All things Labour Party

CHAPEL END CHARLIE

More intelligent right-wing commentators than you (although admittedly not as far-right as you) realise the existential threat to the UK of a one-party state with a zombie opposition.

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21707209-labours-implosion-leaves-britain-without-functioning-opposition-more-dangerous?cid1=cust/ednew/n/bl/n/20160915n/owned/n/n/nwl/n/n/n/n

When Corbyn wins the leadership election with the majority of votes from his personality cult, as surely he will, the centre-left needs urgently to look upon the decomposed remains of the Labour party as the opportunity to re-form a social democratic parliamentary party dedicated to fighting for political power through the electoral ballot box, with policies that reach across narrow political-tribal borders.

I'm a centre right Conservative although I realise that I might appear to be further to the right from your position on the left of the political spectrum.

For somebody as mega-intelligent as yourself, I'm pleased to see that despite making bad mistakes in your political judgements, such as Corbyn's chances of election to the leadership of the Labour Party in the original contest, I'm pleased to see that you have learned from it and now acknowledge that he will almost certainly triumph again.

As you say, under those circumstances, there will arise an SDP Mk2 Party to fill the vacuum and to cater for the centre left Guardian readership, but it will take time to gain momentum and Corbyn's rump of lefties will split the Labour vote.

More intelligent right-wing commentators than you (although admittedly not as far-right as you) realise the existential threat to the UK of a one-party state with a zombie opposition.

Scots now have little time for either of the parties that would rule them from Westminster.

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21707209-labours-implosion-leaves-britain-without-functioning-opposition-more-dangerous?cid1=cust/ednew/n/bl/n/20160915n/owned/n/n/nwl/n/n/n/n

Why do most commentators conflate "Scots" with "Scottish Nationalists"?

c.50% of Scots who voted in the 2015 general election voted for "Westminster" parties.

Or, put another way, only 35.5% of the Scottish electorate voted for the Scottish Nationalist Party in the 2015 general election.

So, when these commentators refer to "Scots" as a whole, what they really mean is "just over a third of Scots".

(Yes, I know that stats can be spun to fit a given narrative, but that works both ways...)

This protracted leadership contest just illustrates how unelectable Labour are at the moment. Exactly how long does the simple task of picking a leader take?

I despise the Tories but at least they just got the job done. Pick a few electable candidates, it becomes obvious who will win so the others drop out. Labour are doing all this ****ing around when everyone knows who will win. And after the whole sorry saga they will end up with someone the rest of the MPs hate. How can you trust a party to run a country when they can't even get something this simple right.

Hopefully it will result in the death of Labour and we get a new centre left party devoid of all the ******** and without the ties to the unions.

This protracted leadership contest just illustrates how unelectable Labour are at the moment. Exactly how long does the simple task of picking a leader take?

I despise the Tories but at least they just got the job done. Pick a few electable candidates, it becomes obvious who will win so the others drop out. Labour are doing all this ****ing around when everyone knows who will win. And after the whole sorry saga they will end up with someone the rest of the MPs hate. How can you trust a party to run a country when they can't even get something this simple right.

Hopefully it will result in the death of Labour and we get a new centre left party devoid of all the ******** and without the ties to the unions.

Couldn't agree more. There's no one to actually vote for that isn't tory at the moment.

Depressing morning. Nick Cohen summarises what most Labour supporters feel. http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/09/this-could-be-the-end-of-the-labour-party/

'Banal in content, conspiracist in essence, utopian in aspiration and vicious in practice.'

Cohen is pretty much always great. This passage perfectly sums up the issue, as played out by Corbynistas on here and, especially, in the Guardian comments section which is home for the utterly deranged these days. Thankfully I only ever read them and don't join in, I'd probably be moderated out of there within 48 hours if I did anyway.

Anyway, here he is, making the point that the Corbynidiots think they are the only people who have ever thought about social justice or fairness in society...

"Utopias are always banal. Corbyn’s Utopia allows his supporters to wallow in the warmth of self-righteousness. They want to end austerity. Stop greed. Bring peace. How they do it is not their concern. Practicalities are dangerous. They take you away from utopia and back into the messy, Blairite realm of compromises and second-bests.

Anyone who knows history knows that utopianism can justify viciousness. By his supporters’ reasoning, leftists who are against Corbyn must be in favour of poverty, greed and war. All tactics are justified in the struggle against such monsters."

The behaviour of the Momentum mentalists to the Labour MP in Brighton - literally the only Labour MP for miles and miles and miles and miles around - is this thinking writ large. The sea of blue constituencies surrounding him aren't the problem across that swathe of SE England, but the solitary "Red Tory" scumbag is and he must be deselected forthwith. Mental, mental, mental.

Depressing morning. Nick Cohen summarises what most Labour supporters feel. http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/09/this-could-be-the-end-of-the-labour-party/

'Banal in content, conspiracist in essence, utopian in aspiration and vicious in practice.'

An excellent and eviscerating article, as you'd expect from Nick Cohen, who had actually written about all of this years before Corbynism itself happened, in a brilliant book called 'What's Left'.

Cohen wins the Corbynista Cup for being their Least Favourite Jew (he's actually a recent convert) - in what is quite a crowded field (a number of the Guardian commentators, for example, all enemies of the people). The ad hominem venom that always lurks BTL in his articles is something to behold, the responses encompassing and confirming 'banal in content, conspiracist in essence, utopian in aspiration and vicious in practice.'

Corbyn was always going to win, even if Smith had been brilliant, which he wasn't by any stretch. But given all that's happened, this is probably the beginning of something. The further and rapid decline of the Labour party as a party of change, certainly - Corbyn is May's very useful idiot. Hopefully, though, it's the beginning of a regrouped centre-left. If the majority of the PLP splits from the Corbynists - and it has a ready-made name, the Parliamentary Labour Party, which lays stress on how it's a party for change through legislative means - then very large numbers centre-left voters will have something genuinely to look forward to.

A Lab/lib merger would be the only alternative. Just creating another Labour Party would just split the vote and be an even bigger gift to the Tories.

Unfortunately I think the best move would be just to let him get on with it and hope he stands down after the next general election defeat. The whole thing is so frustrating, the Tories have made a right mess with this Brexit thing and I can't see an easy way out for May, a decent Labour would wipe the floor with them at the next election IMO.

A Lab/lib merger would be the only alternative. Just creating another Labour Party would just split the vote and be an even bigger gift to the Tories.

Unfortunately I think the best move would be just to let him get on with it and hope he stands down after the next general election defeat. The whole thing is so frustrating, the Tories have made a right mess with this Brexit thing and I can't see an easy way out for May, a decent Labour would wipe the floor with them at the next election IMO.

how have they made a right mess of BREXIT. nothing has happened yet

Apart from the PM, Chancelor and Brexit Boris all jumping ship days after the result. They didn't appear to have any sort of plan for Brexit, and still don't IMO.

lets wait and see. hardly call it a position where labour would wipe the floor with them, regardless on who is the leader

lets wait and see. hardly call it a position where labour would wipe the floor with them, regardless on who is the leader

True, but I think the Tories have got themselves in a tricky position. If May pussies out and goes for some sort of soft Brexit they will get a kicking. They have to somehow make a hard exit work to keep their right wingers from turning to UKIP.

True, but I think the Tories have got themselves in a tricky position. If May pussies out and goes for some sort of soft Brexit they will get a kicking. They have to somehow make a hard exit work to keep their right wingers from turning to UKIP.

There's more kippers joining the Tories than going the other way.

May won't go for a soft Brexit. She realises that acceptance of the free movement of peoples as a condition of access to the single market is totally unacceptable to the majority of those who voted for a Brexit and that if she holds firm on that, there is an opportunity to make UKIP an irrelevance. If not, then as you say, they will become a significant threat in the next GE, picking up a substantial number of disaffected Labour voters from their traditional industrial heartlands, as well as those from the Tory right.

Apart from the PM, Chancelor and Brexit Boris all jumping ship days after the result. They didn't appear to have any sort of plan for Brexit, and still don't IMO.

No real progress can be made until the upcoming elections in mainland Europe have concluded. No point negotiating immediately only for the goalposts to change when Merkel and Hollande are ousted.

May won't go for a soft Brexit. She realises that acceptance of the free movement of peoples as a condition of access to the single market is totally unacceptable to the majority of those who voted for a Brexit and that if she holds firm on that, there is an opportunity to make UKIP an irrelevance. If not, then as you say, they will become a significant threat in the next GE, picking up a substantial number of disaffected Labour voters from their traditional industrial heartlands, as well as those from the Tory right.

Agree, but I think either a Brexit Lite, or a Full on Brexit resulting in a bad effect on the economy would see swathes of middle England turning to a pro EU labour - if it was centre left with a decent leader.

This is one of he dumbest posts I've ever read on here - even as a kipper fantasy. Can you offer some actual analysis on how a party with the grand total of one MP - a dissident in his own party, at that - is going to be a threat to May in the next General Election? With the second-largest party in the Commons self-imploding, she is under absolutely no threat from anyone in 2020, especially with the compound effects of boundary changes. The Tories could choose whatever form of Brexit they want to negotiate and still get a comfortable majority. The reality - again something you preposterously deny - is that the EU won't let her have whatever she wants, and will ensure there's an economically punitive exit.

I'd recommend some remedial reading for you but it won't do any good.

25F0C70B00000578-2963721-image-a-6_1424597129744.jpg

This is one of he dumbest posts I've ever read on here - even as a kipper fantasy. Can you offer some actual analysis on how a party with the grand total of one MP - a dissident in his own party, at that - is going to be a threat to May in the next General Election? With the second-largest party in the Commons self-imploding, she is under absolutely no threat from anyone in 2020, especially with the compound effects of boundary changes. The Tories could choose whatever form of Brexit they want to negotiate and still get a comfortable majority. The reality - again something you preposterously deny - is that the EU won't let her have whatever she wants, and will ensure there's an economically punitive exit.

If Labour offered a decent alternative UKIP wouldn't have to win one seat to be a threat, just have to take enough of the Tory vote. Corbyn means that won't happen though. But fact is at the next Election Labour can play the back in EU card wheras the Tories have to keep the right happy.

This is one of the dumbest responses too, making the sort of arrogant assumptions that you did when predicting the result of the first Labour leadership contest and generally putting your own spin on what I said, so that it reads what you want to think I said. As somebody as mega-intelligent as you believe yourself to be ought to realise, the number of seats held by a party under the first past the post system, bears scant relationship to the percentage of the votes they receive. In a number of constituencies, it doesn't take much of a percentage swing for the seat to change hands. I have never said that the Conservatives will be defeated in the next election, but there is scope whilst Labour is totally unelectable under Corbyn for an alternative party like UKIP to increase their support and to make a breakthrough into having a significant number of MPs. Obviously not enough to win the election, but enough to pose a threat in the future unless action is taken to pander to their concerns and policies. Perhaps you ought to recognise that UKIP was capable of forcing the Conservatives into holding the referendum in the first place, regardless of having no presence in Parliament.

I'm afraid though that in the same way that you made an arse of yourself with your predictions about Corbyn, you lack the insight or foresight to see the wider picture.

You and other lefties crowed about how the economy would implode as a result of a Brexit vote, lapping up the predictions of the so-called experts who have now been proved wrong about their forecasts of the immediate effects and who are now backtracking. Therefore in the same way, it is ridiculous to talk in your usual superior arrogant way about realities. A reality can only be based on fact, something that does not apply to the outcome of talks between us and the EU in the future. You can make an educated guess, like you did in the Corbyn situation, but please accept that it will be only that, nothing more.

And you ought to also accept that what would be considered punitive economically for us, would also be punitive economically for the EU too, would it not? :rolleyes:

Racist Abbott made shadow home sec , you couldn't make it up

The more salient point is that in promoting the private-school-educating Abbott, and having promoted the multimillionaire Thornberry in the last reshuffle, the Leader, Shadow Home Secretary and Shadow Foreign Secretary are all in adjoining north London constituencies (and McDonnell is not far away in NW London). Never in all its history has the Labour party been dominated by a ruinous clique so tightly focused in a tiny bubble of liberal, middle class, public-sector, metropolitan London.

I wonder what Labour voters in the regional heartlands will make of that?

The more salient point is that in promoting the private-school-educating Abbott,

Then there's Lady Whitewash herself Shami Chakrabarti who despite saying people should be grateful for their wonderful state education educates her kid privately . Although when asked why , claims that her husband made the decision against her wishes. Poor little thing , bullied & under the thumb. A better defence would have been an Abbott & claim that Asian mothers will go to the wall for their children

Then there's Lady Whitewash herself Shami Chakrabarti who despite saying people should be grateful for their wonderful state education educates her kid privately . Although when asked why , claims that her husband made the decision against her wishes. Poor little thing , bullied & under the thumb. A better defence would have been an Abbott & claim that Asian mothers will go to the wall for their children

Again, for me the biggest issue with Chakrabarti isn't her personal hypocrisy but the fact of the whitewash itself and her unconcern about the reality or the appearance of that. Remember, this was someone who wasn't even a Labour party member until a few weeks ago - and then in quick succession accepted an offer to chair the Jew-baiting inquiry, joined the Labour party, produced a sanitised report, accepted a seat in the House of Lords, and is made a senior party spokesperson.

It must be the fastest rise to power in political history!

Meanwhile the real damage of her whitewash continues unabated. There are many particular instance of the whitewash but here's one damming example:

http://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/161658/claims-antisemitism-labour-whitewashed-chakrabarti-inquiry

To ignore first-hand reports of mutterings about a "Jewish conspiracy" at the very heart of the leadership team is astonishing.

Meanwhile, the Jew-hating continues. Here's an innocent looking tweet by a Labour councillor, thanking some named supporters:

https://twitter.com/joshbrandwood/status/779689717302452225

Those 'supporters' include a Trotskyist from TUSC who repeats anti-Semitic conspiracy theories, a supporter ejected from the Labour party for racism, and a promoter of neo-Nazi website called Veterans Today.

It's everywhere. Before it's deletion, and in the BTL of a Guardian article by one of its Jewish writers, I caught this:

Paul Crow 1m ago

Can you be a journalist at the Guardian and have a foreskin?

If you check out the author you'll see he's a particularly aggressive Corbynista.

With Chabrakarti's whitewash, the Jew haters in the party evidently feel emboldened.

Beyond depressing.

Yes Shami, it does make you a hypocrite. I'm amazed that she doesn't seem to know the definition of the word, but she is a shining example of one. She's in good company in the Labour Party when it comes to educating their children in the Private sector and then lecturing the populace about how unfair selective education is.

Verbal will you stop posting dodgy links hawking "Hebrew manuscripts?" This thread is about socialism not some ancient cult.

I do apologise if posting a link from the Jewish Chronicle offends you, Condomboy. I can see how that invades your safe space.

• 2 months later...

For the vanishingly small number of people who now give a ****, this week's YouGov poll couldn't be clearer about what is dragging Labour down.

Labour are a record-breaking 17 points behind the Tories (Tories 42% Lab 25%)

Corbyn himself is a record-breaking 33 points behind May (49% to 16%) on the question of who'd make the best PM.

He's like a ten-ton boat anchor on a dinghy.

For the vanishingly small number of people who now give a ****, this week's YouGov poll couldn't be clearer about what is dragging Labour down.

Labour are a record-breaking 17 points behind the Tories (Tories 42% Lab 25%)

Corbyn himself is a record-breaking 33 points behind May (49% to 16%) on the question of who'd make the best PM.

He's like a ten-ton boat anchor on a dinghy.

If you'd rather vote May than Corbyn, please join the Tory party.

So speaks a Corbynist, mindlessly parroting the 'party' line: if you're centre-Left but oppose Corbyn you absolutely must be a Tory.

Those percentages are only going to get wider apart with such fatuous dimwittery.

And it's only going to get worse, as people see what scumbags the Corbynist cabal really are. Here's another Corbynist, outside a rally led by Corbyn, yelling at Peter Tatchell by spouting one of the Corbynists' favourite conspiracy theories - that the White Helmets are Anglo/US spies, directed by mysterious Jewish forces.

https://twitter.com/JonIronmonger/status/807550636065755136

What's especially lovely about this conspiracy theory is that it is widely believed by Assad and his murderous gang, so that when he retakes east Aleppo, courtesy of Putin, the White Helmets will be, literally, in the firing line.

You must be so proud.

Why is Tatchell harassing Corbyn and not May?

Because he (reasonably) demands better from someone who claims to campaign against war and injustice. In reality, Corbyn and Stop the War only do so when the war and injustice is committed by the West.

Seems awfully defeatist. Wouldn't it be better to persuade some of the vast majority of people who would rather vote May than Corbyn?

Edited by DuncanRG

Because he (reasonably) demands better from someone who claims to campaign against war and injustice. In reality, Corbyn and Stop the War only do so when the war and injustice is committed by the West.

Seems awfully defeatist. Wouldn't it be better to persuade some of the vast majority of people who would rather vote May than Corbyn?

I'm only referring to Bliaright Verbal.

I'm only referring to Bliaright Verbal.

So just to be clear, are you one of those dimwitted Corbyn cultists who believe White Helmets conspiracy theory propagated by Assad's regime? Are you really that dribblingly stupid? I do hope not, for your sake.

I'm no Blairite, despite your desire to pigeon hole all those who find Corbynism - and the Putin-supporting Stop the War sham - morally bankrupt. Yet Blair deserves some credit, as late, great Christopher Hitchens says:

When Tony Blair took office, Slobodan Milošević was cleansing and raping the republics of the former Yugoslavia. Mullah Omar was lending Osama bin Laden the hinterland of a failed and rogue state. Charles Taylor of Liberia was leading a hand-lopping militia of enslaved children across the frontier of Sierra Leone, threatening a blood-diamond version of Rwanda in West Africa. And the wealth and people of Iraq were the abused private property of Saddam Hussein and his crime family. Today, all of these Caligula figures are at least out of power, and at the best either dead or on trial. How can anybody with a sense of history not grant Blair some portion of credit for this? And how can anybody with a tincture of moral sense go into a paroxysm and yell that it is he who is the war criminal? It is as if all the civilians murdered by al-Qaeda and the Taliban in Iraq and Afghanistan are to be charged to his account. This is the chaotic mentality of Julian Assange and his groupies.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2011/02/hitchens-201102

One of the banal idiocies of the Corbynist cult is it holds Blair criminally responsible for all the evils unleashed by the Iraq invasion and all that's happened in Iraq and Syria since. Of course, the truth is that Blair had no effect on the outcome of anything in Iraq. The neo-cons who'd seized power in Washington were going to have their war with Saddam regardless, and the invasion would have happened with or without Blair or anyone else. So as much as anyone wants to decry his decision to support Bush, it changed absolutely nothing.

So a suggestion: you'll find you'll manage in life a lot better if you admit that the world might be a tad more complex than the Corbyn cultists would ever allow. Or you can, as here, simply revel in vacuous post-truth virtue-signalling until the cows come home.

So just to be clear, are you one of those dimwitted Corbyn cultists who believe White Helmets conspiracy theory propagated by Assad's regime? Are you really that dribblingly stupid? I do hope not, for your sake.

I'm no Blairite, despite your desire to pigeon hole all those who find Corbynism - and the Putin-supporting Stop the War sham - morally bankrupt. Yet Blair deserves some credit, as late, great Christopher Hitchens says:

When Tony Blair took office, Slobodan Milošević was cleansing and raping the republics of the former Yugoslavia. Mullah Omar was lending Osama bin Laden the hinterland of a failed and rogue state. Charles Taylor of Liberia was leading a hand-lopping militia of enslaved children across the frontier of Sierra Leone, threatening a blood-diamond version of Rwanda in West Africa. And the wealth and people of Iraq were the abused private property of Saddam Hussein and his crime family. Today, all of these Caligula figures are at least out of power, and at the best either dead or on trial. How can anybody with a sense of history not grant Blair some portion of credit for this? And how can anybody with a tincture of moral sense go into a paroxysm and yell that it is he who is the war criminal? It is as if all the civilians murdered by al-Qaeda and the Taliban in Iraq and Afghanistan are to be charged to his account. This is the chaotic mentality of Julian Assange and his groupies.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2011/02/hitchens-201102

One of the banal idiocies of the Corbynist cult is it holds Blair criminally responsible for all the evils unleashed by the Iraq invasion and all that's happened in Iraq and Syria since. Of course, the truth is that Blair had no effect on the outcome of anything in Iraq. The neo-cons who'd seized power in Washington were going to have their war with Saddam regardless, and the invasion would have happened with or without Blair or anyone else. So as much as anyone wants to decry his decision to support Bush, it changed absolutely nothing.

So a suggestion: you'll find you'll manage in life a lot better if you admit that the world might be a tad more complex than the Corbyn cultists would ever allow. Or you can, as here, simply revel in vacuous post-truth virtue-signalling until the cows come home.

How's the wife?

How's the wife?

So while you busy yourself making puerile comments, your shining hero Corbyn remains silent while Assad's murderers go door-to-door massacring men, women and children in East Aleppo.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-38301629

This is what Corbyn's allies on today's Morning Star call, with criminal cynicism, the 'liberation of Aleppo'.

Do you agree with this? Do you agree with the conspiracy theory that the White Helmets are western stooges and the people they rescue merely crisis actors?

Will you agree with the White Helmets' appeal:

For years, our humanitarian volunteers have worked to save the lives of our people in Aleppo: operating in underground hospitals, rescuing entire families buried under the rubble and risking our lives to document what the daily war crimes committed by Assad regime [sic] and its ally Russia. We can do no more.

We can't believe the world's most powerful countries can't get 100,000 civilians to safety that is 4 KM away!

In short, are you interested in politics at all, or merely in being a brainless gimp in a 'personality' cult?