Eljero Elia coming back?

marc_saint

I thought Les Reed said we wouldnt be making these sort of 'squad filler throwaway signings' ?

We've already signed Martina, and what he actually said was that we wouldn't be bloating the squad. I'd say loan signings which might be dependent on our progression in the EL are precisely the kind of flexibility we need. Elia is well suited for that.

We don't necessarily need a loan to buy either, as he's out of contract next summer. Gives us flexibility and him motivation.

I wonder if there were conversations between representatives of all sides in Salzburg when we were all in the same place last weekend?

Wasn't particularly impressed by him during his loan spell. Is this sort of arrival going to block opportunities out wide for the likes of Mcqueen/Isgrove/Gallagher?

I guess if Gaston is about to be shipped out again(which would be a tad disappointing) then it may make more sense. I still think there's a very good reason he's going to be available so cheap, and i'd be very put off by his rather dubious history as i would a 2nd hand car.

The opportunity is only blocked if you demonstrate in training that you are better but still don't get picked. For me Elia probably has scope to get better after a half season of premiership experience. If Koemen thinks he is good enough who am I to argue

i f we are buying squad players, i think we should be keeping Gaston, yes he didnt pan out like we hoped, but in his flashes he has shown the quality he does have, seems silly to off load him for peanuts on what we paid, give him a season as part of the team, sink or swim? more to the point pull your finger outta of your A@~ son :)

i f we are buying squad players, i think we should be keeping Gaston, yes he didnt pan out like we hoped, but in his flashes he has shown the quality he does have, seems silly to off load him for peanuts on what we paid, give him a season as part of the team, sink or swim? more to the point pull your finger outta of your A@~ son :)

The odd flash of quality is not enough for us nowadays..... Gaston is not good enough. He wasn't for us, wasn't for Hull and isn't for us now. He is careless with the ball and doesn't knit into a team..

Gaston is just not the wonder kid his billing lead us to believe ..

so lets sell him for F all, and see him fufill his potential elsewhere? we all know if went back to italy he would be awesome again, we have paid alot of money for him,and he is not a nut job like Dani! if we can not make a player with his potential work,then i would be asking questions to the coaching staff! but i do agree the ball is well and truly in his court, put up or ship out, think he's worth one more roll of the dice, i'm not his agent by the way :p and he wasn't exactly part of a great squad at hull.....

Edited by Roboze

Waste of a squad space if true. Surely we have a promising youngster somewhere in the academy who is more deserving of game time than this fairy.

Do you understand the squad system? "Promising youngsters" aren't party to the squad system and you can have as many as you like (presuming you mean by youngster that they are under 21).

Neither Gaston nor Elia is good enough for a team serious about the League, or qualifying for it again next year. I'd be disappointed if we did sign him as to me phrases like 'squad player' are just clichés for not being good enough to be in the team.

There are much better players out there and if we can't afford any of them something really doesn't make sense.

Neither Gaston nor Elia is good enough for a team serious about the League, or qualifying for it again next year. I'd be disappointed if we did sign him as to me phrases like 'squad player' are just clichés for not being good enough to be in the team.

There are much better players out there and if we can't afford any of them something really doesn't make sense.

I think Gaston is worth another season for us, with the belief of RK behind him fully but lets see if he is still here come Sept

Would want to keep Gaston on and would be happy with Elia coming back as long as he is cheap . Handy player to have if we get hit by injuries . Always tries his best and if he improves then maybe we can make a profit . Wages should be low also so can't see any negative really

Still Classes himself a Saints player on Twitter also found this link of him training off season, looks like his been trying to get the best out of himself, Thumbs up from me

That vs.....http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/67/590x/584571_1.jpg

And there they were, lots of supporters and all those ex-pro pundits (or lots of them) saying it's the off season and one should be able to let your hair down. You make your choices in life and you tend to get out what you put in, so thumbs up from me as well.

Every time we bring another 'filler' in, it pushes back the opportunity for one of the kids.

And Koeman was supposed to be pro youth! Sadly, it seems less like happening, perhaps there aren't any consider good enough.

well maybe working with our youth day in day out hes seen there isnt much deepth to the squad and no chance of adding to it?

That vs.....http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/67/590x/584571_1.jpg

And there they were, lots of supporters and all those ex-pro pundits (or lots of them) saying it's the off season and one should be able to let your hair down. You make your choices in life and you tend to get out what you put in, so thumbs up from me as well.

agreed.

I genuinely believe there are very good players in Elia and Ramirez. I was so excited when we got Gaston as I'd seen a bit of him before he joined but he's been hugely disappointing. I'm not against giving them one more chance but for Gaston it really is his last chance.

I think he showed a few things that given a pre-season he could be a useful squad player for us. The Newcastle game where he was deployed as a second striker paid dividends.

If he is not too expensive I think he'd be a solid addition.

I felt the goals at Newcastle owed a lot to fortune and didn't see much else from him. Maybe you are right, it can take some players longer to settle in that others. Plus his wife is hot so get him on the bus.

Why wouldnt people want him back? He's (supposedly) pretty cheap, and is obviously quite talented, and shown he's willing to work hard. Didnt always work out for him last season, but he came into the side when a lot of other players form dipped quite a lot... He's got great experience and if we do well in the cups / Europe we'll almost certainly need a few him. He's almost certainly better than McQueen and Isgrove too, so can we really expect much better?

I think Gaston is worth another season for us, with the belief of RK behind him fully but lets see if he is still here come Sept

He's made very little impact here or at Hull in 3 years at England.

I don't buy the 'Koeman will get the best out of him' line either. His belief didn't really do much for Long, Djuricic or Mayuka last year.

This would be a bit of a strange signing as think we already have plenty of options in the 2 wide positions. I would personally rather see us adding another target man striking option to add better cover for Pelle than another wide player who is presumably going to be well down the pecking order.

This would be a bit of a strange signing as think we already have plenty of options in the 2 wide positions. I would personally rather see us adding another target man striking option to add better cover for Pelle than another wide player who is presumably going to be well down the pecking order.

Options in the wide positions, but no actual wide players. Neither Rodriguez nor Long are "wingers" and though he has wing play in his repertoire, Mane has proved he's more valuable in the middle. Elia is more of a touchline hugger as would give us something different for the matches where we don't have an overlapping left back (read: any match within 6 weeks of Bertrand's surgery).

Why, when they play completely different positions?

Anywhere in the attacking midfield line up of three vs anywhere in the attacking midfield line up of three.

Yep, I guess you're right.

Thanks for your input

Edited by Nolan
Because the post below pointed out my failings.

Anywhere in the attacking midfield line up of three vs anywhere in the attacking midfield live up of three.

Yep, I guess you're right.

Thanks for your input

exactly. so one plays in the line up, and the other in the live up.

they are completely different positions

Options in the wide positions, but no actual wide players. Neither Rodriguez nor Long are "wingers" and though he has wing play in his repertoire, Mane has proved he's more valuable in the middle. Elia is more of a touchline hugger as would give us something different for the matches where we don't have an overlapping left back (read: any match within 6 weeks of Bertrand's surgery).

You could be right that this is why Koeman wants him - I just can't see him in practice getting many games ahead of the other options we have. The way I see it, we can change the wide positions around easily already when there are injuries/loss of form without a significant drop in our quality. Whereas an injury to Pelle (or Wanyama for that matter) would have a much more significant impact, so it's these areas that I would focus on to improve our backup (as well as getting a CB to replace Toby of course!)

He's made very little impact here or at Hull in 3 years at England.

I don't buy the 'Koeman will get the best out of him' line either. His belief didn't really do much for Long, Djuricic or Mayuka last year.

Is there really still a Saints fan that doesnt think Long's been a success?!!

Long is one of my favourite players. Been a great signing.

He has basically done what he has always done, no better, no worse. Great signing is overdoing it IMO.

Wouldn't be near my first choice starting lineup but a handy sub.

Thing you cannot escape from is that he misses too many presentable chances. Fortunately for him he works very hard so fans lay off him a bit in that regard.

He has basically done what he has always done, no better, no worse. Great signing is overdoing it IMO.

Wouldn't be near my first choice starting lineup but a handy sub.

Thing you cannot escape from is that he misses too many presentable chances. Fortunately for him he works very hard so fans lay off him a bit in that regard.

What I see is difficult to assign in an assists or goals column... He just makes things happen. He is a constant threat, harassing the back line.

If his goals to chances ratio was higher he would have been £25m and too good for us.

What I see is difficult to assign in an assists or goals column... He just makes things happen. He is a constant threat, harassing the back line.

If his goals to chances ratio was higher he would have been £25m and too good for us.

I guess you're the type that prefers Maccy Ds over filet mignon.

Edited by shurlock

Back on topic, with Elia. I cant see him getting near the first 11 barring heavy injuries.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1756[/ATTACH]

With Juanmi, Long, Ward-prowse, Davis and maybe even Ramirez ahead of him

Of course that assumes we play the first starting 11 in all games in all competitions. Didn't spurs play two different teams, last season, one in the Europa and another in the league?

1. No I don't think Long has been a success. I think he has been average a best, scoring very few goals at home to poor opposition.

2. My point was more regarding Koeman and his apparently magical ability to improve everyone who plays for us. Has he really turned Long into something special, putting in performances Hull and WBA fans could only dream of under the stewardship of Bruce and Clarke? I mean, if we paid £20m and Koeman got the best out of him, surely we should be fighting off bids of £15m-20m.

1. No I don't think Long has been a success. I think he has been average a best, scoring very few goals at home to poor opposition.

2. My point was more regarding Koeman and his apparently magical ability to improve everyone who plays for us. Has he really turned Long into something special, putting in performances Hull and WBA fans could only dream of under the stewardship of Bruce and Clarke? I mean, if we paid £20m and Koeman got the best out of him, surely we should be fighting off bids of £15m-20m.

Amazing we finished 7th in the PL with so many sh!t or "average at best" players. Think of where we could be with some good ones!!