I went behind our dug out. The security then stopped anyone coming through from the stand area so I ended standing directly behind the dug out and was able to hear all the comments from Ronald, Erwin and Sammy. It was really interesting. I looked for you after the match, but could find you to say hello.

I thought first half was quite even, but we didn't move the ball fast enough and there seemed to be a lack of understanding of what RK wanted. I'll give you the example of McCarthy and Ramirez. When defending McCarthy should push inside and Ramirez should stay on the outside and press/block the ball. Ramirez sometimes stayed to far forward and left McCarthy too exposed. Other times McCarthy went to far forward and became out of position with a quick counter attack. Sometimes McCarthy stayed on the outside instead of tucking inside and closing the space. I'm surprised both McCarthy and Ramirez made such basic errors.

Second half after Jays goal, we became disorganized and we lost our shape. At 1-5 Ronald brought McCarthy back to left centre half and brought Shane Long on and we took control of the game.

RB Leipzig were physical and moved the ball at times with a good tempo. They also had a lot of youngsters playing second half.

Enjoyed the day looking forward to watching training tomorrow.

Enjoyed watching Ronald getting involved in the training. Still passes the ball well.

Edited by Andy Durman

From what i've seen of him, McCarthy looks far more comfortable at CB than RB. Seems a better build for a CB as well.

Agree, we were much more solid when Turnbull came off, McCarthy switched in and Cedric came on. Not sure they scored again.

Still, not up to the benchmark we set ourselves from last season, though..

Agree, we were much more solid when Turnbull came off, McCarthy switched in and Cedric came on. Not sure they scored again.

Still, not up to the benchmark we set ourselves from last season, though..

Turnbull went off at half-time and we fell apart at the back.

good to see J Rod seemingly pick up from where he left off, and the new boys on the score sheet to. i think we need to chill nothing that has happened is unexpected...maybe we thought toby would sign, he hasnt que sera. we will be fine, lets get spider gone and get clasie. its not that bad guys. COYS

Alps - would you be up for all of us clubbing together to buy you a season ticket (inclusive of return flights and accommodation)? You always go into rational posting mode for a short while after attending games during pre-season and its all rather pleasant

flowers-smiley-emoticon.gif

Alps - would you be up for all of us clubbing together to buy you a season ticket (inclusive of return flights and accommodation)? You always go into rational posting mode for a short while after attending games during pre-season and its all rather pleasant

flowers-smiley-emoticon.gif

Yes, I thought that. It makes a nice change to read his responses when he's seen a game live.

I would say that Gaston has had 1 too many opportunities here, but he would probably offer more/the same as Elia and Djuricic did - so not against keeping him, if he's happy being part of a squad.

I still don't believe English football is suited to his talents in anyway, but if we don't get a worthwhile bid this summer, then we might as well keep him.

Can't see us keeping Gaston as he's earning too much money to be a sub, but we've never really played to his strengths to be fair to him. He needs runners around him as he's always looking for a killer pass, but we've always played with a target man up front which just doesn't suit him

Can't see us keeping Gaston as he's earning too much money to be a sub, but we've never really played to his strengths to be fair to him. He needs runners around him as he's always looking for a killer pass, but we've always played with a target man up front which just doesn't suit him

Juanmi and Rodriguez are runners.

Juanmi and Rodriguez are runners.

This team will definitely suit him more (include Mane as well) compared to playing with Lambert and Lallana. But he's probably our top earner now, so I don't see how we can justify keeping him on that money if he's not going to be a regular starter

Even in the game last night you could see Ramirez lacks that extra gear he needs both with and without the ball. He has a decent stride but once he starts dribbling his head isn't up enough. The Premier League gets quicker every year. It probably comes down to money - can you justify him in the squad at the wages he reportedly earns?

I have a good hunch about Ramirez this season

(Disclaimer: my hunches have been slightly wide of the mark on one or two occasions over the last 10 years)

Ramirez could be a decent squad player but he didn't exactly set the world alight at Hull, and they went down!

On another note, just seen the goals from yesterday, two good finishes from J-Rod which is very encouraging plus a left footed finish from Soares who's a RB, right? So that too is encouraging that he has two good feet.

Has anyone seen their goals? Was wondering what they were like (or to put it bluntly, who's fault they were).

For the outlay we have put in I would give Ramirez one last chance. Some of those passes were exquisite and he we have the creative options to give him the possibility of space to work.

Wouldn't work against everyone, and it's easy enough to suss out (but equally, mark Ramirez out of it, create more space for our quick guys) and will be another option.

For the outlay we have put in I would give Ramirez one last chance. Some of those passes were exquisite and he we have the creative options to give him the possibility of space to work.

Wouldn't work against everyone, and it's easy enough to suss out (but equally, mark Ramirez out of it, create more space for our quick guys) and will be another option.

We might as well because he's worth very little on the transfer market now, when you take into account his recent form and just one year's contract left. Whether we'll actually keep him on is another matter because it's still a 2 million £ salary outlay.

Ramirez could be a decent squad player but he didn't exactly set the world alight at Hull, and they went down!

On another note, just seen the goals from yesterday, two good finishes from J-Rod which is very encouraging plus a left footed finish from Soares who's a RB, right? So that too is encouraging that he has two good feet.

Has anyone seen their goals? Was wondering what they were like (or to put it bluntly, who's fault they were).

Just found a video of highlights from the whole game.

Has J-Rod bulked up a little bit or was he always like that?

Just found a video of highlights from the whole game.

Has J-Rod bulked up a little bit or was he always like that?

He did say he'd been in the gym during his rehab and has bulked up. I'm sure Les said as much as well.

Can we at least put to sleep the idiocy about Shane Long's "accidental miskick" against Millwall last season now?

It appears the vine embedding widget doesn't work.

Edited by The9